Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Hudson Young suspended for eight weeks

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:
The Rickman wrote: September 11, 2019, 6:48 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
The Rickman wrote: September 11, 2019, 2:51 pm
Northern Raider wrote: September 11, 2019, 2:49 pm OK so based on your own standards Young would get 12 weeks. Burgess probably 16. McGuire 20. I'm cool with that. :thumbsup
Sounds reasonable. I feel like McGuire should've been rubbed out for a very long time and the NRL absolutely bungled it.

Can you link me to footage of the Burgess incident??
About 20 sec into the video
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nine.c ... a6b8ed067f
That’s pretty awful. I’d be giving that 8 weeks for a first offence and throwing the book at him for a second offence, 12-16 weeks
It was his 2nd offence which is why he got 9 weeks.
Sweet, so you have my answer. Glad we sorted that out.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I agree with PigRick. If the NRL wants this out of the game then they have to get fair dinkum with penalties.
First rake of the face, eye contact or not, 12 weeks.
Do it again within 5 years and it's 24 weeks minimum.
A third offence is a life ban.

I can't believe the casual attitude of the NRL to players potentially damaging the eye sight of another player in knowingly attacking the face of another player. It is the worst look in Rugby League.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

GreenMachine wrote: September 11, 2019, 7:05 pm
gangrenous wrote: September 11, 2019, 6:52 pm What’s the judiciary supposed to do? Let him off because Pompey says so when every man and his dog can see what happened in the vision plain as day?

Result - every charge now goes to the judiciary and they bring their opponent to help get them off. Doesn’t matter if you’re guilty, just who your friends are.

Yet another comment in a long history of Phil Gould touting “common sense” solutions that in reality are actually **** stupid.
You make a good point.
I’ve advocated for a while now that I would get rid of the judicial process altogether.
Players get charged post a review and the penalties are standard.
I’d get rid of the ‘grey’ in the grading system.
It’s either an accident, careless, reckless or deliberate.
As long as you have ‘contact’, you cop one of the 4 categories.
Accidents would be a fine based on % of salary.
Careless 3 weeks.
Reckless 6 weeks
Deliberate 9 weeks.
Double the penalty for a repeat offence within a season.
That’s it.
Same panel come up with the charge for every game to ensure consistency and there’s no wasted time on Tuesday nights.
But that is what the Match Review Committee is supposed to do now! Come up with consistent charges! They don't!

A judiciary is there to protect players from the wrong charges.

Now, it is clear they are all doing a terrible job... and they should all be thrown out at the end of the season. The whole system needs to be overhauled fundamentally. But you need a body to make charges, to prosecute if necessary, and then review.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RedRaider wrote: September 11, 2019, 7:32 pm I agree with PigRick. If the NRL wants this out of the game then they have to get fair dinkum with penalties.

I can't believe the casual attitude of the NRL to players potentially damaging the eye sight of another player in knowingly attacking the face of another player. It is the worst look in Rugby League.
Red Raider, that is a massive change in the standards. I don't mind that at all... but just earlier this year, there were just two posters on this forum - as I recall - suggesting that an old fashioned facial from a Raiders player on an opposition player who had a severely broken nose was inappropriate. I was attacked from all sides for suggesting that this was not what we want to see from a Raiders player. That facials shouldn't be permitted in 2019. There weren't people saying then that old fashioned facials had to be ruled out of the game. I was told then that's part of the game! I was called all sorts of things for my view on it.

I certainly think facials should be ruled out of the game. But the inconsistencies in the MRC, the judiciary, and the wider rugby league community - and even around here - on this have certainly not taken that view to date.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

RedRaider wrote: September 11, 2019, 7:32 pm I agree with PigRick. If the NRL wants this out of the game then they have to get fair dinkum with penalties.

Playing Devil’s advocate here Red, I’d imagine in a contact sport you’d accept there is always going to be some level of incidental or accidental contact with the head. For a genuine eye gouge where there is no doubt a player is deliberately attacking the eyes of a player I’m happy to support any length ban you propose including a life ban. I think it gets tricky where there is a blurred line between what is deliberate and what is accidental and incidental contact.

I respect the views on here that Young knew exactly what he was doing and got off lightly. I don’t agree with those views. I believe there was a case for Young to find his hands in that unfortunate area given he was trying to hold Pompey up. Pompey’s evidence also carries enormous weight in my books. I even give great regard to Ricky’s opinion given he seems a very honourable man and knows Young better than I do.

Perhaps I’m wrong and Young knew exactly what he was doing but your mandatory sentences become troublesome if there is any area of grey in the incident.

My problem with the 8 week suspension is that it’s a bet each way. If the judiciary genuinely believe he has deliberately attacked a players eyes then yes it should be a lot longer. If they don’t think it was an eye gouge then it should be a fine. 8 weeks is a middle ground that says - we aren’t sure whether or not it was deliberate so we will meet in the middle somewhere.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: September 11, 2019, 7:45 pm

Red Raider, that is a massive change in the standards. I don't mind that at all... but just earlier this year, there were just two posters on this forum - as I recall - suggesting that an old fashioned facial from a Raiders player on an opposition player who had a severely broken nose was inappropriate. I was attacked from all sides for suggesting that this was not what we want to see from a Raiders player. That facials shouldn't be permitted in 2019. There weren't people saying then that old fashioned facials had to be ruled out of the game. I was told then that's part of the game! I was called all sorts of things for my view on it.

I certainly think facials should be ruled out of the game. But the inconsistencies in the MRC, the judiciary, and the wider rugby league community - and even around here - on this have certainly not taken that view to date.
I’ll put my hand up to say I got a good chuckle out of the Fergo facial but your point is a very good one. What happens if in the act of dishing out a good old nose smearing your finger accidentally catches an eye? It’s not an eye gouge it’s just a facial gone wrong. You’re right GE - There isn’t a middle ground here.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I thought Ikin’s explanation was pretty thin on NRL 360 tonight. Transparently thin. But at least Ricky and Benny have spoken and it seems to be sort of patched up. The bottom line is there were a lot worse comments made than Ikin’s. Reni Maitua at the top of the heap.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I love that GE keeps coming back to this facial thing, it hasn’t landed once in the 40 times he’s thrown it out, but the commitment to that bit is impressive
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PigRickman wrote: September 11, 2019, 8:11 pm I love that GE keeps coming back to this facial thing, it hasn’t landed once in the 40 times he’s thrown it out, but the commitment to that bit is impressive
Don’t worry, I know I’m right and only two people were right.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

lf you say so, skip.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Some if the nonsense being thrown around in this thread to excuse HY's actions are downright embarrassing.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:
PigRickman wrote: September 11, 2019, 8:11 pm I love that GE keeps coming back to this facial thing, it hasn’t landed once in the 40 times he’s thrown it out, but the commitment to that bit is impressive
Yep, GE’s right.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Phil Gould is fuming they didn't admit Adam Pompey's evidence at the judiciary last night.

LISTEN TO SIX TACKLES WITH GUS: https://wwos.nine.com.au/podcasts/six-t ... cial-NRLFS
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Hudson Young suspended for eight weeks

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:
Yup, me and you, Ferg. We were the only two calling it out as garbage and it was

Giving a bloke with a broken nose a facial is garbage behaviour, I don’t care that it’s Blake Ferguson

If it happened to Jordan Rapana this forum would collectively lose their minds
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Look you’ve got the moral high ground and you were right about the facials.

But Ferguson copping it is still different to Rapana copping it.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Can't believe he only got 8 weeks.

Whether or not you believe it was unintentional is largely irrelevant. The guy is an idiot for going anywhere near Pompey's eyes. It looked really, really ordinary on replay.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 11, 2019, 11:35 pm
Whether or not you believe it was unintentional is largely irrelevant.
Intentional = setting out to stick your fingers in a players eyes. Making a decision to attack the eyes and doing it.

Unintentional = a tackle gone wrong where you find your hands in a bad position.

You honestly believe the difference is irrelevant? Did you apply the same logic to Cotric’s spear tackle earlier this year? The spear tackle also looked very ordinary on replay but everyone agreed it was unfortunate and unintentional. If there was any thought that Cotric intended to spear a player into the turf like that I suspect he’d still be on suspension. How can you possibly say intention is irrelevant?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Haha..... and realising you've put your hands in the wrong position you go back for a second crack.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: September 11, 2019, 7:45 pm

GE, Yes it is a 'massive change in the standards' and one worth doing imo. Jim Comans once cleaned up the game with such a 'high penalty'
method and I reckon it is needed again. I recall being on holidays with the Grand Kids about the time of the Eels match so the Greenhouse was not top of mind. Without trying to go back and find what was said, I doubt I would have been among those bagging you about players attacking the injury of another player. (awaits confirmation of what was said at the time). We disagree around State of Origin time, about Crokers Captaincy etc but I don't think we disagree about deliberate harm being caused to players.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Billy Walker wrote: September 11, 2019, 7:49 pm

Playing Devil’s advocate here Red, I’d imagine in a contact sport you’d accept there is always going to be some level of incidental or accidental contact with the head. For a genuine eye gouge where there is no doubt a player is deliberately attacking the eyes of a player I’m happy to support any length ban you propose including a life ban. I think it gets tricky where there is a blurred line between what is deliberate and what is accidental and incidental contact.

I respect the views on here that Young knew exactly what he was doing and got off lightly. I don’t agree with those views. I believe there was a case for Young to find his hands in that unfortunate area given he was trying to hold Pompey up. Pompey’s evidence also carries enormous weight in my books. I even give great regard to Ricky’s opinion given he seems a very honourable man and knows Young better than I do.

Perhaps I’m wrong and Young knew exactly what he was doing but your mandatory sentences become troublesome if there is any area of grey in the incident.

My problem with the 8 week suspension is that it’s a bet each way. If the judiciary genuinely believe he has deliberately attacked a players eyes then yes it should be a lot longer. If they don’t think it was an eye gouge then it should be a fine. 8 weeks is a middle ground that says - we aren’t sure whether or not it was deliberate so we will meet in the middle somewhere.
Billy I am talking about deliberate eye gouge or rake of the face. The accidental is very different to a player caught in a tackle or going over for a try and then the hand is used like a claw to rake at the face of an opponent. It was sheer luck Young did not make contact with the eyes of Pompey. The game is tough enough without this garbage imo. The punch is now gone, so is the shoulder charge. Attacking the face of an opponent should also be gone imo.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

RedRaider wrote: September 12, 2019, 8:14 am
Billy Walker wrote: September 11, 2019, 7:49 pm

Billy I am talking about deliberate eye gouge or rake of the face. The accidental is very different to a player caught in a tackle or going over for a try and then the hand is used like a claw to rake at the face of an opponent. It was sheer luck Young did not make contact with the eyes of Pompey. The game is tough enough without this garbage imo. The punch is now gone, so is the shoulder charge. Attacking the face of an opponent should also be gone imo.
We possibly have differing views around Young’s intent, but I think we are on the same page in regards to deliberate attacks on the head. You do tend to make a lot of good sense on these things and I appreciate hearing your views 😉
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Billy Walker wrote: September 12, 2019, 6:46 am
Seiffert82 wrote: September 11, 2019, 11:35 pm
Whether or not you believe it was unintentional is largely irrelevant.
Intentional = setting out to stick your fingers in a players eyes. Making a decision to attack the eyes and doing it.

Unintentional = a tackle gone wrong where you find your hands in a bad position.

You honestly believe the difference is irrelevant? Did you apply the same logic to Cotric’s spear tackle earlier this year? The spear tackle also looked very ordinary on replay but everyone agreed it was unfortunate and unintentional. If there was any thought that Cotric intended to spear a player into the turf like that I suspect he’d still be on suspension. How can you possibly say intention is irrelevant?
In this case it's irrelevant because you can't objectively determine whether it was intentional or not.

On one hand it looked intentional on the footage, and he went back for seconds. On the other hand, the victim gave evidence that he didn't feel anything.

My point is the guy has history, so through on the balance of probability I can see why the judiciary deemed it an attempted eye gouge. The fact the recipient wasn't injured probably helped in Young receiving a relatively lenient punishment.

**** way to miss a finals series. Hopefully lesson learnt.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

End of the day it was a stupid thing to do. Just stupid.

Hope he never does it again.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Hudson Young I know — and he’s nothing like you think, says Canberra Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson
Josh Hodgson

Ricky didn’t sugarcoat it. He tells us straight when we’ve got it wrong and that game against the Warriors last weekend was one of those.

We’ll be without Hudson Young for this weekend. I wanted to put my arm around him and make sure he’s all right. He’s still just a 21-year-old kid who is starting out in this game, and he will learn from his mistakes and hopefully come back hungrier.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/opinio ... 8a7eebc2d3

Canberra forward Hudson Young, coach Ricky Stuart grilled by Willie Mason and Reni Maitua: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ac94cbabc1

Ben Ikin reveals phone call with raging Ricky Stuart which ‘felt like three hours’: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 36a6e2f085
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: September 12, 2019, 4:36 pm Canberra forward Hudson Young, coach Ricky Stuart grilled by Willie Mason and Reni Maitua: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ac94cbabc1
You'd think after Reni Maitua disgraced himself earlier in the week, that he might show more discretion on this matter, but no. He's apologised for saying Hudson Young should have left the field in a body bag... but seems to be standing by the comment that he should "have a target put on this back". Is it any surprise that he and Willie Mason have teamed up to produce some sort of "show".

The other thing I'll say is this. Reni Maitua has a very poor record with off field behaviour... which he acknowledges. But seems to think he can say what he likes about on field incidents. Now, the very sad thing about Reni Maitua's life is that he has been a sufferer of depression... and so bad has it been that he nearly took his own life in the past. I hope he's dealing with that well, and that is behind him. But you would think, that a person who has been at such a point in their life would have a bit more compassion about the impact of what they say on another young person.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: September 12, 2019, 4:59 pm
greeneyed wrote: September 12, 2019, 4:36 pm Canberra forward Hudson Young, coach Ricky Stuart grilled by Willie Mason and Reni Maitua: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ac94cbabc1
You'd think after Reni Maitua disgraced himself earlier in the week, that he might show more discretion on this matter, but no. He's apologised for saying Hudson Young should have left the field in a body bag... but seems to be standing by the comment that he should "have a target put on this back". Is it any surprise that he and Willie Mason have teamed up to produce some sort of "show".

The other thing I'll say is this. Reni Maitua has a very poor record with off field behaviour... which he acknowledges. But seems to think he can say what he likes about on field incidents. Now, the very sad thing about Reni Maitua's life is that he has been a sufferer of depression... and so bad has it been that he nearly took his own life in the past. I hope he's dealing with that well, and that is behind him. But you would think, that a person who has been at such a point in their life would have a bit more compassion about the impact of what they say on another young person.
Very well said
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: September 12, 2019, 4:59 pm

Reni Maitua is trying to carve himself out a role in the media. He's got no concern for anything but that right now.
I've heard some of his work, and spewing nonsense is probably his best bet to achieve his goal, but i would say he should be preparing a plan b.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fox League continue to use him. He appeared on NRL Tonight this evening, right through the show. I switched off, flicked back a couple of times to see if he was still there... and so I effectively did not watch the show. After that, I won't be watching anything he appears in.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Why is there no appetite for sensible, well spoken, quality people like Alan Tounge in NRL media. It seems you can only get a gig if you didn’t study English beyond year 8 and have some form of rouge past.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: September 12, 2019, 7:41 pm Fox League continue to use him. He appeared on NRL Tonight this evening, right through the show. I switched off, flicked back a couple of times to see if he was still there... and so I effectively did not watch the show. After that, I won't be watching anything he appears in.
hmm... that's troubling. I dont watch any of these "talk show" things and i had assumed this clown would wash himself out soon enough.
Reni Maitua was never good enough, and is not smart enough, or interesting enough to provide a POV that is worth a pinch of **** for the fan on the couch. I'd love to go behind the scenes around how they pick these guys.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: September 12, 2019, 7:52 pm Why is there no appetite for sensible, well spoken, quality people like Alan Tounge in NRL media. It seems you can only get a gig if you didn’t study English beyond year 8 and have some form of rouge past.
Moulin Rouge?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Reni is a complete waste of airtime. Surely there’s someone out there with more football nous than him. My dirty left sock for example.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

BJ wrote:Reni is a complete waste of airtime. Surely there’s someone out there with more football nous than him. My dirty left sock for example.
What happened to the other sock?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

raiderskater wrote: September 11, 2019, 7:09 pm I have no issues with the conviction; it was obvious he did it. I was surprised at the penalty; 8 weeks is lighter than I expected.

I am massively uncomfortable with the chair of the judiciary effectively calling Pompey a liar out of "player loyalty", particularly when earlier this year, Munster refusing to make a complaint was the reason McGuire got a fine. And Munster and McGuire have actual ties of loyalty (QLD Origin), as opposed to Pompey and Young, who as far as I know, have no ties beyond that they were opponents last weekend.

It really is a kangaroo court and something needs to be done about it.
I have plenty of problems wth the conviction. People seem to misunderstand how a judiciary/court should work.

He was charged with an eye gouge. To find him guilty there has be firm evidence of an eye gouge. You see video of hands in face. But he has a plausible alternate explanation for that (trying to hold him up).

Other evidence:

No injury/mark on opposition player's eye/face
No reaction from opposition player
Opposition player testifies and says it was not an eye gouge.

That is the end of the story. Not guilty. In no court/judiciary in the world should you possibly be found guilty after that set of evidence is presented.

You may not like it. It might look bad and It might upset Brett Finch. You may even think he got away with one because the other player wasn't telling the truth. Doesn't matter - not guilty!
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 11, 2019, 11:35 pm Can't believe he only got 8 weeks.

Whether or not you believe it was unintentional is largely irrelevant. The guy is an idiot for going anywhere near Pompey's eyes. It looked really, really ordinary on replay.
people are paying way too much attention to the way it looked (and their feelings/reaction), and not enough to the logical weight of all the other evidence. This is a typical cognitive bias as we have lots of brain space dedicated to vision, and it looked icky.

But all of the other evidence suggests no gouge. His explanation of trying to hold him up accounts for the visuals (but doesn't seem to match the initial icky feeling, so seems less believable). It was a terrible judiciary decision, from a legal/criminal justice standards viewpoint.

And if he didn't have the prior incident he would never have been found guilty. Which suggests he should never have been found guilty. Prior record helps determine penalty once found guilty. It should not influence verdict.