The Cricket Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt »

raiderskater wrote: September 9, 2019, 6:54 pm I'm so proud of the lads, but I gotta say I'm also really proud of Paine. He has done his best and carried himself with poise and maturity after becoming captain in the most difficult way possible. He absolutely deserves this.
In that respect he has been 1st class. I'd argue he has been our best captain in that regard. AB, Taylor, Waugh, Ponting and Clarke were all hard nosed leaders. Smith took a step back, but was still ruthless on the field.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Matt wrote: September 9, 2019, 9:01 pm
RedRaider wrote: September 8, 2019, 9:23 pm
Azza wrote: September 7, 2019, 11:35 pm Warner should be forced to swim home
Azza, I'm starting to think the continual booing is getting to him. He used to take the family to the game. His kids would have been asking 'Why are they booing Daddy?' It would have been difficult to admit he was suspended for a year for cheating. I can't recall a time when he has had such a string of low scores (Awaits Matt to belt me with the facts :) ).
Missed this from earlier, but this is his worst run.
Got his 1st career pair.
Now has 3 globes on the trot.
It's his worst run.
Thanks Matt. Given those stats its time to give Warner a spell imo. Whoever they bring in cannot score worse than ZERO. Uzi has opened in the past. The Labu/Smith 1st innings rebuilt our total in the last test. Keep them at 3 and 4. Other than booing from the crowd, I am not seeing what Warner is adding to the performance/motivation of the side. When they are back in OZ then Burns has to be back in the mix even if that means that Hohns has to be given the flick as a selector as well.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RedRaider wrote: September 9, 2019, 10:02 pm
Azza, I'm starting to think the continual booing is getting to him. He used to take the family to the game. His kids would have been asking 'Why are they booing Daddy?' It would have been difficult to admit he was suspended for a year for cheating. I can't recall a time when he has had such a string of low scores (Awaits Matt to belt me with the facts :) ).
Got his 1st career pair.
It's his worst run.
Thanks Matt. Given those stats its time to give Warner a spell imo. Whoever they bring in cannot score worse than ZERO. Uzi has opened in the past. The Labu/Smith 1st innings rebuilt our total in the last test. Keep them at 3 and 4. Other than booing from the crowd, I am not seeing what Warner is adding to the performance/motivation of the side. When they are back in OZ then Burns has to be back in the mix even if that means that Hohns has to be given the flick as a selector as well.
Burns needs to be in the mix coz the others have failed. I don't see Warner bring flicked though
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

We all remember that great West Indies side of the 80s.

Clive Lloyd, Viv Richards, Jeff Dujon, Gus Logie, Malcolm Marshall+ many others.

But Pakistan also had a great bunch.

Penut Batajar
Wasee Acrim
Ahkeep Myteefina Jahbesidabed
Javed Gemiteformeandad
Rubbish Binney
Neva bin Behindbars
Hafaduzn Marsbarz
Asif Heedgeevasheet
Sleazy Winebarz
He drive Fastcarz

Plenty of former PAK greats in that list..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-PJ- wrote: September 10, 2019, 7:58 am We all remember that great West Indies side of the 80s.

Clive Lloyd, Viv Richards, Jeff Dujon, Gus Logie, Malcolm Marshall+ many others.

Penut Batajar
Wasee Acrim
Javed Gemiteformeandad
Rubbish Binney
Neva bin Behindbars
Hafaduzn Marsbarz
Asif Heedgeevasheet
Sleazy Winebarz
He drive Fastcarz

Did you find your 12th man CDs PJ?
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

You forgot Adsayed Giveasheed

Also who could forget Deeryme whatacrummysinghe
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

RedRaider wrote: September 9, 2019, 10:02 pm
Got his 1st career pair.
It's his worst run.
Don't agree with droppng Warner and retaining Harris, who's record this series is equally sucky. When you compare records prior to this series there is daylight between Warner and Harris.

As per my earlier post, I think they need to give both openers one more crack at redemption. The reality is they can only replace them with somebody else who's recently been dropped for under performance (Khawaja and Bancroft) and that's not going to achieve much.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: September 10, 2019, 10:20 am You forgot Adsayed Giveasheed

He plays fro Sri Lanka you muppet
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

What about Shovedeminda vaas?

Or Ahfeellikeachunda andamaightneedapuutuu
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: September 10, 2019, 10:26 am
Azza wrote: September 10, 2019, 10:20 am You forgot Adsayed Giveasheed

He plays fro Sri Lanka you muppet
:roflmao
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

And in the end farrrkinear was.... nowhere f**kin near it.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Matt wrote: September 10, 2019, 10:06 am
-PJ- wrote: September 10, 2019, 7:58 am We all remember that great West Indies side of the 80s.

Penut Batajar
Wasee Acrim
Javed Gemiteformeandad
Rubbish Binney
Neva bin Behindbars
Hafaduzn Marsbarz
Asif Heedgeevasheet
Sleazy Winebarz
He drive Fastcarz

Did you find your 12th man CDs PJ?
No..these are legitimate players..aren't they ??
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Aeed Sayeed Givasheed

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Ameer...Sohail.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Doubledeckerbus
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Azza wrote:Ameer...Sohail.
Hail Richie, hail the great man

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Ramatunga downathroata
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Azza wrote: September 10, 2019, 3:38 pmAmeer...Sohail.
Hail Richie!
Hail the great man!

Ohhhhh, shut up Ba-ull!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-TW- wrote: September 10, 2019, 5:27 pm
Azza wrote:Ameer...Sohail.
Hail Richie, hail the great man

Jinx
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Drops Head but keeps Warner, k

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Head out, Marsh in.
Lefty out, righty in.
Bowler in, means Cummins probably plays.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Makaveli wrote: September 11, 2019, 10:56 pm Drops Head but keeps Warner, k

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
It's no surprise at all.
Who do u replace him with?
Bancroft? Was dumped after the 2nd.
Khawaja? Was dumped for the 4th
There are no other top order bats on tour. Marsh is the last one.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Mitchell Marsh back in the squad for Travis Head. Siddle in the 12. Is this the Ashes or a retirement benefit Charity match?? Siddle is 35 in November. He won't play another Ashes Test after this series, unless Hohns is still a selector. Selectors change a winning Test squad but leave the worst performers alone. The old saying, its harder to get out of the Test squad than into it, seems to be coming true.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

MMarsh still holding on to those photos of Langer and Hohns in a compromising position.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RedRaider wrote: September 12, 2019, 7:43 am Mitchell Marsh back in the squad for Travis Head. Siddle in the 12. Is this the Ashes or a retirement benefit Charity match?? Siddle is 35 in November. He won't play another Ashes Test after this series, unless Hohns is still a selector. Selectors change a winning Test squad but leave the worst performers alone. The old saying, its harder to get out of the Test squad than into it, seems to be coming true.
IMO there is argument to say Siddle is the perfect squad member/ 12th man. His experience, professionalism and reliability is what all coaches want, and could easily be mentoring/ coaching the other bowlers from inside the playing group. He can help the other players, and if a bowler went down in the warmup, you know he could slot in at a moments notice and not disgrace himself. That said, he definitely inst talented enough to be there on his own merit these days.

As for MMarsh, how many chances do you get? I get it, Head and Wades form hasnt been the best, and we have already tinkered as much as we can with the top order, but.... ooph!
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

That MMarsh selection is baffling.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Talking to someone with inside knowledge, Siddle is selected as he contributes more to the team than his individual statistics suggest. There is quite a lot of analytics that go into it.

That's also how Smith was originally selected, there was a disagreement between selectors, one particularly thinking that Smith wouldn't be good enough. But the analytics suggested otherwise, so he was given a chance.

Incidentally, New Zealand are far ahead of other countries on analytics, just don't have the talent pool to execute in a longer time period.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

You can park Siddle at an end for 12 overs at a time and he won't go for a million, but a wet lettuce leaf has more chance of taking a bag.

He's useful if Lyon could take a wicket, but he's useless atm.

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

reptar wrote: September 12, 2019, 10:23 am Talking to someone with inside knowledge, Siddle is selected as he contributes more to the team than his individual statistics suggest. There is quite a lot of analytics that go into it.

That's also how Smith was originally selected, there was a disagreement between selectors, one particularly thinking that Smith wouldn't be good enough. But the analytics suggested otherwise, so he was given a chance.

Incidentally, New Zealand are far ahead of other countries on analytics, just don't have the talent pool to execute in a longer time period.
Interesting
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Matt wrote:
reptar wrote: September 12, 2019, 10:23 am Talking to someone with inside knowledge, Siddle is selected as he contributes more to the team than his individual statistics suggest. There is quite a lot of analytics that go into it.

Interesting
Next time we catch up, whenever that is, happy to go into details on it. Can't reveal my source here, though. :)
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

reptar wrote: September 12, 2019, 11:29 am
Matt wrote:

Interesting
Next time we catch up, whenever that is, happy to go into details on it. Can't reveal my source here, though. :)
I'm very interested.

Australian sport is behind in this regard, though John Buchanan was big on numbers while he was coaching the national team. NRL only jioned the modern world with GPS etc in the past couple of years too.

American sport, esp NFL have been doing it for years.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

RedRaider wrote: September 12, 2019, 7:43 am Mitchell Marsh back in the squad for Travis Head. Siddle in the 12. Is this the Ashes or a retirement benefit Charity match?? Siddle is 35 in November. He won't play another Ashes Test after this series, unless Hohns is still a selector. Selectors change a winning Test squad but leave the worst performers alone. The old saying, its harder to get out of the Test squad than into it, seems to be coming true.
It's just not cricket...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

These analytics got it right with Smith. How many times have they got it wrong? Personally I think they're over analysing sometimes. The science starts to create knowledge clutter and judgement gets clouded.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Northern Raider wrote:

These analytics got it right with Smith. How many times have they got it wrong? Personally I think they're over analysing sometimes. The science starts to create knowledge clutter and judgement gets clouded.
Yes, often it's because there aren't enough data points, so confidence levels or error of margin is completely out. Often there would be an experiment to see what happens. Other times, things would backfire because the selectors or coach ignored it and went with gut feel. Other times it was admittedly not helpful.

I've seen the analysis used by Australia for the World Cup and a lot of it was spot on. New Zealand used their statistical advantages pretty much perfectly.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Analytics are used on Cricket team list Thursday. I wonder if Stick uses them on Team List Tuesday?