Hudson Young suspended for eight weeks

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Hudson Young suspended for eight weeks

Post by Northern Raider »

The Rickman wrote: September 13, 2019, 9:34 pm Good grief, he’s talking to himself again, isn’t he?
Who are you talking to?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Northern Raider wrote: September 13, 2019, 10:07 pm
The Rickman wrote: September 13, 2019, 9:34 pm Good grief, he’s talking to himself again, isn’t he?
Who are you talking to?
:lol:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

yeh raiders wrote: September 13, 2019, 10:36 pm
Northern Raider wrote: September 13, 2019, 10:07 pm
Who are you talking to?
I’m impressed with Nicks efforts to bring back “good grief” as a thing. Not since Charlie Brown in the Peanuts strip has anyone used the tag line with such commitment!
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

My personal favourite was IHAGF. There's another one with something like 26 letters but I don't have enough of an attention span to
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Boomercm wrote: September 12, 2019, 9:33 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: September 11, 2019, 11:35 pm Can't believe he only got 8 weeks.

Whether or not you believe it was unintentional is largely irrelevant. The guy is an idiot for going anywhere near Pompey's eyes. It looked really, really ordinary on replay.
people are paying way too much attention to the way it looked (and their feelings/reaction), and not enough to the logical weight of all the other evidence. This is a typical cognitive bias as we have lots of brain space dedicated to vision, and it looked icky.

But all of the other evidence suggests no gouge. His explanation of trying to hold him up accounts for the visuals (but doesn't seem to match the initial icky feeling, so seems less believable). It was a terrible judiciary decision, from a legal/criminal justice standards viewpoint.

And if he didn't have the prior incident he would never have been found guilty. Which suggests he should never have been found guilty. Prior record helps determine penalty once found guilty. It should not influence verdict.
Sounds reasonable, except for the bit where Young thought it was OK to hold a player up from grounding the ball by sticking his fingers near the bloke's eyes.

I'm sorry, but it's similar to the NRL outlawing players from sliding into tackles with their boots, ala Billy Slater, in an attempt to lodge the ball free from the scorers hands. It's dangerous and it's a terrible look and it's now illegal.

I've never seen a player attempt to hold up the try scorer by shoving his fingers near their eyes. I don't care what the logic is, it's a bad look because it looked pretty **** bad...especially from a player who just got back from a similar suspension.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on September 14, 2019, 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

PigRickman wrote: September 13, 2019, 10:20 am We all agree there was dangerous contact to the face, right?

So all we're missing is whether there was contact with the eye in that...

Image Image

I mean you guys can believe that this action had no contact with the eye that if you want, but i'm not in the business of buying Bull to exonerate a three time eye gouger. The judiciary isn't burdened by some requirement to find the man guilty "beyond reasonable doubt".

in fact as per the NRL judicary Code Of Procedures:
Onus and Standard of Proof

72. In every case, the Judiciary Counsel bears the onus of proof on the balance of probabilities.

--

The balance of probability is contact with the eye was made, and it was deliberate and dangerous.
1-2-3 stikes, you're out.
Seriously...you simply can't defend those screenshots. :lol:

Hopefully the guy learns his lesson and never does it again.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Boomercm wrote: September 13, 2019, 8:59 pm
RedRaider wrote: September 13, 2019, 6:34 pm Boomercm, look at those photos in this thread. What is Young doing wth his right hand?
look at the Cameron Smith photo's from last round. Was he pulling ears?

Again, classic visual bias. And all everyone got at first was the vision and commentators going off in a frenzy. So everyone formed their opinion and said their piece before any other evidence was collected.

Again. I'm not saying I know the truth. Just saying the judiciary did not act anything like a a judiciary should. They all acted like average punters. They obviously get no training or legal grounding.

(fyi - to give some background here... I'm a Dr Clinincal Psychology who has a grounding in the memory research and the fallibility of eye witness testimony. So I'm not that upset as a Raiders fan, but I am upset as a league fan who cares about the principles of judicial decision making. The guilty verdict was embarrassing from a this perspective)
I am not a Doctor (congratulations on that achievement) but I do know that diversion is a classic way to avoid a question. I have been in hundreds of negotiations dealing with contractors over the years and recognize a defensive tactic when I see one. You have simply avoided the question asked: 'What is Young doing with his right hand?' It's likely you really know the obvious answer.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote:My personal favourite was IHAGF. There's another one with something like 26 letters but I don't have enough of an attention span to
IFAMIYWMS
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seiffert82 wrote:
PigRickman wrote: September 13, 2019, 10:20 am We all agree there was dangerous contact to the face, right?

Image Image

I mean you guys can believe that this action had no contact with the eye that if you want, but i'm not in the business of buying Bull to exonerate a three time eye gouger. The judiciary isn't burdened by some requirement to find the man guilty "beyond reasonable doubt".

72. In every case, the Judiciary Counsel bears the onus of proof on the balance of probabilities.

--

The balance of probability is contact with the eye was made, and it was deliberate and dangerous.
Seriously...you simply can't defend those screenshots. Image

Exactly. It doesn't matter how many times people say "it's not his go, he's a good bloke" and he wasn't given a fair trial ... look at those images and the footage of the incident and tell me he's not guilty.
If a player from another club did that to one of our players we would all be screaming for a lengthy suspension.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

The Rickman wrote: September 14, 2019, 6:10 am
zim wrote:My personal favourite was IHAGF. There's another one with something like 26 letters but I don't have enough of an attention span to
IFAMIYWMS
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:

Image Image

--

Exactly. It doesn't matter how many times people say "it's not his go, he's a good bloke" and he wasn't given a fair trial ... look at those images and the footage of the incident and tell me he's not guilty.
If a player from another club did that to one of our players we would all be screaming for a lengthy suspension.

You also can’t argue it’s not a bloke’s go when it’s his third offence and he clearly has a problem with it.

First offence, yeah maybe, it’s a rush of blood or whatever. But this is a genuine problem. Burying our heads in the sand and blaming the judiciary won’t help us one iota.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Billy Walker wrote: September 13, 2019, 9:20 pm
Boomercm wrote: September 13, 2019, 8:59 pm
RedRaider wrote: September 13, 2019, 6:34 pm Boomercm, look at those photos in this thread. What is Young doing wth his right hand?
look at the Cameron Smith photo's from last round. Was he pulling ears?

Again, classic visual bias. And all everyone got at first was the vision and commentators going off in a frenzy. So everyone formed their opinion and said their piece before any other evidence was collected.

Again. I'm not saying I know the truth. Just saying the judiciary did not act anything like a a judiciary should. They all acted like average punters. They obviously get no training or legal grounding.

(fyi - to give some background here... I'm a Dr Clinincal Psychology who has a grounding in the memory research and the fallibility of eye witness testimony. So I'm not that upset as a Raiders fan, but I am upset as a league fan who cares about the principles of judicial decision making. The guilty verdict was embarrassing from a this perspective)
I agree with you Boomercm, but I feel the bigger question here is as a Dr Clinical Psychology do you visit the GH to satisfy your interest in the Raiders or to study some of the posters here? I bet there wouldn’t be enough time in the day to start making sense of some on here....
I had this strange dream last night. I had a few beers with some mates and had an 'engaging debate' about the HY decision. When I got home I got on my favourite fan site and used my work credentials to try and win the very same argument. I woke slightly embarrassed...
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Rickman wrote:
gergreg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:

Image Image

--

You also can’t argue it’s not a bloke’s go when it’s his third offence and he clearly has a problem with it.

First offence, yeah maybe, it’s a rush of blood or whatever. But this is a genuine problem. Burying our heads in the sand and blaming the judiciary won’t help us one iota.
I'd definitely say it is his go. His go is gouging eyes.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

The Rickman wrote: September 14, 2019, 10:06 am
gergreg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:

Image Image

--

Back to a regular argument and away from judicial process...

Two questions:
(1) If he is such a well practised eye gouger, and he was deliberately taking the opportunity to have a double crack at an eye gouge on a completely defenceless player.... why didn't Pompey react in any way? How did he come out of it completely unscathed?

(2) In the souths game there was some niggle. But the Warriors game was like a dead rubber. We barely gave a sh*t and nor did they. Paps aside, the whole team (including HY) looked disengaged for most of it. Where does the motivation for him to gouge this bloke come from? Especially given its a try so def going to be reviewed... and the obvious consequences with his history.

It makes no sense, aside from HY being a really really really dumb c*nt. I just don't see it. The boys would not have rallied around him like they have if this was the case.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Billy, I'm not arguing with you and your alts any further... all the logical and reasonable posters on the Greenhouse agree with me, a whole bunch of people I've never seen even post before this discussion (except Billy) disagree with me. That's all I need to close out this "debate".
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Boomercm wrote:
The Rickman wrote: September 14, 2019, 10:06 am
gergreg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:

Image Image

--

Back to a regular argument and away from judicial process...

Two questions:
(1) If he is such a well practised eye gouger, and he was deliberately taking the opportunity to have a double crack at an eye gouge on a completely defenceless player.... why didn't Pompey react in any way? How did he come out of it completely unscathed?

(2) In the souths game there was some niggle. But the Warriors game was like a dead rubber. We barely gave a sh*t and nor did they. Paps aside, the whole team (including HY) looked disengaged for most of it. Where does the motivation for him to gouge this bloke come from? Especially given its a try so def going to be reviewed... and the obvious consequences with his history.

It makes no sense, aside from HY being a really really really dumb c*nt. I just don't see it. The boys would not have rallied around him like they have if this was the case.
Who knows, who cares.
How can you look at those images and say to yourself 'it's not worthy of suspension?'

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

It's called trolling gerg, and it's pretty easy to do when you're a master at it.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Boomercm wrote: I had this strange dream last night. I had a few beers with some mates and had an 'engaging debate' about the HY decision. When I got home I got on my favourite fan site and used my work credentials to try and win the very same argument. I woke slightly embarrassed...

Shake it off Dr.Boom. You’re alright ImageImage
Boomercm wrote: (2) In the souths game there was some niggle. But the Warriors game was like a dead rubber. We barely gave a sh*t and nor did they. Paps aside, the whole team (including HY) looked disengaged for most of it. Where does the motivation for him to gouge this bloke come from? Especially given its a try so def going to be reviewed... and the obvious consequences with his history.

You might recall Wighton putting a blatant shoulder charge on in a dead rubber too.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The Rickman wrote: September 14, 2019, 11:11 am Billy, I'm not arguing with you and your alts any further... all the logical and reasonable posters on the Greenhouse agree with me, a whole bunch of people I've never seen even post before this discussion (except Billy) disagree with me. That's all I need to close out this "debate".
You make me laugh Nicko - I’ve got no aliases and have never posted on here under any other name. But in any case why see this as a competition or a battle? I think it’s been a really interesting discussion. The bottom line is HY is serving an 8 week ban and nothing you, me or anyone else says will change that. I’ve think people have put forward some really interesting views on both sides. You, Red, Pig and others have made a strong case that he should have got more and maybe isn’t a great fit with club culture. GE has made some great points about the NRL needing to clean up any attacks on the head or face. I think Dr Boom and others have provided great arguments as to why he should have got off. It’s not a discussion to be won or lost and I don’t think anyone is trolling. Isn’t this how forums are supposed to work? We kick around different views on things we have an interest in to kill time between games?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think you should shut up.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hey Billy were you at the game tonight? Did you get to catch up with anyone else from the forum? Anybody else able to vouch for you as a person?

Maybe I’ll see you at the grand final? Happy to shout you beers all night, pal
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Rickman wrote:Hey Billy were you at the game tonight? Did you get to catch up with anyone else from the forum? Anybody else able to vouch for you as a person?

Free beer.... I'm Spartacus.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The Rickman wrote: September 14, 2019, 10:33 pm Hey Billy were you at the game tonight? Did you get to catch up with anyone else from the forum? Anybody else able to vouch for you as a person?

Sounds good to me!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Rickman wrote: Maybe I’ll see you at the grand final? Happy to shout you beers all night, pal
It's me. I'm Billy.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Billy Walker wrote:
The Rickman wrote: September 14, 2019, 10:33 pm Hey Billy were you at the game tonight? Did you get to catch up with anyone else from the forum? Anybody else able to vouch for you as a person?

Sounds good to me!
Hooray!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

T_R wrote: September 15, 2019, 9:09 am
The Rickman wrote: Maybe I’ll see you at the grand final? Happy to shout you beers all night, pal
It's me. I'm Billy.

No I’m Eugene! 😂
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

So do trials and world club challenge count for this?

8 Week suspension
1) Finals Week 1 v Melbourne
2) Finals Week 3 v Souths
3) Grand Final v Roosters
4) World club challenge ?
5) Trial 1
6) Trial 2
7) Round 1 2020
8) Round 2 2020

Returns round 3.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I have vague memories that you can only use 1 trial game to count for suspensions?
I know that was the rule many years ago, may have changed though.

So week 3 or 4 depending on that.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

It's me. I'm Billy.

Haven't I shouted you enough beers already under the "T_R" persona??
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Rickman wrote:
It's me. I'm Billy.

I remember buying you some quality craft beer for lunch, then you driving your car into a cement barrier.

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: October 1, 2019, 4:48 pm
The Rickman wrote:
It's me. I'm Billy.

I remember buying you some quality craft beer for lunch, then you driving your car into a cement barrier.

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Exactly. So now we're even.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘Can’t sleep at night’: Canberra Raiders rookie Hudson Young opens up on eye gouge ban

It will be a long NRL off-season for Canberra thinking about what could have been in 2019, but nobody will be working harder than suspended youngster Hudson Young. He was the forgotten man in the grand final last Sunday.

“Missing the games during the season then doing it again, you sit at home and you can’t sleep at night and you’re just thinking what if I didn’t do it,” Young said.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 9ed67d917e
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

At least you have your vision...pelican !
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Interesting language he used there. Words to the effect I did it then I did it again... hmm

Hope the lad bounces back but he’s an interesting one it seems
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

If he does it again after all the club and players have rallied behind him, I want him shot out of a cannon. Don't give a **** where he lands.
Hopefully he pulls his head in. It's not part of the game, never has been.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk