Ethan Lowe 16. Corey Horsbough
Mark Nicholls 17. Dunamis Lui

Extended Bench
Jaydn Su’A 18. Sam Williams
Corey Allan 19. Ryan Sutton
Dean Britt 20. Siliva Havili
Mawene Hiroti 21. Sebastian Kris

Skins altered to pair like skins.
(Bolded players are the winners of the skin. The extended bench is excluded.)

Match-ups:

Fullbacks:
Charnze Nicholl-Klokstad came from the clouds to join the Raiders only weeks before Round 1. He went from a nobody to a cult hero, to a potential buy of the year candidate. He has been one of the most consistent fullbacks in the NRL this year. Adam Doueihi played his best game of the year last week, and looks a talented player, but this isn’t close.

Wingers:
I’ve never been sold on Alex Johnston, it feels like another Bunnies legend, Nathan Merrit 2.0. That said, Nick Cotric has had a bad run into the finals form wise, and now has a messed-up face to boot, pardon the pun.

Jordan Rapana, like his wing partner, hasn’t had the season he would have liked. He has been banged up and has missed his centre partner for most of the year too. Campbell Graham looks a Daniel Tupou-style winger. He is a tall, fast, good finisher. He has had to play a little bit of centre this year too. I’m a fan of this kid, even if I don’t think he will be much better than he already is. He is an all-effort outside back and very reliable.

Centres:
Jarrod Croker’s only real flaw this year is his goal kicking. He hasn’t been happy with that himself, but he has had a great season otherwise. He will also remember that he dropped the ball in Round 10 against the Rabbits - well, Allan raked it out - when a certain try beckoned with 60 seconds left on the clock. It might have won the game. James Roberts has been more intent on the niggle than winning matches in recent weeks; a recent forearm/elbow drop was ugly. He is also in doubt with a thumb dislocation this week.

Dane Gagai was poor last week, and I think his best games this year have been in the Queensland Maroons jersey. Joey Leilua was lit up in lights a fortnight ago, pun intended. First, he got ash from fireworks in his eye running out onto the field, then with three minutes remaining, threw the winning flick pass. Unfortunately, he has played about 150 minutes of footy in three months. I’m going to apply the injury/suspension rule here, because he has been out with both in that three months.

Halves:
It was a long time ago that Cody Walker was leading the NRL try scoring tally and debuted in the sky Blue. Jack Wighton played all three Origins and has helped lead his team to a Preliminary final.

Adam Reynolds has had to deal with a few niggling injuries this year. Two weeks ago his team was demolished by the Roosters, and last week he very nearly cost his side a win with some awful defence. Aidan Sezer is playing the kind of footy we knew he had in him. His kicking game against the Storm was on point, and his defence was rock solid. The Raiders are in a Preliminary Final because of his form reversal for the latter part of this year.

Prop:
Josh Papalii is the best prop in the NRL, and a three-time Meninga Medalist. Sorry Thomas Burgess - actually, I’m not.

Sia Soliola didn’t play the minutes I would have expected against the Storm, but as usual, what he brought was first class. Liam Knight, a former Raider, has been the Rabbits best metre eater for the past six weeks. He hasn’t been sub 100m since Round 22, and has posted 150m twice. He is now averaging over 100m from 11 carries this season. This is the kind of talent I thought he had. I'm not sure how he didn’t get more games in the capital.

Dunamis Lui is up against a previous Raiders rookie of the year, Mark Nicholls. Both these players are ‘role playing’ middles. They are the guys who are supposed to be mobile around the ruck defensively, have a high work rate and keep the middle period of the game tight. Lui is getting more minutes and starting on and off, so I’m edging it to him.

Emre Guler has won the bench spot over Ryan Sutton. I think this is a case of Sutton being a guy that needs more time to be effective, whereas Guler is the more athletic, bigger body with better impact. He isn’t getting the minutes to even come close to Tevita Tatola. Tatola may have switched roles with Knight in the latter part of the season, but he is averaging 100m from 10 carries a game, which is extremely solid for a bench prop.

The rookie firebrand, Corey Horsburgh, has been very very good this season, and especially good in recent weeks. Last time these two teams met, he took on Sam Burgess and probably got a points decision - with Hudson Young providing exceptional support. This match-up is close, and I'm very tempted to go with Ethan Lowe. I think he has been better than Sam Burgess and John Sutton since joining the Bunnies this year. He showed his class in Origin, his versatility by playing centre this year, and some tricks, being a goal kicking edge backrower.

Hooker/utility:
Josh Hodgson and Damien Cook are two of the top three hookers in the world. I’m not ready to call either #1, but, Cook's form hasn’t been as good since Origin. Teams are mostly containing his running game. Hodgson has become a little rocks and diamonds. But, when the game has been on the line at the back end of the year, he has come up trumps.

Bailey Simmonson versus George Burgess is a weird skin in the utility section. But the Bunnies don’t carry a utility. George has had an unhappy year, while the newly re-signed Simmonson has come leaps and bounds in 2019, and forced his way into the 17, even if it is on the bench.

Backrow:
John Bateman is the best edge player in the NRL this year. John Sutton can tell it walkin’.

Elliott Whitehead has been a little forgotten by many fans, but the club and the players know exactly what he brings. He is as important to this side and his buddy Johnneh. His toughness, motor and ball skills are under appreciated. Sam Burgess has been in the media a lot recently, but none of it has been about his football. As good a player as he is, he hasn’t been "that guy" this year. He has been too busy engaging in the niggle. Last time these teams met he gave away five penalties, and should have been sin binned. Not close, in my opinion.

Joseph Tapine made the big play a fortnight ago to dislodge the ball from Josh Addo-Carr, but this week he goes up against a top three lock in the league, in Cam Murray.

Result
The tally is Rabbitohs six and Raiders 11. I really believe the Rabbitohs have limped and spluttered their way into the top four and the finals. I don’t think they are playing like they did to start the year, and their electric players aren’t making the difference they did. The Rabbits play methodical footy most of the game but require that X-factor from Cook and Walker to really push teams. The Raiders defence has been impenetrable at the back end of the season, and the attack is composed in important moments. If both teams play to the standard of their last performance, this won’t be close.

Result: Raiders to break a 25-year hoodoo (by 14-18).

Plus follow The Greenhouse on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Re: Matt's Match-ups 2019

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Excellent work again, Matt.
Just for the hell of it, I would love you to do a matchup of the other Prelim game as well. Seeing as you have nothing much to do.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm not at all sure that the skins should be so lop sided. Walker, Reynolds, Cook, a couple of Burgesses and Nicholls could easily have forced at least a draw. The three spine players, in particular, are very dangerous - and the Burgesses can be too.

I think this game is going to be a lot closer than a 14-18 margin for the Raiders - and it could easily tip the other way.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: September 25, 2019, 11:16 am I'm not at all sure that the skins should be so lop sided. Walker, Reynolds, Cook, a couple of Burgesses and Nicholls could easily have forced at least a draw. The three spine players, in particular, are very dangerous - and the Burgesses can be too.

I think this game is going to be a lot closer than a 14-18 margin for the Raiders - and it could easily tip the other way.
To be fair, I firmly believe this game only "tips the other way" if the Raiders don't show up 100% committed to the game and take their opponents too lightly.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The Rickman wrote: September 25, 2019, 11:27 am
greeneyed wrote: September 25, 2019, 11:16 am I'm not at all sure that the skins should be so lop sided. Walker, Reynolds, Cook, a couple of Burgesses and Nicholls could easily have forced at least a draw. The three spine players, in particular, are very dangerous - and the Burgesses can be too.

To be fair, I firmly believe this game only "tips the other way" if the Raiders don't show up 100% committed to the game and take their opponents too lightly.
Yep, nailed it.

We are the masters of our destiny here.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Matt wrote: September 25, 2019, 10:32 am ...Dane Gagai was poor last week, and I think his best games this year have been in the Queensland Maroons jersey....
Pretty much sums up his career.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Dane Gagai wins a skin after one of the worst centre displays of the year? Vs a guy who had a solid game vs the #1 team and then chimed in with the winning play?

Now you want a 3 month form line? He's played 2 games back. Been solid at least in both. Gagai had a stinker. Joey wins the skin!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I think you're doing a great job Matt...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote: September 25, 2019, 1:43 pm I think you're doing a great job Matt...
PJ, that's mean!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Thanks a lot Steven, now I'm super worried
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Interesting analysis on Liam Knight - he’s starting to look like one that got away.

Agree with GE that there are a few good bunnies that didn’t force a draw.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Seemed more like Stick pushed Knight out rather than being one that got away. We're set up pretty well for the future with Guler and Horsburgh.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

zim wrote: September 25, 2019, 4:28 pm Seemed more like Stick pushed Knight out rather than being one that got away. We're set up pretty well for the future with Guler and Horsburgh.
Yeah no complaints about Guler and Hors! I actually thought Knight was a bit of a plodder and he’s exceeded my expectations on his talents. Be interesting to see how he progresses. Any thoughts on why Stick flicked him?
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Not sure why Sticky didn't rate him.

He barely got a go with us but when he did he showed a good step and some power to score an individual try vs Tigers I think it was. A few of us noted that at the time and wanted him to get more of a go.

Having said that- I don't necessarily think we should have kept him over Guler or Hors if one had to go.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I got the impression it wasn't about playing ability.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins

Post by Cranky Old Man »

zim wrote: September 25, 2019, 8:35 pm I got the impression it wasn't about playing ability.
Me too.
Conor
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Conor »

I thought it was because Wayne Bennett gave him a call and offered him an opportunity and we were happy enough to say good luck to you?

Pretty sure Pigman has talked before about the importance of not standing in the way of players taking opportunities at other clubs, as it doesn’t reflect well on the club to be jerks about it.

As has been noted, we had Guler and Horsburgh coming through, plus Lui on the books, Sutton on the way - the club did the right thing in letting a fringe middle go as it was in his best interests and it wasn’t really any skin off our nose.
Last edited by Conor on September 25, 2019, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Talked to him one day at an open training or Fan Day or some such thing, seemed like a nice guy. Happy to chat.
Conor
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Conor »

I don’t think Knight makes our best 17 as it stands anyway.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I saw in the DT today that Hook picks Souths by 2 points. One of his reasons was that Canbreaa don't have enough big game experience. So I had a look at the highest honours for each player in the two teams. Hopefully the formatting isn't impossible:

Adam Doueihi 1. Charnze Nicholl-Klokstad Lebanon/Cook Islands
Alex Johnston 2. Nick Cotric Australia/NSW
James Roberts 3. Jarrod Croker © NSW/Country
Dane Gagai 4. Joseph Leilua Australia/Samoa
Campbell Graham 5. Jordan Rapana -/New Zealand
Cody Walker 6. Jack Wighton NSW/NSW
Adam Reynolds 7. Aidan Sezer NSW/City
Thomas Burgess 8. Josh Papalii England/Australia
Damien Cook 9. Josh Hodgson © Australia/England
Liam Knight 10. Sia Soliola -/New Zealand
John Sutton 11. John Bateman City/England
Sam Burgess © 12. Elliott Whitehead England/England
Cameron Murray 13. Joseph Tapine NSW/New Zealand

Interchange
George Burgess 14. Bailey Simonsson England/-
Tevita Tatola 15. Emre Guler Tonga/-
Ethan Lowe 16. Corey Horsbough Queensland/ -
Mark Nicholls 17. Dunamis Lui -/Samoa

Extended Bench
Jaydn Su’A 18. Sam Williams Samoa/-
Corey Allan 19. Ryan Sutton -/ -
Dean Britt 20. Siliva Havili -/Tonga
Mawene Hiroti 21. Sebastian Kris -/-

It's not that different.Souths may win the interchange but we might have a slight edge in the first 13. I just get the impression that our full pack of internationals gets a bit disregarded in all the Burgess love.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lui_Bon wrote: September 25, 2019, 11:10 pm I saw in the DT today that Hook picks Souths by 2 points. One of his reasons was that Canbreaa don't have enough big game experience. So I had a look at the highest honours for each player in the two teams. Hopefully the formatting isn't impossible:

James Roberts 3. Jarrod Croker © NSW/Country
Damien Cook 9. Josh Hodgson © Australia/England
Sam Burgess © 12. Elliott Whitehead England/England

Interchange

Extended Bench

It's not that different.Souths may win the interchange but we might have a slight edge in the first 13. I just get the impression that our full pack of internationals gets a bit disregarded in all the Burgess love.
How does it look when you compare on NRL Grand Final experience? Or at least NRL or Super League Grand Final experience?
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

greeneyed wrote:
Lui_Bon wrote: September 25, 2019, 11:10 pm I saw in the DT today that Hook picks Souths by 2 points. One of his reasons was that Canbreaa don't have enough big game experience. So I had a look at the highest honours for each player in the two teams. Hopefully the formatting isn't impossible:

James Roberts 3. Jarrod Croker Image NSW/Country
Damien Cook 9. Josh Hodgson Image Australia/England
Sam Burgess Image 12. Elliott Whitehead England/England

Interchange

Extended Bench

How does it look when you compare on NRL Grand Final experience? Or at least NRL or Super League Grand Final experience?
Yeah, a lot of these players were involved in a bunnies premiership and that is a different kind of pressure to origin or international honours.

The build up to a grand final and how players manage it is absolutely critical to how they perform on the day and it does make a difference having been there before.

A lot of our players have been to a prelim though and so I don’t think it will be as big a factor this week as it will be if we win this week.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

I'll have a look at Grand Final and Preliminary Final experience (highest or most recent experience mentioned):

1. Doueihi = nil // Nicholl-Klokstad = nil
2. Johnston = GF (2014) // Cotric = nil
3. Roberts = nil // Croker = 2016 Prelim
4. Gagai = 2018 Prelim // Leilua = 2016 Prelim
5. Graham = 2018 Prelim // Rapana = 2016 Prelim
6. Walker = 2018 Prelim // Wighton = 2016 Prelim
7. Reynolds = 2014 GF // Sezer = 2016 Prelim
8. Burgess = 2014 GF // Papalii = 2016 Prelim
9. Cook = 2018 Prelim // Hodgson = 2016 Prelim
10. Knight = nil // Soliola = 2014 SL GF and 2016 Prelim
11. Sutton = 2014 GF // Bateman = 2018 SL GF
12. Burgess = 2014 GF // Whitehead = 2016 Prelim
13. Murray = 2018 Prelim // Tapine = 2016 Prelim

Interchange
14. Burgess = 2014 GF // Simonsson = nil
15. Tatola = 2018 Prelim // Guler = nil
16. Lowe = 2015 GF // Horsbough = nil
17. Nicholls = nil // Lui = nil

Extended Bench

20./19. Britt = 2018 Prelim // Sutton = 2018 SL GF (in my opinion, the only two with a chance of playing)

Based on the above, Souths have a slight edge in the starting team (4 v 2), with 5 of their players involved in the 2014 Premiership-winning side. South's loss in last year's Preliminary Final is equally weighted with our loss in 2016, which evens the teams out quite considerably. South's bench is more hardened, though (3 v 0). Interesting to note is the spines for both sides are pretty even (Souths 1 v 0). Reynolds didn't show much of his big game experience in his defensive game last week, though (hopefully he continues with this tomorrow).

Despite all of the above, our players will be creating their own experience simply by playing in the game.By rising to the challenge, we will see which players can handle "big games". I'm thinking Stuart will have the side pretty well prepared. Remember, too, that for each inexperienced player in our line up, they have been mentored by, and will play alongside, somebody who has experienced the occasion before. I'm sure this will help to keep players calm during the game.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Thanks.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins

Post by Cranky Old Man »

BJ played in a grandfinal with the chooks back in the day.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

I think/hope the final series in 2016 serves as a reminder to the guys. Most of our current squad played in that series. Granted Hodgson was injured in the Sharks game, but even then - our forwards were dominated by Matt Prior (!). There is no doubt in my mind there was a hint of complacency in the side that it would just happen for us with the big crowd (the Sharks were coming off a final round thrashing at the hands of Melbourne, and we had just smashed the Tigers). Some of our defence in that game was not up to finals standard. We need to make sure our line speed and contact is first class and bully Souths out of the game with physicality, bring the crowd into the game with intensity, particularly in the first 20-25 minutes. I genuinely believe Souths are playing battered - make the game as uncomfortable as possible for them. In attack that means patience and repeat sets with built pressure. Have them coming out of their own corner and batter them when they do, take advantage of their smaller back 3. This should put more pressure on their forwards, forcing Reynolds to kick deeper in his half (we should focus pressure on Reynolds rather than Walker on last tackle, as Walker's kicking game is average).

If we start slow and let them get momentum, we will be in big trouble.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

TongueFTW wrote: September 26, 2019, 10:08 am I think/hope the final series in 2016 serves as a reminder to the guys. Most of our current squad played in that series. Granted Hodgson was injured in the Sharks game, but even then - our forwards were dominated by Matt Prior (!). There is no doubt in my mind there was a hint of complacency in the side that it would just happen for us with the big crowd (the Sharks were coming off a final round thrashing at the hands of Melbourne, and we had just smashed the Tigers). Some of our defence in that game was not up to finals standard. We need to make sure our line speed and contact is first class and bully Souths out of the game with physicality, bring the crowd into the game with intensity, particularly in the first 20-25 minutes. I genuinely believe Souths are playing battered - make the game as uncomfortable as possible for them. In attack that means patience and repeat sets with built pressure. Have them coming out of their own corner and batter them when they do, take advantage of their smaller back 3. This should put more pressure on their forwards, forcing Reynolds to kick deeper in his half (we should focus pressure on Reynolds rather than Walker on last tackle, as Walker's kicking game is average).

If we start slow and let them get momentum, we will be in big trouble.
Well said mate
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

Cranky Old Man wrote: September 26, 2019, 9:47 am BJ played in a grandfinal with the chooks back in the day.
Very true. I wasn't looking that far back, but I'm sure the memory of 2010 should help Leilua over Gagai. That being said, Souths are 4 v 3 in the starting 13. Furthermore, by swapping Papalii and Soliola (ie. Soliola v Burgess and Papalii v Knight), we actually go to 3 v 3, so some tactical tweaking sees us evenly matched. Realistically, however, both teams have suffered a Prelim loss in recent years and updated their rosters to include some better players. The big edge for Souths is the 6 players remaining from the 2014 Premiership side. Nullifying that to some extent is our all-international (Big 3 nations) forward pack.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

2019 Grand Final Matt’s Match-ups: Raiders V Roosters

Roosters V Raiders

James Tedesco 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
Daniel Tupou 2. Nick Cotric
Latrell Mitchell 3. Jarrod Croker ©
Joseph Manu 4. Joseph Leilua
Brett Morris 5. Jordan Rapana
Luke Keary 6. Jack Wighton
Cooper Cronk 7. Aidan Sezer
Jared Waerea-Hargreaves 8. Josh Papalii
Sam Verrills 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Issac Liu 10. Sia Soliola
Boyd Cordner © 11. John Bateman
Mitch Aubusson 12. Elliott Whitehead
Victor Radley 13. Joseph Tapine

Interchange
Angus Crichton 14. Bailey Simonsson
Zane Tetevano 15. Emre Guler
Nat Butcher 16. Corey Horsbough
Sio Siua Taukeiaho 17. Dunamis Lui

Extended Bench
Lindsay Collins 18. Sam Williams
Drew Hutchinson 19. Ryan Sutton
Jake Friend 20. Siliva Havili
Ryan Hall 21. Sebastian Kris

#- Skins altered to pair like skins.
(Bolded players are the winners of the skin. The extended bench is excluded.)

Match-ups:

Fullbacks:
Charnze Nicholl-Klokstad is in a head to head race with teammate John Bateman for the NRL buy of the year for 2019. James Tedesco is possibly the best player in the NRL this year.

Wingers:
Nick Cotric hasn’t had a great year and is up against one of the more consistent wingers in the competition in Daniel Tupou. Tupou’s offload in traffic last week, while contentious, was a magic play. Tupou averages 171m a game, has scored 15 tries and has five try assists in 2019. These numbers are far superior to Cotric’s.

Jordan Rapana and Brett Morris have very similar raw numbers. Both have seven tries, both average 120m a game, while it is three try assists to one for Morris. However, Morris has done it in seven less games. In the finals series Morris has 310m to Rapana’s 202m. This is enough to win this skin.

Centres:
You could form a pretty good argument to say that this Grand Final will have the four best centres in the NRL on show; Jarrod Croker and Joseph Leilua for the Raiders and Latrell Mitchell and Joseph Manu for the Roosters.

During the finals series, the No. 3's have been statistically similar. Neither are kicking for goal well, with Croker at 50 per cent and Mitchell at 54.5 per cent. Croker has produced more metres gained - 179 to Mitchell’s 131. Mitchell’s defence is far more reliable, with 100 per cent tackle efficiency, but Croker has laid on some hits in recent weeks. Here is an interesting statistic... Mitchell’s average play the ball during the finals is a slow 4.79 seconds, while Croker’s speed is a good 3.67 seconds. This is really close. But this isn’t a numbers game, it's not a talent game, it’s about form. So I’m going to shave it to Croker, after an inspirational performance in the Preliminary Final.

The No 4's are clearer cut. Joseph Leilua has had a bizarre finals series, with injury and glimpses of magic. Joseph Manu has regained the same sort of form he showed in last year’s finals series. He had a massive game against the Rabbitohs in week one of the finals, with a try and 130m. He had a try called back last week against the Storm. Manu gets my vote here.

Halves:
In Week 1 of the finals, Luke Keary had three line break assists and two try assists. He delivered only one try assist in the Preliminary Final. However, he will be remembered for the hair pull on Felise Kaufusi. Jack Wighton was good in Week 1 of the finals, producing 103m and a try assist. However, had a massive game in the Preliminary Final. His defence wasn’t just reliable, it was punishing. He also made a massive break, picking up a loose ball, turning repeat sets on his line into a great attacking opportunity. However, that wasn’t the best of it. Wighton made the critical play of the game. It was an individual effort, a play what you see moment. He took the loose ball, saw the space, kicked to the corner - fortunately getting a foot to it - and chased hard to put it down. Then, to cap it all off, he stood in front of ‘the Burrow’ - for the night - arms aloft, victory stance. BOOM! That performance edges the skin his way.

Aidan Sezer and Cooper Cronk are both tasked with directing traffic and organizing, while allowing their halves partners to flourish. This means statistically they are very hard to judge. Defensively Sezer edges Cronk for tackle efficiency. Cronk has far more kicking metres and ultimately, more influence on the game.

Prop:
Jared Waerea-Hargreaves is a very good player, exceptionally influential for the Roosters. But even ignoring the fact he was suspended last week, he faces Josh Papalii, who is the best prop in the world right now. This is going to be one of the defining match-ups of the Grand Final.

Sia Soliola and Isaac Liu have almost identical stats for the year. Both have two tries, and average 97m and a bit over 25 tackles a game. However, Liu has the edge in the finals, with 231m and 53 tackles to Soliola’s 142m and 67 tackles.

Dunamis Lui continues to be solid, but has a bad error in him. Meanwhile, Sio Siua Taukeiaho has been a beast in 2019 - averaging 146m and 24 tackles a game. This is a no contest, even with Taukeiaho having a few injuries issues this year.

Corey Horsburgh has amassed 165m and 62 tackles in the finals. He has been very impressive as a rookie forward. However, Nat Butcher has been a surprise packet this season. He is doing a great job for the Roosters, making good matres and raking up tackles. He is playing the same bench role Ryan Matterson played last year. He has delivered 185m and 62 tackles in the finals. Over the rest of the year, Butcher averaged 96m and 31 tackles and has produced three tries and two assists. Horseburgh averaged 100m and 23 tackles with no points related statistics. Its close, but I’m calling it Butcher’s way.

Emre Guler has looked solid in his two finals outings, but he isn’t getting big minutes. Zane Tetevano has also been getting the short minutes for the Roosters, but statistically he is still far out performing Guler.

Hooker/utility:
Josh Hodgson is the form hooker of the competition, and the last of the ‘big three’ left in the competition. Sam Verrills looks a capable youngster, but has a long way to go, and co-captain Jake Friend is lurking on the extended bench.

Angus Crichton was supposed to be the marquee purchase for the Roosters this season. He under-performed during the start of the year and lost his starting spot. However, in the second half of the year he has come off the bench and provided the impact the Roosters hoped he would. During the finals he has posted 224m and 59 tackles. Bailey Simonsson had to replace Leilua in both finals games, posting 182m and a try in Week 1 - and last week, managed to make 31m in short minutes and dived on the ball to win the game. It is tough to compare a forward and a back, but given his influence on his team's results, I’ll go with Simonsson in this one.

Backrow:
John Bateman likely had his worst game of the year last week. That bodes well for the Grand Final, as he has got that one out of the way. He is still the best backrower in the NRL. Boyd Cordner might be the Roosters, NSW and Australian captain, but that isn’t good enough.

Mitch Aubusson is an under rated player who the Roosters have underutilized for years. He has finally earned a regular start in his preferred edge role. Elliott Whitehead, however, is amazing. The amount of work he gets through on a weekly basis is phenomenal. No contest.

Victor Radley has made 193m and 53 tackles in two weeks of the finals. Joseph Tapine has 105m and 65 tackles, including one game winning hit. Both have been good during the finals. Tapine has produced a couple of game defining plays with defence, but Radley certainly isn’t left behind in that department. I'll tip it the way of Radley.

Result
The tally is Roosters 10 and Raiders 7. This seems about right given that the Roosters are favorites. This is a Grand Final, so it is no surprise that there are a few very tight skins - and you could argue them either way. The Roosters were tipped to go back to back this year, making this match theirs to lose. There is now no pressure on the Raiders, After looking a little tense with ball in hand last week, there is now not pressure on the Raiders. There have been plenty of similarities to 1989, so far for Canberra. Could it be the repeat fairy tale? Raiders to steal it with a couple of minutes on the clock (by 1-6).

Plus follow The Greenhouse on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I think you're doing a great job Matt..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote: October 2, 2019, 12:14 pm I think you're doing a great job Matt..
PJ, that's mean!
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

One of your best for the GF Matt :clap:

I found the centres comparison the highlight. Interesting how Toots stacks up to the highly rated Latrell during this years finals. Latrell has another gear which we all know about but he's also an error maker imo and his next gear is more than matched by Joey at his best.

Speaking of whom, it feels a bit like the club is riding Joey Leilua's weird, wild wave right now. He has had major spinal surgery, a dumb suspension, a firecracker in the eye before kick off, hardly a chance to work his way back, a mystery calf ailment;
and before all that -early season- he was putting together one of his most consistent and disciplined seasons in Green, a different kind of chapter to put alongside his blockbuster, cavalier 2016.

I still get the feeling he's our key to breaking down finals standard defences. I have this weird feeling about Joey in the GF... He'll either win it for us or his calf will explode.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Yeah the centre match up is a keen contest Normally it would be Mitchell over Croker but recent form is the reverse. Same goes on the other side as BJ would normally have it over Manu. Interesting that the centre position is one where the status has dropped in modern times yet the 2 teams facing off in the decider easily have the best centre pairings in the NRL.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

Thanks for doing these all year Matt, I’ve enjoyed reading them.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Finite wrote: October 2, 2019, 6:19 pm Thanks for doing these all year Matt, I’ve enjoyed reading them.
Cheers