Rugby League 2019

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Rugby League 2019

Post by Northern Raider »

V'landys is not a guy to sit back and wait to see what happens. If we don't see much activity from him then we know the ARLC Chairman is little more than an honorary position.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Yep anyone that follows racing knows what a tremendous job he has done.

I’m sure he has done his due diligence and understands the scope of the role.

He is not looking for a holiday, he has found another seriously big challenge to tackle. I just hope he understands the game of Rugby League, because if you combine his skill set with a good vision, you’re looking at a significant improvement in the state of the sport.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I don't want to start a thread, and I don't want to be controversial. But i was watching the Matt Johns Podcast earlier tonight - anyone else think that EDIT.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Lui_Bon wrote:I don't want to start a thread, and I don't want to be controversial. But i was watching the Matt Johns Podcast earlier tonight - anyone else think that EDIT.
Hahaha you were on the sauce last night, weren’t you? Edits everywhere!
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

I assume the edits are being made in reference to Brett Finch.

Something seriously wrong with the bloke, I saw him a couple of weeks back at the Eels Manly game and he was EDIT.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha what the hell is going on here??
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Remember when his name used to automatically revert to scum bag.... now we can’t even mention what he’s doing with a bag
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Please remember... you can’t make statements regarding public figures that might be considered defamatory.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Exactly, greeneyed! Instead, there's a thread on r/nrl where you can speculate on it.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

reptar wrote:Exactly, greeneyed! Instead, there's a thread on r/nrl where you can speculate on it.
I’m not responsible for the standards of reddit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

greeneyed wrote:
reptar wrote:Exactly, greeneyed! Instead, there's a thread on r/nrl where you can speculate on it.

Not at all. :) can't be sued for that!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Rugby League 2019

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:

And it’s a bloody travesty
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Shane Flanagan statement

The National Rugby League (NRL) has advised Shane Flanagan he will be eligible for registration in the NRL as an assistant coach for the 2020 and 2021 seasons.

Mr Flanagan’s eligibility for registration will commence from 18 December, 2019.

Mr Flanagan’s registration is contingent on he and any future employer complying with a range of conditions set by the NRL.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg today met with Mr Flanagan and advised him of the decision.

Mr Greenberg said the NRL had created a path for Mr Flanagan to return to coaching.

“I have spoken to Shane at length and he has expressed significant remorse andaccepted responsibility for his past actions and the detrimental impact they have had on the game,’’ he said.

“We have created a pathway for Shane to return to the coaching ranks. Today’s decision gives Shane an opportunity to be registered in the NRL.

“This is not a set and forget approach. Shane and any future club who employs him has numerous conditions which they must comply with and the Integrity Unit will continue to monitor his conduct over the next two seasons.”

Mr Flanagan said he was pleased to have the opportunity to seek registration and would consider his options over the coming months.

“Today I met with the NRL and I both respect and accept the course of action they have taken,’’ he said.

“I look forward to returning to the coaching ranks, firstly as an assistant coach and hopefully one day a head coach again.”

Mr Flanagan has been told the NRL will give no consideration to expediting his return to a head coaching role beyond today’s decision.

NRL media release
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Shane Flanagan was the head coach in charge of a club with a systematic program of drug cheating and was involved in salary cap cheating. He broke the terms of suspension from the NRL twice. Why on earth is this bloke being permitted to ever be involved in the NRL again?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Because this is the NRL mate.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I mean surely he has demonstrated he's not a fit and proper person to be involved in the code...
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Shouldn't be allowed back.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I get that they let Laurie Daley back in the NRL after he did the Jacko’s Pizza advert, but Flanagan may even have a worse case to answer???
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

This absolutely stinks.

Not only did he knowingly break the drug use rules, but broke the terms of his suspension for that while also organising salary cap breaches.

The only thing I can think of to make his complete disregard for the game worse is to actually EDIT on the doorstep of NRL HQ.

Absolute pig who should be a long way from our sport.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Talk today of Israel Folau playing for Tonga.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RLIF likely to block Folau's rugby league return for Tonga

Israel Folau is attempting to return to rugby league at the end of the year to represent Tonga in Tests against Great Britain and the Kangaroos.

However, it is understood there will be a strong push by members of the board of the Rugby League International Federation to veto the move at an upcoming meeting.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/23/isr ... ith-tonga/
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

The Rickman wrote: September 19, 2019, 6:52 am
Lui_Bon wrote:I don't want to start a thread, and I don't want to be controversial. But i was watching the Matt Johns Podcast earlier tonight - anyone else think that EDIT.
Hahaha you were on the sauce last night, weren’t you? Edits everywhere!
I'm on the sauce every night. It appears that my EDITs were probably on the mark though... I've been watching closely and there are some telltale signs. Of what, I'm not sayin'.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

StHelens defeated Salford in the ESL GF a few hours ago !
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

International Rugby League is the new name for the RLIF

The Board of the Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) has announced that it has officially changed its name to International Rugby League (IRL). The membership has endorsed the name change and it is officially adopted from today (October 15th, 2019).

Read more: http://www.rlif.com/article/8757/intern ... r-the-rlif
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: October 18, 2019, 11:15 am International Rugby League is the new name for the RLIF

The Board of the Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) has announced that it has officially changed its name to International Rugby League (IRL). The membership has endorsed the name change and it is officially adopted from today (October 15th, 2019).

Read more: http://www.rlif.com/article/8757/intern ... r-the-rlif
Well..

If you rule out the birth of my son..I can't remember a prouder moment.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NSWRL and CRL merge

NSW Rugby League members today (18 October) voted unanimously to approve a new constitution in a landmark move that will see Rugby League in NSW governed by one body for the first time in more than 80 years.

The decision was also supported by Country Rugby League (CRL) members who earlier voted to wind up the organisation’s operations, effective immediately.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/18/nrl ... l-and-crl/
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

That is huge news. Should hopefully finally remove a lot of the needless red tape and duplication that exists between the two
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sonny Bill Williams offered $9 million for two years to return to rugby league to join Toronto Wolfpack

The Toronto Wolfpack is reportedly ready to spend $9 million over two years to lure Sonny Bill Williams back to rugby league.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... cb4ebbe910
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Biggest issue in NRL is referees: V'landys

New ARLC chairman Peter V'landys has given a no-holds-barred assessment of referees on his second day in office, declaring it the biggest issue facing the NRL.

"We need to fix our systems and do whatever we can so that the fan walks away happy and content that he's had a fair crack, and not walk away thinking that he's been ripped off."

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/biggest-is ... 3146dcb938

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14274

Sydney and Queensland NRL clubs are secure: V'landys

New ARLC chairman Peter V'landys has promised every NRL club in Sydney and Queensland is safe and none will be relocated as the board considers possible expansion.

"If we pursue with the expansion it will be a new franchise and I can tell you that every brand in Sydney and Queensland is secure. We are not looking to relocate anyone and we'll stress that.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/no-nrl-clu ... 1df06b776b

New ARLC chair Peter V'landys slams door on Folau, again

On his second day as ARLC chairman, Peter V'landys made a powerful statement on inclusiveness in rugby league by slamming the door on Israel Folau, again.

"The game is inclusive. Israel's comments are not inclusive," V'landys said.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/v-landys-s ... 85eb13a7e7

V'landys to focus on referees revamp in new role: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/31/vla ... -new-role/

VIDEO: V’landys' big ticket items as ARL Chairman: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/31/vla ... -chairman/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Better than Beattie's first couple of days.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

3/3 from V'landys here, well done!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

top shelf operator v'landys

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The only thing that worried me is he'll want to change too many rules so as to "innovate".
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Not one bit of surprise here, he is a weapon.

I strongly hope he stays with racing NSW as well - 2 of my biggest passions are Racing and Rugby League and he has proven himself time and time again.

You’re right GE, he is an innovator.

Which is why I think his understanding of Rugby League as a game is absolutely crucial.

In racing he has improved programming, carnivals, prizemoney, betting deals, welfare etc .. all leading to stronger participation and a better product overall.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

yeh raiders wrote: October 31, 2019, 10:08 pm Not one bit of surprise here, he is a weapon.

I strongly hope he stays with racing NSW as well - 2 of my biggest passions are Racing and Rugby League and he has proven himself time and time again.

You’re right GE, he is an innovator.

Which is why I think his understanding of Rugby League as a game is absolutely crucial.

In racing he has improved programming, carnivals, prizemoney, betting deals, welfare etc .. all leading to stronger participation and a better product overall.
That sounds great, not sure it requires massive tinkering with the rules, which is where he’s looking to innovate.