Warriors 13+
6%

Total votes: 16

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2019 Rd 25 V Warriors: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Botman »

If a second string team, whose few starters are playing to try and protect their bodies, lose to the warriors and that is some earth shattering blow to our confidence, then we were never a **** snowballs chance of competing for this competition to begin with.

Teams who can't compartmentalise meaningless events of the season and allow them to impact games that matter are as pretender as pretenders can be.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Losing this match will have as much impact as losing a preseason trial game.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

If nothing else, this game will give the coach a better idea of exactly what his contingencies are. 3 years ago, had copped 3 major injuries in the finals, and there is no reason to say that cant happen again. Games like this against warriors help inform the coach about the capabilities of his squad... A simple question like, can Simo effectively fill in at fullback, can Hudson Young handle big long minutes, where is Guler at in his level of development and physicality, how does the team look with Havilii at hooker for 60-70 minutes...

this stuff is all important if you're planning a long finals run. It's strange to me that people think that if we lost this game it would somehow be a crushing blow to our chances.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

T_R wrote:I'd argue that this is a great chance to give some fringe guys some decent minutes in the lead up too the finals. Good insurance, I think.

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Absolutely.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Craig Bellamy has spoken this week about the lessons he has learned in resting too many key players before the finals. 2011 the Storm rested their stars in the final regular season game, got beaten, still won week 1 to get the week off but then lost in the prelim. He stated they had no momentum at that point, and learned how important this factor is:

"We learnt our lesson about 10 years ago when we rested a lot of players at the end of the season," Bellamy noted.

"We lost a little bit of momentum.

"We still won our first final, but back in those days it was first versus eight and we then had the week off and the momentum wasn't there.

"That was one mistake I made and hopefully I have learnt from it."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/03/bel ... -just-yet/
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

PigRickman wrote: September 5, 2019, 8:23 am If a second string team, whose few starters are playing to try and protect their bodies, lose to the warriors and that is some earth shattering blow to our confidence, then we were never a **** snowballs chance of competing for this competition to begin with.

Teams who can't compartmentalise meaningless events of the season and allow them to impact games that matter are as pretender as pretenders can be.
With this 100%
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The 'clearly busted' players have rightly been given more time to increase their level of fitness before the finals. To me though, It does matter to keep as many of the 1st grade squad together and playing as possible. Sure if we get out to a strong lead use the interchange wisely, but winning is a habit and we are one from one against the Sharks who had no goal kicker. While playing competitively we are not exactly on a winning wave at this point in time.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Well if I'm Ricky Stuart I tell Wighton, Sezer and Hodgson that none of them get a rest until we complete ten sets in a row without kicking it dead or giving away a single 7-tackle set.

Once they achieve that milestone, I'm happy for him to pull them all off to his heart's content.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders welcome New Zealand Warriors for the final Round of the regular season at Canberra Stadium. Sam Squiers and Jamie Soward preview the match: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/04/raiders-v-warriors/
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

The Rickman wrote:Well if I'm Ricky Stuart I tell Wighton, Sezer and Hodgson that none of them get a rest until we complete ten sets in a row without kicking it dead or giving away a single 7-tackle set.

Once they achieve that milestone, I'm happy for him to pull them all off to his heart's content.
EDIT
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

The Rickman wrote: September 5, 2019, 10:31 am Once they achieve that milestone, I'm happy for him to pull them all off to his heart's content.
So who’s in charge of the team when Rick is busy with that?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Rickman wrote:Well if I'm Ricky Stuart I tell Wighton, Sezer and Hodgson that none of them get a rest until we complete ten sets in a row without kicking it dead or giving away a single 7-tackle set.

You know they'd just run it into a corner and hand it over if that was the case

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

PigRickman wrote: September 5, 2019, 8:29 am If nothing else, this game will give the coach a better idea of exactly what his contingencies are. 3 years ago, had copped 3 major injuries in the finals, and there is no reason to say that cant happen again. Games like this against warriors help inform the coach about the capabilities of his squad... A simple question like, can Simo effectively fill in at fullback, can Hudson Young handle big long minutes, where is Guler at in his level of development and physicality, how does the team look with Havilii at hooker for 60-70 minutes...

this stuff is all important if you're planning a long finals run. It's strange to me that people think that if we lost this game it would somehow be a crushing blow to our chances.
Yep that first para for me is equally as important as minimising the risk of a key injury.

As I said in my first post, if Tapine plays in 13, you're also still running a bench of Horse, Guler, Collins/Murchie, Starling. I honestly don't think we're throwing a game whatsoever, we're still putting out a decent side and every starting player besides Kris and maybe Young also have at least a reasonable amount of first grade experience and can perform at that level.

Nickman, I agree 100% with your comment on the last tackle options against the Sharks and that is up there with the biggest things for the team to address. I also think that type of responsibility is what Sezer should carry into this game as the only senior player left in the spine. Sure Sammy Williams can jump in and help out if he's under the pump but if Sezer can get on top of his kicking game with some authority, our chances over the next 4 weeks improve dramatically. I think Jack has improved steadily with this kicking and Hodgo overplays more than has a technical deficiency, I'm backing them to get it right more than wrong in the finals but IMO Sezer definitely needs a game where he pulls all the strings in this regard.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sia Soliola urges Canberra Raiders young guns to seize the day

Carpe diem. Seize the day. That's the message Canberra Raiders veteran Sia Soliola has for his teammates because he knows the chance they have.

"This could potentially be the last ride for me because you never know when your next game is or next injury is. I know it's cliche, but you just never know. That's something I've spoken to the group about as well.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Nearer the end than the start so Sia savours every moment

As the Canberra Raiders enter the finals as a legitimate contender, their spiritual leader Sia Soliola is set to play an important role for every week their premiership dream remains alive in 2019.

"That last month was probably the best education we could have had in terms of the quality of the football we're going to be presented with come finals," he said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/05/nea ... ry-moment/

We've done nothing, yet: NRL high-flyers: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/we-ve-done ... 631cb503f0

NRL Match Preview: Raiders v Warriors: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33596

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/09 ... -warriors/

VIDEO: Sutton confident young Raiders will step up: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/09 ... l-step-up/
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Peter wrote: September 5, 2019, 12:18 pm
The Rickman wrote: September 5, 2019, 10:31 am Once they achieve that milestone, I'm happy for him to pull them all off to his heart's content.
So who’s in charge of the team when Rick is busy with that?
:roflmao

I was thinking it, but it needed to be said!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

-TW- wrote:

I’m happy with that just STOP KICKING IT **** DEAD
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

The Rickman wrote: September 5, 2019, 2:44 pm
-TW- wrote:

I’m happy with that just STOP KICKING IT **** DEAD
I know we're critical of our halves giving away too many 7 tackle sets bit do we do it any more than an average team? Surely there's stats available on it somewhere.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Id look at the other way, how many more repeat sets have we gotten this yr?
Yes, we are still guilty of kicking a few dead, but at least we are getting some repeats too.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Whoever pulls on the jersey needs to apply the team ethos in every game. If people are playing to not get injured they should not be pulling on the jersey that week.

I'm happy we are resting some blokes though. Unlike Roosters and Storm, we haven't been able to manage the players workload through the year. A couple of weeks off (assuming here we win our first finals game) will not hurt the performance of the guys we are talking about.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

PigRickman wrote:If a second string team, whose few starters are playing to try and protect their bodies, lose to the warriors and that is some earth shattering blow to our confidence, then we were never a **** snowballs chance of competing for this competition to begin with.
Exactly, it’s like if the Raiders blamed a loss after a bye on Mounties losing in the bye week.

Blows my mind that people are worried about this.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

reptar wrote:EDIT
This was edited before I saw it, but I’m sure I laughed just as hard as if I’d read reptar’s original response Image
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

gangrenous wrote:
This was edited before I saw it, but I’m sure I laughed just as hard as if I’d read reptar’s original response Image
That was my original response. Image
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

reptar wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
Was your original response to laugh real hard at your original response?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Finchy wrote:
Neeeegz wrote: September 3, 2019, 9:45 pm
Matt wrote:
The Rickman wrote: September 3, 2019, 5:11 pm What will also be a key battle on Saturday will be Hudson Young vs Ryan Sutton for the final bench spot when Tapine returns. For mine, Young is slightly ahead. Lui and Horsburgh already have their spots locked down.

Havili should also be given some serious minutes too, whether by resting Papalii or Hodgson more during the game.
I'd take Sutton over Liu TBH
Why ? May I ask ?

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Because Sutton plays for us, Liu plays for the Roosters.
Sorry, missed the spelling, I wasn't talking about any other teams players.
I'll type slower next time.

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Matt wrote:
Matt wrote:
The Rickman wrote: September 3, 2019, 5:11 pm What will also be a key battle on Saturday will be Hudson Young vs Ryan Sutton for the final bench spot when Tapine returns. For mine, Young is slightly ahead. Lui and Horsburgh already have their spots locked down.

Havili should also be given some serious minutes too, whether by resting Papalii or Hodgson more during the game.
Why ? May I ask ?

Mobility, motor, effort, defense
I have not seen Lui take a backward step of hardly make a mistake this year. Maybe two penalties for failed strips and a dropped ball all season, I'd love to see his and suttos stats

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I don't know what to expect on Saturday. I believe we will be too good for the Warriors and win.

I'd like to see the squad named just stick to the process and play well. It's important Guler, Young, Havili play their rolls and get valuable minutes heading into September. Hodgo, Papalii, Whitehead, Wighton, Croker, Cotric are all named so I'm not expecting a massive drop in intensity.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

gergreg wrote:
reptar wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
Was your original response to laugh real hard at your original response?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Nah, that'd be pretty weird.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

-PJ- wrote:I don't know what to expect on Saturday. I believe we will be too good for the Warriors and win.

I'd like to see the squad named just stick to the process and play well. It's important Guler, Young, Havili play their rolls and get valuable minutes heading into September. Hodgo, Papalii, Whitehead, Wighton, Croker, Cotric are all named so I'm not expecting a massive drop in intensity.
The squad has got the job done when other players were injured. I think we will win this game by plenty. Don't shy away from the roosters in week one.
They really tried to get under our skins, they know we can beat them and they fought hard last time we played

Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Neeeegz wrote: September 5, 2019, 7:47 pm
Finchy wrote:
Matt wrote:

Why ? May I ask ?

Because Sutton plays for us, Liu plays for the Roosters.
Sorry, missed the spelling, I wasn't talking about any other teams players.
I'll type slower next time.

It wasn't directed at you Neeeegz, it was at Matt
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Northern Raider wrote: September 5, 2019, 8:27 am Losing this match will have as much impact as losing a preseason trial game.
Agree.
I can’t understand the anxiety people are having over possibly losing this game.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

If you can't see the importance of continuing winning in this competition you haven't been paying attention.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The Roosters will be primed for the taking next week - that was a bloody physical game tonight, and they will have at least JwH missing.

3rd just got a whole lot more attractive.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Winning just became important again
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Coastalraider wrote:The Roosters will be primed for the taking next week - that was a bloody physical game tonight, and they will have at least JwH missing.

3rd just got a whole lot more attractive.
Just came to say the same thing. That was a brutal game and the chooks will be sore and possibly missing some players.

From my perspective it makes winning on Saturday absolutely critical.