2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

"We try to quarantine the Pommies as much as we can." - Ricky Stuart.

Canberra Raiders coach confident that the virus that has hit Josh Hodgson and John Bateman won't disrupt Grand Final preparations. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/UMeo50wAgvm

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #NRLGF
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Same Game Multi:

Raiders win
Total Game Points over 33.5
Croker any time try scorer

Odds $13.50 with Ladbrokes offering double winnings
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Seiffert82 wrote:I've no idea how this game will pan out, but the virus thing is a worry.

The Roosters are quite beatable, but you have to hold them out for the first 20 minutes. IMO that's the key for us. With that in mind I would start Papa off the bench and hope Tapine and Soliola can do the job with Lui. We just need to hold our ground in preparation of an early onslaught.

Bateman had one of his worst games of the season last weekend. Hopefully he, Hodgo and Leilua are well and they stick to the game plan in defence. Getting a bit loose in defence early is our Achillies heel.

I honestly think we have to keep the Roosters to 2 tries max to win this game. They will be offside all day and we haven't contended with that sort of pressure well this season, especially without Rapa and Cotric making big metres out of dummy half. I know we can score points, but we have barely done that all season, so it's not likely to start in a GF!
Good summary, our attack hasn't clicked really all year, but here we are.
We have to remember what got us here and try to keep them to nil. Hard ask, but imagine a 24-0 win for the boys.
It would send people into meltdown, agree first 20 is important, but I'll still have confidence we can swing the game back in our favour if that 20 minutes goes pear shaped.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

edwahu wrote:
kona_dream wrote: October 3, 2019, 3:52 pm I know not specifically related to this match. But I was just looking at the 94 GF team list and we only named 2 reserves and the dogs named 4. Back then from memory when you were replaced you were off for good. But it just seems strange that we only would nominate 2 reserves. Maybe we just that good back then, that was all we needed to do.
They rule was 2+2 in from reserves/presidents cup I think. I can't remember if we had a side in either lower grade that day, maybe that's why we could name them later if we did.

Also I feel like maybe Germ or Davico ended up getting thrown on the bench on the day but not used?
We didn't play either lower grade, seem to remember Sharks winning both.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Great interview with Ennis and Stick n Hodgo on NRL360 tonight, they looked really relaxed

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Missed it. Hopefully they put it up online.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Peter wrote:Missed it. Hopefully they put it up online.
It’s up on the fox sports site now mate

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Staurt

Post by Goldcoast Raider »

Brandy Alexander is a idiot, he is tipping roosters cause like Keary didn’t play last time we played, HE BLOODY PLAYED, he just didn’t do much which led to Seibold making those comments about a superstar five-eighth not making much metres when they were whining about Boyd not doing much at five-eighth
fulivai
David Grant

Post by fulivai »

Tragically I've had to cancel my trip back for last minute work commitments. If by random chance any Raiders fans are in Bangkok, and want to watch the game, let me know.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Any Raiders fans in Hong Kong that want to watch the game together ? Please contact me
Go the Raiders!
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

From what I've read and listened too we might as well not bother turning up on Sunday, from Cronk being an Immortal because he finished his career with two premiership medals with the Roosters, the Raiders not having the ability to score more then 2 tries at best to the general consensus the Roosters can't be beaten.

lets stick it to them boys!
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

There couldn’t be a better way for his team to go into a game than this. Absolutely no pressure on us and the perfect opportunity to surprise everyone.

You just know this team won’t be satisfied with second place and their hunger might give them a slight edge.

I also have no doubt that Ricky has a few trick shots up his sleeve that he has been saving for this week and I can’t wait to see what they are.

I’ve just got this feeling, that rickman might be spot on here
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

I heard on the Matty Johns podcast that Ricky told Laurie after last weekend that the challenge for this week will be for Ricky not to overcoach them and just let them do their thing.

Another story was about Panthers coach John Lang from 2003 when Penrith were in exactly the same position as us and ended up winning against the highly favoured Roosters.

He called the players in and said "righto boys, here's the game plan - just go out and smash them and we'll win".

And they did.

I reckon there should be 2 clear messages to the team;

1) Bash them (legally).
2) Use our natural talent, offload and -with purpose and control - throw it around a bit. If we are conservative the Roosters will eat us up.

Gee is it Sunday yet?!
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Let the Sydney press blow their hot air. All the better when we leave them with egg on their face.

If the boys come out with intent, we will be right in the fight, and I believe we will win.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

It is quire hilarious listening to certain parts of the media this week - Hoops for example in the one show said that if the Raiders win it would be the biggest upset in recent history - then 5 minutes later tips us to win and Hodgo for the CC medal!
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

I have been thinking more about our attack - while I do agree somewhat with the general consensus that it has not been great the last couple of weeks, I look back to the first Melbourne game in Melbourne when we came back from 18-0. The second half of that game, we rolled forward and looked dangerous all half, particularly spreading to our left. We put on a couple of nice set plays for tries. It wasn't off the cuff like the first Warriors game (which you can't do in a GF) - it was structured, planned and suited to a finals game. Wighton is our danger man on the left and Bateman/CNK on the right. If we can keep the Roosters to 2 tries, I do think we have the attack in us to win.

I cannot overstate how important Sezer's game is on Sunday. He should look to run a couple of times to get his confidence up, and then it is all about kicking and making his tackles. There have been quite a few games in his time at the Raiders where he has shown an excellent short-mid range kicking game (the most recent example being the Qualifying Final against Melbourne) - he needs to keep it varied, get CNK chasing a couple of inside chips/grubbers. I would prefer Wighton and Hodgson look after the long kicking game, but Sezer must show that deft touch we all know he has for the other kicks. Repeat sets, kick away from Tedesco and bash him when he gets it.

Territory is so important in this game. We cannot afford to give the Roosters the territory Souths had last week, they will just kill us with that sort of field position. No silly penalties, good driving defence and line speed.
jozzas
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by jozzas »

2 sleeps to go, everyone! Please enjoy this video I put together of our finals campaign so far. Re-watching our games to put this together I am more and more confident that we can get it done. Just have to contain the Roosters with our defence.

Last edited by jozzas on October 4, 2019, 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
jozzas
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by jozzas »

Green snags, Viking claps and a giant horn: Canberra unhinges as Raiders fever strikes

For a city of 400,000 people, Canberra residents are good at turning up to things. It could be the country’s most popular flower festival, or its loudest muscle car jamboree or a game of AFL in the snow; this town will generally provide a crowd.

Arguably more than any other Australian city, Canberra crowds are happy to clap opposition players with a fair-minded politeness. Last week’s NRL preliminary final between the Canberra Raiders and South Sydney Rabbitohs was nothing like that. From the opening Viking Clap to Josh Papalii’s late surging try, there was something manic in the air. One way of describing it would be passionate; another would be mildly unhinged.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... er-strikes
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

I always suspected you lot were unhinged.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

2 sleeps peeps..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Mildly unhinged doesn’t describe me at all. I was completely off taps, hooks, hinges and any other kind of hardware you could care to imagine!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Neeeegz wrote: October 3, 2019, 8:27 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:I've no idea how this game will pan out, but the virus thing is a worry.

The Roosters are quite beatable, but you have to hold them out for the first 20 minutes. IMO that's the key for us. With that in mind I would start Papa off the bench and hope Tapine and Soliola can do the job with Lui. We just need to hold our ground in preparation of an early onslaught.

Bateman had one of his worst games of the season last weekend. Hopefully he, Hodgo and Leilua are well and they stick to the game plan in defence. Getting a bit loose in defence early is our Achillies heel.

I honestly think we have to keep the Roosters to 2 tries max to win this game. They will be offside all day and we haven't contended with that sort of pressure well this season, especially without Rapa and Cotric making big metres out of dummy half. I know we can score points, but we have barely done that all season, so it's not likely to start in a GF!
Good summary, our attack hasn't clicked really all year, but here we are.
We have to remember what got us here and try to keep them to nil. Hard ask, but imagine a 24-0 win for the boys.
It would send people into meltdown, agree first 20 is important, but I'll still have confidence we can swing the game back in our favour if that 20 minutes goes pear shaped.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Yeah, we certainly do have resilience and persistence, you just don't want to be chasing points for 60 minutes.

I'm just preparing myself for a tough start to the game! This place has a tendency to go into meltdown when the team is under the pump, but the Roosters do that to everyone. If we happen to concede a try early it won't be for the first time this season. It wouldn't surprise me.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

7s jersey in the office, smilin all day Image

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

IBG wrote:I heard on the Matty Johns podcast that Ricky told Laurie after last weekend that the challenge for this week will be for Ricky not to overcoach them and just let them do their thing.

Another story was about Panthers coach John Lang from 2003 when Penrith were in exactly the same position as us and ended up winning against the highly favoured Roosters.

He called the players in and said "righto boys, here's the game plan - just go out and smash them and we'll win".

And they did.

I reckon there should be 2 clear messages to the team;

1) Bash them (legally).
2) Use our natural talent, offload and -with purpose and control - throw it around a bit. If we are conservative the Roosters will eat us up.

Gee is it Sunday yet?!
Laurie hosts the big sports breakfast on sky, His quote is taken from there. This morning he was mentioning he was buying a green suit. The passion runs in his veins, the dragons were only ever skin deep.

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: October 4, 2019, 9:21 am 7s jersey in the office, smilin all day Image

Nice jersey..

Are you walking around asking colleagues if they'd like to touch the badge ?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:
bonehead wrote: October 4, 2019, 9:21 am 7s jersey in the office, smilin all day Image

Nice jersey..

a few said they were on the bandwagon, I quickly told them 30yrs or get off.
Edrick The Entertainer
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

Happy national wear your Raiders jersey to work day everyone.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: October 4, 2019, 9:36 am
-PJ- wrote:

Nice jersey..

a few said they were on the bandwagon, I quickly told them 30yrs or get off.
Are you getting any work done ?

Or just modelling the jersey..
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

some work, it's an RDO for the bulk of the workforce so pretty quiet
Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

jozzas wrote:Green snags, Viking claps and a giant horn: Canberra unhinges as Raiders fever strikes

For a city of 400,000 people, Canberra residents are good at turning up to things. It could be the country’s most popular flower festival, or its loudest muscle car jamboree or a game of AFL in the snow; this town will generally provide a crowd.

Arguably more than any other Australian city, Canberra crowds are happy to clap opposition players with a fair-minded politeness. Last week’s NRL preliminary final between the Canberra Raiders and South Sydney Rabbitohs was nothing like that. From the opening Viking Clap to Josh Papalii’s late surging try, there was something manic in the air. One way of describing it would be passionate; another would be mildly unhinged.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... er-strikes
Thanks to everyone jumping in this week and posting stories! That’s a good one. Yes, it was unhinged!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

-PJ- wrote: October 4, 2019, 8:52 am 2 sleeps peeps..
Ill pick you up at 10 on Sunday Peej, send me your address!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Coastalraider wrote: October 4, 2019, 9:47 am
Sorry Wattanobi, busy..I've got an invite elsewhere..

Enjoy your day, and enjoy those 17 glorious green bastards..
greeneyed
Don Furner

2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders Belconnen Live Grand Final Site

ImageImage

The Canberra Raiders will run out for their first Grand Final appearance since 1994 when they take on the Sydney Roosters in the 2019 Grand Final at ANZ Stadium this Sunday night. The Raiders will be hoping to win the club’s fourth ever premiership, their first in 25 years.

Unfortunately, not everyone can attend the game in Sydney, so Raiders Belconnen and the ACT Government have teamed up to deliver the next best site to watch the game on the big screen with other passionate rugby league fans.

RAIDERS BELCONNEN LIVE GRAND FINAL SITE
WHERE: 155 Hardwick Crescent Holt ACT
WHEN: Sunday October 6, 5pm - 10pm

This family friendly event has been established to bring the community together on the picturesque Raiders Belconnen Oval (opposite Kingsford Smith School). Venue Management will be selling food and beverages from the adjoining Club; however, attendees can bring their own picnic if they prefer.

This is a free event, with a gold coin requested upon entry to support the development of female rugby league in the ACT.

ACT Minister for Sport and Recreation, Yvette Berry MLA, encouraged local residents to gather in support of Canberra’s iconic sporting team.

“Canberra really is bleeding green for the Canberra Raiders and I can’t wait to cheer them on with everyone at the Raiders Belconnen Oval in Kippax,” Minister Berry said. “No matter the outcome, it’s been a great season for the Raiders and for their fans. They’ve done us proud.”

The event link to promote can be found at https://www.facebook.com/events/2759455570740185/

Getting to/from this event:

Please be patient and drive carefully in/around the precinct - traffic delays are expected. Please be aware that due to the size of this event taxi and rideshare services will likely see heavy demand, especially after the event.

Driving

Limited public parking is available at Raiders Belconnen, so you are advised to arrive early. Close by is parking bays at the Kingsford Smith School, Kippax Fair Shopping Centre and nearby sporting fields. If parking in the surrounding area, please be respectful of residents

Parking inspectors may be active!
• Park legally
• Don’t park on nature strips

Dropping Off and Picking Up

Drop off and pick up areas are available outside the Raiders Belconnen Club.

Transport Canberra Bus – R2
https://www.transport.act.gov.au/gettin ... RmJmFsbD0x

Restricted/Prohibited Items:

Patrons are not permitted to bring the following items into Raiders Belconnen enclosed oval:

• Alcoholic beverages, illicit drugs, glass, breakable/glass containers;
• Unmanned Aerial Devices / Drones;
• Opened or partially filled drink containers;
• Musical instruments, whistles or air horns;
• All animals except guiding, companion or hearing animals (Registration of the animal MUST be provided);
• Skateboards, scooters, roller blades, tricycles or bicycles;
• Recording devices (used for commercial purposes);
• Flags over 1m x 1m in size;
• Commercial, political, religious or offensive clothing, banners, logos or signage;
• Any items or goods for sale;
• Fireworks/flares/laser devices;
• Tents, sun shelters, beach tents and like products;
• Any device, instrument or object that, in the opinion of management, has the potential to cause injury or public nuisance. This includes but is not limited to weapons, knives, spray cans or compressed air canisters;

NOTE: For picnics, plastic utensils only will be allowed. Chairs/stools will be permitted in the designated seat assembly area. Picnic rugs are encouraged due to limited fixed seating on site and the anticipated large crowd.

Canberra Raiders media release
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

-PJ- wrote: October 4, 2019, 9:57 am

It better be a bloody good invite!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Coastalraider wrote: October 4, 2019, 10:03 am
-PJ- wrote: October 4, 2019, 9:57 am

It better be a bloody good invite!
Oh yeah.

I'll show you a photo later..