Moderator: GH Moderators

sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by sprintman »

greeneyed wrote: September 4, 2019, 2:47 pm
sprintman wrote: September 4, 2019, 2:41 pm
greeneyed wrote: September 3, 2019, 8:07 pm Phil Gould’s bold two-conference plan for future of NRL

Phil Gould has proposed a radical two conference system of nine teams each, one based in Sydney, and one outside.

"There needs to be nine teams in Sydney and nine teams outside of Sydney. Play it as a regional competition in two-conferences and then perhaps you’ve got your Sydney grand final, your regional grand final and you meet for a super grand final at the end of the year."

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 00fcc436f0

What do people think of this? I think it is incredibly Sydney-centric, designed to guarantee a Sydney team a place in the Grand Final, even if they're not in the best two teams in the country. It no doubt panders to those people who yearn for a suburban Sydney competition. But it has no place in a National Rugby League.
Works well in the U.S. We ain’t ‘specIal’
What's being proposed isn't anything like the NFL in the USA. This is basically the resumption of a suburban Sydney competition, and guaranteeing the winner a spot in a Grand Final against teams that are playing in what is virtually a national competition. I think it'd be very tempting for the one town teams to set up an actual national competition and it'd be Super League 2. And, of course, the Sydney centric views that Gould holds were the very reason for Super League's emergence.

What's happened in the NFL is an accident of history, really, with competing leagues eventually marrying back up through the Super Bowl.
I’ll take their way every time.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

sprintman wrote: September 4, 2019, 3:03 pm
greeneyed wrote: September 3, 2019, 8:07 pm Phil Gould’s bold two-conference plan for future of NRL

Phil Gould has proposed a radical two conference system of nine teams each, one based in Sydney, and one outside.

"There needs to be nine teams in Sydney and nine teams outside of Sydney. Play it as a regional competition in two-conferences and then perhaps you’ve got your Sydney grand final, your regional grand final and you meet for a super grand final at the end of the year."

What do people think of this? I think it is incredibly Sydney-centric, designed to guarantee a Sydney team a place in the Grand Final, even if they're not in the best two teams in the country. It no doubt panders to those people who yearn for a suburban Sydney competition. But it has no place in a National Rugby League.
What's being proposed isn't anything like the NFL in the USA. This is basically the resumption of a suburban Sydney competition, and guaranteeing the winner a spot in a Grand Final against teams that are playing in what is virtually a national competition. I think it'd be very tempting for the one town teams to set up an actual national competition and it'd be Super League 2. And, of course, the Sydney centric views that Gould holds were the very reason for Super League's emergence.

What's happened in the NFL is an accident of history, really, with competing leagues eventually marrying back up through the Super Bowl.
I’ll take their way every time.
And when Australia’s population hits 327.8 million like the US, we will probably have the audience and economics for the US system to work here as well. But till then....
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Bingo!
'Bee Sting Eyes' has a motive, and you called it out.
He wants a Sydney team playing in the GF every year.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

FWIW I reckon west tigers should be relocated to perth. They would still play circa 10 to 12 games in sydney, and could come up with creative membership opportunities on that basis. They wouldn't even have tp change their name!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:

And, of course, the Sydney centric views that Gould holds were the very reason for Super League's emergence.
It was Sydneycentric views which sparked superleague? The year where four non-nsw teams were admitted to the comp, and the comp was rebranded from nsw rugby league to Australian rugby league? Righto.

I suppose it had nothing to do with one billionaire media mogul wanting the pay TV rights owned by another billionaire media mogul for his new pay TV network? Somebody has drunk the News coolaide.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

One conference would have games spread from NZ to Melbourne, Brisbane, G Coast, Townsville, Newcastle and Canberra plus two other locations, probably Brisbane and Perth. The others would just need a bus pass.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 4, 2019, 9:55 pm
greeneyed wrote:

And, of course, the Sydney centric views that Gould holds were the very reason for Super League's emergence.
It was Sydneycentric views which sparked superleague? The year where four non-nsw teams were admitted to the comp, and the comp was rebranded from nsw rugby league to Australian rugby league? Righto.

I suppose it had nothing to do with one billionaire media mogul wanting the pay TV rights owned by another billionaire media mogul for his new pay TV network? Somebody has drunk the News coolaide.
Dr Zaius... if you didn’t live through it, you won’t understand how the ARL mistreated any club outside Sydney.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

Dr Zaius... if you didn’t live through it, you won’t understand how the ARL mistreated any club outside Sydney.
I did actually and have clear recollection
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Great write up on expansion that you won’t get in the Papers

https://pythagonrl.com/2019/09/04/on-ex ... th-sydney/
Last edited by Beejay on September 5, 2019, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: September 4, 2019, 11:24 pm
greeneyed wrote:

Amen to that - Quale and Arko hated the raiders. The Sydney bias 100% created the environment for Superleague.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Billy Walker wrote: September 5, 2019, 6:41 am
greeneyed wrote:

Amen to that - Quale and Arko hated the raiders. The Sydney bias 100% created the environment for Superleague.
All it took was for someone with money to get teams to jump ship. I still recall putting money in the bucket to save the Raiders because the NSWRL wanted to kick them out for salary cap breaches.

Best moment out of the Super League "war" was when Arko discovered that Kerry Packer had jumped ship as well and joined forces with Murdoch. :roflmao
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

yurithe1 wrote: September 5, 2019, 11:40 am
Billy Walker wrote: September 5, 2019, 6:41 am
greeneyed wrote:And, of course, the Sydney centric views that Gould holds were the very reason for Super League's emergence.

All it took was for someone with money to get teams to jump ship. I still recall putting money in the bucket to save the Raiders because the NSWRL wanted to kick them out for salary cap breaches.

Best moment out of the Super League "war" was when Arko discovered that Kerry Packer had jumped ship as well and joined forces with Murdoch. :roflmao
I’ve still got a bottle of Raiders red wine at home with $1 from every sale going towards the players fund. I wouldn’t think it’s aged well haha
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

All i want is a team back here in perth :( :(
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

I'm using the Matty rule and giving us a 0/5 chance of the raiders relocating.
Raiders.
In Canberra.
Win the skin.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

PerthRaider86 wrote:All i want is a team back here in perth :( :(
Yes that needs to happen, it opens up different time slots etc.. great for the NRL and broadcasters

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk