2019 NRL Round 25 - Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2019 NRL Round 25 - Teams and Game Day

Post by Botman »

I dont think he was around long enough to really judge the rebuild at the tigers, its not too far different to Stuart at Parra... you've got no idea if that rebuild would have been a success or not

He was there for two years, and in that two years he got more wins out of that team than any reasonable person could expect.
As for 800k, i believe in Mybe's case the bulldogs are covering a signficant amount of freight, i believe 250k was the figure quoted at the time, so Mybe wasnt brought in by Cleary at 800k, he's about 550k and he's now a SOO utility. That's not horrendous value by any stretch, especially for a rebuilding club who had approximately ALLL the cap space because Moses, Woods and Tedesco all walked on them at the same time.

Reynolds was a bit different, and no doubt that deal isnt super great, but again, it hasnt impeded their rebuild at all, they've got plenty of cap space, which is probably why they took a gamble on a deal like this and then a high talent player like Mybe with the dogs paying significant freight.

Again, i dont know how the **** you say he botched the rebuild when he was only 18 months into it when it became clear he'd be coaching the panthers. THat'd be like saying June this year, that Dean Pay had botched the rebuild at the dogs... maybe he will, maybe he wont but we've got no **** idea how that ends up... all we know is the squad was miserable and lacked talent up and down the roster and he got more wins out of it than anyone could have ever dreamed of.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

The Dogs have been reported to be covering $175k for Mbye: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/reveal ... 518h2.html

SOO or not... he's still ordinary. Very ordinary. We wouldn't want him here. Add to that he bought back the farm by signing an ageing Benji and Robbie. Signed two crocks in McQueen and Matulino for huge money. He should've been working on setting a decent young spine with some decent young forwards.

The point about getting more wins than expected goes back to my original argument - it's not something a coach should be hanging their hat on and use to show they're a great coach. You don't win anything by getting a team to punch above their weight, apart from some moral brownie points, and it doesn't prove that you can achieve more with different players. It's something I've never really understood the fascination sports fans have with it.

The hardest thing to do in the game is to constantly rebuild a side and have them motivated and focused enough to keep winning, which is what coaches like Bellamy do. That's where the pressure and expectations are at their greatest, and the mentality required is at peak difficulty.

Getting to mid table with a bunch of strugglers that YOU'VE helped assemble, which makes you an afterthought and thus has no one expect anything of you? That's Ivan Cleary. He's seemingly made a career out of it.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

According to this, it's 250k: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 19b119c0a6

Either way, Cleary bought in him as a reduced rate because he needed talent.

He got 18 months into that rebuild job, got better than expected results. He's got some bad coaching jobs on his record, the penrith stints have been been a disaster so far... i would stick to those jobs in making the case that Cleary sucks, because i think most reasonable people would say he was doing good work at the tigers (save for the bailing on them in pretty **** circumstances to coach his son! obviously that part was pretty **** poor!)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Yup, every tigers fan I know was furious he was leaving, that’s a sign of a good coach IMO
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Two main reasons for Tigers fans had for being upset were that he left so soon, when the club was crying out for stability following Mick Potter and Jason Taylor’s failed stints, full of turmoil.

Secondly, they didn’t get Nathan Cleary who it was very obvious was going to be working with his dad.

The club and fans felt burnt and it was fair enough.

I wouldn’t call that a decent barometer to measure how good a coach he is.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

They landed on their feet ok with the panthers paying some of Madge's salary.