Jordan Rapana re-joins Canberra Raiders for 2020 on short-term deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Rapana eyes Japan rugby union switch

Post by dubby »

There's been plenty of gossip surrounding Rapana, and I'm of the opinion he's certainly looking at options, but nothing has really landed for him.

It seems the club are happy to let him chase the big dollars he could earn elsewhere, which I'm ok with. He's played extremely well for us and is a huge favorite of mine. If a 30 year old winger can earn heaps more elsewhere, let him go. We did the same with Shifcofske.

That said, I dearly hope his body can mend and he gets back to his best and stays with us.

I love his energy, competitive nature, and enthusiasm. He and BJ bring that x factor that was pivotal to us in 16.

I like Oldfield, but he's a good backup. I don't think I want him fulltime on the wing in NRL. Kris is learning, but be strikes me as a better center.

I honestly think Cotric prefers the wing anyway. With Simmonsen and Cotric on the wings we look fine.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Raiders didn't let Schifcofske go... he walked out early, which was permitted under the terms of his contract.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

He's been a great plater for us and at 30, with all the injuries he's sustained, he might have two more years in him if he stays in the NRL.

If he goes to Japanese Rugby, his career could extend into his late 30s. Wingers in Union are more likely to catch a cold than a pass from a team mate (TIC). Plus, apart from the imported players, Japanese players are much lighter.

Good luck to him either way.

I saw enough of Simonnsen yesterday to feel comfortable that there is a replacement waiting to step up, even though he was at fullback.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Rapana is a world class winger possibly one of the best ever, Simonssen is a rookie who shows promise but at this stage of his career isn’t fit to shine Rapana’s boots.

The comparisons are absurd, no different to when people were calling for Dugan to be let go because we had found an adequate replacement in Reece Robinson. How’d that one turn out?

I like Simonsson but he is very raw and while he shows glimpses, I haven’t seen anything yet to indicate he’s got star qualities. Rapana is only 30, last week we got dominated by Morris who is 35, Raps has at least 3 years in him at the highest level and we should try everything to keep him (and BJ) at the club. At this stage a back line that consists of Simonsson-Cotric-Croker-Oldfield would make us solid contenders for the wooden spoon.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote:The Raiders didn't let Schifcofske go... he walked out early, which was permitted under the terms of his contract.
They let him go. He had a massive offer to leave, DFJ understood and didn't stand in his way.

Mind you, I was filthy with how he left. Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

dubby wrote:
greeneyed wrote:The Raiders didn't let Schifcofske go... he walked out early, which was permitted under the terms of his contract.
They let him go. He had a massive offer to leave, DFJ understood and didn't stand in his way.

Mind you, I was filthy with how he left. Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

No he walked out on the club because *correction* Matt Elliott was no longer the coach, and he had a “coach clause” in his contract.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Matt Elliott?

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote:A blue friend of mine told me about this about a week ago, said the plan was for him to play Jap Rugby and then come back into the Raiders team before june 30 to finish the season off with us on a reduced deal
That blue friend of yours has also never once given you a correct scoop either, so let’s take this one with a grain of salt too
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

say it
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Haha should’ve read the whole thread first.... ****ITALL!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

julian87 wrote: September 8, 2019, 7:53 am If he goes there, bags some cash and then returns it’s probably the best outcome for him and us.
Yup, means we get our guy for less as we're only paying him for half a season but rapana still gets his much deserved pay day, normally you'd worry that we'd miss him early on in the season but I think our depth is pretty good out wide with Simmonsson, Oldy and Kris as well as smith shields coming through they should be able to hold there own.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

There is some noise about him returning to the nrl. Not sure if this is more reputable than pigs blue friend but there may be something in it

https://www.zerotackle.com/report-raide ... 48514/amp/
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Wasn’t there a player blocked from doing something like that in the past ?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Sid wrote:Wasn’t there a player blocked from doing something like that in the past ?
Maybe Benji years ago but the NRL sat idly by while SBW did exactly the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Good luck to the NRL winning a court case if they tried to block him.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Why would the NRL block it. If a player wants to back themselves with 1 season deals like that who is it hurting?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Rapana eyes Japan rugby union switch

Post by gangrenous »

Equity for the salary cap?

You think it was fair that the Roosters could add SBW on a fraction of his true cost to their finals team?

The NRL should never have allowed it. But since they did, let’s do it.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Reading back on the Benji case it seems like the Tigers wanted to do it while he was still on contract. So it's a little different, the Rapana example would be a text book restraint of trade.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

It’s pretty obvious that’s he’s gone. Remember the last guy that turned down a more than fair offer from us? I like tap Ana but turning down 500k a year was a poor move.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Riaan wrote: September 9, 2019, 8:57 am It’s pretty obvious that’s he’s gone. Remember the last guy that turned down a more than fair offer from us? I like tap Ana but turning down 500k a year was a poor move.
It's a bit soon to make that call, he could make a lot more and still play half a season for us.
T_R
Don Furner

Re: Rapana eyes Japan rugby switch

Post by T_R »

dubby wrote: September 7, 2019, 10:30 pm
T_R wrote:Bit of a glamour club in Japanese rugby, but located in a complete armpit of a city

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Not being smart, but how do you get a glamour club in an armpit of a city? What city is it anyway?

I thought all Japanese cities would be better then anything we could do, TBH.
It would be like taking the Broncos and shifting them to Ipswich. Ota is an almost-satellite city of Tokyo, filled with people making 90 minute commutes morning and night to their work in the big smoke. It's baking hot and grossly humid in summer. I'd imagine that most of the players would base themselves in western Tokyo and commute out against the traffic.

I used to date a girl from out that way who was into some fairly unusual stuff. If this is typical of people there, it may well be a major attraction for the area.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: September 9, 2019, 10:19 am
T_R wrote:Bit of a glamour club in Japanese rugby, but located in a complete armpit of a city

Not being smart, but how do you get a glamour club in an armpit of a city? What city is it anyway?

It would be like taking the Broncos and shifting them to Ipswich. Ota is an almost-satellite city of Tokyo, filled with people making 90 minute commutes morning and night to their work in the big smoke. It's baking hot and grossly humid in summer. I'd imagine that most of the players would base themselves in western Tokyo and commute out against the traffic.

I used to date a girl from out that way who was into some fairly unusual stuff. If this is typical of people there, it may well be a major attraction for the area.
Well OBVIOUSLY she was into unusual stuff.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Rickman wrote: September 9, 2019, 10:20 am
T_R wrote: September 9, 2019, 10:19 am

Well OBVIOUSLY she was into unusual stuff.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Riaan wrote: I like tap Ana but turning down 500k a year was a poor move.
Not sure why you need to objectify Ana publicly like this Image
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

edwahu wrote: September 9, 2019, 8:35 am Reading back on the Benji case it seems like the Tigers wanted to do it while he was still on contract. So it's a little different, the Rapana example would be a text book restraint of trade.
It’s an interesting angle. What is stopping Cam Smith playing on a 50c Storm contract but picking up $2.5m a season from the indoor cricket team he is released to plays for over the off season that is backed by a deep pocketed club sponsor?
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

T_R wrote:

Ugh. Point well taken.

Ipswich is an armpit of a place.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

They try to have the edit match the style of the poster
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Sid wrote:Wasn’t there a player blocked from doing something like that in the past ?
Radradra tried I think

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Doesn’t the NRL place some kid of arbitrary market value on a player to ensure they’re not signed to massive unders??

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

rayden83 wrote: September 8, 2019, 1:36 pm Rapana is a world class winger possibly one of the best ever, Simonssen is a rookie who shows promise but at this stage of his career isn’t fit to shine Rapana’s boots.

The comparisons are absurd, no different to when people were calling for Dugan to be let go because we had found an adequate replacement in Reece Robinson. How’d that one turn out?

I like Simonsson but he is very raw and while he shows glimpses, I haven’t seen anything yet to indicate he’s got star qualities. Rapana is only 30, last week we got dominated by Morris who is 35, Raps has at least 3 years in him at the highest level and we should try everything to keep him (and BJ) at the club. At this stage a back line that consists of Simonsson-Cotric-Croker-Oldfield would make us solid contenders for the wooden spoon.
Robinson was never in Dugan's class. People just wanted him to be the silver lining to the black cloud.

Rapana was a world class winger, but this year his form has been nowhere near that quality. Simonnsen has shown plenty of promise. He'd definitely not Jordan Rapana at his best, but he's been arguably better than Rapa this season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rapana wants new Raiders deal over Japanese rugby move

Kiwi international Jordan Rapana is desperate to remain in lime green but concedes Canberra's salary cap pressure may see him turn to Japanese rugby union.

"The contracts and that are still up in the air but I'll tell you right now, this is ideally where I want to be," Rapana said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/10/rap ... continues/
AUSTEZER
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: John Ferguson

Post by AUSTEZER »

I'd prefer Oldiie takes Jordan's place should he defect to Japanese Rugby. Just for his speed alone ,bloke is a rocket in boots.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

AUSTEZER wrote: September 10, 2019, 8:02 pm I'd prefer Oldiie takes Jordan's place should he defect to Japanese Rugby. Just for his speed alone ,bloke is a rocket in boots.
I don't think Stuart and co see it that way, due to Simo's varied talents and must be a freak in the gym/track/training paddock.

But Oldie knows his game, knows where to put himself and how to reach that stripe. He's been found out as a centre defensively but as a winger he's big, strong and just fine. Same with his carries out. His energy and line busting ability are easily as good or better than SImo's single turn backwards at the line (slow down) hit and spin move. Oldie just crashed through.

I'm even stevens here- Simo is better defensively and hands. Oldie better yards and speed. Simo more potential upside but also potentially never quite get it. Oldie knows league. Does his job- well.

I think it's win-win at this point.
AUSTEZER
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: John Ferguson

Post by AUSTEZER »

👍
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

BadnMean wrote: September 10, 2019, 8:24 pm
AUSTEZER wrote: September 10, 2019, 8:02 pm I'd prefer Oldiie takes Jordan's place should he defect to Japanese Rugby. Just for his speed alone ,bloke is a rocket in boots.
I don't think Stuart and co see it that way, due to Simo's varied talents and must be a freak in the gym/track/training paddock.

But Oldie knows his game, knows where to put himself and how to reach that stripe. He's been found out as a centre defensively but as a winger he's big, strong and just fine. Same with his carries out. His energy and line busting ability are easily as good or better than SImo's single turn backwards at the line (slow down) hit and spin move. Oldie just crashed through.

I'm even stevens here- Simo is better defensively and hands. Oldie better yards and speed. Simo more potential upside but also potentially never quite get it. Oldie knows league. Does his job- well.

I think it's win-win at this point.
Oldie certainly had his initial struggles at centre, but I reckon he has been better there than Cotric this year.