The Cricket Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by RedRaider »

Azza wrote: September 7, 2019, 11:35 pm Warner should be forced to swim home
Azza, I'm starting to think the continual booing is getting to him. He used to take the family to the game. His kids would have been asking 'Why are they booing Daddy?' It would have been difficult to admit he was suspended for a year for cheating. I can't recall a time when he has had such a string of low scores (Awaits Matt to belt me with the facts :) ).
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

He stunk last English ashes too

He's a flat track bully

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

RedRaider wrote: September 8, 2019, 9:23 pm
Azza, I'm starting to think the continual booing is getting to him. He used to take the family to the game. His kids would have been asking 'Why are they booing Daddy?' It would have been difficult to admit he was suspended for a year for cheating. I can't recall a time when he has had such a string of low scores (Awaits Matt to belt me with the facts :) ).
Back in 2013 he had a lean tour of India and England. Not quite as bad as his current run.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

STOOKKESSSSS.....

Pat Cummins again...
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Wow, Stokes walks. Umps probably would have screwed it up

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Stokes walks.
Well played son.

Cummins... name says it all atm
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Fabulous from Lyon there and what a take by Labu.

We got this now. Bairstow's the last batsman. Their tail won't hold.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Once again our fast bowlers are wasting time and deliveries by bowling short to the tail enders. **** me dead, bowl it at the stumps and make them play you dumb *****

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I don’t get the short balls... all the batsman has to do is duck... Sure, bowl bouncers to Archer because he’ll play a reckless shot. But Leach and Overton will avoid them all day. Throw in a bouncer once every couple of overs... you don’t need two at the head and one at the chest every over

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Been sleeping for the last hour and 30..

Just woke to see Laboosh take the second last. (Min) 15 overs to go to get the final wicket!
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

the bone wrote: September 9, 2019, 2:55 am I don’t get the short balls... all the batsman has to do is duck... Sure, bowl bouncers to Archer because he’ll play a reckless shot. But Leach and Overton will avoid them all day. Throw in a bouncer once every couple of overs... you don’t need two at the head and one at the chest every over

I agree, we love wasting balls on that trash.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Yesssssssssssss!!!!

How amazing!
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

You beauty! Gutsy move to bowl the part timer

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Australia retain the Ashes winning by 185 runs. Not only did Labu take a good close in catch, he also took a wicket after Paine threw him the ball. I guess we should thank Archer. It was his short ball to Smith which gave Labu the opportunity to play. He has taken it with both hands although he didn't get much of a second innings score he has done well in the Test overall. His first innings half ton stopped the collapse and helped Smith early on to rebuild the innings.

I wonder how Jack Leach is feeling. He has Smith out caught by slip for about 100 fewer first innings runs only to be shown to have bowled a No Ball. A spinner bowling an overstepping No Ball is a shocker. I really hope Australia can win the final Test to put their stamp on the series.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Sucked in England

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Great win and the Ashes stay where they belong :)

Very much a bowler dominated series with the obvious exception of Smith. No doubt at all he's been the difference between the teams.

I really think Labuschagne is under utilised as a bowler. By giving Lyon such extensive spells the batsmen are becoming very familiar with him and it reduces his impact. Labuschagne is the perfect alternate to upset the batsman's rhythm. His numbers also support more opportunity. He gets a wicket or two nearly every time he bowls. Has a test total of 70 overs 10-269. That's very good figures by any standard.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Makaveli wrote: September 9, 2019, 7:36 am Sucked in England
:clap: perfect summary
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Well. England really are rubbish, because I don't think we've been that great (Smith, Hazlewood and Cummins aside).

Still, good to have the Ashes stay with us :D
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It'll be our worst ashes retention in a while

The fact we've relied on 2 or 3 guys to get us over the line is concerning

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: September 9, 2019, 9:06 am Well. England really are rubbish, because I don't think we've been that great (Smith, Hazlewood and Cummins aside).

Still, good to have the Ashes stay with us :D
Really only been a few quality players for both teams. Those you've mentioned for the Aussies plus a late charge by Labuschagne. For England it's really only Broad, Archer and Stokes.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RedRaider wrote: September 9, 2019, 5:44 am Australia retain the Ashes winning by 185 runs. Not only did Labu take a good close in catch, he also took a wicket after Paine threw him the ball. I guess we should thank Archer. It was his short ball to Smith which gave Labu the opportunity to play. He has taken it with both hands although he didn't get much of a second innings score he has done well in the Test overall. His first innings half ton stopped the collapse and helped Smith early on to rebuild the innings.

I wonder how Jack Leach is feeling. He has Smith out caught by slip for about 100 fewer first innings runs only to be shown to have bowled a No Ball. A spinner bowling an overstepping No Ball is a shocker. I really hope Australia can win the final Test to put their stamp on the series.
well said
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: September 9, 2019, 8:45 am Great win and the Ashes stay where they belong :)

Very much a bowler dominated series with the obvious exception of Smith. No doubt at all he's been the difference between the teams.

I really think Labuschagne is under utilised as a bowler. By giving Lyon such extensive spells the batsmen are becoming very familiar with him and it reduces his impact. Labuschagne is the perfect alternate to upset the batsman's rhythm. His numbers also support more opportunity. He gets a wicket or two nearly every time he bowls. Has a test total of 70 overs 10-269. That's very good figures by any standard.
Agreed.
Those figures are certainly worthy of allrounder status.
Its 3.84 and over, which is a little high, but he is considered a parttimer ATM. Could get that down a bit with a bit more work and then a few more overs/ wickets.
Thats a wicket every 42 balls or 7 overs. Not bad at all.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Yeah, like a lot of leggies they can have higher economy rates. Indians took a few off him last summer which bumps up the overall run rate. All that means is you don't use him if you want to pin them down. Of course we have plenty of other bowlers who can do that. Lyon, Cummins and Hazelwood are all very miserly on runs. Also if you use Marnus in 4 over spells it doesn't really matter of goes for 3-4 runs an over.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: September 9, 2019, 12:48 pm Yeah, like a lot of leggies they can have higher economy rates. Indians took a few off him last summer which bumps up the overall run rate. All that means is you don't use him if you want to pin them down. Of course we have plenty of other bowlers who can do that. Lyon, Cummins and Hazelwood are all very miserly on runs. Also if you use Marnus in 4 over spells it doesn't really matter of goes for 3-4 runs an over.
Yup. TBH, id prefer him to focus on wielding the willow, but might be worth rolling his arm over a little more seriously in the nets from time to time.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

2 burning questions...
What to do with the Aussie openers?

Do you rest Cummins?

Go...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: September 9, 2019, 1:55 pm 2 burning questions...

Do you rest Cummins?

Go...
What would I do or what do the selectors do?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: September 9, 2019, 1:57 pm

Do you rest Cummins?

Go...
perhaps both :D
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

It's great to be stomping all over the poms.

Smug merkins..

Winning that WC without actually winning that WC.

Screw em hard..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: September 9, 2019, 3:13 pm

Do you rest Cummins?

Go...
WHat would I do? No changes. We haven't won the series yet so don't want to let it slip. With the openers they don't have anybody in form to bring into the side so may as well give Harris another shot. Warner needs to regain confidence and that won't happen if he's dropped.

For the bowlers, this is our best attack so keep it in place. No point in "resting" anybody. We don't play another test till the end of November.

What would the selectors do? Probaly drop Labuschagne and bring in Marsh.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: September 9, 2019, 3:40 pm
Matt wrote: September 9, 2019, 3:13 pm

Do you rest Cummins?

Go...
WHat would I do? No changes. We haven't won the series yet so don't want to let it slip. With the openers they don't have anybody in form to bring into the side so may as well give Harris another shot. Warner needs to regain confidence and that won't happen if he's dropped.

For the bowlers, this is our best attack so keep it in place. No point in "resting" anybody. We don't play another test till the end of November.

What would the selectors do? Probaly drop Labuschagne and bring in Marsh.
Dont joke about Marsh, I have a funny feeling he isnt far off, which is very scary. Heads record isnt much better than Uzi's at this point, and Wade's 100 will get him how far?

As for the openers, im with you, though I can see them trying Uzi.

I reckon resting Cummins will be on their minds, but I really hope they dont
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I would only "rest" Cummins if the Poms decide to "rest" Broad and Archer.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

We don't have any more tests/cricket really until November. Granted there is a T20 series vs Bangladesh in October

He can rest in that break

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Go hell for leather and aim for 3-1 IMO. With such an average side overall it would be an embarrassment for the poms and bring them with a thud back to earth after their fluke of a world cup.

Warner is absolutely shot but he will play the next test. Our openers have been awful this series, thank god for Smith.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I'm so proud of the lads, but I gotta say I'm also really proud of Paine. He has done his best and carried himself with poise and maturity after becoming captain in the most difficult way possible. He absolutely deserves this.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RedRaider wrote: September 8, 2019, 9:23 pm
Missed this from earlier, but this is his worst run.
Got his 1st career pair.
Now has 3 globes on the trot.
It's his worst run.