Papalii, Jack Wighton and Nick Cotric surge into Kangaroos frame: Meninga

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Papalii, Jack Wighton and Nick Cotric surge into Kangaroos frame: Meninga

Post by greeneyed »

Papalii, Wighton and Cotric surge into Kangaroos frame: Meninga

Australian coach Mal Meninga says three Canberra Raiders - Josh Papalii, Jack Wighton and Nick Cotric - are amongst those involved at the business end of the season who have put themselves in the frame for Kangaroos selection.

"Josh has come of age really this year. Through his experiences in the rep arena, his maturity has risen and he's become the leader of the Canberra pack. He has pushed out the same good minutes at prop that he used to playing lock," Meninga said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/21/kea ... oos-frame/
Azza
Laurie Daley

Re: Papalii, Jack Wighton and Nick Cotric surge into Kangaroos frame: Meninga

Post by Azza »

Good on them but I think Cotric is a bit of a stretch at this point...IMHO. Plenty of talent, just not been at his best recently with a stop start end to the season.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Paps should be first pick, Wighton makes a lot of sense, I’d say there is a long list of players ahead of Cotric!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

If soft hands isn't a walk up start #13 is having a lend.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Can't see Nico getting in atm. Papalii is a walk up start, Jack might be able to jag a bench spot.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Even though the options for the Kangaroos pack are many, Papa will walk into the side. At all levels he has played this year he has been outstanding. I expect Klemmer and Papa to be the starting props with Vaughan on the bench and the likes of Jurbo and Finucane to round out the middle three spots. Kaufusi and Cordner in the back row with Murray from Souths there abouts along with Frizell. Cook at hooker.

The loss of Turbo will open up some opportunities. I expect the Fox and Fergo as the wingers with Teddy at FB. Jack, Nic, Mitchell and Chambers will get first option in the centres. I reckon Keary will have one of the halves spots with DCE and Munster battling out who plays with him. Cleary also in the mix.

I am biased but I reckon HorsPOWER is a genuine option for the U/23s pack.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

U23s?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: September 22, 2019, 7:16 amU23s?
GE, Mal is preparing an Australian U/23s side to take on France in a 3 game series post the Grand Final. It was published in the Daily Telegraph on Sept 10, 2019 and picked up by Sports News the same day, which is where I read it.

"Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga has revealed plans for an exciting new under 23 concept that he believes will bolster the international game.

Meninga is preparing to assemble a Kangaroos squad consisting of the NRL's hottest young talent to partake in a three-game series at the end of the season against France... Meninga has revealed WIN Stadium as the venue to host the event in late October, following the conclusion of the season, and suggests it could include the Jillaroos."

He goes on to say it is an Australia A concept to blood the next generation of Kangaroos. While it starts against France he includes Pacific nations in the future of the concept.