Canberra Raiders sign young Queensland stars

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders sign young Queensland stars

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders sign Peter Sterling Medallist Adrian Trevilyan

The Raiders have signed Peter Sterling Medallist Adrian Trevilyan, the North Queensland 18-year-old hooker who led Kirwan State High to victory in the NRL National Schoolboy Cup last month.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders sign Peter Sterling Medallist Adrian Trevilyan

Post by bonehead »

excellent
Edrick The Entertainer
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Great move. The big question mark at this club is who will take the reigns off Hodgson in 3-4 years time. Developing a good hooker under his wing is by far our biggest priority in the next year or two.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He was contracted to the Cowboys and playing for Townsville Blackhawks in the Mal Meninga Cup this year. Can't find any highlights vision.

Townsville Blackhawks profile:

Position Hooker
Date of birth July 7, 2001
Born and raised Townsville
Height 179cm
Weight 85kg
Occupation Student
Junior Club Burdekin
Biggest Career Achievement 2019 QLD Emerging Origin Squad, 2018 QLD Schoolboys, NQ Cowboys Development Player

https://blackhawkstsv.com.au/football/m ... -profiles/
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Wow I know his parents

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Seiffert82 wrote:Great move. The big question mark at this club is who will take the reigns off Hodgson in 3-4 years time. Developing a good hooker under his wing is by far our biggest priority in the next year or two.
Should have been Paterson. He was in front of Starling on skill.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

greeneyed wrote:He was contracted to the Cowboys and playing for Townsville Blackhawks in the Mal Meninga Cup this year. Can't find any highlights vision.

Townsville Blackhawks profile:

Position Hooker
Date of birth July 7, 2001
Born and raised Townsville
Height 179cm
Weight 85kg
Occupation Student
Junior Club Burdekin
Biggest Career Achievement 2019 QLD Emerging Origin Squad, 2018 QLD Schoolboys, NQ Cowboys Development Player

https://blackhawkstsv.com.au/football/m ... -profiles/
Good signing to replace Paterson. Looked sharp in the schoolboys

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Pretty much exactly the same background as the guy he replaces.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Why didn’t we retain Paterson?
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

sprintman wrote:Why didn’t we retain Paterson?
Not to sure. I think he was signed but with the late arrival of Starling and the lack of game time in cup from a development perspective he was probably questioning his future. Cant blame him going to sharks (only read this) when he goes up the pecking order to sit behind Brayley. Thats the unfortunate side of us not owning our own NSW cup side.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We need our own NSW Cup team, no doubt.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: October 10, 2019, 10:58 am We need our own NSW Cup team, no doubt.
Could not agree with this more. A clear, one stop shop development path. The benefits to training along with our high performance centre make it a must. Would be great for the recruitment of second tier players
Dont delete this GE
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

What's the Peter Sterling medal ?

Is it a journalism/media/tv personality award ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

-PJ- wrote:What's the Peter Sterling medal ?

Is it a journalism/media/tv personality award ?
Schoolboy award I think

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Should be called the EDIT then.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Settle down Elon.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It is the man of the match award in the National Schoolboys Final.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

HAHAHAH!
That's fantatic

but seriously, sounds good, just cram the juniors full of as much talent as you can and see what sticks.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

PigRickman wrote:
HAHAHAH!
That's fantatic

but seriously, sounds good, just cram the juniors full of as much talent as you can and see what sticks.
straight up numbers game
Edrick The Entertainer
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

zim wrote:Settle down Elon.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

That only gets you so far until everyone works out that the so called “pathway” doesn’t exist like other clubs with there own reserve grade. Then try and attract/ purchase the best juniors! You become a dumping ground for second stringers

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

That's a management/saleman issue for Stick and Mulholland.
I trust those guys to sell the value and development of the club... it's simple here, if you're good enough you're going to go far, and if your not... sadly, youre not

Feels like Stick is going to be the sort of guy who can sell the vision of this club quite well. And our pathway is not different to any other these days... which is sad... but it is what it is.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

PigRickman wrote:That's a management/saleman issue for Stick and Mulholland.
I trust those guys to sell the value and development of the club... it's simple here, if you're good enough you're going to go far, and if your not... sadly, youre not

Feels like Stick is going to be the sort of guy who can sell the vision of this club quite well. And our pathway is not different to any other these days... which is sad... but it is what it is.
I guess thats why we will end up as the English branch of the NRL in another 2 years. Thats of course until Isaac Moses takes control and Ricky has not much say. Just a matter of time. Lets see how many of the 20’s from this year push through.... at other clubs

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Ronny P wrote: October 10, 2019, 7:06 am
Not to sure. I think he was signed but with the late arrival of Starling and the lack of game time in cup from a development perspective he was probably questioning his future. Cant blame him going to sharks (only read this) when he goes up the pecking order to sit behind Brayley. Thats the unfortunate side of us not owning our own NSW cup side.

Whilst I would like to see us have our own NSW Cup side too Ronny, the reality is this.

What do the Roosters, Raiders, Storm, Eels, Sea Eagles, Sharks and Broncos have in common? They made the finals in 2019 and none of them had their own NSW or Qld Cup side.

The only team to have their own NSW Cup side and make the finals was Souths who ran their own side in 2019 after many years with North Sydney.

Newcastle, Penrith, Dogs, Dragons, Tigers and Warriors all ran their own NSW Cup teams and didn’t make the finals.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

What's wrong with our relationship with the Mounties? Seems to be a cost-effective way of managing our second tier players.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Seiffert82 wrote:What's wrong with our relationship with the Mounties? Seems to be a cost-effective way of managing our second tier players.
Although I don’t know the ins and outs of the deal it seems good to me as well.

We have full control (as seen in round 25 with Ricky resting players at a huge cost to Mounties).

Other than them not being Raiders I can’t see any problem.

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Bay53 wrote:
Ronny P wrote: October 10, 2019, 7:06 am

Whilst I would like to see us have our own NSW Cup side too Ronny, the reality is this.

What do the Roosters, Raiders, Storm, Eels, Sea Eagles, Sharks and Broncos have in common? They made the finals in 2019 and none of them had their own NSW or Qld Cup side.

The only team to have their own NSW Cup side and make the finals was Souths who ran their own side in 2019 after many years with North Sydney.

Newcastle, Penrith, Dogs, Dragons, Tigers and Warriors all ran their own NSW Cup teams and didn’t make the finals.
Not disagreeing just see it as a positive. This year we had a very strong 20’s squad with only about 6 players getting an opportunity at mounties and for one game at a time. From a development perspective my opinion is that you should be pushing the better 20’s through and testing them at that level or how do you know what you have. I do also think mounties went into panic mode when they lost 8 or 9 straight but regardless just don’t think the pathway creates an ability to test players. As an example i look at Penrith who have a strong junior base. They played over 50% of there 20’s squad in NSW cup consistently. Yes a few pushed through to grade but how else do you know what to keep and what not to. They where very competitive in NSW cup and i would think have sewn up future potential players on light money as a result. Do i think any of our 20’s could go straight jnto grade early?? Maybe Medlyn Paterson and Smith Shields all as back ups with a good pre season but the others just need a full year jn cup. Not the full squad but the key guys who just need time and there probably 8 of them. Just an opinion.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think the issue is whether it’s offering the best development and pathway for the players. I’m not sure that spending every weekend, except a few, heading down to south western Sydney to play in a team that has only one training run together... before playing their NSW Cup game is the best arrangement.

And once the Under 20s pass 20 years of age... and miss the top 30/development contract... they either get picked up by Mounties and likely have to move to western Sydney... or leave our system. I think that’s a shame for rugby league in the district. Some might stay in Canberra and play Canberra Raiders Cup... but the best of them head to other clubs.

I’m not sure we’re getting any players out of the Mounties district either. It’s a Parramatta junior zone and there are a heap of clubs in western Sydney picking up the best juniors. It’s not like Souths Logan, where we were getting a lot of good young players coming through... ie there was a real pathway to the Raiders.

Mounties is a good club and they’re good rugby league people there and I will support them while we’re affiliated.

I might be wrong in all that... but it’s just where my head space is at present.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders sign young North Queensland talent

THEY spearheaded Kirwan’s National Schoolboys Cup title, but next year hooker Adrian Trevilyan and half Brad Schneider will join the Canberra Raiders Under-20s on multi-year contracts. They will be joined by Townsville Blackhawks under-20s player of the year fullback Adam Cook.

Kirwan Bears champion winger Steven Numambo has also been targeted by the Raiders with the club in discussions with the teenager.

Read more: https://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/s ... 7c638893a2
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Great news...The future is looking bright indeed
Riaan
John Ferguson

Re: Canberra Raiders sign three young North Queensland stars

Post by Riaan »

Sad fact of the matter is that the NRL offers virtually no incentive to develop talent. Look how successful we have become since moving away from it.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

How long until they ask for upgrades ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Blogger »

This is a really positive story. Not only have we managed to sign some of the best schoolboy talent in Australia, they are all spine position players (hooker, half and fullback). More importantly they are all from North Queensland and have agreed to leave the clutches of the Cowboys, Broncos and Titans (lol). This is surely a positive sign as to how we are now seen as an NRL Club in terms of attractiveness to go and play for.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I read this as Raiders sign the next Smith, Cronk and Slater trio... :D

I liked Patterson, he looked the goods. However, Hodgo isnt going anywhere anytime soon, and he is probably a yr or 2 too far along in his career to look at being the successor.

Our halves selections for development players hasnt worked out so far, but Westcott looked ok too. Pity he seems to be going too.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

simo wrote: October 10, 2019, 11:53 am
greeneyed wrote: October 10, 2019, 10:58 am We need our own NSW Cup team, no doubt.
Could not agree with this more. A clear, one stop shop development path. The benefits to training along with our high performance centre make it a must. Would be great for the recruitment of second tier players
100%.
The NRL need to be serious about allowing us a pathway for youth and second tier development.