2019 Canberra Raiders Jersey Flegg

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Canberra Raiders Jersey Flegg

Post by greeneyed »

2019 Jersey Flegg Finals Week 1: Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks
Campbelltown Stadium
Saturday 7 September 2:45pm
On line radio: www.steelesports.com.au

Canberra Raiders

1. Manase Kaho
2. Semi Valemei
3. Gideon Afemui
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Jackson Stuart
6. Joe Roberts
7. Tobias Westcott
8. Tyson Hodge
9. Kyle Paterson
10. Thomas Robertson
11. Jordan Martin
12. Kai O'Donnell
13. Darby Medlyn

14. Ata Mariota
15. Lazarus Vaalepu
16. Duwanye Mariner
17. Silafono Titiuti

Cronulla Sharks

1. Jonaiah Lualua
2. Jonah Ngaronoa
3. Jensen Taumoepeau
4. Vito Tevaga
5. Josh Delailoa
6. Kai Broadhurst
7. Angus Ernst
8. Thomas Hazelton
9. Lachlan Scarpelli
10. Monty Raper ©
11. Tom Caughlan
12. Jack Boyling
13. Fine Kula

14. Connor Luhan
15. Franklin Pele
16. Jackson Stewart
17. Isaac Longmuir

18. Cooper Bowen
19. Lorenzo Mulitalo
20. Zane Elsley

Preview

Last week: The Canberra Raiders secured a top four finish with a 28-26 victory over the St George Illawarra Dragons at Shellharbour. Both teams scored three tries in the first half, with hooker Kyle Patterson, winger Semi Valemi and centre Matt Timoko crossing for the Green Machine. Canberra took a 18-14 lead to the break, with goal kicking proving the difference.

The Dragons took a 20-18 lead early in the second half, after a try to fullback Cody Ramsey. But the Raiders kicked away again after the Raiders scored two four pointers in the space of three minutes - to bench forward Lazarus Vaalepu and centre Gideon Afemui. A late try to the Dragons, a second for Ramsey, proved not to be enough, with the home team falling short by two points.

This week: The victory on Saturday meant that the Green Machine finished in fourth place, and now face the formidable task of meeting the minor premiers, the Cronulla Sharks, in Week 1 of the finals.

The Sharks have lost just five matches this season, but the Raiders are only three competition points adrift of Cronulla. The Sharks were in the top two teams on the ladder in every round but one, Round 1 - and led the competition for the bulk of the season. Canberra was second only to the Panthers in attack this season, while the Sharks finished eighth on this score. However no team conceded fewer points than the Sharks in 2019, while the Raiders ranked fifth in defence.

The Sharks have dropped some games towards the end of the season, losing to the Dragons three weeks ago (38-18) and losing back to back to back in Rounds 18-19 - to the Warriors (16-12) and Bulldogs (12-10). They also drew with the Rabbitohs (20-20) in Round 20.

The Raiders had a small "slump", losing four in a row between Round 12 and 15. However, during that period, Canberra put on a very good performance against the Sharks in Round 14 at West Belconnen, losing by just a point (25-24). In the Raiders' past eight games, they have lost just once - to the Roosters four weeks ago.

Season record: Raiders 12 and 6, 2 draws (4th, +200)
Sharks 14 and 5, 1 draw (1st, +169)

Form: Raiders: WLWWW
Dragons: DWLWW

Attacking record: Raiders 29, Sharks 23 points scored per match
Defensive record: Raiders 19, Sharks 15 points conceded per match

Raiders record away: 7 and 2
Sharks record away: 7 and 2

Recent meeting: 2019 Round 14 - Cronulla Sharks 25 defeated Canberra Raiders 24 at Kippax

Raiders team changes: The Raiders have named the same team that took to the field last week against the Dragons.

Our tip: It is obviously going to be a big task for the Raiders to knock off the minor premiers - but their performance against the Sharks earlier this year proved that they can compete against the best. In addition, the Sharks have looked just a little vulnerable at times. The Raiders love playing away, and with this game played at a neutral ground, I'm going to tip the Green Machine to cause the upset in this one - and head to a Preliminary Final.

Jersey Flegg Round 24 team statistics: https://www.nswrl.com.au/draw/jersey-fl ... v-raiders/

Jersey Flegg Round 24 highlights: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2019/09/0 ... p---rd-24/
(1:45 min mark)

Plus follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

What a great day of footy coming up! Will be making the trek up for this one and the Mounties game.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Ronny P wrote: September 2, 2019, 5:56 pm What a great day of footy coming up! Will be making the trek up for this one and the Mounties game.

Bring your boots Ronny. You might get a game for Mounties!!
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Haha. Maybe 30 years ago!

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jersey Flegg Preview: Raiders v Sharks

The Canberra Raiders Jersey Flegg side will start their finals campaign this Saturday when they face the top of the table Cronulla Sharks at Campbelltown Stadium.

“They are really excited, for a lot of these kids this is the longest season they’ve been a part of, it’s a really good reward for them and the effort they have put in,” coach Ash Barnes said.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/09 ... -v-sharks/
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of today's Jersey Flegg finals clash between the Canberra Raiders and Cronulla Sharks. This match is broadcast via on line radio at www.steelesports.com.au. Kick off is at 2:45pm. This post will update with live scores so refresh for the latest. Final team line ups:

Canberra Raiders

1. Manase Kaho
2. Semi Valemei
3. Gideon Afemui
4. Jordan Martin
5. Jackson Stuart
6. Joe Roberts
7. Tobias Westcott
8. Tyson Hodge
9. Kyle Paterson
10. Silafano Titiuti
11. Darby Medlyn
12. Kai O'Donnell
13. Tom Robertson

14. Ata Mariota
15. Lazarus Vaalepu
16. Duwanye Mariner
17. Matthew Dragisic

Cronulla Sharks

1. Jonaiah Lualua
2. Jonah Ngaronoa
3. Jensen Taumoepeau
4. Vito Tevaga
5. Josh Delailoa
18. Cooper Brown
7. Angus Ernst
8. Thomas Hazelton
9. Lachlan Scarpelli
10. Monty Raper ©
11. Tom Caughlan
12. Jack Boyling
13. Fine Kula

14. Connor Luhan
15. Franklin Pele
16. Jackson Stewart
17. Isaac Longmuir

Canberra Raiders 19

Tries
Kyle Paterson 32'
Gideon Afemui 39'
Manase Kaho 42'

Goals
Tobias Westcott 33'
Tobias Westcott 40'
Tobias Westcott 44'

Field goals
Tobias Westcott 72'

Cronulla Sharks 18

Tries
Jonaiah Lualua 8'
Josh Delailoa 24'
Josh Delailoa 60'
Josh Delailoa 65'

Goals
Jonaiah Lualua 67'

HALF TIME

Cronulla Sharks 8 led Canberra Raiders 6
Last edited by The Greenhouse on September 7, 2019, 4:28 pm, edited 10 times in total.
The Greenhouse score update service
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I don’t think you can record the Steele Sports call. Tried to get it on tune in radio but doesn’t seem to be there. Was hoping to record the call to listen later. Will be focussed on First grade at the time.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

HALF TIME

Cronulla Sharks 8 lead Canberra Raiders 6
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

We’re in extra time in Jersey Flegg.

Canberra Raiders 18
Cronulla Sharks 18
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

FULL TIME

Canberra Raiders 19 defeated Cronulla Sharks 18

The Raiders beat the No. 1 team and head to the Preliminary Final! Outstanding!
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Westcott outstanding! Great defensive effort from the boys. Well done to coaching staff and all players

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Great result :thumbsup
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Jersey Flegg Preliminary Final v Roosters at the very unusual time of 7.15pm Saturday night at Kogarah.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That’s a ridiculous time.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

I will be heading up for this. I hope a few make the effort also. I know i keep banging on about it but these boys can play. If they turn up and play disciplined footy they win the comp. Our retention committee need to clean out Mounties and push as many of these boys through as they can. Cant wait for this one although wont be getting back to the ACT until late! Go the Raiders!

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Ronny P wrote:I will be heading up for this. I hope a few make the effort also. I know i keep banging on about it but these boys can play. If they turn up and play disciplined footy they win the comp. Our retention committee need to clean out Mounties and push as many of these boys through as they can. Cant wait for this one although wont be getting back to the ACT until late! Go the Raiders!

I've appreciated the updates this year - thanks!

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

No dramas! These boys deserve as much exposure as they can get.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

2019 Jersey Flegg Preliminary Final: Canberra Raiders V Sydney Roosters

Canberra Raiders V Sydney Roosters
Kogarah Jubilee Stadium
Saturday 21 September 7:15pm
On line radio: www.steelesports.com.au

Canberra Raiders

1. Manase Kaho
2. Semi Valemei
3. Harley Smith-Shields
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Gideon Afemui
6. Joe Roberts
7. Tobias Westcott
8. Tyson Hodge
9. Kyle Paterson
10. Silafono Titiuti
11. Darby Medlyn
12. Kai O'Donnell
13. Thomas Robertson

14. Jordan Martin
15. Lazarus Vaalepu
16. Duwanye Mariner
17. Ata Mariota

18. Jackson Stuart
19. Matthew Dragisic
20. Jarrett Subloo

Sydney Roosters

1. McKenzie Baker
2. Tyrell Neiufi
3. Christian Tuipulotu
4. Ethan Quai-Ward
5. Craig McKenzie
6. Coby Thomas
7. Jake Hazard
14. Stanley Malae
13. Kobe Rugless
10. Daniel Fifita
11. Jake Kambos
9. Freddy Lussick
8. Luca Moretti

15. Lewis Afeaki
16. Benjamin Mau
17. Charles Savala
19. Malachi Retchford

Preview

Last match: The Canberra Raiders progressed to the Preliminary Final by defeating the minor premiers, the Cronulla Sharks, in week one of the finals. They did it in the most extraordinary fashion, forced into extra time by two late tries to Sharks winger Josh Delailoa - who scored a hat trick on the day. But in extra time, Raiders half Toby Westcott got the field goal in the 73rd minute - which secured the win for the Green Machine.

The Sharks went to an 8-0 lead after 25 minutes - but the Raiders fought back a few minutes before the break with a try to hooker Kyle Patterson. Canberra trailed 8-6 at half time, but two tries in the space of three minutes to centre Gideon Afemui and fullback Manase Kaho gave the Raiders an 18-8 lead with 25 minutes remaining. When the two teams met earlier in the year at Kippax, the Raiders staged a late comeback, only to fall short by a point, losing to Cronulla 25-24. It was the Sharks' turn to comeback in this match - but the Raiders took this one, 19-18.

This week: The Raiders now face the Sydney Roosters in the Preliminary Final, having had the benefit of a week's break. The Roosters finished second, but lost, 25-24, in extra time to the third placed Panthers in Finals Week 1. That sent them to a Week 2 finals clash with the Canterbury Bulldogs - and they only narrowly defeated the Dogs, 28-24, at Leichhardt Oval. The Roosters led 18-8 at half time, but conceded three tries in the second half. A try to Bulldogs five eighth Alex Seve with four minutes remaining sent the game into extra time. A four pointer to hooker Kobe Rugless in the 74th minute delivered victory for the Roosters.

The Roosters have lost just seven games all season. But they have now lost three of their past five - to top eight teams, the Sharks (24-16), Rabbitohs (23-12) and the Panthers. The Raiders had a small "slump", losing four in a row between Round 12 and 15. However, the Raiders have now lost just once in their past nine games - to the Roosters in Round 14. Only the Panthers finished the season with a better attacking record than the Raiders - while the Roosters ranked 10th. The relative strength of the Roosters has been their defence, ranking second, behind the Sharks, for least points conceded. The Raiders aren't far away however, ranking fifth.

Season record: Raiders 13 and 6, 2 draws (finished 4th, +201)
Roosters 14 and 7, 1 draw (finished 2nd, +136)

Form: Raiders: LWWWW
Roosters: WLLLW

Attacking record: Raiders 27, Roosters 23 points scored per match
Defensive record: Raiders 19, Roosters 17 points conceded per match

Raiders record away: 9 and 2
Roosters record away: 9 and 5

Recent meetings: 2019 Round 14 - Sydney Roosters 28 defeated Canberra Raiders 16 at Seiffert Oval
2019 Round 4 - Sydney Roosters 22 defeated Canberra Raiders 20 at Seiffert Oval

Raiders team changes: Harley Smith-Shields and Matthew Timoko return to the centres, after they were elevated to Mounties in Week 1 of the finals. Gideon Afemui moves to the wing, replacing Jackson Stuart, who drops to the extended bench. Jordan Martin moves back to the interchange bench. Ata Mariota comes into the top 17, with Matthew Dragisic dropping to the extended bench. Regular starting five eighth Jarrett Subloo, who has been injured, has been named in jersey No. 20.

Our tip: Due to a quirk in this year's draw, the Raiders hosted the Sydney Roosters twice this year - and lost both times. The first clash was a close match, with both teams scoring four tries. Only goal kicking proved to be the difference. The Roosters won more decisively in the second match. However, the Roosters' have had a tough recent run - and for some reason, the Raiders love playing away. With this game played at a neutral ground, I'm going to tip the Green Machine to get the win on Saturday night - and head to the Grand Final in the club's first year back in the competition.

Finals Week 1 team statistics: https://www.nswrl.com.au/draw/jersey-fl ... v-raiders/

Jersey Flegg Finals Week 1 highlights: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2019/09/1 ... ls-week-1/
(0:00 min mark)

Plus follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

What day is the team announced?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Tomorrow i think.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Tuesday.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Is that Team List Tuesday?
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

reptar wrote: September 16, 2019, 6:05 pm Is that Team List Tuesday?
Yes.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

greeneyed wrote:
Yes.
And I thought we weren't having one this week.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

reptar wrote: September 16, 2019, 9:38 pm
greeneyed wrote:
Yes.
And I thought we weren't having one this week.
Well we are. Tomorrow.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Might be challenging for the club, hope they've got a team to deal with this stuff.
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

Congratulations to Matthew Timoko on his selection in the Junior Kiwis U19 side!

Canberra Raiders centre Matt Timoko selected for Junior Kiwis

New Zealand Rugby League is pleased to announce the following players have been selected for the Junior Kiwis U19 team set to take on the Australian School Boys on September 29th in Queensland.

KAYAL IRO WARRIORS
TEMPLE KALEPO WARRIORS
ASU KEPAOA SYDNEY ROOSTERS
SPENCER LENIU PENRITH PANTHERS
ETU VINNY LUI PARRAMATTA EELS
CHRISTIAN MA’ANAIMA NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS
SIONE MOALA WARRIORS
GRIFFIN NEAME NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS
SELESTINO RAVUATAUMADA WARRIORS
JUNIOR PU’A WARRIORS
JORDAN RIKI BRISBANE BRONCOS
TYLER SLADE WARRIORS
VITO TEVAGA CRONULLA SHARKS
DANIEL TICEHURST NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS
MATTHEW TIMOKO CANBERRA RAIDERS
STARFORD TOA NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS
EMMANUEL TUIMAVAVE-GERRARD WARRIORS
PAUL TURNER WARRIORS
ISAIAH VAGANA WARRIORS

Head Coach: Ezra Howe

The Junior Kiwis Under 19s will take on their Trans-Tasman rivals at Redcliffe’s Dolphin Stadium with kick-off scheduled for 1 pm NZT; the game will be televised live on SKY Sport.

Read more: https://nzrl.co.nz/junior-kiwis-u19s-named/
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

I hope the club are seriously looking at retaining as many of this side as possible even if it’s transitioning via Mounties. I get the feeling they are always the last considered. The spine and back row in particular. Its time the club grew a set and took control of Mounties and used it what it is designed for, developing young players and not a holding pattern for has beens or blokes who should transition into bush footy.

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

No mention here but congrats to Harley Smith-Shields for winning the Jersey Flegg player of the year :clap:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It was in the Meninga Medal thread.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Manbush wrote:No mention here but congrats to Harley Smith-Shields for winning the Jersey Flegg player of the year :clap:
Yes very deserving. Medlyn and Odonell also

dribble73
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Austin

Post by dribble73 »

Ronny P wrote:I hope the club are seriously looking at retaining as many of this side as possible even if it’s transitioning via Mounties. I get the feeling they are always the last considered. The spine and back row in particular. Its time the club grew a set and took control of Mounties and used it what it is designed for, developing young players and not a holding pattern for has beens or blokes who should transition into bush footy.

By using Mounties as a feeder we gave away a degree of control. Needs to return to Canberra for full control.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

dribble73 wrote:
Ronny P wrote:I hope the club are seriously looking at retaining as many of this side as possible even if it’s transitioning via Mounties. I get the feeling they are always the last considered. The spine and back row in particular. Its time the club grew a set and took control of Mounties and used it what it is designed for, developing young players and not a holding pattern for has beens or blokes who should transition into bush footy.

By using Mounties as a feeder we gave away a degree of control. Needs to return to Canberra for full control.

Yes, please. Let’s do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

The comment that the last game against the Roosters was more decisive is not quite correct. We actually led comfortably 16-6 at half time before getting run over. Final score was 28-16.

Their full back Baker was superb but it was their forwards who smashed us and a couple of them don’t appear to have been selected. Hope we can get the chocolates.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

ALX22 wrote: September 18, 2019, 12:02 am Congratulations to Matthew Timoko on his selection in the Junior Kiwis U19 side!

Canberra Raiders centre Matt Timoko selected for Junior Kiwis

New Zealand Rugby League is pleased to announce the following players have been selected for the Junior Kiwis U19 team set to take on the Australian School Boys on September 29th in Queensland.

KAYAL IRO WARRIORS
TEMPLE KALEPO WARRIORS
ASU KEPAOA SYDNEY ROOSTERS
SPENCER LENIU PENRITH PANTHERS
ETU VINNY LUI PARRAMATTA EELS
CHRISTIAN MA’ANAIMA NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS
SIONE MOALA WARRIORS
GRIFFIN NEAME NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS
SELESTINO RAVUATAUMADA WARRIORS
JUNIOR PU’A WARRIORS
JORDAN RIKI BRISBANE BRONCOS
TYLER SLADE WARRIORS
VITO TEVAGA CRONULLA SHARKS
DANIEL TICEHURST NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS
MATTHEW TIMOKO CANBERRA RAIDERS
STARFORD TOA NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS
EMMANUEL TUIMAVAVE-GERRARD WARRIORS
PAUL TURNER WARRIORS
ISAIAH VAGANA WARRIORS

Head Coach: Ezra Howe

The Junior Kiwis Under 19s will take on their Trans-Tasman rivals at Redcliffe’s Dolphin Stadium with kick-off scheduled for 1 pm NZT; the game will be televised live on SKY Sport.

Read more: https://nzrl.co.nz/junior-kiwis-u19s-named/
Let’s hope he is a late withdrawal. That is Jersey Flegg grand final day.

Looks like that match is being played at the Qld Cup grand final.