13%
Rabbitohs 13+
4%

Total votes: 23

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: 2019 Preliminary Final: Teams and Previews

Post by -TW- »

PigRickman wrote:Our losses at home this year are Storm rd2, Rabbitohs rd10, Cowboys rd11, Roosters r21, Manly rd23 and Warriors r25

The warriors game we didnt give a **** about and almost won the game in first gear. Couldnt careless, couldnt give a ****.
Storm rd2... we're a wildly different team now than we were then, we've since beaten that team twice. The cowboys game was an abomination, but every team has one of those on their schedule, it's an anomoly

Manly, Rabbitohs and Roosters are legit loses and each of them were one score games. Manly needed a 100 metre offside intercept to beat us, we were an inch away twice in the closing stages from snatching the roosters game. I dont remember specifics about the Rabbitohs game.

This idea that we're a bad home team is, to be perfectly frank, absolute garbage. We've got a home game to make the grand finals. This is exaclty what this team has worked so damn hard to achieve all year long.
Rabbitohs game Papalli got stopped by the goalpost padding Wighton got tackled about 3cm out when it looked like he was over for all money, Croker spills it with one to beat

There were a million penalties as well

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

cat wrote: September 15, 2019, 9:41 pm
The Rickman wrote:It’s not a shtick, I’m convinced. I’ve been to many home games and the raiders home crowd is just lifeless and boring. Too busy yelling at the refs to support the team

You go to any away game and we outcheer the home fans. This is a fact, ask anyone
As someone who has been to all games last season and most games this one I can tell you that is not fact.

Raiders home games are awesome, some away games such as manly, cronulla, Newcastle the small number of raiders fans there make it difficult to make an impact

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
You’re right cat. It is the usual rubbish schtick from Nickman.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

-TW- wrote: September 15, 2019, 10:08 pm Rabbitohs game Papalli got stopped by the goalpost padding Wighton got tackled about 3cm out when it looked like he was over for all money, Croker spills it with one to beat
I knew there some something i must forgotten. Papalii denied by the goal posting padding and Croker being stripped clean cutting agianst the final defender, a try each finishes 9/10...

Come on now.

Circumstances may come to bury us. Each and every raiders fan should prepare for heartbreak, it's what this club has done. But if ever there was a time to just say "**** it, why not us?" its now... and you know what?

Why the **** not us?
We havent got nothing to lose and we have no reason to fear **** anyone.
Lets go. We're 160 minutes away from glory.
2 wins in a row, one at home, one away.
If they break our hearts, so be it. But there is no football/whiteboard/x and o's/ however you want to phrase it, why we cant go and just **** do the thing. It's going to come down to how we play on the day. That's it, gut check stuff. Finals footy. Who comes on the day ready to take their chances vs those who dont. The final 3 games of this season, will likely come down to 4-6 plays and who makes the most of their chances and who doesnt.

to parapharse a great man and to date myself dreadfully - sooner or later it comes down to fate, we might as well be the one.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

I don’t think we should be worried about playing anyone in a home prelim! This is exactly what football and supporting a team is all about. We have suffered through a lot as raiders fans and been dealt plenty of cruel blows in finals games but this season we have put ourselves in the best position possible to make the grand final.

If we play with the composure we did against the storm I don’t think there much that other teams can do to shake us. We can defend a lead or chase down a game depending on circumstances and our defence means we will never be too far behind.

As fans we should be drinking this up and enjoying every second of it. There’s a lot of fans who have never seen this team in a grand final or experienced the ultimate Canberra bandwagon phenomenon where everyone in the city goes bat **** crazy for the raiders.

We should be confident of winning this prelim and I think we will. Beyond that there’s an element of luck or fate but I am sure that most league supporters would
Much rather see the raiders win than the chooks or storm. The only fairy tale that could better puts would be the eels if they knocked off the storm then chooks in consecutive weeks but it’s hard to see that happening!

Let’s enjoy this for all its worth, these tunes are far too rare.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

cat wrote:
The Rickman wrote:It’s not a shtick, I’m convinced. I’ve been to many home games and the raiders home crowd is just lifeless and boring. Too busy yelling at the refs to support the team

You go to any away game and we outcheer the home fans. This is a fact, ask anyone
As someone who has been to all games last season and most games this one I can tell you that is not fact.

Raiders home games are awesome, some away games such as manly, cronulla, Newcastle the small number of raiders fans there make it difficult to make an impact

Maybe the crowd are just put off by the smell when Nickman is present
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 16, 2019, 6:12 am
cat wrote:

Maybe the crowd are just put off by the smell when Nickman is present
To be fair, they win when I go, it's when I'm NOT there that they're usually so pathetic. Hopefully for a big game such as this they can at least put in the minimum effort required.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders want to make historic NRL preliminary final even bigger

The Canberra Raiders want to host the biggest Viking clap Australia's ever seen. To do that they're looking into the possibility of installing temporary seating for their historic preliminary final in the hope of breaking their own attendance record at Canberra Stadium. The Raiders are also going to ask the question about selling tickets to their members earlier than Monday next week. Both issues are for the NRL to determine.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I have to say... if I were a member of the Rabbitohs or Sea Eagles... I'd be pretty annoyed if they gave Raiders members first shot at tickets, and before we'd even played the other team. Hard to see the NRL agreeing to that idea.
Tonguey92
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Tonguey92 »

If I can manage to get a ticket I'll definitely be making the flight down from Brisbane for this game!!!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Haha righto, somebody give Fergus his account back.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: September 16, 2019, 9:10 am I have to say... if I were a member of the Rabbitohs or Sea Eagles... I'd be pretty annoyed if they gave Raiders members first shot at tickets, and before we'd even played the other team. Hard to see the NRL agreeing to that idea.
Whatever arrangement is made would not be able to affect the member allocation of the away team.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

The NRL won't agree to selling tickets early, I'm certain of that, and I doubt that there will be any issues at all in selling out as many tickets as they make available. It would be madness to not put temporary seating in the ground for the night given there is time to organise it and the opportunity to break the ground record is there. These will be the hottest tickets in town and everyone will want to know a member so they don't miss out.

I'd also expect to see a jump in memberships for next year as in 2016 they sold tickets to the Sharks final with a membership for the following year and I know plenty of people who signed up to get to the game.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Selling tickets early would disadvantage whoever makes it, won't happen.

Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

PigRickman wrote: September 15, 2019, 10:20 pm
-TW- wrote: September 15, 2019, 10:08 pm Rabbitohs game Papalli got stopped by the goalpost padding Wighton got tackled about 3cm out when it looked like he was over for all money, Croker spills it with one to beat
I knew there some something i must forgotten. Papalii denied by the goal posting padding and Croker being stripped clean cutting agianst the final defender, a try each finishes 9/10...

Come on now.

Circumstances may come to bury us. Each and every raiders fan should prepare for heartbreak, it's what this club has done. But if ever there was a time to just say "**** it, why not us?" its now... and you know what?

Why the **** not us?
We havent got nothing to lose and we have no reason to fear **** anyone.
Lets go. We're 160 minutes away from glory.
2 wins in a row, one at home, one away.
If they break our hearts, so be it. But there is no football/whiteboard/x and o's/ however you want to phrase it, why we cant go and just **** do the thing. It's going to come down to how we play on the day. That's it, gut check stuff. Finals footy. Who comes on the day ready to take their chances vs those who dont. The final 3 games of this season, will likely come down to 4-6 plays and who makes the most of their chances and who doesnt.

to parapharse a great man and to date myself dreadfully - sooner or later it comes down to fate, we might as well be the one.
Clear eyes, full hearts, CAN'T LOSE!
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

I hope we have learnt a lesson from both the 2010 and 2016 home semi final losses. Admittedly we were unlucky with injuries in both games (Campese and Hodgson), but even still - there was an element of complacency with the big crowd at home. Stuart said the right things in the press conference, I have confidence he will keep a lid on things. A big, parochial home crowd is a good advantage, but the players have to bring the crowd into the game with a fast start. This is our best chance in 20 years at making a GF - relatively injury free and a week off, against a side (Souths/Manly) we should beat at home. Don’t let this opportunity go!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

TongueFTW wrote: September 16, 2019, 3:58 pm I hope we have learnt a lesson from both the 2010 and 2016 semi final losses. Admittedly we were unlucky with injuries in both games (Campese and Hodgson), but even still - there was an element of complacency with the big crowd at home. Stuart said the right things in the press conference, I have confidence he will keep a lid on things. A big, parochial home crowd is a good advantage, but the players have to bring the crowd into the game with a fast start. This is our best chance in 20 years at making a GF - relatively injury free and a week off, against a side (Souths/Manly) we should beat at home. Don’t let this opportunity go!
Very, very, VERY good post. We now have the "easier" side of the draw, but if the team goes into this game with one eye on the grand final and forgets to focus on our opponent, we can very well get beaten... and have many times before.

We need to 100% focus on our opponents, stick to the gameplan, and come out just as intense as we did against the Storm and the game will take care of itself.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

The Rickman wrote: September 16, 2019, 4:01 pm
TongueFTW wrote: September 16, 2019, 3:58 pm I hope we have learnt a lesson from both the 2010 and 2016 semi final losses. Admittedly we were unlucky with injuries in both games (Campese and Hodgson), but even still - there was an element of complacency with the big crowd at home. Stuart said the right things in the press conference, I have confidence he will keep a lid on things. A big, parochial home crowd is a good advantage, but the players have to bring the crowd into the game with a fast start. This is our best chance in 20 years at making a GF - relatively injury free and a week off, against a side (Souths/Manly) we should beat at home. Don’t let this opportunity go!
Very, very, VERY good post. We now have the "easier" side of the draw, but if the team goes into this game with one eye on the grand final and forgets to focus on our opponent, we can very well get beaten... and have many times before.

We need to 100% focus on our opponents, stick to the gameplan, and come out just as intense as we did against the Storm and the game will take care of itself.
100% agree that we can't look ahead of the prelim. The Tigers did it in the AFL last year and got caught. We still haven't done anything and chances like this are incredibly rare. In 2016 we were carrying some significant injuries into the prelim but this year everyone is fit and raring to go.

Crokers comment in the press about almost passing out during the viking clap in 2016 demonstrates how overawed they were by the occasion. This year I think they know what to expect and will rise to the occasion. They are more experienced, more composed, more professional and will get this done.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The Rickman wrote: September 16, 2019, 4:01 pm

I reckon if we make it to Sydney we'll lift the trophy. And as said above we need to rest, review, prepare and peak for whom ever we play..concentrate on us and remember that if we stay in the fight the game does go 80mins.

This fortnight off is just awesome for the boys. THEY WILL BE READY !!

And we are all very excited..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: September 16, 2019, 9:51 am
greeneyed wrote: September 16, 2019, 9:10 am I have to say... if I were a member of the Rabbitohs or Sea Eagles... I'd be pretty annoyed if they gave Raiders members first shot at tickets, and before we'd even played the other team. Hard to see the NRL agreeing to that idea.
Whatever arrangement is made would not be able to affect the member allocation of the away team.
That's impossible if you give one team early access to the seats... Areas are not allocated to one group of fans or another.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Joe Tapine takes the early plea and is free to play in the Preliminary Final: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/09 ... oe-tapine/

Preliminary Final announcement: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/09 ... s-2-and-3/
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Yeah, I don't think we'll be allowed to sell the tickets early.

That said, I thought the temporary seating shebang was an ACT Govt issue? I seem to recall in 2016 that it was because the Govt couldn't approve them in time but if they'd had one more week it could have been done.

Well, we got our week...
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson will be appearing on NRL 360 tonight.

@FOXNRL on Twitter has some highlights... good interview!

https://twitter.com/FOXNRL/status/1173544515740684292

https://twitter.com/FOXNRL/status/1173545227799293952

https://twitter.com/FOXNRL/status/1173546413176713217
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I've waited so long for us to be this good at this time of the year that it almost doesn't feel real.

2016 was an amazing time.
This is topping it for me.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Who ever we play I want to see us driving their ball carriers backwards in the tackles. It lifts the team to see it from their mates. If it happens 2 or 3 times in a set the opposition lose their momentum and the retrieval of their kick will have us on the front foot for our next set. We got into the Storm and it threw them off their attacking game. The same can happen to any side. Attacking defence Raiders. It works.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

pickles wrote: September 16, 2019, 4:17 pm Crokers comment in the press about almost passing out during the viking clap in 2016 demonstrates how overawed they were by the occasion. This year I think they know what to expect and will rise to the occasion. They are more experienced, more composed, more professional and will get this done.
Or as Paul Kent just said toninght on NRL360, "They're men".

By which he meant that we finally have a mature football team.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rising star Bailey Simonsson's journey to the Canberra Raiders

Three years ago Bailey Simonsson was just another face in the crowd watching the Canberra Raiders of 2016 tear sides apart with the skillful, cavalier attitude that made them one of the most destructive and attractive teams to watch.

"I actually watched the '16 season quite closely because I liked how they played and they were having a great season," Simonsson said. "I loved watching Rapa and BJ, they both had a heck of a season.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/16/ris ... o-raiders/
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

This isn't your big brother's Raiders team
This team is built differently. It's built on resilience, it's built on defensive back bone and it's built on the desire to play for each other and "earn" it.

We may not win the comp, and it's not the first team i've seen i think was capable of winning a comp... but it's the first team in my adult life where i beleive them winning the comp wouldnt be a HUGE upset. This team is built for finals footy. Doesnt mean they'll win it all, doesn't mean we'll even get to the Grand Final. But set fire to the the narratives that have rightly dogged this club for years.

If this team doesnt get it done, it'll be because another good team beat us on the day. Not because we're rubbish off the park, not because we dont have the talent to compete with the big guns, not because we're poorly coached, not because the NRL would never allow it, not because the system is set up to prevent us from doing it.... none of that **** matters, not now where we are.

This is all about who puts down their best footy when it counts most.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

raiderskater wrote:Yeah, I don't think we'll be allowed to sell the tickets early.

That said, I thought the temporary seating shebang was an ACT Govt issue? I seem to recall in 2016 that it was because the Govt couldn't approve them in time but if they'd had one more week it could have been done.

Well, we got our week...
It's definitely in the works..

pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Lui_Bon wrote:
pickles wrote: September 16, 2019, 4:17 pm Crokers comment in the press about almost passing out during the viking clap in 2016 demonstrates how overawed they were by the occasion. This year I think they know what to expect and will rise to the occasion. They are more experienced, more composed, more professional and will get this done.
Or as Paul Kent just said toninght on NRL360, "They're men".

By which he meant that we finally have a mature football team.
It is interesting to think back a few years to when Ricky was saying he didn’t quite have the players to be competitive. He was also talking about players like Croker and Wighton as needing more experience.

Since then we have brought in Hodgson, whitehead, Bateman and seen he development of our local juniors and we now have the core of the squad with around 150 games of NRL experience.

The maturity comes from the time spent training and playing at that level consistently and we finally have the right balance between experience and youth and it shows in our composure.
PJC01
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Mullins

Post by PJC01 »

In all seriousness could we beat a full strength Souths team?
Manly I’m not too worried about i think we could nullify their forwards as we did it to Melb,Souths in the otherhand would be a bigger task!

Cotric will be right to go and Tapine will not be suspended
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

I think Manly's forwards have presented us more trouble in the past than some others because of the freedom they are given to offload. Manly will also come in as big underdogs so will have the freedom to take chances. But it really doesn't matter - there are only tough games left under knock out pressure. But we can beat anyone, whether they are full strength or not.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Surely this will be the biggest crowd in Canberra, it is obviously the biggest event ever for the Canberra Raiders and Canberra, I cannot believe this feeling.

Sent from my SM-G930F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

PJC01 wrote:In all seriousness could we beat a full strength Souths team?
Manly I’m not too worried about i think we could nullify their forwards as we did it to Melb,Souths in the otherhand would be a bigger task!

Cotric will be right to go and Tapine will not be suspended
Dane Tilse days are over......this is the Mighty Canberra Raiders.

Sent from my SM-G930F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

DarkRaider
Glenn Lazarus

Post by DarkRaider »

If we win this and Croker can bag a try and a few goals in the process he’ll be a real chance of ringing up his 2000th career point on the biggest stage of all. That’d quite something.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: September 16, 2019, 10:22 pm Rising star Bailey Simonsson's journey to the Canberra Raiders

Three years ago Bailey Simonsson was just another face in the crowd watching the Canberra Raiders of 2016 tear sides apart with the skillful, cavalier attitude that made them one of the most destructive and attractive teams to watch.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/16/ris ... o-raiders/

What a shot :lol: