Elliott Whitehead and Ryan Sutton re-sign to end 2022

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Canberra Raiders move to lock in English duo Elliott Whitehead and Ryan Sutton

Post by -PJ- »

That's cleared up then...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Re: Canberra Raiders move to lock in English duo Elliott Whitehead and Ryan Sutton

Post by LastRaider »

Sutton’s only done enough to get a 12 month extension for my liking. He needs to have a big off season and come back firing next year to get longer in my books
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

LastRaider wrote: September 6, 2019, 8:25 pm Sutton’s only done enough to get a 12 month extension for my liking. He needs to have a big off season and come back firing next year to get longer in my books
Yeah I've been swimming between he's a bit of an unsung achiever and he's just an ok FG value player, no more. I do think he's struggled to adapt to backing up and producing his best football week in week out in the NRL. Which is normal for SL players in their first year NRL- even if Elliot and Hdogo almost skipped that issue.

I'll look at another year before I decide.

The issue with Bateman will be was signed for peanuts, far less than Elliot and Hodgo, despite being more acclaimed than them when he came over. He didn't know about the pay disparity and wasn't happy when he found out.

Now he's killing it so the jump between what he's still on and what he could get if he went open market somehow (players always find a way) is large. He won't want to undersell himself again- look how competitive the bastard is and imagine him negotiating after he feels you've put one over him last time!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

LastRaider wrote: September 6, 2019, 8:25 pm Sutton’s only done enough to get a 12 month extension for my liking. He needs to have a big off season and come back firing next year to get longer in my books
He was injured this year don’t forget. I think he’s great and is a young prop with huge potential.

I think did the same injury today to the back of the calf that he did. Only difference was I was getting off a bar stool at The Dock at lunch. It was like getting stabbed.

He’s come back well.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: September 6, 2019, 9:42 pm
He was injured this year don’t forget. I think he’s great and is a young prop with huge potential.

I think did the same injury today to the back of the calf that he did. Only difference was I was getting off a bar stool at The Dock at lunch. It was like getting stabbed.

He’s come back well.
Crazy what can happen between getting off the stool and onto the palanquin. Need to take better care of yourself mate.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: September 6, 2019, 10:37 pm

He’s come back well.
Crazy what can happen between getting off the stool and onto the palanquin. Need to take better care of yourself mate.
I don’t even know what a palanquin is... but maybe I should get one?!
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: September 6, 2019, 10:40 pm
zim wrote: September 6, 2019, 10:37 pm

He’s come back well.
I don’t even know what a palanquin is... but maybe I should get one?!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I think there is general agreement that EW is good for a couple more seasons and Sutton needs similar time and no arguments from me. It is interesting though reading the various “re-sign” threads. From a fans perspective there is always going to be strong affection for players who have played hard for the club and won our hearts. From a successful club perspective there needs to be a regular and fairly solid refresh of players. Storm are a great example - every year they seem to farewell long time club legends but it always seems the right call. We haven’t looked back after releasing 3 very good players last year in Boyd, Paulo and Austin. I’d say you probably want about 3 or 4 new players cracking regular first grade every year. This year we had CNK, Bateman, Hors, Sutton and Simmonsen. Next year Williams and I’d hope somewhere we uncover 2 or 3 others.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Billy Walker wrote: September 7, 2019, 7:37 am I think there is general agreement that EW is good for a couple more seasons and Sutton needs similar time and no arguments from me. It is interesting though reading the various “re-sign” threads. From a fans perspective there is always going to be strong affection for players who have played hard for the club and won our hearts. From a successful club perspective there needs to be a regular and fairly solid refresh of players. Storm are a great example - every year they seem to farewell long time club legends but it always seems the right call. We haven’t looked back after releasing 3 very good players last year in Boyd, Paulo and Austin. I’d say you probably want about 3 or 4 new players cracking regular first grade every year. This year we had CNK, Bateman, Hors, Sutton and Simmonsen. Next year Williams and I’d hope somewhere we uncover 2 or 3 others.
Something in my head still says this will be Sia’s last year and they are going to drop the news prior to a home final to add some extra motivation for the back end of the finals.

This is based off no fact, just the idea that Sia and Sticky will know the right time is, Sia will have a job after footy, the emergence of Horse gives us good middle stock, and with Lui, Sutton, Tarps, Guler etc we are looking good in the middle.

I just don’t think Sia is the type to fade out like Lima did, and he will know better than most that this MAY be our best chance for a while, and that may be the best time to bow out.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Coastalraider wrote: September 7, 2019, 7:59 am
Billy Walker wrote: September 7, 2019, 7:37 am I think there is general agreement that EW is good for a couple more seasons and Sutton needs similar time and no arguments from me. It is interesting though reading the various “re-sign” threads. From a fans perspective there is always going to be strong affection for players who have played hard for the club and won our hearts. From a successful club perspective there needs to be a regular and fairly solid refresh of players. Storm are a great example - every year they seem to farewell long time club legends but it always seems the right call. We haven’t looked back after releasing 3 very good players last year in Boyd, Paulo and Austin. I’d say you probably want about 3 or 4 new players cracking regular first grade every year. This year we had CNK, Bateman, Hors, Sutton and Simmonsen. Next year Williams and I’d hope somewhere we uncover 2 or 3 others.
Something in my head still says this will be Sia’s last year and they are going to drop the news prior to a home final to add some extra motivation for the back end of the finals.

This is based off no fact, just the idea that Sia and Sticky will know the right time is, Sia will have a job after footy, the emergence of Horse gives us good middle stock, and with Lui, Sutton, Tarps, Guler etc we are looking good in the middle.

I just don’t think Sia is the type to fade out like Lima did, and he will know better than most that this MAY be our best chance for a while, and that may be the best time to bow out.
That wouldn’t surprise me. I love Sia and he is playing great football but time catches us all. I would love to see him go on at a high level if he can but would be sad if he faded out. I’d put Raps in the same boat.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Elliott Whitehead and Ryan Sutton set to sign two year extensions

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders' English duo set to re-sign two year extensions ahead of NRL finals return

Both Elliott Whitehead and Ryan Sutton are set to sign two-year extensions, potentially as early as mid-week, which would keep them in Canberra until at least 2022. Whitehead and Sutton were off contract at the end of 2020 but they've opted to re-sign early and extend their time in lime green.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/09/rai ... ad-sutton/
Jake
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Post by Jake »

I'm happy to see Whitehead here as long as he wants to be. He is 100% effort all the time and his work since coming here really can't be overstated. Absolute FOOTBALLER.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

EW is a fantastic rugby league player..top shelf.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Whitehead is a gun and Sutton is average

Honestly it depends on the numbers

Truth be told the only must keep is Bateman.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Sutton needs to step up
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I feel confident that Sutton is going to come on very nicely for us. He's 3-4 years away from his prime as a middle forward and this was a steep learning curve coming from the ESL to NRL.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

PigRickman wrote:I feel confident that Sutton is going to come on very nicely for us. He's 3-4 years away from his prime as a middle forward and this was a steep learning curve coming from the ESL to NRL.
He makes a good point. Remember that Bateman really struggled in his first year, too.

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think you mean Whitehead.
But yeah, its similar to Whitey, in that in his first year, he wasnt close to at his best but he held his own and you could see it.
I think Sutton has it too... I really could see him being a James Graham level middle for us going forward. He's done a lot of growing this year and i see a lot of growth left

He'll be much better for the experience of this year. I dont think his future for us is at 13. I think that position needs someone a little more dynamic, but he looks to be like a 5-6 year plug and play #1-#2 NRL middle
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

T_R wrote: September 8, 2019, 8:14 pm
PigRickman wrote:I feel confident that Sutton is going to come on very nicely for us. He's 3-4 years away from his prime as a middle forward and this was a steep learning curve coming from the ESL to NRL.
He makes a good point. Remember that Bateman really struggled in his first year, too.

Bateman hasnt struggled at all. Hes consistently been one of our best in every game he’s played.
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Elliott Whitehead and Ryan Sutton set to sign two year extensions

Post by The Nickman »

I’m pretty sure both Pig and Simo are ***bying and ***bying hard right now

You hate to see it
Last edited by The Nickman on September 8, 2019, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think you're on the wrong end of this one, friend!
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

The Rickman wrote: September 8, 2019, 8:27 pm I’m pretty sure both Pig and Simo and ***bying and ***bying hard right now

You hate to see it
Of all the people i thought would step into this dubseption, im glad it was you. Say it
Dont delete this GE
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

God, that was ugly, ugly stuff.
I'm sorry we all had to see that.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

But yeah, my clumsy point was that I think there's less gap between the NRL and Super league than we may think.

And let's just ignore R69's doubling down there.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Awful, awful stuff by Simo and Pig
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I mean if thats your point, i guess i have to fairgoitall
but christ, that's a miserable point!

Blake Austin is a **** demi god in the ESL. The continued failure of viturally every english import to the NRL bar those we seem to target speaks volumes.
The gap is significant.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

The rare paired ***by by simo and Pig, fantastic stuff!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dubby

Edit- why are you editing it out, Rickman!?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I’m not, I think the admin staff have changed my text so it autocorrects from ***by to ***by
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: September 8, 2019, 8:47 pm I’m not, I think the admin staff have changed my text so it autocorrects from ***by to ***by
Haha they've applied a special filter just to you
SCENES!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Well, they either have or you’re ***bying again, old friend
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: September 8, 2019, 8:50 pm Well, they either have or you’re ***bying again, old friend
oh no...

oh no...
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

PigRickman wrote: September 8, 2019, 8:41 pm I mean if thats your point, i guess i have to fairgoitall
but christ, that's a miserable point!

Blake Austin is a **** demi god in the ESL. The continued failure of viturally every english import to the NRL bar those we seem to target speaks volumes.
The gap is significant.
He was a demigod here until his one trick was figured out. I wouldn’t be surprised if the same occurred there.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

PigRickman wrote: September 8, 2019, 8:23 pm I think you mean Whitehead.
But yeah, its similar to Whitey, in that in his first year, he wasnt close to at his best but he held his own and you could see it.
I think Sutton has it too... I really could see him being a James Graham level middle for us going forward. He's done a lot of growing this year and i see a lot of growth left

He'll be much better for the experience of this year. I dont think his future for us is at 13. I think that position needs someone a little more dynamic, but he looks to be like a 5-6 year plug and play #1-#2 NRL middle
I was critical of whitehead after his first game or two thing with him is was mis tackles / hot conditions that he struggled with.

They were fixed pretty quickly and he impressed after those few rounds.

With Sutton his effort is good, his technique is fine. Defensively he does his job well enough. But for me the power , strength and pace isn’t quite there. He is a bit like... fensom for me... I see why people like him but for me not really.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

EW is a gun. All effort all the time. Sign him up!
I can see the 'green shoots' in Sutton, while I appreciate he hasn't had the instant impact as the other Poms, he needs another season IMO to be properly judged.