How should the NRL deal with significant refereeing errors?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: How should the NRL deal with significant refereeing errors?

Post by dubby »

Nine ratings are down, Fox are up.

And I can't find the source but crowds are steady steady.

I'm at the gym, I'll check later if I don't break in half again

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

At the gym !!!

For the work out or the perv ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:The NRL, well Greenburg in particular, seem all about defending/justifying/making excuses rather than showing some integrity and admitting any faults.

I agree with Dr Zaius + pigman in particular. Just make the rules as black and white as possible, then enforce them.

Like nickman said, i was enjoying the game under the crackdown. It was for the better of the game.

But thanks to media pressure
from Nine (Johns especially) and Rothfield at the DT (who along with Fox are owned by News Corp) the NRL had public pressure from its billion dollar partners to stop the crackdown. So they did.

It was folly to do so. Numbers are down for the NRL, and it's not due to the penalty counts. It's because the coaches are allowed to exploit the rules and get away with it, because the media will sook about refs trying to do their job.

Put a man with chutzpah in control.

I'd nominate:
Dr Zauis
Pickles
Pigman
Red Raider
Gerg
TR.

So I don’t even get nominated in your crappy club for jerks?

Fine then
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:Nine ratings are down, Fox are up.

And I can't find the source but crowds are steady steady.

I'm at the gym, I'll check later if I don't break in half again

Nine ratings are down simply because of the fact that fox now shows all their games and who in the **** would willingly CHOOSE nine?

Honest to god, their coverage is so inferior
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I was gobsmacked when 9 allowed Fox to simulcast their premium games.

I’m also amazed 9 didn’t try and get a Saturday afternoon game from Fox to show on GEM at the same time.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

-PJ- wrote:At the gym !!!

Workout. TR isn't here for the perv.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BJ wrote:I was gobsmacked when 9 allowed Fox to simulcast their premium games.

I’m also amazed 9 didn’t try and get a Saturday afternoon game from Fox to show on GEM at the same time.
Haha what I thought was the best was how 9 just assumed people would stay with their crappy telecast
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

-PJ- wrote:At the gym !!!

He didn't pull his phone out to post on the GH
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 31, 2019, 6:59 am
greeneyed wrote:The trouble is, they regularly “own the error”, on Monday every week, but don’t do anything else. In this case, all they’ve done in regards to the second and third point is say, we don’t ever check that in the video review of the decisions, we leave it to the on field officials, so bad luck. We just check it after the game is over and tell you then an error was made.
Correct. You own the error, then present the solution. The nrl are incompetent
So what’s the kpi? No errors from the ref? The solution there is to review every play. Make sure everyone is on side, the boot touched ball in the play the ball, both markers were straight etc etc.
The game has to flow and the refs won’t get everything, deal with it and move on.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Riaan wrote:
greeneyed wrote:The trouble is, they regularly “own the error”, on Monday every week, but don’t do anything else. In this case, all they’ve done in regards to the second and third point is say, we don’t ever check that in the video review of the decisions, we leave it to the on field officials, so bad luck. We just check it after the game is over and tell you then an error was made.
So what’s the kpi? No errors from the ref? The solution there is to review every play. Make sure everyone is on side, the boot touched ball in the play the ball, both markers were straight etc etc.
The game has to flow and the refs won’t get everything, deal with it and move on.
No one ever said that they should get everything right, everytime. The tital of the thread is significant errors, not minor gaffs.

But it's realistic to thing that at critical moments, that is at moments where either points are awarded or denied, that they do get it right. There will be times when video footage is inconclusive, and it falls back to the onfield refs decision, I think that most people can live with that. But when the video footage is conclusive, I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect that they get it 100% correct. And yes, that may mean always checking the onside of the try scoring team. It literally takes 5 seconds.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I think thats what really peeves me.
If ricky dumped 5 players every few weeks and stuffed up selection , then came out and says " oops sorry i got it wrong" would he still have the gig next season? If a player keeps doing head high tackles, can he just say " oops sorry"?

At the end of the day the refs should have got that call right in regards to the try, saying sorry doesn't take those 8 points off manly.

As fans and players and coaches etc we just want consistency and accountability.

When there are stats like the success rate of the broncos under Sutton, or our lack of success under Cummins the NRL need to look into why

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 31, 2019, 3:53 pm
Riaan wrote:
No one ever said that they should get everything right, everytime. The tital of the thread is significant errors, not minor gaffs.

But it's realistic to thing that at critical moments, that is at moments where either points are awarded or denied, that they do get it right. There will be times when video footage is inconclusive, and it falls back to the onfield refs decision, I think that most people can live with that. But when the video footage is conclusive, I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect that they get it 100% correct. And yes, that may mean always checking the onside of the try scoring team. It literally takes 5 seconds.
I take your point but I thought the bunker was to speed up decisions, ie the on field ref tells the bunker what check for. If he’s happy with the onside then that’s that.

Do people we would have even got the ball back if they had called offside. BJ kneed a guy in the back and was pretty lucky to not get the bin imo
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 31, 2019, 3:53 pm
Riaan wrote:

I take your point but I thought the bunker was to speed up decisions, ie the on field ref tells the bunker what check for. If he’s happy with the onside then that’s that.

Do people we would have even got the ball back if they had called offside. BJ kneed a guy in the back and was pretty lucky to not get the bin imo
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Riann, totally agree. I'm not expecting them to be perfect BUT every week there is major blunders and obvious bias ( be it intentional or not)

In all jobs perfection is aimed for but not expected however major blunders or sloppy work is not acceptable and is dealt with

Vaccinated
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

cat wrote: September 1, 2019, 11:03 am Riann, totally agree. I'm not expecting them to be perfect BUT every week there is major blunders and obvious bias ( be it intentional or not)
Sorry that's rubbish cat and you know it, the NRL refs are pretty poor across the board for every team, inconsistent interpretations of the rules is a big one but its the same for every team.

BTW the reason Ricky isn't complaining about there officiating this year is because we are winning more often than not, not because there is some grand master plan behind the scenes haha
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

I actually think the belief that the standard of refereeing is incredibly poor are flat out wrong! I just think the level of scrutiny is at an all time high and he speed and complexity of the game is too.

I am actually constantly impressed by the ability of the referees to be in he right position and make really good on field calls most of the time.

They make hundreds of split second decisions in every game and get the vast majority of them absolutely right.

The nature of it is that the small number of contentious calls in a round are the ones that are discussed and particularly ones that are perceived to impact the result. This is done with hours to analyse every possible camera angle rather than the 30 seconds he bunker takes.

There is a delicate balance between officiating the letter of the law and allowing the game to flow and generally I think the balance is right.

For example in the manly game although the try is the contentious call the refs could have cleaned the game up by sin binning a manly player early in the piece for repeated infringements. There would have been no argument and it would have kept them much more honest in that area. The offside was wrong but he kind of marginal call that is let go dozens of times in every game. It is also true that this is never something that has been routinely checked by the bunker and with 2 rounds to go in the regular season is not the time to change that approach!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

That kind of sound logic and calm reasoning has no place amongst the rabid hysteria of the Greenhouse, pick
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Riaan wrote: September 1, 2019, 12:23 pm
cat wrote: September 1, 2019, 11:03 am Riann, totally agree. I'm not expecting them to be perfect BUT every week there is major blunders and obvious bias ( be it intentional or not)
Sorry that's rubbish cat and you know it, the NRL refs are pretty poor across the board for every team, inconsistent interpretations of the rules is a big one but its the same for every team.

BTW the reason Ricky isn't complaining about there officiating this year is because we are winning more often than not, not because there is some grand master plan behind the scenes haha
How do you explain some of the interesting stats such as the 18 straight (could be more now) of broncos wins under sutton? We have only won twice under cummins?
Vaccinated
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

They scored more points than the opposition?

Not everything is a tin foil hat conspiracy that you keep making it out to be

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-TW- wrote:They scored more points than the opposition?

Not everything is a tin foil hat conspiracy that you keep making it out to be

It really gets so tedious too, doesn’t it?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

So very tedious..

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

3 bad calls going against the eels v Broncos last week. IMS.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nr ... e6d33d584d
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Tedious, Dr Zaius.
Tedious

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 5, 2019, 6:18 am 3 bad calls going against the eels v Broncos last week. IMS.

I cant and wont bother getting through the paywall, but was one of these mentioned the wall that **** us against Penrith a few years ago?
I watched the game and on the game winning FG, i was sure a Parra player was impeded on his way to the football.

I thought for sure they'd go to the video ref to check it
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

PigRickman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: September 5, 2019, 6:18 am 3 bad calls going against the eels v Broncos last week. IMS.

I cant and wont bother getting through the paywall, but was one of these mentioned the wall that **** us against Penrith a few years ago?
I watched the game and on the game winning FG, i was sure a Parra player was impeded on his way to the football.

Yeah the Boyd obstruction for the field goal for the win was one. nrl saying that it was a clear penalty.

The second was in the lead up with Fifita running behind his players. Identical to what Moses got pinged for earlier in the game. They are saying that should have been a penalty.

Finally he is saying that Parra disallowed try off a forward pass should have been awarded. Pass looked fine.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

PigRickman wrote: September 5, 2019, 9:06 am

Yeah that was pretty blatant. Even if gutho got around Boyd, Lodge was also there changing his line and moving into his path.