2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews

Post by Northern Raider »

I was confident against the Storm and again against the Bunnies. I'm not confident against the Roosters. We would need to do something exceptional to get over them.

The upside is I won't be as disappointed if we lose. I think Sticky and the boys have done a brilliant job just to make it to the big dance. To win it would be a massive bonus.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I wasn't confident against the storm, we won
I wasn't confident against the rabbits, we won

I'm really not confident this week...

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:I was confident against the Storm and again against the Bunnies. I'm not confident against the Roosters. We would need to do something exceptional to get over them.

The upside is I won't be as disappointed if we lose. I think Sticky and the boys have done a brilliant job just to make it to the big dance. To win it would be a massive bonus.
I was confident against the Storm and EXTREMELY confident against the bunnies... really don’t know how I feel this week though
Smurfette
Brett Mullins

Post by Smurfette »

Raider Azz wrote: September 30, 2019, 10:31 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 30, 2019, 9:38 am Fun fact: Cooper Cronk has played 9 GFs in his 16 year career. That a GF appearance percentage of 56%

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
That fact doesn't sound very fun to me.
Funner fact: John Bateman has played 5 GFs in his 9 year career. That’s a GF appearance percentage of 56%.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Coastalraider wrote: September 30, 2019, 5:41 pm
The Rickman wrote: September 30, 2019, 5:37 pm
Coastalraider wrote:I’m just showing blind faith in ‘Nickmanism’ this week - he showed me a post on the weekend with his preseason predictions and why we would make the grand final, and every bloody prediction came true.

He also says we will win on Sunday, so I’ve stopped putting any thought into it, and will just accept that a win is a foregone conclusion now.

Have faith in ‘Nickstradamus’.

#idreamgreenin2019
Yeah, genuinely spewing I didn’t use these powers to predict the lotto numbers instead.

Ah well, have to just settle for a Raiders premiership and Aidan Sezer getting Clive Churchill medalist, I s’pose.
I just put some $ on Hodgo paying $11 for The Churchill - Papa paying $8 for anytime scorer!
I whacked a sly 20 on Papa for Clive Churchill before the Souths game. He was $31. I thought this overs given he and Hodgo will get the star player bonus for the Raiders (at the time Hodgo was $15).
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Smurfette wrote: September 30, 2019, 6:39 pm
Raider Azz wrote: September 30, 2019, 10:31 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 30, 2019, 9:38 am Fun fact: Cooper Cronk has played 9 GFs in his 16 year career. That a GF appearance percentage of 56%

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
That fact doesn't sound very fun to me.
Funner fact: John Bateman has played 5 GFs in his 9 year career. That’s a GF appearance percentage of 56%.
love this fact!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

The Rickman wrote: September 30, 2019, 6:36 pm
Northern Raider wrote:I was confident against the Storm and again against the Bunnies. I'm not confident against the Roosters. We would need to do something exceptional to get over them.

I was confident against the Storm and EXTREMELY confident against the bunnies... really don’t know how I feel this week though
Muppet.

I give up. Roosters by 633.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Northern Raider wrote: September 30, 2019, 6:32 pm I was confident against the Storm and again against the Bunnies. I'm not confident against the Roosters. We would need to do something exceptional to get over them.

Maybe true from our point of view, but we need to start thinking of this being the regular thing for our club for the next few years and so I hope, if we don't win, it really drives the boys on to a premiership in future years.

But, I'm still hopeful of a Panthers 2003 type win for us this year. I'm not giving up hope. We've found a way, week after week, to be in games right to the death. There's something special about the 2019 raiders. And I think it would be much better for the game if we won, than the asshats from bondi.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

I think to win we must crack skulls here... full legal barrage.
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Elliot whitehead has a good strike rate of legally removing opposition players.
This place is woke.
Green Machine 2011
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Machine 2011 »

Question wrote: September 30, 2019, 7:03 pm I think to win we must crack skulls here... full legal barrage.
The Question has been answered!!!
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

We need to meet them in defence like we did Melbourne in week 1.
We stunned the Scum with our defence and I am sure they will look to destroy the Rorters.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

EJ wrote: September 30, 2019, 1:37 pm I also don't see the negativity towards us. Just a lot of people correctly saying Goosters are favourites. They are. Who cares? They don't have the emotional tidal wave that's heading up the Hume right now. I think that counts for a lot. If we win, those same people will also correctly be singing our praises.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Agree. I've been saying for a few months we're exactly where we want to be. The less attention we get this week, the better, and the Roosters are rightfully favourites as they're the top side.

One thing that counts for a lot in big games is that team bond and desire to push towards the ultimate goal. We'll have that special desire that they had last year, everyone knows the chances to win something like this is rare. It is a battle of experience vs desire and I don't mind that equation.

The support going into Sunday is going to be massive for the boys and they have to find that mix of enjoying it and handling it.

Another awesome thing for the club is our premiership drought and the opposition being unpopular premiers. Every neutral is with us and with every other household and pub in the country supporting us massively, we should pick up some supporters for life, especially if we win.

Enjoy your week people.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

I'm way less nervous this week than last already. Good sign for how the players are possibly feeling. No expectation - all hunger.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Question wrote: September 30, 2019, 7:03 pm I think to win we must crack skulls here... full legal barrage.
And feast on the goo?
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

We thrive as the underdogs. This suits us well. Whatever the Roosters might claim, I'd wager that nearly every neutral in that stadium would prefer us to win. If we thought 26,000 was loud, imagine 60,000 shouting us home!

I am going into this game just relishing this moment. I'm going to watch the Raiders play in the Grand Final, and god, I've been waiting all my life for this. Even if we lose, I'll be so proud.

One frustrating thing is all the hype stuff being in the middle of the day! The open training session, the send-off, and probably even the welcome home on Tuesday. Some of us can't just take time off at the drop of a hat, you know!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

-TW- wrote: September 30, 2019, 11:59 am Magic round we were blown off the park, and the scoreboard flattered us.

The last game we lost by an arsey try where CNK cartwheeled over Tupou and knocked on.

If we can stick with them after 25 were a big show, but I'm worried about being down 18-0 just purely cause we're overawed

Unlike you to be a doom predictor TW. We will be ready to go from the opening whistle. We have a mostly International pack. We have 2 backs who played Origin this year along with Kiwi International Rapa. CNK has been rock solid and getting even better as the finals series has moved on. As long as our blokes don't over react to the niggle, we will be fine. I want to see us driving them back in tackle after tackle to show we are up for whatever the 'glamour' side has to offer. Defensive discipline is the key. That will bring frustration out in them. I am not expecting a score blow out one way or the other. I am expecting us to play out the full 80 minutes and finish above them on the score board because every Raider in the 17 did their job.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

RedRaider wrote: September 30, 2019, 8:17 pm
-TW- wrote: September 30, 2019, 11:59 am Magic round we were blown off the park, and the scoreboard flattered us.

The last game we lost by an arsey try where CNK cartwheeled over Tupou and knocked on.

If we can stick with them after 25 were a big show, but I'm worried about being down 18-0 just purely cause we're overawed

Unlike you to be a doom predictor TW. We will be ready to go from the opening whistle. We have a mostly International pack. We have 2 backs who played Origin this year along with Kiwi International Rapa. CNK has been rock solid and getting even better as the finals series has moved on. As long as our blokes don't over react to the niggle, we will be fine. I want to see us driving them back in tackle after tackle to show we are up for whatever the 'glamour' side has to offer. Defensive discipline is the key. That will bring frustration out in them. I am not expecting a score blow out one way or the other. I am expecting us to play out the full 80 minutes and finish above them on the score board because every Raider in the 17 did their job.
I’ll have a piece of that Red.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I think we'll be sending out the same 17 next week but I honestly would be going with Sutton starting, Sia to the bench and Guler missing out. But as I said, not expecting it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

David Shillington hails Josh Papalii as Canberra Raiders enter NRL grand final

David Shillington can still remember the moment he walked downstairs and saw Josh Papalii tucking into his breakfast.

"Me, Dane Tilse and Tommy Learoyd-Lahrs saw him eating pancakes and bacon with all this maple syrup for breakfast. Then he came out that game and scored two tries against the Broncos, they just couldn't stop him, he was a beast.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Josh Hodgson HIA investigation could take until after NRL grand final

The NRL's investigation into the Canberra Raiders' implementation of concussion protocols surrounding Josh Hodgson might take until after the grand final.

"Doctors are people of integrity who have very ethical decisions they need to make," Graham Annesley said.

How much is that Raider in the window?

He's the halfback who has led his team into a grand final while free to find another club next season, and Aidan Sezer has the ultimate shop window to find a new job for 2020.

"I don't care one bit," Sezer said of his contract situation. "It is what it is. I've still got a contract here next year. You pay your manager six per cent of your contract for a reason. I'll leave everything with him. Hopefully I can showcase my skills and get something done."

Canberra gets chance to give Raiders NRL grand final send off

The Canberra Raiders will leave Raiders headquarters Wednesday 10.30am, accompanied by the Viking horn, and fans are invited to show their support before they head up the Hume Highway to take on the Sydney Roosters at ANZ Stadium in Sunday's grand final.

"We're told two-thirds of the corporate hospitality purchased have been by Raiders people in Sydney. That's a big thing. And the tickets could even be two-thirds.

JWH eyes 'fantastic' Papalii as battle of big men looms large

Jared Waerea-Hargreaves was blown away by Josh Papalii's performance in the Raiders' preliminary final win on Friday night.

"(Papalii) played fantastic (on Friday) but for us, it's about worrying about us and what we do as front rowers.

'It means more to our fans': Raiders chief on offensive as supporters snap up tickets

Canberra Raiders chief executive Don Furner has fired the first shot across the bow of grand final rivals the Roosters, claiming a surge in demand for tickets from the club's supporters shows the decider means more to their fans "than the people in the eastern suburbs of Sydney".

Rapana family to make NRL grand final history

Get set for a Rapana party with Canberra winger Jordan and Brisbane NRLW forward Tazmin Gray set to make history on grand-final day. Rapana and Gray on Sunday are set to become the first brother-sister combination to both play on the NRL's biggest day.

Canberra Raiders' million-dollar NRL grand-final boost

The Canberra Raiders could land a $1 million financial windfall after making their first NRL grand final in 25 years.

Win NRL grand final tickets: Show your Canberra Raiders passion: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Times sport podcast: Can the Canberra Raiders win the NRL grand final? https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Cooper Cronk reveals plan to keep emotions in check in the lead up to last NRL game: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/cronk-reve ... 6379518489

'We won't focus too much on that': How Roosters will react to Sticky's stripping sledge: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-grand- ... ffc1e5b808

The honest truth about Ricky Stuart and this grand final: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-grand- ... 3674ceb962

Ricky Stuart can become the seventh person to win a premiership as a player and a coach at the same club and the first since Steve Folkes did it at Canterbury in 2004: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/stuart-cou ... 3268960a6f

Josh Papalii's incredible transformation draws incredible praise from legends: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/josh-papal ... 154040cbab
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

:roflmao
Jeez Tooves hates the raiders.... reckons Papalii should have got charged for the hit on Dowee.... and reckons that Fonua blake and Tapau are the best props in the game :lol:
Showing no bias with Manly of course.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I’m super relaxed about this week, at least at the moment. I’ll probably start getting nervous later in the week.

This week is just about soaking it up, having fun and experiencing what is an absolute novelty for a large swathe or our fans such as myself.

If we win on Sunday it will be absolute joy, absolute rapture.

I can’t think of a team apart from the storm better suited to ruin the Roosters b2b party.
Up The Milk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

RedRaider wrote:

Yeah Red!! Was an absolute pleasure to finally meet you on Friday night too!
Mariner
Peter Jackson

Post by Mariner »

edit
Last edited by Mariner on September 9, 2022, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

Northern Raider wrote: September 30, 2019, 6:32 pm I was confident against the Storm and again against the Bunnies. I'm not confident against the Roosters. We would need to do something exceptional to get over them.

Totally agree. Let’s hope that L Keary ankle is bad and if he plays he has a stinker.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

I was confident, anxious and excited last week.
This week I have no idea, i feel numb. It’s like it hasn’t sunk in at all.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Gus on 100% footy giving us pretty much no
Hope of getting the win on Sunday; roosters have to get it very wrong and we have to get it very right in order to be competitive.

Thoughts? Seems a bit harsh for mine. No one is saying we are favourites by any stretch but I think if our defence holds strong and we have a nice game in attack we will be right there in the game up to our eyeballs.
Up The Milk
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

My logic is we're due for a breakbout attacking game. Our attack has been off for a while now- what better time to break out of a slump than in the GF.

Both of our games against the Roosters have been day matches with fast tracks. I'm expecting conditions to make this a tighter match which suits us. If Leipana or Bateman can pull a couple of rabbits out of the hat that may be enough.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

If Gus had of jumped out of that window a few years back in Newcastle like he promised we wouldn't have to listen to his dribble...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Rads1984
Brett Mullins

Post by Rads1984 »

We need 3-4 moments of brilliance.

1. A Bateman hit and spin on their try line resulting in a try. Either Bateman try or CNK trailing through.
2. Leilua magic flick pass for Rapana try.
3. Wighton running like a man possessed to score in the corner.
4. Croker to score from a well-placed Sezer bomb.

Raiders 22- Roosters 18

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

We need to avoid being blown off the park by the roosters in the first 25-30 more than anything. They go into that top gear they are hard to stop but it takes a hell of a lot out of them. We need to defend like demons and hurt them in tackles as much as possible. There are chances against them if a team can weather that early storm.

We are the only team to score more than 3 tries on them since origin as an aside.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Papas going to kill them all, one at a time.

Starting with big teeth Tedesco.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

The start of this game is absolutely critical. We need to contain the chooks for the first 10-15 minutes and just play our way into the game. If we can do that then we give ourselves a chance of winning this.

The other times we played them this year we gave them big head starts we couldn’t chase down so let’s not do that again!

One thing I noticed last week was how often papalii pokes his nose through but didn’t have anyone to offload to. I’d love to see Wighton and CNK following papalii on every single run because he will create opportunities for us to bust them through the middle.

Everything points to this being an incredibly close game. Try saving tackle will have just as big an impact here as tries so we need to trust our structures, hold our line and then scramble like our lives depend on it when we have to!

I’m not expecting us to win but I genuinely believe that with a touch of luck we can!
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Re: 2019 Grand Final: Teams and Previews

Post by Kryptonite »

GreenMachine wrote: September 27, 2019, 11:52 pm 25 years!
25 years for this Preview Thread. Let that sink in!
There was no such thing as a "thread" 25 yrs ago, let that sink in, our time has finally arrived!
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Rads1984 wrote: September 30, 2019, 11:00 pm We need 3-4 moments of brilliance.

1. A Bateman hit and spin on their try line resulting in a try. Either Bateman try or CNK trailing through.
2. Leilua magic flick pass for Rapana try.
3. Wighton running like a man possessed to score in the corner.
4. Croker to score from a well-placed Sezer bomb.

Raiders 22- Roosters 18

Croker to kick 4 from 4 his kicking will be the difference i reckon
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk