Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Re: 2019 Finals Week 1 V Storm: Teams and Previews

Post by Drandyt »

Drandyt wrote: September 9, 2019, 8:13 pm

Code: Select all

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/09/annesleys-warning-to-trainers/
interesting....

whoops, not skilled at this interweb stuff...
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Wow, Nathan Brown talking us up on NRL360

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

What are the odds of Ricky naming Hudson on the bench tomorrow ?

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

28-0 wasn't it last time ?

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 9, 2019, 6:36 pm
Azza wrote: September 9, 2019, 10:07 am Well, I do hope we win. We owe them after that numpty Edrick Lee dropped one with the line wide open in 2016, in a horrible repeat of Bulgarelli-gate.
We were still going to need to score again after Edrick dropped it. Butterfly effect etc... Boogs just dropped the match, although his was a tougher take as it kicked away from him a little.
You're a numpty
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker feels more at home this time

Jarrod Croker was at the 2019 finals launch on Monday, ahead of their qualifying final against the Melbourne Storm in Melbourne on Saturday... and he feels more at home than in 2016.

"I guess I do [feel more at home] a bit, it's a bit more composed. It's a bit like our whole season," Croker said. "It's just been composed and feels like we belong up in that top four.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Five things: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/09 ... s-v-storm/
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Pete Cash wrote: September 8, 2019, 6:45 pm
edwahu wrote: September 8, 2019, 6:08 pm In my opinion Hodgo stuck to the gameplan all year and it got us to 4th. Hodgo not sticking to your game plan isn't the same thing as him not sticking to the teams.
Yes, its obviously this lol

He is doing what Stick wants him to do. Its been quite successful this year.
Well, if the game plan is for him to hog the ball it absolutely sucks, because we look terrible in attack when he does, whereas we look much more balanced and effective when the halves get early ball.

I actually don't think the game plan is for Hodgson to dominate the play out of dummy half with ridiculous trick shots and early attacking kicks given the coach spent much of the past two years publicly imploring Sezer to take control of the team in attack.

Our defence got us to 4th this season. Our attack has been as clunky as I've ever seen it.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: September 10, 2019, 12:13 am Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker feels more at home this time

Jarrod Croker was at the 2019 finals launch on Monday, ahead of their qualifying final against the Melbourne Storm in Melbourne on Saturday... and he feels more at home than in 2016.

"I guess I do [feel more at home] a bit, it's a bit more composed. It's a bit like our whole season," Croker said. "It's just been composed and feels like we belong up in that top four.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Yeah, this is how I've felt about this whole season to be honest and it's a big reason why I think we can win it.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 10, 2019, 2:11 am
Pete Cash wrote: September 8, 2019, 6:45 pm
edwahu wrote: September 8, 2019, 6:08 pm In my opinion Hodgo stuck to the gameplan all year and it got us to 4th. Hodgo not sticking to your game plan isn't the same thing as him not sticking to the teams.
Yes, its obviously this lol

He is doing what Stick wants him to do. Its been quite successful this year.
Well, if the game plan is for him to hog the ball it absolutely sucks, because we look terrible in attack when he does, whereas we look much more balanced and effective when the halves get early ball.

I actually don't think the game plan is for Hodgson to dominate the play out of dummy half with ridiculous trick shots and early attacking kicks given the coach spent much of the past two years publicly imploring Sezer to take control of the team in attack.

Our defence got us to 4th this season. Our attack has been as clunky as I've ever seen it.
Agreed. I absolutely LOVE Hodgo but my biggest criticism with him is the amount of times on fourth or fifth that he has Sezer ready to receive the ball, looks at him, and then goes the other way. It's frustrating and I'm certain it frustrates Sezer too.

Particularly now that Sezer is starting to show some of his old form, he needs plenty of good, early ball in the red-zone.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

In addition to their right side defence and potential weakness with no traditional halfback, their bench forwards (other than Brandon Smith) are not at the same level as their starters, particularly with no Welch. Horsburgh is important - he and Tapine would form a pretty solid prop rotation once the starters are off.

The way the Roosters played them in the GF last year is the way to go. It was the Roosters’ intensity in defence that won them that game - their line speed was phenomenal and they limited metres. Other than Cameron Smith, the Storm lack a huge long kicking game (Munster is OK but tends to go for height rather than distance). Smith can’t kick from dummy half when there is limited go forward and that leaves Hughes and Munster as their only options.

If we approach this game with intensity in defence and an expansive attitude in attack, we can give them a run.
DarkRaider
Glenn Lazarus

Post by DarkRaider »

Looking at the finals structure and taking turnarounds etc into account is it fair to assume that if we’re hosting a week 2 final (god forbid) it’ll be Saturday night?
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I think the most important thing we can do is fight to play the ball. Work hard enough and let the refs call the penalties. You dont get them against melb by looking at the ref and asking for one.
Dont delete this GE
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Do what we did last time (without the sin bins).

Melbourne are beatable, but we're going to have to be at our absolute best.

Melbourne will be at a whole new level compared to last time.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote: September 10, 2019, 8:28 am I think the most important thing we can do is fight to play the ball. Work hard enough and let the refs call the penalties. You dont get them against melb by looking at the ref and asking for one.
I say we take it one step further and completely ignore the referees altogether. They blow a penalty against us? Just don't even acknowledge it. They call a forward pass or a knock-on?? We just play on with the ball, completely disregard the call.

Just take the referees completely out of the game.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Rickman wrote: September 10, 2019, 9:28 am
simo wrote: September 10, 2019, 8:28 am I think the most important thing we can do is fight to play the ball. Work hard enough and let the refs call the penalties. You dont get them against melb by looking at the ref and asking for one.
I say we take it one step further and completely ignore the referees altogether. They blow a penalty against us? Just don't even acknowledge it. They call a forward pass or a knock-on?? We just play on with the ball, completely disregard the call.

While I agree it's easier said than done. Anybody who's played competitive sport knows how hard it is not to react if you think the refs are giving you the rough end of the pineapple. Wouldn't be too many examples in any sport at any level where an entire team being so ultra professional that they don't acknowledge the officials if they believe they've been wronged.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: September 10, 2019, 9:35 am

While I agree it's easier said than done. Anybody who's played competitive sport knows how hard it is not to react if you think the refs are giving you the rough end of the pineapple. Wouldn't be too many examples in any sport at any level where an entire team being so ultra professional that they don't acknowledge the officials if they believe they've been wronged.
Pretty sure that's one of the biggest of the week so far, and there's already been some crackers.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

No doubt. But you need to try and encourage a mentality that sees every call against you as a challenge. “Poor me” mentalities can never win
Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: September 10, 2019, 9:37 am

Pretty sure that's one of the biggest of the week so far, and there's already been some crackers.
Wait, what?

Ah ****. :x
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, that's a bad one, NR. Might need to take a quick shower and cool off.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: September 10, 2019, 9:56 am Yeah, that's a bad one, NR. Might need to take a quick shower and cool off.
But shower day is Friday
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: September 10, 2019, 10:02 am
The Rickman wrote: September 10, 2019, 9:56 am Yeah, that's a bad one, NR. Might need to take a quick shower and cool off.
But shower day is Friday
Well, just sit in the corner for a while and contemplate where you're going in life.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Storm by 35.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Azza wrote: September 10, 2019, 10:10 amStorm by 35.
Muppet.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: September 10, 2019, 10:03 am
But shower day is Friday
Well, just sit in the corner for a while and contemplate where you're going in life.
now thats a dark dark place
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: September 10, 2019, 10:16 am
But shower day is Friday
Oh nice, you're coming back to Rocky??
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: September 10, 2019, 10:18 am
Northern Raider wrote: September 10, 2019, 10:16 am
But shower day is Friday
Oh nice, you're coming back to Rocky??
I said dark, not desolate
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Azza wrote: September 9, 2019, 9:35 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 9, 2019, 6:36 pm
Azza wrote: September 9, 2019, 10:07 am Well, I do hope we win. We owe them after that numpty Edrick Lee dropped one with the line wide open in 2016, in a horrible repeat of Bulgarelli-gate.
We were still going to need to score again after Edrick dropped it. Butterfly effect etc... Boogs just dropped the match, although his was a tougher take as it kicked away from him a little.
You're a numpty
People forget we were down by 8 when Edrick dropped that ball. Somehow it's developed in to this myth that we definitely would've won if that try was scored.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

We definitely would have won if that try was scored.

Raiders by 12.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

DarkRaider wrote: September 10, 2019, 8:20 am Looking at the finals structure and taking turnarounds etc into account is it fair to assume that if we’re hosting a week 2 final (god forbid) it’ll be Saturday night?
You’d assume so as we play the winner of Broncos/Eels who are playing Sunday. They’ll have a 6 day turnaround if they play the following Saturday.

I just noticed Josh Papalii is paying $81 for Clive Churchill medal. Some great value there.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

A couple of interesting points:

1. In most seasons, the GF winner has held an opposing team to nil during the regular season. We have done this 3 times this year and are the only team to do it.

2. Since the NRL came into existence, the GF winner has finished the regular season with a + differential over 100 points. Only the Storm, Roosters and Raiders are in this category.

3. Since the top 8 and finals construction under this current format, only teams in the top 4 have won the GF.

We are in this up to our eyeballs. I hope the team come out aggressive with line speed and are prepared to do the extra's on Saturday to get the win. Our defence has been key this year and were going to need our best defensive performance to get the win.

On the attack front, I also hope Hodgson simplifies his game (doesn't try to overplay) and allows our wider players more space when we have the ball.

There will be moments to run through the middle and finesse the ball in the ruck, and moments to give Sezer and Wighton space to provide to our back line.

We need his decision making to be spot on. I don't buy into the notion that Ricky wants him hogging the ball and distributing out wide when the defensive line is up in our face.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm expecting the boys to empty the tank.

And Bateman will have two weeks of ANGRY to unleash so I'm sure he'll go double maniac on Satd..

We will start as underdogs and outsiders away from home..and I'm lovin it !
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote: September 10, 2019, 2:19 pm I'm expecting the boys to empty the tank.

And Bateman will have two weeks of ANGRY to unleash so I'm sure he'll go double maniac on Satd..

We will start as underdogs and outsiders away from home..and I'm lovin it !
We all know what it's like emptying the tank after two weeks off, right PJ??
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Anyone feeling a bit defeatist about our chances on Saturday - go back and watch the last 5 minutes of our win against the Storm 3 weeks ago. It will do you good, promise.
Up The Milk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Mickey_Raider wrote: September 10, 2019, 2:51 pm Anyone feeling a bit defeatist about our chances on Saturday - go back and watch the last 5 minutes of our win against the Storm 3 weeks ago. It will do you good, promise.
Don't need to. That game is etched in my memory. They had every opportunity to blow us off the park and failed. Storm fans should be the ones concerned having to play Raiders instead of Bunnies.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL team: Raiders V Storm

Canberra Raiders V Melbourne Storm
Saturday 14 September 5:40pm
Melbourne Rectangular Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Nine, Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3

The Canberra Raiders have named their squad for Saturday’s Qualifying Final against the Melbourne Storm at AAMI Park.

Six Raiders have been named to make their return to the side this week with Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Jordan Rapana, Joey Leilua, Sia Soliola, John Bateman and Joe Tapine all returning for the Green Machine.

Hudson Young has been named on the extended bench and will appear at the NRL Judiciary tonight.

Canberra Raiders media

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Sia Soliola