Storm 13+
25%

Total votes: 20

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2019 Finals Week 1 V Storm: Teams and Previews

Post by Northern Raider »

Azza wrote: September 9, 2019, 9:08 am I can understand us not getting talked up though. Our last 3 performances have not been convincing. But yes, it's not a bad thing, I really hope we do something special this week and in this finals series if we can find a new gear.
It's ironic given that one of those unconvincing games was an away win against the Sharks, who are now being talked up.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: September 9, 2019, 8:59 am
Raiders_Pat wrote: September 9, 2019, 8:52 am
zim wrote: September 9, 2019, 1:26 am 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Bailey Simonsson
15. Dunamis Lui
16. Joseph Tapine
17. Corey Horsburgh
I think this would also be my team. Usually, I'd have Tapine starting over Sutton but I agree that for his first game back he should be running on the interchange. If Young is available then I'd switch Lui out for him - in this scenario, I'd be inclined to start Horsburgh at lock rather than Sutton. Young and Horsburgh are the least experienced and it would probably be wise to split their time on the field.
Yep, put me down for one of these too. Well balanced 17.
Agreed. It's pretty clear to me that Zim has won the Teams and Previews thread for the week already, so let's move on to more pressing stuff... dubby's hogging of the remote.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: September 9, 2019, 9:20 am
Azza wrote: September 9, 2019, 9:08 am I can understand us not getting talked up though. Our last 3 performances have not been convincing. But yes, it's not a bad thing, I really hope we do something special this week and in this finals series if we can find a new gear.
It's ironic given that one of those unconvincing games was an away win against the Sharks, who are now being talked up.
It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Well, I do hope we win. We owe them after that numpty Edrick Lee dropped one with the line wide open in 2016, in a horrible repeat of Bulgarelli-gate.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: September 9, 2019, 9:44 am
A little too ironic
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Azza wrote: September 9, 2019, 10:07 am Well, I do hope we win. We owe them after that numpty Edrick Lee dropped one with the line wide open in 2016, in a horrible repeat of Bulgarelli-gate.
Yes, I was at that game. The sea was angry that day, my friend.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I hate soup in a deli.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: September 9, 2019, 10:08 am
Azza wrote: September 9, 2019, 10:07 am Well, I do hope we win. We owe them after that numpty Edrick Lee dropped one with the line wide open in 2016, in a horrible repeat of Bulgarelli-gate.
....like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha fantastic stuff.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Rickman wrote:
That game made baby Jesus cry

**** Edrick Lee for all eternity

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Northern Raider wrote: September 9, 2019, 10:08 am
A little too ironic
Thats not irony
Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

simo wrote: September 9, 2019, 10:25 am
A little too ironic
Thats not irony
Would you prefer a black fly in your chardonnay?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: September 9, 2019, 10:27 am
Northern Raider wrote: September 9, 2019, 9:20 am It's ironic given that one of those unconvincing games was an away win against the Sharks, who are now being talked up.
A little too ironic
Thats not irony
Or a death row pardon, two minutes too late?
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

The Rickman wrote: September 9, 2019, 10:28 am
Northern Raider wrote: September 9, 2019, 10:27 am
A little too ironic
Thats not irony
Or a death row pardon, two minutes too late?
Figures
Dont delete this GE
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

We got this!
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

Dusty wrote: September 8, 2019, 10:25 am
Seiffert82 wrote:Select anyone that doesn't remind me of that car crash performance against the Warriors.

It'd also be nice not to be down 3 tries to zip in this game too. Back to basics please.

My biggest fear is that Hodgson will try to be the hero in this game. Just stick to the damn game plan Josh.

This...

It has happened a bit this year and yesterday was another example.

We were a bit flat, struggling to stop the Warriors offloads and their ability to match up field. I think Josh kicked the ball away on tackle 3 a number of times AND we were running into a strong wind.

Doesn’t make sense and he constantly does it... Sometimes in 7 tackle sets too... Drives me mad...

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Yes he kicks away possession on early tackles way to often. You'd think Ricky would pull him up on it. On Sat we were clinging to a lead in the 2nd half and for no advantage that I could see, Hodgson put in a nothing kick on the 3rd tackle.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

I'm nervous about this game. Look at what the Storm did t Manly at home after they managed a win against them earlier in the season. They will definitely be out for revenge after conceding their biggest come back defeat in the clubs history. Couple this with us coming off a pretty deflating loss against the Warriors and only a week to get the mindset right for a massive game. We have also handled pressure occasions fairly poorly this year and almost any situation where if we won we would move into a commanding position we have lost. Win this and we get a home prelim so plenty of reason to win.

That said we have the team to get the job done. We played the Storm well last time with plenty of ball movement and then when they were expecting the shift taking them on through the middle. We also played 20 minutes of the game a man down. We certainly have the ability to win but we will need to be smart. If we overplay our hand and try to win it with every play we will lose.

BJ in particular needs to go back to what was working earlier in the season which was strong running followed by quick play of the balls. Our whole team should be thinking that a quick play of the ball is the right move, trust the team to take the advantage on the subsequent plays.

We also need some enthusiasm in defence, especially in our line speed. We need to play in their faces and take as much time as possible off Munster in particular. Same with our kick chase, every high kick needs at least one player contesting the ball and putting pressure on the fullback/winger to make the play.

We are going to have to beat the Storm and Roosters (probably) to win the grand final but it would be nice if we don't have to play them both before getting into one!
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Sounds cliche but this will be won and lost in the forwards. Can our pack control NAS and Bromwich? Can Papalii produce another huge game?

Most teams who have played well and beaten us this year have figured out that you need to close the space Sezer and Wighton have when they receive the ball. The players should expect that umbrella style defence, particularly early on in the game.

I genuinely think our backs have more threat in them - the issue will be whether they get the chance to attack by receiving good early ball.

We have to start better than last time and keep our discipline. Forget the form line, this is a new ball game. There are going to be surprises during this finals series and I hope we get the ball rolling on Saturday afternoon.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 8, 2019, 11:05 am We're 4-4 in games with Cotric at centre. I think BJ has to play as the perceived threat him and Rapana possess open up opportunities across the park for our other players. In the final 20 minutes there just didn't seem anywhere we were going to get points from, given most of our spine was in tact that's a concern leading into matches against premier opponents.

I wouldn't be opposed to running with Simonsson on the bench in week one with BJ just back and Havili thereafter.
Why BJ's spot in the side is even being questioned is absolutely laughable. Actually after his brain fade cost us the Manly game it would be the most Joey thing ever to come out and have an absolute blinder and win us the game.
Last edited by Hazza on September 9, 2019, 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

One thing I hope follows through in he next month is that we are actually fairly good at wining against top teams as the underdog. We beat Melbourne in Melbourne, we beat Cronulla at home in their biggest game of the year etc.

Its the ones where we are hosting the match and are favourites - Roosters match etc that we havent really performed that well.

And middling teams we have been able to beat fairly regularly.

We will be underdogs in Melbourne, what happens after that time will tell.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

2019 Finals Week 1 V Storm: Teams and Previews

Post by The Nickman »

Hazza wrote:
Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 8, 2019, 11:05 am We're 4-4 in games with Cotric at centre. I think BJ has to play as the perceived threat him and Rapana possess open up opportunities across the park for our other players. In the final 20 minutes there just didn't seem anywhere we were going to get points from, given most of our spine was in tact that's a concern leading into matches against premier opponents.

I wouldn't be opposed to running with Simonsson on the bench in week one with BJ just back and Havili thereafter.
Why BJ's spot in the side is even being questioned is absolutely laughable. Actually after his brain fade cost us the Manly game it would be the most Joey thing ever to come out and have an absolute blinder and win us the game.
It’s mainly being questioned by one guy, and that same guy wants our captain sacked, so I wouldn’t pay TOO much attention to his constant nonsense
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Re: 2019 Finals Week 1 vs Storm: Teams and Previews

Post by Kryptonite »

PigRickman wrote: September 7, 2019, 9:26 pm I want to jump on the anti Lui wagon because i've never really rated him and always feel like we'd like to do better than him... his one on one stripping stuff is off the charts and needs to stop immediately

But you have to put long held views aside, and he's played well enough this year to get a pass on one really bad game.
Fair Call, Nami has been in good form all year and really a big improver in the NRL, BUT, leave the stripping duties to Hodgo ****!
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Best outcome is we win and then get probably either Manly or Souths in a home prelim.

I reckon we can do it!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Toviii wrote: September 9, 2019, 4:34 pm Best outcome is we win and then get probably either Manly or Souths in a home prelim.

I reckon we can do it!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Manly is absolutely the best outcome but I can't see them beating the Sharks this weekend, asbestos-riddled Brookvale or no.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

There's no way Manly are making the prelim

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

julian87 wrote: September 9, 2019, 7:45 am
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Bailey Simonsson
15. Dunamis Lui
16. Joseph Tapine
17. Corey Horsburgh

18. Siliva Havili
19. Emre Guler
20. Sebastian Kris
21. Ata Hingano

If we win Hodgo will have played 80 at 9 so Havili misses out as there are better middle options.
Lui scrapes in off experience and being better defensively than Havili. As already mentioned Lui really needs to go back to basics especially with the strip.
Was hard leaving Guler out after that last performance but he hasn't strung them together in first grade yet. Excellent signs for next year. If Horse is injured Guler could come in.
Young won't be available and he wouldn't have stayed in the side with Tapine and Bateman back.
Tapine always seems to come back from injury underdone so I've got him on the bench. Sutton can absorb the first 20.
We've had a couple of back injuries recently. Simonsson allows us to cover the back 5.

Hingano is on the extended bench as Williams is injured.
Agree with this team but I’d name Murchie over Hingano if Williams is unfit.

This might sound absurd but I’d consider completely left field back up half options over Hingano if Williams is injured.I’d sooner shift Bateman, Whitehead or one of the centres into the halves over him. We’re probably out of players to name in 21 if Oldfield, Young and Williams are out but I wouldn’t even consider it for a second.
Yeah that's not too absurd. Hingano is more there as a last resort / what I think will happen rather than a good idea.
I could see Whitehead making the shift with Havili coming into the side and spending some time at hooker. Hodgson could then spend time at first receiver as a better option than Hingano.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Surely Ata plays wing?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Raiders_Pat wrote: September 9, 2019, 8:52 am
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Bailey Simonsson
15. Dunamis Lui
16. Joseph Tapine
17. Corey Horsburgh
I think this would also be my team. Usually, I'd have Tapine starting over Sutton but I agree that for his first game back he should be running on the interchange. If Young is available then I'd switch Lui out for him - in this scenario, I'd be inclined to start Horsburgh at lock rather than Sutton. Young and Horsburgh are the least experienced and it would probably be wise to split their time on the field.
The first time I did the team I had Horsburgh at lock but his possible niggle combined with Sutton's experience in bigger games made me switch.
Benching him takes a bit of the pressure off.
Though not much in it either way.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Calling it now.... Eels to knock us out in straight sets.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Lucky wrote:Calling it now.... Eels to knock us out in straight sets.
Calling it now, **** off Lucky
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

We were still going to need to score again after Edrick dropped it. Butterfly effect etc... Boogs just dropped the match, although his was a tougher take as it kicked away from him a little.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Imagine being scared of the Eels
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Makaveli wrote: September 9, 2019, 7:05 pm Imagine being scared of the Eels
Sivo scares me. And when the eels are on, they can beat anyone convincingly.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders get Joey Leilua back to help weather the Melbourne Storm

The Canberra Raiders will be bolstered by the return of one of the NRL's most damaging centres, with Joey Leilua set to be brought straight back into the side after a two-game suspension.

"[Leilua's] been training hard. He's going to be ready to play next week," Stuart said. "He's got big match experience and I'll name the team on Tuesday, and I'm expecting 'BJ' to be fit and ready."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Is this Canberra Raiders duo Jordan Rapana and Joey Leilua's last stand?

The end of the Canberra Raiders' lethal Leipana duo is "a scary thought".

"I hope not, I really do. That's a scary thought, but it's just part of the game," Rapana said. "I've had an awesome time here, I love it here. It's become my home away from home and I really don't want to go. I want to stay, I honestly do.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Drandyt
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Drandyt »

VIDEO: Annesley's warning to trainers: NRL head of football elite competitions Graham Annesley sends a warning to all club trainers who intervene with play before examing the player: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/09/ann ... -trainers/

interesting....