Roosters 13+
7%

Total votes: 29

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Jarrod Croker backs never-say die Canberra Raiders to rebound in 2020

The Canberra Raiders will build their 2020 redemption mission on a never-say-die attitude, captain Jarrod Croker urging fans to be a part of the side's journey.

"We've got to remember how this feels. Next year is a long way away, so we've got to hang tough and stick together," Croker said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Canberra Raiders fans bursting with pride. They turn out in droves to welcome home the Raiders 2019 Grand Final team, plus hear from co-captain Jarrod Croker. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/zEa450wFlb1

Hear from Canberra Raiders co-captains Jarrod Croker and Josh Hodgson at today's welcome home event for the 2019 Grand Final team at Raiders Belconnen. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/NlIR50wFluF

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr

GALLERY: Raiders welcomed home: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/10 ... omed-home/

VIDEO: Tunnel-cam... Raiders run out to Viking Clap: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/10 ... king-clap/
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

There's some great photos there.

Elliot looks a bit teary.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

RedRaider wrote: October 8, 2019, 4:02 pm
scooter wrote: October 7, 2019, 11:42 pm I have to say, the 2 most contentious moments of the grand final were both extremely rare 1 in a million (or whatever the odds may be) events that we are unlikely to see again in a very long time, if ever. What are the chances of both incidents happening in the same and both went against us. And then there was the firework in eye incident in Melbourne.

Anyway, despite not getting the result that we wanted, I thoroughly enjoyed our first GF Day experience in 25 years, highlighted by an unfortunate series of stuff-ups now synonymous with the NRL brand. My most memorable moments were:
> Ryan James forgetting his spiel (poor guy) that resulted in the rather abrupt cutover to the singing of the national anthem
> Daryl Braithwaite getting rushed off the field while still singing to allow the kickoff to the 2nd half. Surely someone is going to get fired for getting the timing so very very wrong!
> JWH told he had won the CC Medal and then didn't. Well done whichever dropkick decided to leak the result before all the votes have been counted
> Impromptu comedy sketches by Ben Cummins in each half.

I don't think I could have scripted any of it even if I tried!
There was another 'cracker' for those of us sitting in the Eastern stands. As the main 'entertainment' was playing (the entertainers having their back to us we couldn't see anything unless we looked at the big screen) they had firewords going off from some scaffolding on the Eastern side of the stage. There were about 6 or 7 exit points for the fireworks to shoot out of. The exit point on the far right (Chook supporters end) burst into flames and the ground staff immediately moved all the plastic sheets from behind the stage. Enter Fireman Sam to put out the fire. He has to climb up the scaffolding. He had a rope attached to a CO2 fire extinguisher. He pulled up the fire extinguisher and gave the fire 3 or 4 squirts before he got it out but there was still smoke coming from it. He then climbed down the scaffolding. A minute later the fire flared up again. To the rescue came Fireman Sam again. He got a little higher this time and sprayed the CO2 down onto the fire. Out went the fire again but there was still a little smoke. A couple of minutes later, the fire is back flaring at the top of the scaffolding. Up goes Fireman Sam a third time, he drags the fire extinguisher up via the rope and gives the fire a couple of squirts - the fire doesn't go out and Fireman Sam has run out of CO2. At ground level there is a clamour to find another extinguisher and Fireman Sam again climbs down the scaffolding. With the rope tied to the replacement CO2 extinguisher, up goes Fireman Sam to do battle with the dastardly flame. This time he is nearing the top and fireworks start to shoot from the exit point. Not as high as they should but still dangerous to Fireman Sam. I don't know that he was wearing eye protection either. After the fireworks settle down he uses the extinguisher to good effect and puts the fire out. There is still some smoke coming from the exit point, but the band finishes and they begin to dismantle the scaffolding. We gave Fireman Sam an ovation each and every time he got the fire out. Well done to him. It was a brave act to have to climb multiple times up the scaffolding, particularly after the fireworks began to go off on his fourth climb. I'm glad he wasn't hurt, but it was better than any of the other pre-game entertainment I saw at the Grand Final.
I was sitting in the supporter bay and spotted this! Had a good laugh every time it caught fire again!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

PigRickman wrote: October 7, 2019, 3:24 pm I have to say the further I get away from this game the more it’s hitting me

I was prepared in footy intellect sense to lose this game, their team is incredibly good and I knew we were going to habe to be incredible to best them, but I never believed for one second we would lose. I felt for a long time that we'd win the comp, I believed it with every ounce of my being... and now I just feel a little lost...
This sums up my feelings to a tee. The disappointment comes in waves. On the plus side - later this afternoon I was getting the occasional good memory wave. Like the Viking claps in the pub pre-game. Campo coming through the Novotel pub and shaking hands with all and sundry, posing for photos like a champ. The sea of green in the ground and the way we dominated either side of half time.

Then another bad wave hits and I feel sick and lost again.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 7, 2019, 5:25 pm If a trainer touches the ball or interferes with an opposition player it should be an automatic penalty to the other team. Simple as that.

It is their responsibility to ensure they don't impact on the game. If they can't do that properly, then bad luck.

Anyway, too little too late. The ref made a call. It was unfair, but the rules provide for it as they stand.
This is like the dead ball and +5 penalty in cricket when the ball strikes a helmet etc from the fielding team. Makes sense.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

PigRickman wrote: October 7, 2019, 4:57 pm Lui had a really strong season but his post season was basically who he has been his entire career
plenty of my non-Raiders friends questioning his selection pre and post game. I think it true he has no extra level. When everyone is switched on and the team is up against the better sides he lacks physicality and tends to get dominated.

But I think he has been good for us. He is a pro who makes the most of his ability. Week-in week-out he provides minutes of decent quality, no matter the importance of the game or the score. I hope he plays a next in line role next year, where he can play 6-10 games and contributes to the new and improved culture of the club.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Boomercm wrote: October 8, 2019, 7:03 pm
PigRickman wrote: October 7, 2019, 4:57 pm Lui had a really strong season but his post season was basically who he has been his entire career
plenty of my non-Raiders friends questioning his selection pre and post game. I think it true he has no extra level. When everyone is switched on and the team is up against the better sides he lacks physicality and tends to get dominated.

But I think he has been good for us. He is a pro who makes the most of his ability. Week-in week-out he provides minutes of decent quality, no matter the importance of the game or the score. I hope he plays a next in line role next year, where he can play 6-10 games and contributes to the new and improved culture of the club.
Yep, ideally thats his role, some guy who when a few of Tapine, or Guler, or Hors, or Papa are unavailable, he comes in and does his job. And he will but yeah, just lacked that extra gear to take it up in the games that mattered
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Lately Ive been having this recurring nightmare, where a man named James Tedesco keeps screwing us over.... first by back flipping on a deal to join our club, then by scoring a match winning try to end our grand final hopes.
As a side note, I thought it was a little disappointing to see a lack of banners or signs at the game.... I believe i only saw 1 all night.... so many turned up to support us, i was just expecting a plethora or quirky banners like "mmmm tonight we eat chicken" which of course would have backfired on us...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I said before the game Sutton should have been in the team in place of Lui. Lui works incredibly hard, and I do admire him for what he’s achieved. He outplayed Paulo and Boyd in 2018, who were on much bigger pay packets, no doubt. But he doesn’t have enough impact, and has too many crucial errors in him. Next year we need some of the young middles stepping up to the next level. I agree with an earlier post that Lui would be a great role model in the club.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: October 8, 2019, 8:03 pm I said before the game Sutton should have been in the team in place of Lui. Lui works incredibly hard, and I do admire him for what he’s achieved. He outplayed Paulo and Boyd in 2018, who were on much bigger pay packets, no doubt. But he doesn’t have enough impact, and has too many crucial errors in him. Next year we need some of the young middles stepping up to the next level. I agree with an earlier post that Lui would be a great role model in the club.

I wonder if he suffers from nerves or becomes too caught up in the situation at times. I feel like a large proportion of his errors come on his first involvement in the game. Maybe he will have an incredible offseason and find another level but I suspect you’re correct and he will become a more than handy back up player.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BTW... I have long been a critic of the NRL Grand Final entertainment. But Sunday was just great. A act where even old people like me know the songs. It was presented brilliantly. Great performances. I really enjoyed it at the ground. Strangely Nine didn’t show all of it.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I thought it was a bit ****, but everyone around me seemed to be into it...

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PigRickman wrote: October 8, 2019, 9:07 pm I thought it was a bit ****, but everyone around me seemed to be into it...

Maybe you’re just now a middle aged person. Everyone at the ground seemed to like it.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

haha middled aged people seemed to enjoy it!
I think im positively washed, like 70 year old washed!

Ive never been much of a music person though so maybe thats it
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

jamesp1987 wrote: October 6, 2019, 8:45 am As a Bradford Bulls fan who hadn’t watched an NRL game up until about 5 years ago I was about ready to give up on rugby league (Bradford’s problems are very well publicised). But then I started watching Canberra, slowly my love for the greatest sport in the world started to come back. Then when Whitehead came over, a player I saw make his debut for Bradford years earlier and I was a full on Raider. It hasn’t been the easiest ride over the past few years but now Bateman and Whitehead are back together in the back row I’m starting to believe anything is possible.

I honestly never thought I’d get the chance to be as excited for a game as I am for the upcoming grand final.

Whatever happens every single player and member of staff has performed way above any hope or expectation at the start of the season. Win or lose this team will be remembered. BUT, we’re here now so let’s go and win the thing.

A slightly inebriated Pom.
Somehow that made me tear up!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I just hope we are back in a GF soon. It hurt so much to lose it like that, I can't take another 2017-18. Hopefully this season hasn't taken too much out of our guys.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Azza wrote: October 8, 2019, 9:41 pm I just hope we are back in a GF soon. It hurt so much to lose it like that, I can't take another 2017-18. Hopefully this season hasn't taken too much out of our guys.
Papa would be the guy I’d most worry about. You can’t play his position at the level he does as consistently as he does for long periods. He has a massive workload with Origin and was huge through the finals. He looked busted at the end. I’m not sure how he is best managed but happy to see him eased into the season, coast through till Origin and then see him ramp up to full output for 2020 finals. I’d be nervous if he started the season anywhere near where he left off.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Billy Walker wrote: October 8, 2019, 10:09 pm
Azza wrote: October 8, 2019, 9:41 pm I just hope we are back in a GF soon. It hurt so much to lose it like that, I can't take another 2017-18. Hopefully this season hasn't taken too much out of our guys.
Papa would be the guy I’d most worry about. You can’t play his position at the level he does as consistently as he does for long periods. He has a massive workload with Origin and was huge through the finals. He looked busted at the end. I’m not sure how he is best managed but happy to see him eased into the season, coast through till Origin and then see him ramp up to full output for 2020 finals. I’d be nervous if he started the season anywhere near where he left off.
Id be really happy for papa to have massively reduced minutes for the first half of the season. More game time into horse, sutton and ghuler
Dont delete this GE
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyegd wrote: October 8, 2019, 9:00 pm BTW... I have long been a critic of the NRL Grand Final entertainment. But Sunday was just great. A act where even old people like me know the songs. It was presented brilliantly. Great performances. I really enjoyed it at the ground. Strangely Nine didn’t show all of it.

On the big screen I could see the back of a big bear of a man in Raiders gear going off in the virtual Mosh Pit. Was that you?? 🙂
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

I don't understand why Lui gets dominated so easily. I mean, he doesn't look that much different in size to Papa. Yet if you look up any 'big hits' against any Raiders players, it's always Lui or Fensom gets smashed or turtled.

The thing I used to like about Lui was his lack of errors. No matter how hard the collision, he never seemed to drop it. That's why I preferred him over Sutton, because Sutton seems to drop cold it at least once every game like a Burgess.

But the last few weeks Lui has had some really poor unforced errors, which now puts a massive target on his back IMO. His "safe hands" were the only thing going for him.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

Have been thinking a lot about the match and what 90% of the reports have focused on. The controversial calls really hurt and maybe we would have won with one or more of them going our way but we can't be sure of that. If we removed them from the picture and we still didn't win, we would be easily able to focus on where we need to improve.

And that's what I'm choosing to take from the match. Our defence was strong, go forward was excellent but little creativity or structure in attack. It was a very 2019 Raiders performance.

If we can continue the defensive work that has taken us so far this year and really focus on our attack (Hi George), I really believe 2020 is going to be something special. I am super excited (and scared for shattered expectations)! :)
BJ
Steve Walters

2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Game Day

Post by BJ »

Back to ‘Six again’, Looking at the direction that the ball flies backwards and where it contacts Simonsson’s shoulder the ball is most likely to have hit both Tedesco and Simonsson. If it only contacted the Raiders player it would have most likely traveled more vertically.

When Annesley comes out and says it only hit a Raiders player, does he have any understanding of Physics and Parallax error?

I reckon a camera positioned in the right place would show the ball contacting both players. The referee who made the initial six again was probably in the best position to see the ball flight.
Last edited by BJ on October 9, 2019, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Parallax errors. Goal or no goal. Image
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Finchy wrote: October 9, 2019, 10:02 am I don't understand why Lui gets dominated so easily. I mean, he doesn't look that much different in size to Papa. Yet if you look up any 'big hits' against any Raiders players, it's always Lui or Fensom gets smashed or turtled.

The thing I used to like about Lui was his lack of errors. No matter how hard the collision, he never seemed to drop it. That's why I preferred him over Sutton, because Sutton seems to drop cold it at least once every game like a Burgess.

But the last few weeks Lui has had some really poor unforced errors, which now puts a massive target on his back IMO. His "safe hands" were the only thing going for him.
I'd say Sutton will be breathing down his neck after another pre-season and a year of NRL experience.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

greeneyed wrote:BTW... I have long been a critic of the NRL Grand Final entertainment. But Sunday was just great. A act where even old people like me know the songs. It was presented brilliantly. Great performances. I really enjoyed it at the ground. Strangely Nine didn’t show all of it.

I agree it was great, but now they need to do something about half time. Those silly games in the middle then Darryl playing at the end and being cut off half way through with the players running on was ridiculous.

I think they should look to move the big act to half time and play a smaller act in the lead up
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

halftime was 17 minutes
Edrick The Entertainer
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Game Day

Post by LastRaider »

bonehead wrote:halftime was 17 minutes
That’s fine. Do a 15 minute set and extend half time to 25 minutes. It works in the NFL
Last edited by LastRaider on October 9, 2019, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

And one republic played for what felt like an hour

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

greeneyed wrote: October 8, 2019, 8:03 pm I said before the game Sutton should have been in the team in place of Lui. Lui works incredibly hard, and I do admire him for what he’s achieved. He outplayed Paulo and Boyd in 2018, who were on much bigger pay packets, no doubt. But he doesn’t have enough impact, and has too many crucial errors in him. Next year we need some of the young middles stepping up to the next level. I agree with an earlier post that Lui would be a great role model in the club.

Wasn’t Lui one of our only players not to have made an error at some point toward the middle of the season? Is he a better starting player? I seem to remember that being the case but maybe I’m mistaken.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

simo wrote: October 9, 2019, 9:18 am
Id be really happy for papa to have massively reduced minutes for the first half of the season. More game time into horse, sutton and ghuler
The Roosters showed us the blueprint this year.

In effect, we are aiming to go back to back. We fell one try short of the ultimate prize. We will have a target in our backs, and have to try and recreate the hunger and drive we had this year for another 12 months. The Roosters Had a 12 month plan for rotating and resting players to be strong for finals. Let’s rip that off completely.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

-TW- wrote: October 9, 2019, 11:41 am And one republic played for what felt like an hour

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
I thought it was one direction
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

simo wrote: October 9, 2019, 9:18 am
I think that's what we'll see along with Soliola on the bench in round 1 with Sutton or Lui starting.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RedRaider wrote: October 9, 2019, 9:40 am
greeneyegd wrote: October 8, 2019, 9:00 pm BTW... I have long been a critic of the NRL Grand Final entertainment. But Sunday was just great. A act where even old people like me know the songs. It was presented brilliantly. Great performances. I really enjoyed it at the ground. Strangely Nine didn’t show all of it.

On the big screen I could see the back of a big bear of a man in Raiders gear going off in the virtual Mosh Pit. Was that you?? 🙂
No, not me.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

LastRaider wrote: October 9, 2019, 11:40 am
bonehead wrote:halftime was 17 minutes
That’s fine. Do a 15 minute set and extend half time to 25 minutes. It works in the NFL
Hmm. When we start getting artists the calbire of Prince and Beyonce you could make this argument.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

pacman wrote: October 9, 2019, 11:09 am Have been thinking a lot about the match and what 90% of the reports have focused on. The controversial calls really hurt and maybe we would have won with one or more of them going our way but we can't be sure of that. If we removed them from the picture and we still didn't win, we would be easily able to focus on where we need to improve.

And that's what I'm choosing to take from the match. Our defence was strong, go forward was excellent but little creativity or structure in attack. It was a very 2019 Raiders performance.

If we can continue the defensive work that has taken us so far this year and really focus on our attack (Hi George), I really believe 2020 is going to be something special. I am super excited (and scared for shattered expectations)! :)
I think that there is something in that. I was saying two months out from the finals that the attack needed to improve... and it did, but not by enough. We needed to offer more threat with the ball in the Grand Final, and just couldn't quite get there. I don't think we could ask anything else of the defence.

It has been an incredible season, but it'll be important for the club to keep developing and evolving. I think one of the mistakes of 2016 was that we thought we just needed to keep that squad together and we'd win a premiership. It'll be important to freshen up the squad again with a bit of new blood... George Williams is a good start.

I admit, I'm proud, but still shattered and depressed. I went over to The Canberra Times to try and get a copy of Monday's edition. Sold out yesterday, not a copy to be had. The nice woman at the desk printed the front page in life size version for me instead... which was really nice of her. Have to admit I teared up just walking out of their office with it.

https://twitter.com/daveray99/status/11 ... 6105817088