Moderator: GH Moderators

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Rapana eyes Japan rugby union switch

Post by Billy Walker »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 11, 2019, 3:49 pm
BadnMean wrote: September 10, 2019, 8:24 pm
AUSTEZER wrote: September 10, 2019, 8:02 pm I'd prefer Oldiie takes Jordan's place should he defect to Japanese Rugby. Just for his speed alone ,bloke is a rocket in boots.
I don't think Stuart and co see it that way, due to Simo's varied talents and must be a freak in the gym/track/training paddock.

But Oldie knows his game, knows where to put himself and how to reach that stripe. He's been found out as a centre defensively but as a winger he's big, strong and just fine. Same with his carries out. His energy and line busting ability are easily as good or better than SImo's single turn backwards at the line (slow down) hit and spin move. Oldie just crashed through.

I'm even stevens here- Simo is better defensively and hands. Oldie better yards and speed. Simo more potential upside but also potentially never quite get it. Oldie knows league. Does his job- well.

I think it's win-win at this point.
Oldie certainly had his initial struggles at centre, but I reckon he has been better there than Cotric this year.
I really want Cotric to succeed at centre but can’t disagree with your point about Oldie being better in 4 this year.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Why do you want Cotric to succeed at centre so much when we've already got two quality centres??
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Better question... why do I bother engaging Billy Walker in rational discussion?? I fall for it time and time again.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The key to making this work in our favour is not playing it out in the media. Go do your thing in rugby. Then about mid May when the Japanese rugby season finishes ... 'oh hello Ricky, it appears I do not currently have a contract and you only have 29 players in your squad... Maybe we could come to some sort of agreement for the rest of the season... "

How this is currently being played is when the NRL likes to stamp their authority.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I dont think it matters, greg.
He's got a right to go and play rugby, he's not contracted to a club, and when he's finished he's free to sign with whomever he wants. I dont see any reason why the NRL would give the faintest **** if we publised it in the damn paper that if healthy he'd come back to us at the end of his rugby deal. As long as we have the cap space and roster stuff sorted, why would they give a ****?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

The Rickman wrote: September 11, 2019, 4:40 pm Why do you want Cotric to succeed at centre so much when we've already got two quality centres??
I wasn’t ignoring you, I didn’t see this question. Cotric is a big bodied centre that would be a handful for any defence if he can get it together. He doesn’t quite have the speed you might want in a winger. I think he could potentially be a very good centre but has only shown glimpses to date.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

PigRickman wrote:I dont think it matters, greg.
He's got a right to go and play rugby, he's not contracted to a club, and when he's finished he's free to sign with whomever he wants. I dont see any reason why the NRL would give the faintest **** if we publised it in the damn paper that if healthy he'd come back to us at the end of his rugby deal. As long as we have the cap space and roster stuff sorted, why would they give a ****?
Because you’re blatantly flaunting the cap?! Naive to think that publishing your intentions doesn’t change the dynamic imo.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Why is it flaunting the cap?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I personally think it’s a rubbish idea and should be illegal

And that has nothing to do with the fact I desperately want to see our blue friend proved wrong again. Absolutely nothing at all
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It's kind of shoving it in the NRLs face. Better off not tempting fate IMO.

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

The Rickman wrote:I personally think it’s a rubbish idea and should be illegal

And that has nothing to do with the fact I desperately want to see our blue friend proved wrong again. Absolutely nothing at all
The Smurfs have foiled Gargamel again?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: September 11, 2019, 10:01 pm It's kind of shoving it in the NRLs face. Better off not tempting fate IMO.

shoving what in their face? Signing a free agent before June 30?

A free agent may go and play some japanese rugby and if he is healthy at the end of that season, he'll make himself available to return to the NRL. Obviously we'll be his preference give this is where his home is now, and if we've got the cap room and roster space and the need at that time im sure we'll engage him... but we may not, because maybe Simo is actually a stud, or maybe we've had to use the cap space and roster spot to plug in a massive injury crisis, or some other more desirable player was flushed out of their club and has now taken up that money and space.

Why would the NRL treat it any differently to the way they treat mid season transfers, where teams take on freight to offload an unwanted player, or the Titans signing Watkins from the ESL?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Jordy has been one of my favorite players ever. I love the guy.

It would hurt to see him in another NRL team.

If he wants mega $$$ in union for a year but comes back here, fine.

In the meantime we have Cotric and Simmonsen.

Life is good.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

PigRickman wrote:
gergreg wrote: September 11, 2019, 10:01 pm It's kind of shoving it in the NRLs face. Better off not tempting fate IMO.

shoving what in their face? Signing a free agent before June 30?

A free agent may go and play some japanese rugby and if he is healthy at the end of that season, he'll make himself available to return to the NRL. Obviously we'll be his preference give this is where his home is now, and if we've got the cap room and roster space and the need at that time im sure we'll engage him... but we may not, because maybe Simo is actually a stud, or maybe we've had to use the cap space and roster spot to plug in a massive injury crisis, or some other more desirable player was flushed out of their club and has now taken up that money and space.

Why would the NRL treat it any differently to the way they treat mid season transfers, where teams take on freight to offload an unwanted player, or the Titans signing Watkins from the ESL?
There is nothing wrong with what you are suggesting but I don't know how the NRL would react if there was any sort of agreement for Jordan to go off and play rugby with an agreement in place (already) to come back in May.

Sure they could have a gentleman's agreement to do exactly that but there is no good reason to say it out in the open.

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I would prefer Rapa to stay with the Raiders and play out his career here. But if the 30 year old can make better coin playing a few months of Japanese Rugby then I'd wish him well. Imo he is the best right winger the Raiders have ever had. He is playing busted, hence having last week off. He has a limited time left to make some big dollars before his body says 'no more'.

If the plan is to play Rugby in Japan then come back to the Raiders for half a season I hope it works out for both parties.

I don't think the NRL would care about players going to Rugby and then back to League. There are examples such as Matt Rogers and Wendell Sailor doing exactly that and the NRL welcomed them back.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I get the feeling this all revolves around Sezer.

I can completely understand the team and Sezer putting all of the negotiations or announcements off until after our season is done. Makes sense. It makes perfect sense also for Sezer to take advantage of his current market value as a top 4 half on a multi year deal somewhere else, rather than milk out 12 months at Mounties next year and hit the market at a significantly reduced value.

My concern is that if Sezer digs his feet in and stays and Rapa has to go, then we won’t be able to have a proper farewell match for one of our greatest wingers.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Looks like he might stay after all Image

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-TW- wrote:Looks like he might stay after all Image

Round two??

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

T_R wrote: October 7, 2019, 8:50 am

Round two??

Round two against the Roosters I guess
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Round two??

Round 2 with the Roosters in the GF I'm thinking.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Ok that's good news. He seems to have lost some pace but is an excellent winger and we need the depth in the outside backs.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

It's good news if it happens but I wouldn't hold it against him if it didn't in the cold light of day.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

With injuries and age taking their toll on him, I reckon he's maybe got one or two more good seasons left in him. If he goes to Union, he might have five or six.

I recall Wales back Gareth Edwards being interviewed after he returned to Union. He asked what's different between Union and League and he replied, "I was cold. I haven't been cold like this for a long time".

That is, he hardly saw the ball in the backline and couldn't stayed warmed up.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

He’s going to take a pay cut to stay is my guess, champion bloke.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Azza wrote: October 7, 2019, 8:56 am Ok that's good news. He seems to have lost some pace but is an excellent winger and we need the depth in the outside backs.
Depth, yes. Our backline lacks a bit of pace as it is. Jordy isn't fast enough to finish half chances from more than 5m out anymore, we saw that last night. He's welcome to stay but Simonsen would be starting ahead of him in my best 17.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yeah he's definitely lost some pace. I am just hoping it's some injuries from this year and he gets it back, because yeah, if there's one thing we lack a bit of it's pace.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

CJ42 wrote: October 7, 2019, 10:55 am He’s going to take a pay cut to stay is my guess, champion bloke.

That’s my reading of it.
Why not. We’re a genuine chance next year if we work hard.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

GreenMachine wrote:
CJ42 wrote: October 7, 2019, 10:55 am He’s going to take a pay cut to stay is my guess, champion bloke.

That’s my reading of it.
Why not. We’re a genuine chance next year if we work hard.
The more I think about it, the more I feel next year is ours for the taking. Roosters will be without Cronk and maybe Friend if he goes to Bulldogs. Storm will have Smith who’s another year older. Those two are due for a bit of a rebuild.
We’re looking like we’re relatively stable, except this Williams/Sezer switch.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Is there any way he can earn his dollars in Japan and come back for half a year on the cheap in 2020?
Last edited by Wiki Special on October 7, 2019, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Wiki Special wrote: October 7, 2019, 1:31 pm Is their any way he can earn his dollars in Japan and come back for half a year on the cheap in 2020?
I heard that is what he is considering.
Would be a mid season pick up (around round 9 or 10).
I don’t know how much truth there is in it.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

GreenMachine wrote:
Wiki Special wrote: October 7, 2019, 1:31 pm Is their any way he can earn his dollars in Japan and come back for half a year on the cheap in 2020?
By that stage he may very well need to play reserve grade until we get an injury/origin.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

RTW wrote: October 7, 2019, 1:44 pm
GreenMachine wrote:
By that stage he may very well need to play reserve grade until we get an injury/origin.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Maybe, but worst case scenario in my opinion is if we have wingers in form when he came back he could be our 14.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

sprintman wrote: October 7, 2019, 8:54 am

Round two??

Did JordyRaps just leak the 2020 draw ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

-PJ- wrote: October 7, 2019, 2:54 pm
sprintman wrote: October 7, 2019, 8:54 am

Round two??

Did JordyRaps just leak the 2020 draw ?
Wow - that’s really going to upset both of the Roosters supporters when they find out they are playing at Homebush...
Martini
Gary Coyne

Post by Martini »

A Broncos friend reckoned there was strong rumours he is going up there. After that interview sounds like he is hanging around.