Canberra Raiders selected for national duties

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Canberra Raiders selected for national duties

Post by edwahu »

Well done to all 3. Cotric really played well in the finals to earn his spot after an up and down year.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/07/six ... oos-squad/

Kangaroos squad: Josh Addo-Carr, Daly Cherry-Evans, Damien Cook, Boyd Cordner, Nick Cotric, Tyson Frizell, Wade Graham, Payne Haas, Ben Hunt, Luke Keary, David Klemmer, Latrell Mitchell, Cameron Munster, Cameron Murray, Josh Papalii, James Tedesco, Jake Trbojevic, Paul Vaughan, Jack Wighton.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Cotric, Wighton and Papalii selected for the Kangaroos

Post by Northern Raider »

Well done guys. Paps and Jack were locks. Cotric a bit of a surprise but happy to see him get a Kangaroos jersey.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Latrell Mitchell gets the nod ahead of Croker who was a sentimental favourite to be picked. The guy gets dumped from the NSW Origin side and reportedly is still spitting the dummy in GF week, but still picked.

Croker could end up being the only Raiders legend not to play rep footy at the highest levels.

Good to see ex-Raider Vaughn get picked, though.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

And ex-Raider James Tedesco
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

yurithe1 wrote: October 7, 2019, 10:24 amGood to see ex-Raider Vaughn get picked, though.
Hopefully he's improved his play-the-ball speed...
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Sutton, Whitehead and Williams all made the England 9’s team.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Surprised Whitehead got picked for 9s since it looked like the Roos didn't pick any GF players.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

yurithe1 wrote: October 7, 2019, 10:24 am Latrell Mitchell gets the nod ahead of Croker who was a sentimental favourite to be picked. The guy gets dumped from the NSW Origin side and reportedly is still spitting the dummy in GF week, but still picked.

Croker could end up being the only Raiders legend not to play rep footy at the highest levels.
Not to mention, Mitchell was very quite last night, we shut him up well.

My favourite Croker moment of last night was him pulling the try-saver on Mitchell on his wrong side of the field then cleaning up the next tackle on his normal position!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Travis
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Travis »

It looks to me like the team will be:

1. James Tedesco
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jack Wighton
4. Latrell Mitchell
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Luke Keary
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Josh Papalii
9. Damien Cook
10. David Klemmer
11. Boyd Cordner
12. Wade Graham
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Ben Hunt
15. Tyson Frizell
16. Payne Haas
17. Cameron Murray

18. Paul Vaughan
19. Cameron Munster
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Pretty fair representation from Raiders there.

Some of the picks are a bit odd;
I'm not sure Murray is actually any good.
Ben Hunt- seriously?
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

BadnMean wrote:Pretty fair representation from Raiders there.

Ben Hunt- seriously?
Murray is a gun, watch his game vs Roosters in R25
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

Yeah Ben Hunt has a horrid season. Definitely doesn’t deserve an Aussie jumper.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

-GD- wrote: October 7, 2019, 12:01 pm

Ben Hunt- seriously?
I'll take your word for it. Looked totally ineffective vs us.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Ben Hunt? Get ****

He was absolutely putrid this season

These selectors are as good as the referees

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

raiderskater wrote: October 7, 2019, 11:18 am
yurithe1 wrote: October 7, 2019, 10:24 am Latrell Mitchell gets the nod ahead of Croker who was a sentimental favourite to be picked. The guy gets dumped from the NSW Origin side and reportedly is still spitting the dummy in GF week, but still picked.

My favourite Croker moment of last night was him pulling the try-saver on Mitchell on his wrong side of the field then cleaning up the next tackle on his normal position!
Latrell is clearly plagued with personal issues at the moment. He is barely trying out there, playing the most lazy football of his career. Chambers might’ve even had a chance of containing him last night.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

gangrenous wrote: October 7, 2019, 10:26 am And ex-Raider James Tedesco
:lol:
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

-GD- wrote:

Ben Hunt- seriously?
Not sure a game against a team that doesn’t care is a good example.

Otherwise you nominate the Warriors as a strong team based on their round 25...
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Congrats to our 3 boys.

#6again
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Papalii, Wighton and Cotric named in Kangaroos squad

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders Papalii, Wighton and Cotric named in Kangaroos squad

Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga has named Canberra Raiders Josh Papalii, Jack Wighton and Nick Cotric in his Australian squad for the upcoming Tests against New Zealand and Tonga.

Clive Churchill Medal winner Jack Wighton and winger Nick Cotric would make their debuts for Australia should they line up. Meninga said Raiders prop Josh Papalii was an injury concern with Storm lock Dale Finucane on standby.

FULL KANGAROOS SQUAD: Josh Addo-Carr, Daly Cherry-Evans, Boyd Cordner, Damien Cook, Nick Cotric, Tyson Frizell, Wade Graham, Payne Haas, Ben Hunt, Luke Keary, David Klemmer, Latrell Mitchell, Cameron Munster, Cameron Murray, Josh Papalii, James Tedesco, Jake Trbojevic, Paul Vaughan, Jack Wighton.

KANGAROOS NINES SQUAD: Josh Addo-Carr, Jai Arrow, AJ Brimson, Nathan Brown, Kyle Feldt, Tyson Frizell, Reuben Garrick, Wade Graham, Clint Gutherson, Ben Hunt, Mitchell Moses, Ryan Papenhuyzen, Kalyn Ponga, Curtis Scott, Cody Walker.

JILLAROOS SQUAD:

Kezie Apps, Shaylee Bent, Ali Brigginshaw, Millie Boyle, Brittany Breayley, Keeley Davis, Kirra Dibb, Tallisha Harden, Isabelle Kelly, Corban McGregor, Tiana Penitani, Julia Robinson, Jess Sergis, Hannah Southwell, Shakiah Tungai, Tamika Upton, Botille Vette-Welsh.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/07/six ... oos-squad/

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/kangar ... e377b1433c

Grateful Jack Wighton repays faith

Jack Wighton won the Clive Churchill Medal as man of the match following Sunday night's heart-breaking NRL grand final defeat, now he's set for a Kangaroos debut after being named in the Australian squad.

"I was grateful to have that opportunity to play in the grand final and that's what I've got to focus on. I love all these boys and thank you for the club for standing by me last year," Wighton said.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/grateful-j ... 598423987b

Jack Wighton leads Canberra Raiders' charge into Australia Kangaroos squad: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Re: Papalii, Wighton and Cotric named in Kangaroos squad

Post by Begbie »

Well done Wighton, an absolute elite player now.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

How good is Jack rollin ?

Well done Jackyboi !!
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

When you think of it, we have done very well and our team is now full of rep players.

Whitehead, Bateman, Hodgson will definitely be selected for England

CNK, Rapana, Tapine, Sia ineligible (don't know whether they will be selected for N.Z., probably not - they have Ken Mamalo and DWZ on the wings, RTS at fullback, and guys like JWH, NAS, Jesse Bromwich, SSTakiaheo, Brandon Smith as middle forwards)

That leaves BJ, Croker, Sezer the only guys missing out. Cotric's selection is a bit of a surprise as I thought Ferguson had a better year than him, but he had a good GF game. Hope he now kicks on.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

raiderskater wrote:

Except for that flick pass to set up the match winning try.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Well done Horsburgh and Guler for making the junior Kangaroos as well. It's apparently under 23s now.

Canberra Raiders Corey Horsburgh and Emre Guler selected for Under 23s Junior Kangaroos

Australia coach Mal Meninga will use the Rugby League Nines World Cup and a revamped Junior Kangaroos to help develop the national team of the future.

Canberra Raiders forwards Corey Horsburgh and Emre Guler have been named in the under-23s Australian team against France in Wollongong on October 25, to be coached by Neil Henry.

Junior Kangaroos: Ryan Papenhuyzen, Campbell Graham, Curtis Scott, Brad Parker, Reuben Garrick, Kalyn Ponga, Brodie Croft, Corey Horsburgh, Reed Mahoney, Thomas Flegler, David Fifita, Angus Crichton, Victor Radley, AJ Brimson, Nat Butcher, Emre Guler, Tino Fa'asuamaleaui, Paul Momirovski.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/ponga-head ... d75e9c9828
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:When you think of it, we have done very well and our team is now full of rep players.

CNK, Rapana, Tapine, Sia ineligible (don't know whether they will be selected for N.Z., probably not - they have Ken Mamalo and DWZ on the wings, RTS at fullback, and guys like JWH, NAS, Jesse Bromwich, SSTakiaheo, Brandon Smith as middle forwards)

That leaves BJ, Croker, Sezer the only guys missing out. Cotric's selection is a bit of a surprise as I thought Ferguson had a better year than him, but he had a good GF game. Hope he now kicks on.
I also wonder what Daniel Tupou has to do to get back into rep favour. One of the most underrated players in the game for mine

Edit: is it because he has picked to play for Tonga and therefore ineligible for SOO?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

edwahu wrote:Well done Horsburgh and Guler for making the junior Kangaroos as well. It's apparently under 23s now.

Canberra Raiders Corey Horsburgh and Emre Guler selected for Under 23s Junior Kangaroos

Australia coach Mal Meninga will use the Rugby League Nines World Cup and a revamped Junior Kangaroos to help develop the national team of the future.

Canberra Raiders forwards Corey Horsburgh and Emre Guler have been named in the under-23s Australian team against France in Wollongong on October 25, to be coached by Neil Henry.

Junior Kangaroos: Ryan Papenhuyzen, Campbell Graham, Curtis Scott, Brad Parker, Reuben Garrick, Kalyn Ponga, Brodie Croft, Corey Horsburgh, Reed Mahoney, Thomas Flegler, David Fifita, Angus Crichton, Victor Radley, AJ Brimson, Nat Butcher, Emre Guler, Tino Fa'asuamaleaui, Paul Momirovski.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/ponga-head ... d75e9c9828
Yes, well earned. Horsburgh will be an origin player, no doubt, if he keeps it up.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Butters wrote: October 7, 2019, 5:19 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote:When you think of it, we have done very well and our team is now full of rep players.

I also wonder what Daniel Tupou has to do to get back into rep favour. One of the most underrated players in the game for mine

Edit: is it because he has picked to play for Tonga and therefore ineligible for SOO?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I agree (unless it's because of the Tongan thing). I didn't used to rate him but he's been very good for a long time now and has killed it all season.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: October 7, 2019, 3:24 pm When you think of it, we have done very well and our team is now full of rep players.

I think Tapine should be selected for NZ (suspensions pending). He stepped up his form and produced quality, repeatedly in the big games vs the best packs. He can play edge or middle, provides impact, offload and footwork/mobility. I think he should make their squad and 17 somewhere.

CNK and Rapana- yeah it is crazy but Rapana might not make it on form this year. CNK is excellent but RTS is next level and at his peak.

Cotric perhaps beneficiary of the old "GF teams get rewarded" with a decent shot at the rep teams idea. Which is fair enough, he did deservedly play Origin and went ok. Haven't watched the GF replay yet and was at Homebush so it was a very different viewing/judging experience than at home but he looked to be carrying strongly, busting tackles. I think it is wise for Meninga to move on from the days of Dugan and Fergo in rep teams in both football and culture terms.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Kangaroos wait on Josh Papalii's injury scan before Test duties

Josh Papalii's hopes of playing for Australia will be assessed on Thursday as part of the Canberra Raiders' post-season medical appointments.

Asked about his pectoral injury, Papalii said: "It's something new. We'll have to get a scan and see how it is."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Papa really deserves this opportunity to represent the Kangaroos.

Missing out due to injury would be terrible for Papa.

I hope he is passed fit and gets his just deserts.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He didn’t look too hampered by it today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders selected for national duties

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders Joe Tapine, Jordan Rapana and Bailey Simonsson selected for New Zealand World Nines

Canberra Raiders winger Bailey Simonsson has been selected to make his debut for the New Zealand Kiwis in the World Nines. Fellow Raiders Joe Tapine and Jordan Rapana have also been named in the Kiwis squad for the Nines tournament, to be played at Western Sydney Stadium on 18-19 October.

New Zealand Kiwis World Nines squad

Leeson Ah Mau (Vodafone Warriors)
Dylan Brown (Parramatta Eels)
James Fisher-Harris (Penrith Panthers)
Corey Harawira-Naera (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
Braden Hamlin-Uele (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
Jamayne Isaako (Brisbane Broncos)
Shaun Johnson (Cronulla Sutherland Sharks)
Jeremy Marshall-King (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
Ken Maumalo (Vodafone Warriors)
Briton Nikora (Cronulla Sutherland Sharks)
Kodi Nikorima (Vodafone Warriors)
Kevin Proctor (Gold Coast Titans)
Jordan Rapana (Canberra Raiders)
Bailey Simonsson (Canberra Raiders)
Reimis Smith (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
Joseph Tapine (Canberra Raiders)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

That's all well and good, but his defence is going to cost us a grand final one day.

Right, Billy??
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Rickman wrote: October 9, 2019, 2:30 pm

That's all well and good, but his defence is going to cost us a grand final one day.

Right, Billy??
Croker completely shut down Manu didn't he. That side of the field worked so hard and well together in defence.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

The Rickman wrote: October 9, 2019, 2:30 pm

Right, Billy??
He had an excellent game. The whole team played well.