Hudson Young suspended for eight weeks

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: Hudson Young referred straight to judiciary

Post by RedRaider »

Pete Cash wrote: September 10, 2019, 11:25 pm
RedRaider wrote: September 10, 2019, 10:42 pm So the NRL punishment is 8 matches. What will the Raiders do with the multi-offender? Imo we should get the perpetrators of eye gouges and face rakes out of the game. He had a potential role in our first finals series in 3 years. He chose to be a grub. Tear up his contract or hock him to ESL. He has put an unwanted stain on the lime green jersey.
Can we legally just "rip up" a contract? Im sure they all have behavioural clauses and the like but for an on field incident im slightly more doubtful
Pete, there was once a Players clause about bringing the game into disrepute. Eye gouging and face rakes do exactly that imo. The multiple offenders like McGuire, Burgess and Young should be removed from the NRL.
Players should not need Safety Goggles to play Rugby League.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

8 weeks is fair in my opinion. I actually don't think he gouged Pompey but he had no right going back for that second crack, especially considering his history.

I still can't believe that McGuire only copped fines earlier this year though. I believe the Munster one was as bad as the Burgess/Farah one.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

8weeks..you dodged a bullet young Young.
Hey do trial games count as part of this suspension ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: September 11, 2019, 12:32 am I'm glad the club has done all they can to defend Hudson Young. He's a good young bloke and has been through an awful lot with the media hysteria... and some really horrible "commentary" from people in the media. Heart goes out to him and his family. I think Ricky Stuart will take the right steps from here... I've got every faith that he will and will help Young develop further as a player with the Raiders and as a person. I think the club has done the right thing and will do the right thing.
Stickys track record is that he will defend and stick with those who are on the grub side of the ledger. He has been Ricky the Rock in support of the likes of Paul Gallen and Greg Bird in the past. With Stickys contract extension we can now expect a long career for Young at the Raiders, no matter what he does.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

gergreg wrote: September 11, 2019, 6:24 am What is all this poor Hudson Bull?
Let me just say I speak with some actual knowledge on this issue. I am vision impaired, have been for over 30 years and will be for the rest of my life. There is simply no place in the game for someone sticking their fingers in the eye region. It is completely unnecessary, this is his third offence. The league should be harsher on all 3 blokes who have done it, noting that all 3 are repeat offenders they should all be sitting out for close to a year. I don't care how good a bloke he might be. He can still be a good bloke not playing rugby league.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Gergreg - I’m sorry to hear about your vision impairment, I genuinely can only imagine the impact that would have on life. I don’t have vision impairment and I am grateful for that and never take it for granted. I don’t know a thing about Adam Pompey but I would find it hard to believe he would value his eyesight any less than you or I would. I’m not opposed to the concept of what happens on the field staying on the field but no way does that extend to someone messing with your eyes. Given everyone agrees the eyes are sacred and eye gouging can never be tolerated, I truly would have thought Pompey’s very strong evidence that he didn’t feel anything and wasn’t at all concerned by the incident would have carried more weight.

In any case - it is what it is now and the priorities need to be supporting Young and beating the Storm.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

My eyes ain't great either, I wear glasses now full time.

And when on the beers I see double everything

HY just got damn lucky..8 weeks..Pffffft
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Hudson Young referred straight to judiciary

Post by The Nickman »

8 weeks is about 4 weeks light on IMO, but I think the fact the judiciary has been a complete farce this season in regards to eye gouges has absolutely played in Hudson’s favour

Next year the NRL needs to be a lot stricter on this, for everyone involved
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

I think Young can count himself very lucky with that outcome. 8 weeks is on the lower end. I think a trial game counts, so given we are most likely to play 3 more games this year, he will only miss the first 4 rounds of next season, which is very lenient. Not sure what he was thinking, whatever the club says, this has been a distraction in finals week. He seems like a well spoken and good kid (as well as a solid first grader), but he needs to clean up as soon as possible - feels like he gets white line fever.

In saying that, the whole judicial process is stuffed. I really think there has to be some rules brought in regarding media commentary on incidents - it is pre-judicial and hearing Finch go on about it set the tone for the next few days, which is not fair on the player who deserves a fair hearing. Not sure what can be done, but trial by media is not fair.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I'm not sure about exact numbers but is it fair to say HY has been suspended for more games now then what he's actually played..

That's gold..
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Breaking news...

Canberra Raiders announce they will play 7 trial games in 2020.

Hudson Young free to return Rnd1.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Go read his Wikipedia page...
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

-PJ- wrote: September 11, 2019, 7:31 am Breaking news...

Canberra Raiders announce they will play 7 trial games in 2020.

Hudson Young free to return Rnd1.
:roflmao :clap:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: September 11, 2019, 7:26 am 8 weeks is about 4 weeks light on IMO, but I think the fact the judiciary has been a complete farce this season in regards to eye gouges has absolutely played in Hudson’s favour

1000% agree
The decision is defensible in context with how they’ve handled this all year long but boy changes for how they handle gouges is a must this off season
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

-PJ- wrote:Go read his Wikipedia page...
Thats mean

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

PigRickman wrote: September 11, 2019, 8:08 am
The Rickman wrote: September 11, 2019, 7:26 am 8 weeks is about 4 weeks light on IMO, but I think the fact the judiciary has been a complete farce this season in regards to eye gouges has absolutely played in Hudson’s favour

1000% agree
The decision is defensible in context with how they’ve handled this all year long but boy changes for how they handle gouges is a must this off season
I’m glad you two 1000% agree with each other - it’s really nice to see 😉
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

EVH wrote: September 11, 2019, 2:03 am Brett Finch's commentary on HY was deplorable, it's your job as a commentator to stay neutral on everything, I mean, ****. Saying that he deserved to cop a hit to face? It was just so amateur to demonize HY's actions whilst saying he deserved something the NRL is so staunchly trying to removing from the game. I am sick to death of the Fox 24 hour news cycle
Could not disagree more.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

1000% agree
True they need to come down harder, particularly for repeat offenders. However if they do so it needs to be made clear that it will be the case from now on. You can't suddenly make an example of one player based on media reaction after letting other recent cases off so lightly.

They completely ballsed up the McGuire cases by relying on a player to make an "official complaint" for it to be classed as an eye gouge. They then took a harder stance in Burgess and gave him a somewhat light penalty of 9 weeks. That created a new standard which put them in a difficult position with Young. They couldn't hand down a tougher penalty for a lesser incident. So they took the easy path and gave him 1 week less than Burgess.

They now have to come out and publicly announced that future penalties will be harsher for repeat offenders. No excuses for any player after that.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Looking at the positive, I’m of the opinion that at full strength he doesn’t make the 17 anyway and he possibly would’ve if available. I know plenty don’t agree.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

He was always going to be dropped when Tapine came back.

Reading the blog from the judiciary as it was happening I thought there was going to be a miracle and he would get off. I thought it was a good argument from his lawyer and it appears they have dismissed that evidence they presented.

In saying that the video footage looks appalling and the 8 weeks are justified.
raidersmalt
Brett Mullins

Post by raidersmalt »

8 weeks is very very lucky. Deserves more in my opinion.

The fact that it wasn't a successful eye gouge is besidesd the point, it was attempted, he shoud be gone.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: September 11, 2019, 9:08 am

1000% agree
True they need to come down harder, particularly for repeat offenders. However if they do so it needs to be made clear that it will be the case from now on. You can't suddenly make an example of one player based on media reaction after letting other recent cases off so lightly.

They completely ballsed up the McGuire cases by relying on a player to make an "official complaint" for it to be classed as an eye gouge. They then took a harder stance in Burgess and gave him a somewhat light penalty of 9 weeks. That created a new standard which put them in a difficult position with Young. They couldn't hand down a tougher penalty for a lesser incident. So they took the easy path and gave him 1 week less than Burgess.

They now have to come out and publicly announced that future penalties will be harsher for repeat offenders. No excuses for any player after that.
I dont even think it can be in season tbh... the paramaters around gauging have been set in stone now for 2019.
However i think as part of the standard review post GF, they should be looking at beefing up the points on these charges significantly. As i said, id favor 2 grades of charge

Where the contact is deemed purposeful and/or avoidable to the eye region and where a clear gauging action takes place, it's a grade 2 and a base penalty of 2400 points
Where the contact is deemed purposeful and/or avoidable to the eye region and where no clear gauging action takes place, it's a grade 1 and a base penalty of 1200 points
Where contact is deemed accidental and/or unavoidable to the eye region and where no clear gauging action takes place, no charge is laid.

Basically, you put your hands up into the eye region of the player and make a gauging action, you're **** cooked.
raider dos
Terry Campese

Post by raider dos »

PigRickman wrote: September 11, 2019, 9:45 am
Northern Raider wrote: September 11, 2019, 9:08 am

1000% agree

I dont even think it can be in season tbh... the paramaters around gauging have been set in stone now for 2019.
However i think as part of the standard review post GF, they should be looking at beefing up the points on these charges significantly. As i said, id favor 2 grades of charge

Where the contact is deemed purposeful and/or avoidable to the eye region and where a clear gauging action takes place, it's a grade 2 and a base penalty of 2400 points
Where the contact is deemed purposeful and/or avoidable to the eye region and where no clear gauging action takes place, it's a grade 1 and a base penalty of 1200 points
Where contact is deemed accidental and/or unavoidable to the eye region and where no clear gauging action takes place, no charge is laid.

Basically, you put your hands up into the eye region of the player and make a gauging action, you're **** cooked.
It seems so bizarre that this isn't already the standard for contact with the eyes, after how much so many have blown up since Saturday.

Surely if this were the parameters that everyone knew then it just wouldn't happen as often, or, if it did the perpetrators would be out on their ****.

Seems logical to me.
BJ
Steve Walters

Hudson Young suspended for eight weeks

Post by BJ »

As a ‘one eyed’ Raiders supporter, I hope this decision starts the NRL to crack down on all facials. With any eye contact (even accidental) seen as a mandatory suspension.

Obviously accidental eye pokes would be a 1 week base charge that an early guilty plea would resolve.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Hudson Young suspended for eight weeks

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart offended by Ben Ikin's remarks

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has fired off at the critics of disgraced forward Hudson Young including NRL360 host Ben Ikin by saying he is offended by having his integrity questioned.

"I cop the judiciary verdict but don’t agree with it. And I don’t appreciate Ben Ikin on Fox Sports sarcastically questioning my integrity... I’m an honest bloke and Ikin tried to play the ‘coach looking after his player’ card which I believe from his so called standing in the game is unprofessional in attacking my character."

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... de0910caee

The eight words from Ben Ikin that upset Ricky Stuart: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1f2e76211f

Scrap the judiciary: James Graham calls for NRL to end ‘embarrassing’ farce: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b8f4d301cc
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Good on Ricky!!

It’s illegal to discuss opinion on a law matter before it goes before a court.

That will never happen in sports as it is this drama and speculation that engages fans on website, provides content for talk shows and sells paper.

That aside there needs to be some level of common decency around the commentary from people of influence in the media.

It’s hard to imagine the judiciary wasn’t influenced by the public outrage.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Good on him. Apart from being something I agree with, I also think it is a tactic to take pressure off the players - something all good coaches do.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Really, really disappointed with Young's comments after that verdict was given, above all.

He could've showed some contrition and vowed not to do this again. The act was cut and try, there is no ambiguity. He's done this multiple times now and I feel he's learned nothing from it. I'm not expecting players to be saints, but there needs to be some kind of capacity to change behaviour.

This surely has to be last chance.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Mr Young should buy a lottery ticket today...
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

afgtnk wrote: September 11, 2019, 1:06 pm Really, really disappointed with Young's comments after that verdict was given, above all.

He could've showed some contrition and vowed not to do this again. The act was cut and try, there is no ambiguity. He's done this multiple times now and I feel he's learned nothing from it. I'm not expecting players to be saints, but there needs to be some kind of capacity to change behaviour.

This surely has to be last chance.
I don’t follow your logic regarding his comments mate. Wouldn’t it be worse if he changed his story post hearing? After spending 2 hours saying he’s innocent and didn’t eye gouge to then turn around and own it and effectively say “yeah I did it but won’t do it again” would burn all credibility and make him a liar.

If he truly believes he was innocent I think it’s fair for him to thank those involved but note his disappointment with the outcome like he did.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Out of last weeks game we lost Oldfield to shoulder injury for the season and Young to suspension. I’m hearing rumours Don Furner is working with sport scientists and surgeons to add a composite player to the squad as a replacement for the remainder of the season. It’s highly experimental and quite controversial but essentially involves putting a young head on old shoulders.....

🤔
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

sprintman wrote: September 11, 2019, 1:29 pm Mr Young should buy a lottery ticket today...
I reckon an airline ticket out of Canberra.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha I've never seen Red more fired up. Tute on, Red... tute on!!
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Billy Walker wrote: September 11, 2019, 1:41 pm Out of last weeks game we lost Oldfield to shoulder injury for the season and Young to suspension. I’m hearing rumours Don Furner is working with sport scientists and surgeons to add a composite player to the squad as a replacement for the remainder of the season. It’s highly experimental and quite controversial but essentially involves putting a young head on old shoulders.....

🤔
Putting the "eye gouging" decision maker on top of the shoulder that needs medical intervention is not Don's finest hour.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Billy Walker wrote:Good on Ricky!!

That will never happen in sports as it is this drama and speculation that engages fans on website, provides content for talk shows and sells paper.

That aside there needs to be some level of common decency around the commentary from people of influence in the media.

This is what I don't get. Just who has the judiciary been influenced by, when there are/were mixed opinions on the punishment he should have received. Some people have said he shouldn't be even charged and some say he should get 20 weeks.

Just looking at the outcome, in my opinion, the judiciary has not been influenced by anybody.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: September 11, 2019, 1:46 pm
Billy Walker wrote:Good on Ricky!!

This is what I don't get. Just who has the judiciary been influenced by, when there are/were mixed opinions on the punishment he should have received. Some people have said he shouldn't be even charged and some say he should get 20 weeks.

Just looking at the outcome, in my opinion, the judiciary has not been influenced by anybody.

Haha it's ludicrous. It wasn't "trial by media" in the slightest. At the end of the day he's very LUCKY to not get 12+ weeks, and the reason he didn't was because we had a very good lawyer.