2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews

Post by Northern Raider »

Wiki Special wrote: September 29, 2019, 2:43 pm Anyone else see any value in starting Sia on the bench in the big one? Or do you prefer our 3 best middles (Papa, Sia, Tapine) starting?
In such a big game I'd prefer Sia starting given his experience.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: 2019 Grand Final V Roosters : Teams and Previews

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I wonder what the plan is? Train with Mounties while up here, and have them try and replicate Roosters I’m assuming

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Big test this week. Roosters defence is first rate. Our attack a bit clunky/pedestrian, much like the Storm. When we have had success against them this year it has been through offloads and 2nd phase, which is not our typical error-free style. I think we will need to take a few chances with offloads and 2nd phase in the attacking zone. I hope JL is recovering nicely - any news on this?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: September 29, 2019, 3:25 pm
Wiki Special wrote: September 29, 2019, 2:43 pm Anyone else see any value in starting Sia on the bench in the big one? Or do you prefer our 3 best middles (Papa, Sia, Tapine) starting?
In such a big game I'd prefer Sia starting given his experience.
I wonder how much those opening 10 minutes in a big game take out of a player and I wonder if that was partly the thinking behind Papa starting on the bench against the Storm. Sit out the opening and dominate the 60 minutes you’re on or play the first 20 and have less impact through the rest of the game.

I thought Tarps was awesome in the opening against Souths. I’m thinking Sia might start on the bench but agree his experience and energy would be handy from the start. Any chance Papa starts on the bench?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 29, 2019, 3:28 pm I wonder what the plan is? Train with Mounties while up here, and have them try and replicate Roosters I’m assuming

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Get on the cans and have a punt, Tommy Raudonikis style.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Re: 2019 Grand Final V Roosters/Storm: Teams and Previews

Post by Boomercm »

LastRaider wrote: September 28, 2019, 10:31 pm Playing the Roosters now, there is going to be a lot of pressure on Sezer. The team who kicks best will take it
I hope you are wrong because our mid range kicking is average, and short kicking diabolical. We're a better side when we run it into the corners!

EDIT: The short kick from Hodgson in behind the edge is an exception to this rule. We will need this play as our halves are pretty clueless against rushing edge defence. Jack is a bit of a threat stepping back inside on the run, but neither he or Sezer can feign the pass to bring the line up and then pop through a grubber. They telegraph everything and hit feet or completely f*ck the execution some other way. We're limited, and have learnt to play/win within those limits.
Last edited by Boomercm on September 29, 2019, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

Their backs are better out forwards are better!
Get on the front foot with the forwards and we have some players that can do damage.
Hoping to see some unpredictable leipana stuff from 2016! Haven’t seen it in a while.
PJC01
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Mullins

Post by PJC01 »

Come on Raiders

Some simple ploys which I think can catch the roosters off guard.
Do not bomb their wingers or backs they are big bodies and can defuse it’s a waste of a option.
Short low to the ground grubbers behind the line tadesco will clean up but Tupou,Manu and mitchel all have trouble getting low to get them and hence they all stick their feet out and play at the grubber and can give repeat sets to opposition because they bank on their defence,MUST convert into points.
Roosters also have a lot of penalties In them again Banking on their defence -JWH,Tetevano,Tukeiho,tire and we need to weather the storm but there is no doubt they are sloppy and get found out!
Weather their storm in the first 20 minutes and then retaliate

That’s my ten cents and let’s get this fairy tale
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Does daylight saving start this weekend?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Northern Raider wrote: September 29, 2019, 5:00 pm Does daylight saving start this weekend?
Yes
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

afgtnk wrote: September 29, 2019, 5:02 pm
Northern Raider wrote: September 29, 2019, 5:00 pm Does daylight saving start this weekend?
Yes
Thanks. I went to the NRL website article titled "Grand Final schedule. Everything you need to know."

It wasn't quite everything. :)
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: September 29, 2019, 9:57 am Maybe, but the Roosters have been here and done it, our team are complete rookies at the whole GF occasion, so we'll have our hands full in making sure our guys don't get overawed by the occasion as well.

Roosters rightly go in as favourites, but I hope we can surprise them.

Yep, they’ll be favourites and they should be. I think most would concede on paper they’re a better team than us

But better doesn’t mean **** in a one game scenario. We’ve just got to come out and play to the best of our abilities.

If we do that, i think we can and will win
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Boomercm wrote:I hope JL is recovering nicely - any news on this?
Think in my skimming I saw a Canberra Times article with a headline saying Raiders are confident he’ll play.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Saw the first thoughts were either a deep cork or bone bruising

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Jonalanat
Noa Nadruku

Post by Jonalanat »

I bumped into BJ at 11.30pm coming out of ground on Friday nite and asked about his calf. He said he’ll be sweet for the GF...hope that helps alleviate concern...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Great news if BJ is fit to go!

I think we need to play the offload game we played against the Storm when we beat them in the regular season.

Agree our kicks should be grubbers. Pressure their back 3.

I can’t wait. So proud of the team. I think we can do this!
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Papa starting from the bench was 100% because the storms strategy would have involved their starting props going after papa and trying to work him over. Was a fantastic play that they are shrugging off as nothing.
Dont delete this GE
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

The roosters at their best are easily the best team in the competition and if they click they will be very difficult to beat. That said I don’t think we have seen the best possible footy from the raiders this year so next Sunday would be a great time to roll that out!

What the storm showed is that strong defence and spoiling tactics disrupt the roosters attacking rhythm and make them bearable.

We need a few things to go our way but the NRL loves a fairy tale and the only one still going is the raiders!
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Any members out there who do not need their code?
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I’ve always felt our best starts are when Sia and Paps are on the field.

It also helps Lui ease into the game, as he is bringing fresh legs into a game that’s 15-20 mins old.
EVH
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by EVH »

Ah, might as well jump (Jump!) Might as well jump Go ahead an' jump (jump!) Go ahead and jump Ow oh, hey you! Who said that?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I hope Jack has a look at the opposition before he throws the cut out pass to our left winger. Roosters will jam in and be right in between our attacking line. If he can get beyond his marker and then look to pass it, I reckon the ball will go behind their defenders and our winger will have a straight run to the try line. It will be a case of using their aggressive defensive line against them.

I would definitely start Papa for this match for the opening half hour. I would also start with Lui. Sia to come on after 20 minutes or so to bring his customary energy in place of Lui. Papa to play the last 20 minutes of the match as well when we will likely need our best on the park. There will have to be a tough call made about the bench. Havili and Sutton have been there or there abouts all season. HorsPOWER is a certainty imo. So I wold have HorsPOWER and Sia on the bench as certainties and then a lottery for the other 2 places. Joey will struggle to make the side due to injury, but if he does then Simmo will be needed for backline cover. One place left between Guler, Havili and Sutton. Guler has the size, Havili is so versatile in playing hooker or backrow and Sutton is the most experienced. I would go with Havili, which means he won't get a GF run. LOL.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Roosters will jam up all day.
They did it to Melbourne and to us at home.
We need smart good kicking behind them to keep them honest.
Sezer will have to play the game of his life.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

GreenMachine wrote: September 29, 2019, 9:10 pm Roosters will jam up all day.
Sezer is ok from 30m but no closer. Tends to chip high and too deep. Jack grubbers them dead. Both low percentage options for us from inside 20.

I'd be having Hodgo kick in behind, or run to the corner and attack them with our defence.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

PigRickman wrote: September 29, 2019, 5:42 pm
Azza wrote: September 29, 2019, 9:57 am Maybe, but the Roosters have been here and done it, our team are complete rookies at the whole GF occasion, so we'll have our hands full in making sure our guys don't get overawed by the occasion as well.

Yep, they’ll be favourites and they should be. I think most would concede on paper they’re a better team than us

But better doesn’t mean **** in a one game scenario. We’ve just got to come out and play to the best of our abilities.

Panthers 2003
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Wighton and Sezer are both great short kickers on thier day, Hodgson is the most dominant #9 in the game behind Cam Smith on his day...

We need 2/3 of them to hace their day on Sunday.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders optimistic Joey Leilua will be fit for the NRL decider

The Canberra Raiders are optimistic strike centre Joey Leilua will pull off his second medical miracle of the season.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders look to go all the way with Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Somewhat prophetic, isn't it? Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad bursts onto the scene and the Canberra Raiders' revelation sparks a line of merchandise with the slogan "all the way with CNK".

"My partner showed me a little while ago as well and I was just cracking up, I was thinking this was a funny joke," Nicoll-Klokstad said.

One of the game's good guys finally puts finals heartbreak behind him

The first thing Jarrod Croker can remember seeing as Canberra went wild at full-time on Friday night was all his mates and family decked out in his famous white headgear.

"I couldn't miss them," said Croker, his voice noticeably raspy after celebrating an epic preliminary final win over South Sydney. "I had about 80 or 90 tickets for family and mates, including a few of my groomsmen, and they all wore the white headgear.

Canberra Raiders forward Emre Guler lost sight of NRL grand final hope

Emre Guler pulled into the car park at Canberra Raiders headquarters with little more to rely on than hope. For the Raiders rookie "honestly couldn't see" himself forcing his way back into Ricky Stuart's 17-man squad for the NRL finals.

"I just had an attitude where I was thinking I've got to do my best week in, week out at training and play good, so if the opportunity arises, I will be ready.

Why the Canberra Raiders are the people's team in NRL grand final

Rugby league is a game built on rivalries and passion fuelled by the perception of class warfare. So it is fitting the Canberra Raiders will enter their first grand final in 25 years as rank outsiders against a Sydney Roosters outfit defending their title in front of a packed house in their home city.

Green Machine have plenty of petrol left in tank for grand final

His form through the second half of the season has been key to the Canberra Raiders making the grand final, but Aidan Sezer knows he has a lot more to give on the biggest stage of all.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/29/gre ... and-final/

Canberra Raiders' Ricky Stuart's coaching career comes full circle

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart's coaching career has come full circle - he's trying to win an NRL premiership against the club he led to one 17 years ago.

"It's a grand final mate, I don't care who we're playing. There's a lot at stake and I don't care what team we play against it's just a matter of all doing our jobs the best we possibly can this week."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... ll-circle/

Practice makes perfect: How Raiders hung on with 12 men: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/29/pra ... th-12-men/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

To all the posters of The Greenhouse...

We're going to need your help this week, like we've never asked for it before.

It is Grand Final week.

It is the first Grand Final week since the inception of The Greenhouse that the Canberra Raiders have been in the Grand Final.

The Admins and Mods are going to be in all sorts of different places this week, covering events. So we'd like you to post the news... as you see it. It is a simple formula. Make sure you add the headline... a short taster of the news... no full stories... and the link to the story. You can see how I do it...

We would really appreciate the help this week!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cameron Smith tips the Sydney Roosters to go back-to-back

Cameron Smith tried every trick he knew to try to break the near-impregnable Sydney Roosters defence in their preliminary final win over the Storm.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/29/smi ... k-to-back/
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Can you **** believe we're playing in a Grand Final this week? GRAND FINAL
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Boomercm wrote: September 29, 2019, 9:27 pm
GreenMachine wrote: September 29, 2019, 9:10 pm Roosters will jam up all day.
Sezer is ok from 30m but no closer. Tends to chip high and too deep. Jack grubbers them dead. Both low percentage options for us from inside 20.

I'd be having Hodgo kick in behind, or run to the corner and attack them with our defence.
Jack is pretty good for a 5/8th, better than average this year in forced drop outs. Sezer not so much, currently close to bottom of the pile. Also of concern is the rapid deterioration in his long kicking game (if he ever kicks). Seems to have a very shallow boot these days.

Agree with Hodgo, think he's our best option - he's the best behind Smith and Farah with the boot. Still a massive concern though, our short kicking was putrid, alongside our overall inside 20 attack. I'd hate to think how many points Raiders teams of old would've conceded with the amount of repeat possession Souths' halves were able to generate for their team.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

I'm going to pull you up on that one, mate. The Roosters have the best collection of players.

I think we're going to find out on Sunday that doesn't always make the best team.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

afgtnk wrote: September 30, 2019, 12:28 am Can you **** believe we're playing in a Grand Final this week? GRAND FINAL
I'm still triple checking the news to confirm its us..

US !!!

It's just magical really. 25yrs. My son is 25, he was born in 1994.

It's a whole lifetime.

Was there Internet ? Bookface ? Mobile phones ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

MrPosh wrote: September 30, 2019, 5:33 am

I'm going to pull you up on that one, mate. The Roosters have the best collection of players.

I think we're going to find out on Sunday that doesn't always make the best team.
A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

They are clear favourites, and so they should be. For those saying “Panthers 2003” - of course, nothing is certain, but we are currently 3.4ish on Betfair - meaning, we would expect a single victory playing them 3.4 times (in probability space). For every Panthers 2003, there will be 3 or 4 Storm vs. Cowboys (2017), where the favourites romped home. Just saying - don’t get your hopes up too much, enjoy the week and I am sure the guys will put in a performance that we can be proud of. They will respect the Roosters but not fear them, and hopefully attack their few weaknesses (not a great long kicking game, rushing edge defence). They have a clear edge on us with their backline, while we have a very slight edge in the forwards.