Croker's kicking

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Croker's kicking

Post by afgtnk »

Surprised there's no thread for the Raiders' Mr. Untouchable.

It's beyond doubt now that he's developed issues this season and it's clearly in his head. It cost us the game today.

There is no **** room for sentiment at finals time - a decision needs to be made for Sezer to take over the duties until season's end and let Croker sort it out over the off season.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Croker's kicking

Post by Billy Walker »

Croker today claimed another record by equaling the most games lost by a Raiders player since the inception of the club. He also stands a good chance of having more try causes than any other player in the NRL this season. He was second to Anthony Don before this round.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He had an absolute stinker today
A renewed focus during this week, and even reliable regression to the mean should see a much improved effort next week

Assuming the sky is not indeed falling, and the NRL don’t strip us of a finals spot for that appalling loss to the warriors!
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Two points I’ll add here:

1) Croker’s kicking needs serious work on/to be stopped because it has and will continue to cost us.

2) This discussion has been done to death and will result in the same people arguing the same things.

I’m out 👍🏼
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Raider47 wrote:Two points I’ll add here:

1) Croker’s kicking needs serious work on/to be stopped because it has and will continue to cost us.

2) This discussion has been done to death and will result in the same people arguing the same things.

I’m out Image
Indeed.

To some posters he is a park footballer that can't do anything right.

To some posters he is a future immortal who can do no wrong.

His kicking has clearly regressed this year and cost us the game today. But it won us the game last week. I'll probably get jumped on from both sides for this.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Oh look, the guy who's entire purpose of being on this forum is to bad mouth two particular players made another thread on Croker. Are you going to make one on Lui's hands? Cotrics decision making? Stuart's team selection for this week and use of the bench? Our paper thin defence through the middle? The number of offloads we let them get away with? You know, actual reasons we lost that game?
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

He has kicked 7/20 from left to right this season.

Cmon. On what planet is that not a cause for concern?

And they pulled up a statistic from the other side and it wasn’t that much better too.

The eye test has been corroborated by the stats. He misses 2/3, maybe 3/4 of difficult kicks.

Intuitively, I feel like to be a good kicker in this league you need to be slotting something more like 50% of difficult kicks.
Croker is nowhere near that at the moment.
Up The Milk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

We should score all our tries near the posts
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

Mickey_Raider wrote: September 7, 2019, 6:00 pm He has kicked 7/20 from left to right this season.

Cmon. On what planet is that not a cause for concern?

And they pulled up a statistic from the other side and it wasn’t that much better too.

The eye test has been corroborated by the stats. He misses 2/3, maybe 3/4 of difficult kicks.

Intuitively, I feel like to be a good kicker in this league you need to be slotting something more like 50% of difficult kicks.
Croker is nowhere near that at the moment.
The question isn't if he is kicking like ****, although you're misreading statistics, the second one they brought up was from the "far" side, not just the side like the other one is, the problem is can Sezer handle the stress of kicking and not playing like a muppet at the same time? He only just got his confidence back field goal and in game kicking wise is sharpening up, is it worth hurting his mentally weak status for a couple extra points which if we are honestly expecting to win this we shouldn't need?

I would also hope they are doing trials during practice every week anyway and Croker is beating him there still but just not producing on the field?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 7, 2019, 5:51 pm
Raider47 wrote:Two points I’ll add here:

I’m out Image
Indeed.
His kicking has clearly regressed this year and cost us the game today. But it won us the game last week. I'll probably get jumped on from both sides for this.
Na that’s that’s exactly it
His kicking is well down this year on previous years. So it’s a fair concern

But you’re right, his kicking won us a game last week and this week it cost us. Not much to be said other than we’ve got a really good back up kicker who goes at a very high level, and Croker will need to make sure he gets back on the paddock this week

I think he will too
He was utterly appalled with his kicking today
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

He's a great goal kicker, but he's badly out of form at the moment.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

It's not just him missing them but the way he's doing so. He's completely shanking them from that left hand touch line and not even getting close to the posts this season - something I've never seen from him. Then we've got the kicks taken from at least half way between the touch line and the left post that used to be bread and butter for him, but is now regularly missing.

No player should have an entitlement to kick goals (or any duty for that matter), especially considering there is a 80%+ kicker waiting in the wings. Sezer is at very least equally capable to replace him at this stage, and that's being generous. Having sentiment because of some absurd argument that Croker's always kicked and therefore should eventually come good will see us fail.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

How many posts we going to get into this thread before someone mentions that it was **** windy today?!

Not your standard conditions.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

He’s not even placing them/ aiming them off the tee in the right direction. On tv I knew he’d miss them all

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

His kicking is what it is and I wouldn’t be changing things now. There also aren’t two other centres putting pressure on him this year. I am interested to know why he always comes up two steps ahead of his inside men in defence. Is it to give the impression there is less space on that side? Usually you see defences come up as a line or if anything it’s slightly staggered inside out. JC noticeably comes up a lot quicker than his inside men and it must be deliberate and okayed by the coaches. Perhaps it’s a recognition he’s a better chance one on one before his opposite winds up but geez In makes me concerned when they go his way.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gangrenous wrote: September 7, 2019, 6:13 pm How many posts we going to get into this thread before someone mentions that it was **** windy today?!

No excuses
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

Dusty wrote: September 7, 2019, 6:14 pm He’s not even placing them/ aiming them off the tee in the right direction. On tv I knew he’d miss them all

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
I feel this is true, the ones he misses are always pointing wrong, the ones he gets look different in the line up by a long stretch so it's kinda odd. Everyone tweet that at him and see if he notices :P
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

Billy Walker wrote: September 7, 2019, 6:15 pm His kicking is what it is and I wouldn’t be changing things now. There also aren’t two other centres putting pressure on him this year. I am interested to know why he always comes up two steps ahead of his inside men in defence. Is it to give the impression there is less space on that side? Usually you see defences come up as a line or if anything it’s slightly staggered inside out. JC noticeably comes up a lot quicker than his inside men and it must be deliberate and okayed by the coaches. Perhaps it’s a recognition he’s a better chance one on one before his opposite winds up but geez In makes me concerned when they go his way.
LOL, what other centers? The one who has spend most of the season injured or suspended or the one who bombed tries today and hasn't looked at first grade standard since origin? Also, keep it on topic mate, I know your account only exists to bag Croker but go back to your other thread for that, or maybe a "centres" thread, this one is about kicking.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Ultima wrote: September 7, 2019, 6:20 pm
Billy Walker wrote: September 7, 2019, 6:15 pm His kicking is what it is and I wouldn’t be changing things now. There also aren’t two other centres putting pressure on him this year. I am interested to know why he always comes up two steps ahead of his inside men in defence. Is it to give the impression there is less space on that side? Usually you see defences come up as a line or if anything it’s slightly staggered inside out. JC noticeably comes up a lot quicker than his inside men and it must be deliberate and okayed by the coaches. Perhaps it’s a recognition he’s a better chance one on one before his opposite winds up but geez In makes me concerned when they go his way.
LOL, what other centers? The one who has spend most of the season injured or suspended or the one who bombed tries today and hasn't looked at first grade standard since origin? Also, keep it on topic mate, I know your account only exists to bag Croker but go back to your other thread for that, or maybe a "centres" thread, this one is about kicking.
Is reading hard for you? Have another read of my post... s l o w l y...
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

Billy Walker wrote: September 7, 2019, 6:22 pm
The bit in the middle where you you start talking about other centres, then go onto defence, you know, nothing to do with kicking...

Correction, I'm giving you too much credit. The second sentence when you start talking about something else. That paragraph was seven sentence, one of which was on topic.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Old alphabet has his targets, and he waits until they miss a few before he pipes up. I haven’t seen any threads on games where Crokers kicked well, and it’s happened a few times now.

Same old same old
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Cotric looks out of touch so to speak but not first grade standard? Jesus stop sensationalizing a loss that doesn’t matter.

well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Lucky
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucky »

meh... at least he kicks slightly better than the sharks players.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Ultima wrote: September 7, 2019, 6:25 pm
Billy Walker wrote: September 7, 2019, 6:22 pm
The bit in the middle where you you start talking about other centres, then go onto defence, you know, nothing to do with kicking...

Correction, I'm giving you too much credit. The second sentence when you start talking about something else. That paragraph was seven sentence, one of which was on topic.
I’ll break it down for you:

1. His kicking is what it is - I wouldn’t be changing things on the eve of finals.

2. He’s not under pressure for his position so no point going over that ground.

3. I’m genuinely interested to hear why he comes up quicker in defence than his inside men. I actually thought Piggy might have a view he often makes sense on these things. I’m actually not having a go at him I’m keen to know. Would seem a little silly to start a whole new thread just to ask that wouldn’t you say?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I'm Bate Man wrote: September 7, 2019, 6:29 pm Old alphabet has his targets, and he waits until they miss a few before he pipes up. I haven’t seen any threads on games where Crokers kicked well, and it’s happened a few times now.

Same old same old
Yep, here we go, right on cue. Getting touchy and trying to make out as if it's a vendetta. They're all valid points so try to play the ball and not the man.

I couldn't care less how he's kicked before, nor should anyone else be - I'm concerned about how he's kicking this season and right now, because it has a huge bearing on the team.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

We win that game if they bothered to turn up and actually make a **** tackle, don't make it out like 2 missed conversions in a gale made the difference

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

-TW- wrote:We win that game if they bothered to turn up and actually make a **** tackle, don't make it out like 2 missed conversions in a gale made the difference

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk
1 from 4 conversations, and a penalty goal
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Happy to run with him on week one. But if he is missing them and swearing at himself like he was today then don't be afraid to hand it off to Sezer.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: September 7, 2019, 6:13 pm How many posts we going to get into this thread before someone mentions that it was **** windy today?!

They were pretty rotten last week and he was perfect, whilst his counterpart blew the game.
I dont think the wind will an excuse Croker uses this week, he was clearly very upset with himself. I think he'll be spending quite a few hours this week doing his work.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 7, 2019, 7:19 pm Happy to run with him on week one. But if he is missing them and swearing at himself like he was today then don't be afraid to hand it off to Sezer.
Yeah that's how i feel too, i think he's likely to regress back to the mean and probably kick very well next week, that's kind of how this stuff usually goes, but if he shanks a few next week and the coach and or himself lose some confidence, you have to at least be open to giving Sezer the tee in a do or die match
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Exactly.
This thread is hilarious.
KW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Steve "no mans land" Collins

Post by KW »

It was windy as **** - no kicker in the game lands them all today
Quality over Quantity Winner - 2007, 2008 and 2010 Golden Boogs Awards
Raiders Member #3383 - Bay 28, Row LL, Seat 6
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

GreenMachine wrote:

Exactly.
This thread is hilarious.
Except that his kicking has been below par all season, and most games haven't been windy.

Again it is what it is, but whenever he **** up you can rely on certain posters to point it out, and certain posters to tell us it's not on him.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

KW wrote: September 7, 2019, 7:29 pm It was windy as **** - no kicker in the game lands them all today
Except Issac Luke?
But again it was windy as **** last week and not a kicker in the land would have landed them all last week, except Croker.

So i dont know. It is worrying, especially on that side, but i deal with stats all day and i just firmly believe in this stuff being pretty variable week to week and it all kind of balnces out. He could have gone 2/3 last week and 2/4 this week and probably this thread doesnt exist. by 3/3 and 1/4 has us here, despite the same % in pretty horrid conditions.
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

I've lost confidence in his kicking this year and I'm quite the poso. I think the idea of handing it off to Sezer when it's not working is worthwhile.