dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: On the move? This is why your club is in danger of relocation

Post by dubby »

No team is moving.

Period.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Ideally:

Sharks to Perth
Titans replaced with Second Brisbane team.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

GreenMachine wrote: September 3, 2019, 12:19 pm Ideally:

Sharks to Perth
Titans replaced with Second Brisbane team.
I agree, Sharks to Perth. The name suits over there too. I doubt the NRL moves the Gold Coast, they are too stubborn.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

15 teams except Canberra to be relocated to cities around the world with poor air transportation. Any team not showing up on time to Canberra stadium for regular round games will forfeit all games including finals to the Raiders.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Rickman wrote:
bonehead wrote: September 3, 2019, 10:13 am Souths are the obvious candidate, they don't play home games in their traditional area and are probably the most nationally generic team in the comp.
They can't get rid of Souths, too much history, too many supporters, and we all remember what happened last time!
sorry, I meant to move because their supporters are everywhere not postcode centric
Edrick The Entertainer
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Do shared teams work? Do people get on board with St George playing out of Wollongong and Kograh or does it just upset both fan bases? I think it would be a cop out to have the sharks playing half their home games in the Shire and half in Perth but it wouldn’t surprise me if the NRL tried for a 50/50 please everyone approach. I think a team needs to commit and be full time with a community. It would suck to share your team with Wagga Wagga or something!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Billy Walker wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:47 pm Do shared teams work? Do people get on board with St George playing out of Wollongong and Kograh or does it just upset both fan bases? I think it would be a cop out to have the sharks playing half their home games in the Shire and half in Perth but it wouldn’t surprise me if the NRL tried for a 50/50 please everyone approach. I think a team needs to commit and be full time with a community. It would suck to share your team with Wagga Wagga or something!
I have a mate who was an Illawarra fan who is now a died in the wool dragons fan and every single Balmain or Wests fan I know now supports the Wests Tigers after 2005 happened.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Yeah my dad and brother were balmain but now mad wests fans.

Didn't work for northern eagles because everyone hates Manly

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:59 pm Yeah my dad and brother were balmain but now mad wests fans.

Didn't work for northern eagles because everyone hates Manly

Yeah, I should've mentioned that. My best mate and his brothers are Les Kiss' nephews and they hated the Northern Eagles since their conception!

Most of them either don't support rugby league anymore except one who likes the Cowboys.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

The Rickman wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:48 pm
Billy Walker wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:47 pm Do shared teams work? Do people get on board with St George playing out of Wollongong and Kograh or does it just upset both fan bases? I think it would be a cop out to have the sharks playing half their home games in the Shire and half in Perth but it wouldn’t surprise me if the NRL tried for a 50/50 please everyone approach. I think a team needs to commit and be full time with a community. It would suck to share your team with Wagga Wagga or something!
I have a mate who was an Illawarra fan who is now a died in the wool dragons fan and every single Balmain or Wests fan I know now supports the Wests Tigers after 2005 happened.
It's dyed in the wool. Not died. Unless you're trying to say that your friend who supported the Dragons died in or wearing wool.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: September 3, 2019, 5:08 pm
The Rickman wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:48 pm
It's dyed in the wool. Not died. Unless you're trying to say that your friend who supported the Dragons died in or wearing wool.
Maybe I am, smart guy. Maybe I am.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

You're not.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Look, can we just agree to disagree on this and move on??
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I reckon we just get rid of of Cronulla completely...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I think relocation would work myself.
If you live in Perth you'd just be excited that you now have a team. As long as they win games that's really all you want.
To get a team that already has an established brand name, and some history behind it that you can learn and feel part of, adds to the experience. Same as when you start following a team, not many of us started following the Raiders from the day it started in 1982, you get on board with a team and a history.

There's really only 12,000 people that go to Sharks games. Cant they just go see them whenever they play all of the other Sydney teams? Which would be every second week anyway!
All the other fans could watch them on TV anyway, same as they do now.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

The Rickman wrote:
My old man was a die hard Steelers fan. Defected because he hated the Dragons that much.
Now he just supports which ever club Dale Finucane plays for
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Don't change it

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

It really would be a shame if they axed or moved the Titans after a few bad years. They were packing out the stadium 5 or so years back and the GC is one of the most rapidly growing areas in the country.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Phil Gould’s bold two-conference plan for future of NRL

Phil Gould has proposed a radical two conference system of nine teams each, one based in Sydney, and one outside.

"There needs to be nine teams in Sydney and nine teams outside of Sydney. Play it as a regional competition in two-conferences and then perhaps you’ve got your Sydney grand final, your regional grand final and you meet for a super grand final at the end of the year."

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 00fcc436f0

What do people think of this? I think it is incredibly Sydney-centric, designed to guarantee a Sydney team a place in the Grand Final, even if they're not in the best two teams in the country. It no doubt panders to those people who yearn for a suburban Sydney competition. But it has no place in a National Rugby League.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Yeah I don’t like his proposal. Disadvantages the non-Sydney teams too much. Regional teams would have to do so much more travelling.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Yeah how has the conference system where everyone wins a prize worked out in Super Rugby?? One of Gould’s more stupid ideas.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

2 conferences is fine, but it needs to be done by random draw at the start of the year

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Proof in the pudding... throw enough darts and you'll hit a bullseye

Agree with Gould on the conference thing

edit: the particulars of this plan arent right, but at least he's on the right track
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Australia is too small for a conference system
Also our minds are too feeble, it’s much too complicated

He only wants it so all the old boys teams are saved in Sydney.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I’ve thought about it;

Sharks, West Tigers or Manly to Perth. First to jump gets a leg up for 5 years. Large market to themselves.

2 new teams, Brisbane 2 and New Zealand 2
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Beejay wrote: September 3, 2019, 10:46 pm He only wants it so all the old boys teams are saved in Sydney.
That is the bottom line. This is why we really needed a genuinely independent ARLC.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

dubby wrote:Don't change it

I don't think any sides should be chopped or relocated, and the game can support two new teams. Perth and a second Brisbane side. We should be growing/expanding the game instead of pissing off a team's fan base.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think if i were running the game, i think i'd be looking at expansion first, to Brisbane and Perth... see how things go with the Sharks and Titoons with my eyes on a second NZ team and a second Melbourne team
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

PigRickman wrote: September 4, 2019, 8:24 am I think if i were running the game, i think i'd be looking at expansion first, to Brisbane and Perth... see how things go with the Sharks and Titoons with my eyes on a second NZ team and a second Melbourne team
Wouldn’t look to the Pacific Islands? Good growing following but probably lack the $$ and infrastructure to make it work week in week out. Would need a big backer and would end up being expensive travel I guess.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker wrote: September 4, 2019, 9:00 am
PigRickman wrote: September 4, 2019, 8:24 am I think if i were running the game, i think i'd be looking at expansion first, to Brisbane and Perth... see how things go with the Sharks and Titoons with my eyes on a second NZ team and a second Melbourne team
Wouldn’t look to the Pacific Islands? Good growing following but probably lack the $$ and infrastructure to make it work week in week out. Would need a big backer and would end up being expensive travel I guess.
For all those reasons, no. And the big reason you’d say no is that it adds nothing to the value of a broadcast deal. In fact it’d probably be negative for a broadcast deal, as its expensive to broadcast from those locations and the infrastructure for it is poor.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: September 4, 2019, 9:41 am
Billy Walker wrote: September 4, 2019, 9:00 am
For all those reasons, no. And the big reason you’d say no is that it adds nothing to the value of a broadcast deal. In fact it’d probably be negative for a broadcast deal, as its expensive to broadcast from those locations and the infrastructure for it is poor.
Unless you had a Pacific Island team that was Sydney or NZ based (to reduce travel costs) and played home games out of Sydney and NZ and one each in Fiji, Samoa and Tonga. Probably still wouldn’t work but they would end up being everyone’s second favourite team if it got up.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

2 conferences (NBA) work in the US because of travel. Even now, there is debate as to whether they will continue with the system given how strong the Western conference teams are compared to the Eastern conference, notwithstanding the fact that its swings and roundabouts.

Gould's idea is not genius. In fact, it is under cooked. You can't have a 'Sydney Conference' and 'Non Sydney conference' due to the amount of travel involved for the Non Sydney teams. It's unfair.

If your going to create 'Conferences', you need another way to determine who is in each conference.

I can't think of any way to do it apart from randomised draw - which makes no sense as you could still end up with one conference where travel is significantly impacting results.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

GreenMachine wrote: September 4, 2019, 12:34 pm 2 conferences (NBA) work in the US because of travel. Even now, there is debate as to whether they will continue with the system given how strong the Western conference teams are compared to the Eastern conference, notwithstanding the fact that its swings and roundabouts.

Gould's idea is not genius. In fact, it is under cooked. You can't have a 'Sydney Conference' and 'Non Sydney conference' due to the amount of travel involved for the Non Sydney teams. It's unfair.

If your going to create 'Conferences', you need another way to determine who is in each conference.

I can't think of any way to do it apart from randomised draw - which makes no sense as you could still end up with one conference where travel is significantly impacting results.
Yeah I don’t like it. Look at Super Rugby with the Australian, NZ and South African conference system. There have been years where all the kiwi sides are stronger than anyone else in the comp but every conference is guaranteed 2 places in the finals. You end up with the second best Australian team making the finals when in reality they are the 9th or 10th best team in the comp.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

greeneyed wrote: September 3, 2019, 8:07 pm Phil Gould’s bold two-conference plan for future of NRL

Phil Gould has proposed a radical two conference system of nine teams each, one based in Sydney, and one outside.

"There needs to be nine teams in Sydney and nine teams outside of Sydney. Play it as a regional competition in two-conferences and then perhaps you’ve got your Sydney grand final, your regional grand final and you meet for a super grand final at the end of the year."

What do people think of this? I think it is incredibly Sydney-centric, designed to guarantee a Sydney team a place in the Grand Final, even if they're not in the best two teams in the country. It no doubt panders to those people who yearn for a suburban Sydney competition. But it has no place in a National Rugby League.
Works well in the U.S. We ain’t ‘specIal’
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

sprintman wrote: September 4, 2019, 2:41 pm
greeneyed wrote: September 3, 2019, 8:07 pm Phil Gould’s bold two-conference plan for future of NRL

Works well in the U.S. We ain’t ‘specIal’
What's being proposed isn't anything like the NFL in the USA. This is basically the resumption of a suburban Sydney competition, and guaranteeing the winner a spot in a Grand Final against teams that are playing in what is virtually a national competition. I think it'd be very tempting for the one town teams to set up an actual national competition and it'd be Super League 2. And, of course, the Sydney centric views that Gould holds were the very reason for Super League's emergence.

What's happened in the NFL is an accident of history, really, with competing leagues eventually marrying back up through the Super Bowl.