Raiders fight off rivals to pinch electric sprint champ Xavier Savage from the Roosters

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Raiders fight off rivals to pinch electric sprint champ Xavier Savage from the Roosters

Post by greeneyed »

He’s only 17. Let’s see how he looks when training with the top squad this summer and playing with our Jersey Flegg team.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: Raiders fight off rivals to pinch electric sprint champ Xavier Savage from the Roosters

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I’m getting the feeling that because he’s only 17, we should see how he looks when training with the top squad this summer, and playing with our Jersey Flegg team

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

Xavier has been named for the Tweed Seagulls MM side so might be staying another year on the GC and then heading to Canberra in 2021.

If you search for Red Corner Promotions on Facebook there is some footage of him carving up for the Cairns Crusaders U17's at the recent Murri Carnival.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

ALX22 wrote: October 7, 2019, 7:28 pm Xavier has been named for the Tweed Seagulls MM side so might be staying another year on the GC and then heading to Canberra in 2021.

If you search for Red Corner Promotions on Facebook there is some footage of him carving up for the Cairns Crusaders U17's at the recent Murri Carnival.
I’d like him to come down for preseason and do some sprint training with our back 3.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He's said he is coming down for pre season training with the top 30 side.
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by ALX22 »

greeneyed wrote: October 7, 2019, 8:52 pm He's said he is coming down for pre season training with the top 30 side.
Cheers for that good news.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I'm assuming he'll play FLegg next year and then maybe Mounties unless he's a Cotric level talent.

From what I understand he's always played league, not necessarily a sprinter turning his hand to league late?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He's a real footy player.
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by ALX22 »

BadnMean wrote: October 8, 2019, 9:38 am From what I understand he's always played league?
Peninsula U12/Possibles-Probables
Cairns U13/NQ Marlins U13
Cairns U14/NQ Marlins U14/Player of the Carnival
QAS U15
Peninsula U15/QLD White U15/Pool A Merit Team
Brisbane Stingers Red U16/SEQ Green U16
QLD U16
Easts Tigers MM
Invitational U18/QLD Schoolboys U18
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Hope he gets to skip flegg or he will just end up on the scrap heap like all the other talent we have and cant retain from this year.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Ronny P wrote: October 9, 2019, 10:13 am Hope he gets to skip flegg or he will just end up on the scrap heap like all the other talent we have and cant retain from this year.

That would be exciting, I've just never really seen him in person or even a full game so no idea if he can handle it vs men. Whereas Cotric I knew and I'd seen and never had any doubt he would be physical enough.

We could certainly use some pace around the squad sniffing for opportunities around rep time.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He's only 17, or maybe just turned 18. I think that you have to be at least 18 before you can play NRL, but we shouldn't be expecting any more than Jersey Flegg for him at the moment.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

He played for Northern Cyclones in a indigenous RL carnival in Cairns... Speed machine!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Hope he knows how to score a try because if he makes a break there sure as hell won’t be anyone in our backline keeping pace for an offload....
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Simonsson and CNK are no slouches. Wighton is fast across the first 40metres too.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 23, 2019, 6:01 pm Simonsson and CNK are no slouches. Wighton is fast across the first 40metres too.
Not saying I’d keep pace with any of them but comparative to other teams these guys aren’t the quickest.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Billy Walker wrote:Hope he knows how to score a try because if he makes a break there sure as hell won’t be anyone in our backline keeping pace for an offload....
So this is your new thing, is it?
manbearpig
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Wighton

Post by manbearpig »

Lol fergo
Im just, bicking back being bool
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The Rickman wrote: October 23, 2019, 7:02 pm
Billy Walker wrote:Hope he knows how to score a try because if he makes a break there sure as hell won’t be anyone in our backline keeping pace for an offload....
Hey Nick - like the new pic. Good to see you’re mixing it up in the off-season.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

greeneyed wrote: October 9, 2019, 2:27 pm He's only 17, or maybe just turned 18. I think that you have to be at least 18 before you can play NRL, but we shouldn't be expecting any more than Jersey Flegg for him at the moment.
Have to be 18 to play NRL - that's why Lebanon got into a kerfuffle at the International Nines. Because they were being played under the asupices/organisation/something-or-other of the NRL, all players were meant to be 18 and Lebanon had a couple of 17 year old Holy Cross guys.

Short version, the NRL rules are clear.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Billy Walker wrote: October 23, 2019, 6:33 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: October 23, 2019, 6:01 pm Simonsson and CNK are no slouches. Wighton is fast across the first 40metres too.
Not saying I’d keep pace with any of them but comparative to other teams these guys aren’t the quickest.
Simonsson is one of the quickest in the NRL

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/29/sim ... top-speed/
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

edwahu wrote:

Lets all hope he can just tackle and catch.........Darren Clarke was a great example of how much value a fast runner adds.....

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Is there anything to suggest he can’t tackle and catch?
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Ronny P wrote: October 24, 2019, 5:52 am
edwahu wrote:

Lets all hope he can just tackle and catch.........Darren Clarke was a great example of how much value a fast runner adds.....

Darren Clarke was out of the game for 5-10 years as a sprinter, running in straight lines without being near a footy.

Savage, like most athletic kids do in their teens, sprints and plays footy. He just happens to be really good at the sprinting part too. I haven't heard anyone say he can't play yet.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

edwahu wrote: October 23, 2019, 11:39 pm

I did mention that in another thread (without the link). It didn't get much traction because people saw him run down once (Fatigue? Angle? Just having the ball slows players down which most people forget- a top speed on a chase will be quicker than on a try run)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Billy Walker wrote: October 23, 2019, 10:05 pm
Thanks, I thought you'd like it.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: October 24, 2019, 5:57 am Is there anything to suggest he can’t tackle and catch?
No - I’m a Simmonsen fan. I think he looks really good. I wouldn’t have said he was that quick but hope I’m wrong.

I saw him run down easily in the 9’s but that maybe raises other questions. Perhaps he is very quick but needs to up fitness to maintain speed over 80 mins?

For instance the Fox is widely viewed as the swiftest runner in the game, but make him knock out 10 x 400 meter sprints back to back and immediately put him up against Papa over a 50 meter dash and my money is on Papa given the circumstances.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The Rickman wrote: October 24, 2019, 12:00 pm
Billy Walker wrote: October 23, 2019, 10:05 pm
Thanks, I thought you'd like it.
Who is the picture of in the G?
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

He’s not named in our flesh squad. Back flipped maybe?
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Ilanraiders wrote: November 22, 2019, 1:34 pm He’s not named in our flesh squad. Back flipped maybe?
I thought someone may have said he would stay up in QLD one more year.

I think he is still SG ball eligible as well.