The Cricket Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by RedRaider »

Northern Raider wrote: September 26, 2019, 1:27 pm If he changes his action will he be as effective?
I take your point NR, but I used the example of Lillee to show that it could be done. It took Dennis more than 2 years of recovery and trying different things but he came back a better, more controlled bowler. He no longer had the top end speed of his youth, but had a long fabulous career after making the changes.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Well, Uzi couldnt have had a better start to his Aussie summer, 138 from 126 vs Victoria.
Rest of QLD so far:
Heazlett, who has a T20 and/ or ODI start in 3 games has 70 from 57, 88 from 86, and 51 from 43. Great start to the yr.
Labu 67 in game 1.
Renshaw and Burns both had 50s last w, its 2 on the trot for Burns.

Victoria:
Not a lot to talk about TBH. Its been very bits and pieces from them. Maxy and Maddinson did well in game 1 vs WA, but the game was gone before they even got to the crease. Handscomb has the gloves again in the short formats.

WA:
Phillipe looks really good to start the yr, 61 and 100.
Short got a 100 in game 2.
Stoinis a 101* from 58 in game 1.

NSW:
Young Edwards 84 and Henriques 52 in game 1. They were terrible, awful, atrocious in game 2.

Tassie:
McDermott 78 and 103, very good start.
Young/ rookie (?) opener Jewell has 45 and 64. Never heard of him, but Jr rep and good start.
Bailey 70 in game 2.

SA:
Cooper 62 and 52 so far.
Lehmann 50.
Ross 82.

Its ODI cricket, so bowlers dont really feature, but Pattinson and Richardson both a single 3 for as players in the running for national colours.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

RedRaider wrote: September 30, 2019, 7:26 am
Northern Raider wrote: September 26, 2019, 1:27 pm If he changes his action will he be as effective?
I take your point NR, but I used the example of Lillee to show that it could be done. It took Dennis more than 2 years of recovery and trying different things but he came back a better, more controlled bowler. He no longer had the top end speed of his youth, but had a long fabulous career after making the changes.
Agree but Lillee's original action was not as radical as Bumrah. Have to see where this all ends up.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Sheffield Shield starts in a couple of weeks. These early matches take on an unprecedented level of importance with a number of batting spots up for grabs in the Test team.

Smith and Labuschagne are the only 2 that should be locked in. Possibly Wade as well.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: September 30, 2019, 10:31 am Sheffield Shield starts in a couple of weeks. These early matches take on an unprecedented level of importance with a number of batting spots up for grabs in the Test team.

Smith and Labuschagne are the only 2 that should be locked in. Possibly Wade as well.
agreed
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Uzi gets back to back 100s.
Heazletts good start continues with another 50.
Renshaw also bagged another 50.

BUUUUUT,
While Harper got 40 and Harris knocked up a 60, Finch went ballistic with 188* from 151
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Jewells good start just got better with a 100.
Silk finally gets a score, 87.

Weatherald gets a score, 53, but Carey and Head get SA home with 80 each but Carey did it from 53 balls.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Matt wrote: September 30, 2019, 1:26 pm
Northern Raider wrote: September 30, 2019, 10:31 am Sheffield Shield starts in a couple of weeks. These early matches take on an unprecedented level of importance with a number of batting spots up for grabs in the Test team.

agreed
x2 NR. It will cause ructions but I think Uzi and Burns should open. I honestly don't know who the No6 should be but if an alrounder shows some batting form then he would get the nod from me. The bowling part is to give the others a rest. We already have Labu and Smith to roll the arm over but a slow medium with accuracy and split finger or back of the hand deliveries could easily be used for half a dozen overs.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RedRaider wrote: October 1, 2019, 8:56 pm

agreed
x2 NR. It will cause ructions but I think Uzi and Burns should open. I honestly don't know who the No6 should be but if an alrounder shows some batting form then he would get the nod from me. The bowling part is to give the others a rest. We already have Labu and Smith to roll the arm over but a slow medium with accuracy and split finger or back of the hand deliveries could easily be used for half a dozen overs.
Do you have Wade or Head at 5 RR?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Wade scored a century in his last test so I expect him to get dropped.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Given Warner was given the entire Ashes it would be lunacy to drop him for the first home test given his record in Australia. Especially when most other openers have tried and failed already (besides Burns who should have been there in England but for Langer picking the West Aussie strugglers).
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: October 2, 2019, 9:15 am Wade scored a century in his last test so I expect him to get dropped.
:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

julian87 wrote: October 2, 2019, 10:12 am Given Warner was given the entire Ashes it would be lunacy to drop him for the first home test given his record in Australia. Especially when most other openers have tried and failed already (besides Burns who should have been there in England but for Langer picking the West Aussie strugglers).
Warner's domestic form will be the deciding factor I feel. If he's scoring runs he'll be given another chance on home soil. If not then it will be hard to make a case for his inclusion.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Alyssa Healy smashed 148* off 61 balls at North Sydney Oval.

T20 v SRI.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-PJ- wrote: October 3, 2019, 10:58 am Alyssa Healy smashed 148* off 61 balls at North Sydney Oval.

T20 v SRI.
Ive watched the highlights of her innings. It looks like a Woman against girls. Not quite a slog fest, but plenty of distain in her shot selection.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Sri Lankan side is trash, outside of Athapaththu who plays in the bbl and IPL they are very limited for talent

148* in a T20 is off the charts though

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Matt wrote: October 2, 2019, 8:48 am
RedRaider wrote: October 1, 2019, 8:56 pm

agreed
Do you have Wade or Head at 5 RR?
It would be Wade for me Matt. 2 tons in England for the Ashes should do it.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Matt wrote: October 2, 2019, 11:23 am
Northern Raider wrote: October 2, 2019, 9:15 am Wade scored a century in his last test so I expect him to get dropped.
:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
The Hohn Effect in action 🗑
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Quick wrap
QLD vs NSW
Labu 69
Starc 0 for, econ of 2.47 though.
Conway (?) 5 for
Abbott 3 for

Warner 27*
Smith 5 ball duck
Gannon has all 3 wickets
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

WA vs Tassie
Bancroft 30
MMarsh 41
Stonis 61 (good start to the yr contines)
Phillipe 48 (good start to the yr contines)
Bird 3 for
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Vic vs SA
Harris 116
Maddinsoin 195*
Pucovski 45*

Safe to say it's a freeway
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It's flatter than some sections of the hume

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Warner scores a century. Still a useless tit.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

NSW vs QLD is still tight.
QLD 2nd dig, Burns 52, Labu 48.

Vic vs SA, well, Its a joke! That pitch isn't a road or freeway, it's a bloody salt flat.
SA in response to Vics 600, are 5/527. Head 51, Cooper 188, Carey 117.

WA vs Tas is also close.
Paine with Shield 100 #2.
WA in 2nd dig, both Marshes at the crease.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Had to laugh at handscomb having a whinge about SA not wanting to set up a game

If you didn't take almost 2 days to score 600 it would be a live game

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

How in god's name do these flat pitches do anything to help the woeful state of our batting stocks?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I read in today's Sun Herald that Hohns wants to extend his stint as Head Selector. Nòoooooo - don't let that happen CA. I want to see Starc bowl again for Australia in Tests.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

NSW has beaten QLD by 5 wickets in the Shield match. Not much contribution by Smith. Daniel Hughes unbeaten 60 brings NSW home.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

If CA wants to improve the game, a road like that needs to be deemed unacceptable. In international cricket, they have that new 'pitch grading' system, for safety, results, etc, etc, to remove these sort of contests. That pitch would get a fail grade. Too many demerit points and you lose games. I hope this applies here.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: October 14, 2019, 9:59 am If CA wants to improve the game, a road like that needs to be deemed unacceptable. In international cricket, they have that new 'pitch grading' system, for safety, results, etc, etc, to remove these sort of contests. That pitch would get a fail grade. Too many demerit points and you lose games. I hope this applies here.
It could also distort the form of batsmen competing for a test spot. You can't really pick somebody on the back of a big score in this game as it doesn't represent what they will face in a test match.

On that note Warner gettign a ton vs QLD will help his cause for retention.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: October 14, 2019, 10:05 am
Matt wrote: October 14, 2019, 9:59 am If CA wants to improve the game, a road like that needs to be deemed unacceptable. In international cricket, they have that new 'pitch grading' system, for safety, results, etc, etc, to remove these sort of contests. That pitch would get a fail grade. Too many demerit points and you lose games. I hope this applies here.
It could also distort the form of batsmen competing for a test spot. You can't really pick somebody on the back of a big score in this game as it doesn't represent what they will face in a test match.

100% agree.
However, I bet CA dont see it that way. They will see 200s and 100s and say that bloke has form and X number of runs etc
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: October 14, 2019, 10:25 am

100% agree.
However, I bet CA dont see it that way. They will see 200s and 100s and say that bloke has form and X number of runs etc
Since when was scoring runs a pre-requisite for selection as a batsman in the test team? :?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: October 14, 2019, 11:23 am
Matt wrote: October 14, 2019, 10:25 am

100% agree.
Since when was scoring runs a pre-requisite for selection as a batsman in the test team? :?
:lol: :roflmao :lol:
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id ... egulations

TLDR - The boundary countback rule that England "won" the world cup based upon has been scrapped.

Numpties.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The ICC never imagined in their wildest dreams that two sides would play a super over and still be tied. In a WC final no less.

But just in case that does happen...lets have a boundary count back.

Terrible decision to start off with. And way too late for the Kiwis.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: