2019 Grand Final V Roosters: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: 2019 Grand Final V Roosters/Storm: Teams and Previews

Post by gangrenous »

I absolutely consider Havili, Oldfield, Young* and Williams part of this grand final bound team. You need a squad to make it and they’ve been amazing for us.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: 2019 Grand Final: Teams and Previews

Post by Thomas Raider »

reptar wrote: September 28, 2019, 12:11 am GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL!
Hey Reptar how is Frank this morning? And will he turn green for the GRAND FINAL????? :roflmao
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Frank be like:
MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Yessssss :D I think that`s how we are all feel this morning :roflmao
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

So many players copped knocks last night there may be some last minute fitness tests needed. I had BJ, JB, Hodgo, Tapine and Jack as needing treatment during the match.

But we have depth as we have rarely had before and players who have proven themselves at FG level this year will not make the GF 17.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: 2019 Grand Final: Teams and Previews

Post by reptar »

Thomas Raider wrote:
reptar wrote: September 28, 2019, 12:11 am GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL GRAND FINAL!
Hey Reptar how is Frank this morning? And will he turn green for the GRAND FINAL????? :roflmao
He's as excited as I am! The other cats are scared of me this morning, though!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

gangrenous wrote:Frank be like:
MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW
Yes, that was him when i hadn't fed him by 6am this morning.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

RedRaider wrote:So many players copped knocks last night there may be some last minute fitness tests needed. I had BJ, JB, Hodgo, Tapine and Jack as needing treatment during the match.

But we have depth as we have rarely had before and players who have proven themselves at FG level this year will not make the GF 17.
I reckon BJ is the only one at risk of not playing from what I saw.

They’ll have to strap Wighton’s shoulder something special if he subluxed his shoulder though. That’ll dampen his defence.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

gangrenous wrote: September 28, 2019, 9:20 am I absolutely consider Havili, Oldfield, Young* and Williams part of this grand final bound team. You need a squad to make it and they’ve been amazing for us.
Yep, it's been a squad effort.

All the boys not taking part were there last night in their best clobber.

I saw Havili, Starling, Murchie and more on the sideline and in the sheds at fulltime.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

julian87 wrote:Putting on the logical hat. If Leilua is unfit (I hope not!) I’d definitely have Havili come onto the bench rather than Kris. I **** my pants when Hodgson reeled out of that tackle last night.

You’ve got to back what Stuart is doing with Simonsson on the bench currently. But in a gf if there’s no Leilua I’d rather Bateman as back coverage than Kris if it means you can cover Hodgson too. If Oldfield was fit it might be a different story.
I think Sam Williams would have to come into the picture for the utility spot. Probably better to have cover for 9,7,6 and 1 which he offers.
Velda
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Velda »

Josh ok to play!!!
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Papalii free to play! Wooohoo!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I don't see Ricky making any unforced changes. The risk was the same last night regarding Hodgo as it is next week, it would be odd to change it now.
tragic
Brett Mullins

Post by tragic »

I just can't stop tearing-up each time I think about it.
Not even kidding.

I mean, I've put 30 years of unwavering support into this club, but I still didn't realise just how much it would mean to me to get to the GF.

So much built up emotion.

So many people around me have put up with my antics and mood swings and craziness. The postponed family events that clash with Raiders games. The driving 30km in the middle of a camping trip just to get to a pub to watch the coverage. iPads and laptops and 4g dongles just so I don't miss a minute, no matter where I am. Watching recorded games at 3am after friends weddings, or worse- earphones and a radio during the reception. Jerseys and trial games and photos with players.. baby clothes, memorabilia... I've thrown phones in rage, punched the beer fridge in disappointment, hugged strangers in joy, and shared a beer with some of the players.
Just such a big part of my life, that has created so many great memories.

Along the way I've managed to drag in more supporters. My in-laws are all onboard and cheer almost as hard as me. Housemates from years ago are staunchly with me now. I'm getting messages from people I haven't seen in over 5 years, and work colleagues who never communicate outside of work.

I haven't lived in Canberra for a long time, but I place immense value on the fact that this club is engaged with the community. I have so much respect for Ricky driving that commitment. I love that over the years of some struggling rosters, the club held firm on player behaviour, even though it hurt the onfield results further.
I truly think it is a club to be proud of.

My old man was a mad dragons fan, and we shared a bottle of Penfolds Grange after their last premiership. We loved the rivalry, but I knew he had a soft spot for the Raiders. And he knew how much they mean to me.
I would've loved to be able to share a drink with him now, because he'd be chuffed to see me so happy, and so hopeful.

I'll savour this week. Enjoy everyone!

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

Raiders member no# 2278.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Lovely post, tragic. We've been through difficult times supporting our team. We were sure we'd never see another premiership let alone play in a grand final.

This will be a week we'll never forget.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders forward Josh Papalii free to play in Grand Final after all-clear from match review committee

Josh Papalii was placed on report for a tackle on Souths fullback Adam Doueihi in the preliminary final on Friday night, but he wasn't charged by the Match Review Committee.

Sia Soliola was charged with a grade one careless high tackle on Sam Burgess but the charge only amounts to a $1150 fine, leaving him free to play in the premiership decider.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/28/i-g ... ueihi-hit/
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Gus has had a shot at the way the players celebrated after the win Image

What I’m a little concerned about was the amount of celebration at full-time and just the overflow of euphoria,” Gould said.

“It is hard to come down off that high and get yourself ready for the next big one.

“You won’t see Melbourne or Sydney tonight, whoever wins that game you won’t see that type of emotion and celebration from them because they’ll know there is a bigger game ahead.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 71befd52ff

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Can we not share anything bee sting has to say ?

The bloke is a high quality dribbler..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

-PJ- wrote: September 28, 2019, 12:08 pm Can we not share anything bee sting has to say ?

The bloke is a high quality dribbler..
100%
What a killjoy.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

julian87 wrote: September 28, 2019, 8:42 am Putting on the logical hat. If Leilua is unfit (I hope not!) I’d definitely have Havili come onto the bench rather than Kris. I **** my pants when Hodgson reeled out of that tackle last night.

You’ve got to back what Stuart is doing with Simonsson on the bench currently. But in a gf if there’s no Leilua I’d rather Bateman as back coverage than Kris if it means you can cover Hodgson too. If Oldfield was fit it might be a different story.
It's almost certainly Leilua out and Havili in.

There is no way Leilua can be anywhere near fit with that leg injury. We also need cover for Hodgson. Nothing else makes sense.

I'd start Soliola on the bench too.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Phil Gould was always going to say something like that.

Ironically it was probably the most subdued team victory song this season. The boys clearly knew they were largely outplayed last night and got away with one off the back of their defence. They know they need to improve next weekend.

Gould can bite me. He's been wrong about us for years.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Papalli shouldn't have even been penalised. Just Cummins things

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

We were a bit rusty, for sure. And we must improve for our next game.

Thing is, I'm not sure we've played anywhere near our best this year, but here we are!!

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Well look if Gould thinks that then I think we’re absolute locks for this.

Time after time he shows that he is Jon Snow.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

We definitely looked gassed early, but at the back end of the game we had way more in the tank.

Gould can piss off. What a stupid thing to comment on. Complete ignorance of the fact that Melbourne and Roosters have played in just about every GF over the last 10 years.

They guy is a pretender at the highest order and people lap it up.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

Gould what an absolute donkey. We havent made a grand final since salt n pepa were pumping out the bangers and he thinks we got too excited ?
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

gangrenous wrote:Well look if Gould thinks that then I think we’re absolute locks for this.

Time after time he shows that he is Jon Snow.
Yeah. I thought they sounded pretty focused on next Sunday, to be honest.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

If we did have any focus issues Gould's comments will quickly fix that. Gould has done us some great favours by repeatedly criticising us. May it continue!

And GO PAPS! What a hero. So excited that he is free to play and enjoy the lead up.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Gus is just angry that Souffffs will not be in the final.
Those idiots on 9 think Souffffs are everybody's second favourite team.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

gangrenous wrote: September 28, 2019, 9:40 am
RedRaider wrote:So many players copped knocks last night there may be some last minute fitness tests needed. I had BJ, JB, Hodgo, Tapine and Jack as needing treatment during the match.

I reckon BJ is the only one at risk of not playing from what I saw.

They’ll have to strap Wighton’s shoulder something special if he subluxed his shoulder though. That’ll dampen his defence.
BJ looked like he copped a knock so possibly only a cork. Fingers crossed
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Gus is just flip flopping as usual.There are just as many examples of teams winning comps by riding the emotion as there is from being calm and collected about it.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I think you find Gould that it appears that way because the Raiders were generous enough to allow camera’s access to the dressing room.

You probably won’t see that tonight because Melbourne and Roosters never let camera’s in!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2019 Grand Final V Roosters/Storm: Teams and Previews

Post by gangrenous »

Anyone else think Fox’s pregame last night was heavily behind the Raiders? Maybe I just blocked out bits on the Bunnies, but they seemed way more keen on the Raiders story.

If the NRL want to get the most out of the grand final in terms of fan attendance and viewership I don’t reckon they could do much better on selling the story of the battlers reliving the glory days up against modern day titans.

I truly expect Raiders fans to be dominant in this crowd next Sunday. After 25 years I expect every single Raiders fan that can possibly make it to be there and drown out the opposition who will have seen there team win it in the last 2 years.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

gangrenous wrote:Anyone else think Fox’s pregame last night was heavily behind the Raiders. Maybe I just blocked out bits on the Bunnies, but they seemed way more keen on the Raiders story.

If the NRL want to get the most out of the grand final in terms of fan attendance and viewership I don’t reckon they could do much better on selling the story of the battlers reliving the glory days up against modern day titans.

I truly expect Raiders fans to be dominant in this crowd next Sunday. After 25 years I expect every single Raiders fan that can possibly make it to be there and drown out the opposition who will have seen there team win it in the last 2 years.
Roosters and Storm have terrible supporters who never travel. Seriously for a roosters fan to travel to ANZ stadium is a big deal!

I expect 85% Raiders supports to 15% Roosters or Storm.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: September 28, 2019, 8:27 am If there is, we will publish it.
https://t.co/F8pyV0qDK8