Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Re: 2019 Rd 25 V Warriors: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Kryptonite »

GreenMachine wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:49 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:34 pm
Azza wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:22 pm
greeneyed wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:02 pm I don't much like that team...
I think it's fine in the circumstances. What's your issue?
I think if anything it doesn’t go far enough.

If you’re playing around with the spine, you may as well give wighton a rest too, and with the depth we have you could easily give papa/whitehead/hodgo the day off as well.

That may happen anyway with tapine, starling, Williams to come in later in the week.
I think Ricky will go all the way if the Roosters beat Souths. It basically renders our match irrelevant and therefore no need to take any risks at all.
I understand people want to win our final game at home - but at what potential cost.
I think you will see the changes you suggest if the game is a dead rubber.
And Sticky should know, snapping an ankle back in 93 a game out of finals in a year he won the Dally M and was on fire, needless to say history tells the story
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

-PJ- wrote:I would prefer our strongest side plays.

There's no rotation policy here, we aren't the AUS cricket team.

Niggling injuries are a different beast..

Let Bateman play, he's a deadset maniac !!!
But at least he is our maniac

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Matt wrote:
The Rickman wrote: September 3, 2019, 5:11 pm What will also be a key battle on Saturday will be Hudson Young vs Ryan Sutton for the final bench spot when Tapine returns. For mine, Young is slightly ahead. Lui and Horsburgh already have their spots locked down.

Havili should also be given some serious minutes too, whether by resting Papalii or Hodgson more during the game.
I'd take Sutton over Liu TBH
Why ? May I ask ?

Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Neeeegz wrote: September 3, 2019, 9:45 pm
Matt wrote:
The Rickman wrote: September 3, 2019, 5:11 pm What will also be a key battle on Saturday will be Hudson Young vs Ryan Sutton for the final bench spot when Tapine returns. For mine, Young is slightly ahead. Lui and Horsburgh already have their spots locked down.

Havili should also be given some serious minutes too, whether by resting Papalii or Hodgson more during the game.
Why ? May I ask ?

Because Sutton plays for us, Liu plays for the Roosters.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

Kryptonite wrote: September 3, 2019, 9:34 pm
GreenMachine wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:49 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:34 pm
Azza wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:22 pm
greeneyed wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:02 pm I don't much like that team...
I think it's fine in the circumstances. What's your issue?
I think if anything it doesn’t go far enough.

If you’re playing around with the spine, you may as well give wighton a rest too, and with the depth we have you could easily give papa/whitehead/hodgo the day off as well.

That may happen anyway with tapine, starling, Williams to come in later in the week.
I think Ricky will go all the way if the Roosters beat Souths. It basically renders our match irrelevant and therefore no need to take any risks at all.
I understand people want to win our final game at home - but at what potential cost.
I think you will see the changes you suggest if the game is a dead rubber.
And Sticky should know, snapping an ankle back in 93 a game out of finals in a year he won the Dally M and was on fire, needless to say history tells the story
I think Ricky prefers we finish fourth so we play Storm in Melb rather then finish third and play Roosters in Finals first.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I've got Tapine and Young in my best 17 at this stage
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

I hope the raiders are only resting players with injuries that need the week to freshen up. We also need to go out to win his game.

It’s not that I don’t agree with resting players who need it. I just think you also need the attitude of wanting to win every game you play in, especially heading into the finals.

I also think it would be good for the team to get a win at home heading into the finals. There’s some long suffering fans who ho turn up week in week out and haven’t had a win to cheer at home for a while!
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Matt wrote:

Why ? May I ask ?

Mobility, motor, effort, defense
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Matt wrote: September 4, 2019, 6:36 am
Matt wrote:

Why ? May I ask ?

Lui has had a great season.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

pickles wrote: September 4, 2019, 5:28 am I hope the raiders are only resting players with injuries that need the week to freshen up. We also need to go out to win his game.

It’s not that I don’t agree with resting players who need it. I just think you also need the attitude of wanting to win every game you play in, especially heading into the finals.

I also think it would be good for the team to get a win at home heading into the finals. There’s some long suffering fans who ho turn up week in week out and haven’t had a win to cheer at home for a while!
Agree with this. If we played with the goal of avoiding the Roosters this match and everything goes as expected we'd then fall on to their side of the draw for a GF qualifier. As such I don't think Stuart will have that line of thinking.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Everything I have seen from Ricky in the last couple of month leads me to believe he doesn't care at all who we play in the finals. He is confident the determining factor in any game is us. If we stick to our game plan, execute and dont get dragged into playing any other teams style of play, we will win. His thinking this week I would guess has nothing at all to do with who we play in week one, and everything to do with those 4 players having a huge benefit in a 2 week break. CNK, Rapa, and Bateman all look like they have ben carrying niggles, and I have commented already this year that Sia has been fatiguing after a long run of consistent footy - he has played his best early in the season, and after byes when he is fresh. He will come out absolutely firing week 1 for us.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I keep seeing rain forecast.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: September 3, 2019, 5:50 pm Glad to see a number of them rested there. I would've like to see Papalii get a spell given how much he's played this year, but he must've wanted to play.

Suspect Hodgo will get some time on the bench with Havili getting decent minutes.

Tapine surely a late inclusion for Collins on the bench?
I think Tapine will get a run too, he needs the minutes in his legs.
I think you're right about Hodgson and i would extend that to Papalii... if i had to guess, i would be bet both are play under 40 minutes. Papalii might only get 20
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I hope the coach and team don’t have the approach of, this is easy, even with our fringe players. Or have the idea of... let’s only play blokes for 20 who normally play 40 or 50. This will be a tough game... and the team will get an ugly surprise if they think otherwise.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

greeneyed wrote: September 4, 2019, 9:39 am I hope the coach and team don’t have the approach of, this is easy, even with our fringe players. Or have the idea of... let’s only play blokes for 20 who normally play 40 or 50. This will be a tough game... and the team will get an ugly surprise if they think otherwise.
I really don't think that is the attitude. Stuart will be at pains to portray this as an audition for those players called in, and want them to step up. The lineup is similar to what we had to field in the Bulldogs game. If we are switched on, we should win - but it will be tough.

Again, I stress - this is not a common situation - having such a tough run, off the back of a 90 minute game on a 6 day turnaround. It would be silly to risk players carrying niggles, and even players like Hodgson/Wighton/Papalii who are vital.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Couple of thoughts.

Wouldn't it make sense for the Mounties elimination final to be the curtain raiser?

Collins over Murchie? Murchie is the like for like replacement with Young starting.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

TongueFTW wrote: September 4, 2019, 9:48 am
greeneyed wrote: September 4, 2019, 9:39 am I hope the coach and team don’t have the approach of, this is easy, even with our fringe players. Or have the idea of... let’s only play blokes for 20 who normally play 40 or 50. This will be a tough game... and the team will get an ugly surprise if they think otherwise.
I really don't think that is the attitude. Stuart will be at pains to portray this as an audition for those players called in, and want them to step up. The lineup is similar to what we had to field in the Bulldogs game. If we are switched on, we should win - but it will be tough.

Again, I stress - this is not a common situation - having such a tough run, off the back of a 90 minute game on a 6 day turnaround. It would be silly to risk players carrying niggles, and even players like Hodgson/Wighton/Papalii who are vital.
I only made that comment as some of the fans seem to have that view. Of course, the only thing that counts is what the coaches and players are thinking.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: September 4, 2019, 10:18 am
TongueFTW wrote: September 4, 2019, 9:48 am

I only made that comment as some of the fans seem to have that view. Of course, the only thing that counts is what the coaches and players are thinking.
I agree with Fergus 100% on this one. I hope the players aren't viewing this game in the same light as many of our fans are, they'll be asking for disaster.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

julian87 wrote: September 4, 2019, 9:49 am Couple of thoughts.

Wouldn't it make sense for the Mounties elimination final to be the curtain raiser?
Plus have Jersey Flegg before that. It would have made sense...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

I don't think Ricky cares who we play week 1 of the finals and this is all about ensuring the team (which has been playing high level football for over a month) is healthy for the finals.

Take a look at the extended 21 and it's easy to see that Tapine, Williams and Starling will come into the team on game day IMO.

Hodgson, Papalii and Wighton will all be rested, and rightfully so IMO.

There is no need to risk our key personnel for a dead rubber. I understand the point about 'winning every game' but at what potential cost? We are finals ready based purely on the game situations we have encountered and had to manage through the last month.

The Roosters, Storm and Rabbits (the only teams IMO in the race with us for the title) have all had a considerably easier month running into the finals. They also have players either returning from injury or well rested due to suspension or tactical changes.

This is one of those rare weekends where I don't care about the result.

I only care about all players coming through uninjured. Ricky understands this (1993) and I support the approach.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The other question is... is losing to the Warriors on the eve of the finals, good preparation for the finals? I'd think not.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Coastalraider wrote: September 4, 2019, 7:56 am Everything I have seen from Ricky in the last couple of month leads me to believe he doesn't care at all who we play in the finals. He is confident the determining factor in any game is us. If we stick to our game plan, execute and dont get dragged into playing any other teams style of play, we will win. His thinking this week I would guess has nothing at all to do with who we play in week one, and everything to do with those 4 players having a huge benefit in a 2 week break. CNK, Rapa, and Bateman all look like they have ben carrying niggles, and I have commented already this year that Sia has been fatiguing after a long run of consistent footy - he has played his best early in the season, and after byes when he is fresh. He will come out absolutely firing week 1 for us.
That's how I see it too. It's all about our team. Nothing about who we play.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: September 4, 2019, 10:24 am The other question is... is losing to the Warriors on the eve of the finals, good preparation for the finals? I'd think not.
A win is better for the fans but losing won't mean anything for next week. Everyone will have their game faces on for week 1.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

zim wrote: September 4, 2019, 10:30 am
greeneyed wrote: September 4, 2019, 10:24 am The other question is... is losing to the Warriors on the eve of the finals, good preparation for the finals? I'd think not.
A win is better for the fans but losing won't mean anything for next week. Everyone will have their game faces on for week 1.
Exactly.
I honestly don't see a loss to the Warriors as a disaster at all.
Think of it as a trial match. You try to win it, but not at the expense of injuries.
The season starts next weekend.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Bay53 wrote: September 4, 2019, 7:13 am
Matt wrote: September 4, 2019, 6:36 am
Matt wrote:

Why ? May I ask ?

Lui has had a great season.
He sure has. If he doesn't make the team it will be no slight on his performance, it will solely be based on who the coaching staff think is best served to keep the middle tight. As a team who is building their identity on defence this has to be our approach. For mine, Sutton does that job better than Lui.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

GreenMachine wrote: September 4, 2019, 10:35 am
Exactly.
Think of it as a trial match. You try to win it, but not at the expense of injuries.
I thought we'd learned the lesson that that sort of mentality is dangerous for a footy team. Craig Bellamy would never have that mentality going into any match, even if resting players after Origin, for example.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: September 4, 2019, 10:42 am
GreenMachine wrote: September 4, 2019, 10:35 am
Exactly.
I thought we'd learned the lesson that that sort of mentality is dangerous for a footy team. Craig Bellamy would never have that mentality going into any match, even if resting players after Origin, for example.
There is nothing to play for against the Warriors. I’d agree with you if there was.

Giving the fringe team and bench personnel a run is important. Preserving the health of our mainstay guys even more so.

We’re battle hardened. We’ve had an ideal preparation. If our form had been horrible running in I would agree that the team needs continuity.

It’s just not the case right now.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I don't think the club is taking Warriors lightly at all. The resting of Nicoll-Klokstad, Rapana, Soliola and Bateman simply tells me they have a legitimate injury/niggle that resting will give them a better chance to be 100% for Week 1 of the Finals.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Wiki Special wrote: September 4, 2019, 10:54 am I don't think the club is taking Warriors lightly at all. The resting of Nicoll-Klokstad, Rapana, Soliola and Bateman simply tells me they have a legitimate injury/niggle that resting will give them a better chance to be 100% for Week 1 of the Finals.
There's two different discussions happening here, nobody has a problem with those four players being rested.

It's the ridiculous notion that the rest of them get given the day off that I think most of us have an issue with.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

It’s Lui’s consistency, willingness to take tough hit ups when we are struggling and his excellent goal line defence that wins him a place in the 17 for me.

I agree that some of the others offer more in attack and flashiness than Lui, but our team needs a couple of calm and reliable players amongst the potential match winners we have.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

No way Ricky is taking this game lightly. It's just not his style.

Resting guys with niggles just shows he thinks we are a legitimate chance of going the whole way and is planning for another month of footy.

And I don't see how resting those guys means the rest of the team will phone it in. Most of the guys coming in will be playing their guts out to show Ricky they're the man if there's a sniff of an opportunity during the finals.

The majority of the team is unchanged and they will be totally focused on executing the game plan they've fallen away from at times over the last few weeks. I reckon Ricky will have told Hodgo and the halves to ensure every set ends with a decent option.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Ruben Daley wrote: September 4, 2019, 12:05 pm No way Ricky is taking this game lightly. It's just not his style.

Resting guys with niggles just shows he thinks we are a legitimate chance of going the whole way and is planning for another month of footy.

And I don't see how resting those guys means the rest of the team will phone it in. Most of the guys coming in will be playing their guts out to show Ricky they're the man if there's a sniff of an opportunity during the finals.

The majority of the team is unchanged and they will be totally focused on executing the game plan they've fallen away from at times over the last few weeks. I reckon Ricky will have told Hodgo and the halves to ensure every set ends with a decent option.
Again, there's two separate discussions taking place here, and I think you're missing the reason most of us are debating. Nobody has a problem with those four guys being rested.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I don't think resting key personnel means were taking the game lightly.
I also don't believe we go into the match with any other mentality apart from wanting to win - regardless who lines up.

I suspect if the Roosters roll the Rabbits, there will be absolutely nothing to play for, as our position in the top 4 cannot change and more players will be rightfully rested.

I think some people are a little 'scarred' from past experience and seem to equate resting key personnel with 'phoning it in'. Its a ridiculous association to make if you have paid any attention to the schedule we have just come through and our form during that schedule.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Ruben Daley wrote: September 4, 2019, 12:05 pm No way Ricky is taking this game lightly. It's just not his style.

Yeah I agree with this 100% and the point I was going to make is the same one you've made, putting the onus on the regular bench and fringe players to come in and see the regular season out on behalf of their mates can't be underestimated. To Ricky's credit this is a club, not a 1st grade team and they look like a group playing for each other. It's beneficial that we get more run in the legs of guys like Havili, Horse, Lui and even Sam Williams who could be called upon for a bigger role in the finals. Personally I wouldn't be playing Papa, Hodgson or Wighton either and I still think the replacements could come in and do a job against the Warriors, and that isn't taking the Warriors lightly and throwing away 2 points, I genuinely think we can get what we want out of the game with minimal risk to the overall goal. I also think it would be beneficial especially after the events of last week to give Sezer the keys and let him run the show, I don't think that is breaking any combos but moreso preparing him for the next month and getting his hands on the ball more.

As has been mentioned multiple times, these chances are few and far between and i'm still not completely over being there in the outer ground in 1993 hearing Sticky screaming in pain in that final match against Parra. Personally I think minimising any of those big risks are worth it, even if we drop the game. I think the recent Storm and Sharks games have given us enough confidence and momentum to go all the way even if a few guys are wrapped in cotton wool for a week.

Assuming we play the Roosters week 1, it is fair to predict they are going to be in a heck of a game on Thursday against their arch rivals that have more to play for. Going in fresh against them in week 1 is potentially the key to the entire finals series, we win that game next week and we are in with the biggest shout in over 2 decades, even moreso than 2016 with a home prelim on the horizon. This could be one of the few exception to the age old cliche of taking it a week at a time.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Woodgers wrote: September 4, 2019, 1:06 pm

Yeah I agree with this 100% and the point I was going to make is the same one you've made, putting the onus on the regular bench and fringe players to come in and see the regular season out on behalf of their mates can't be underestimated. To Ricky's credit this is a club, not a 1st grade team and they look like a group playing for each other. It's beneficial that we get more run in the legs of guys like Havili, Horse, Lui and even Sam Williams who could be called upon for a bigger role in the finals. Personally I wouldn't be playing Papa, Hodgson or Wighton either and I still think the replacements could come in and do a job against the Warriors, and that isn't taking the Warriors lightly and throwing away 2 points, I genuinely think we can get what we want out of the game with minimal risk to the overall goal. I also think it would be beneficial especially after the events of last week to give Sezer the keys and let him run the show, I don't think that is breaking any combos but moreso preparing him for the next month and getting his hands on the ball more.

As has been mentioned multiple times, these chances are few and far between and i'm still not completely over being there in the outer ground in 1993 hearing Sticky screaming in pain in that final match against Parra. Personally I think minimising any of those big risks are worth it, even if we drop the game. I think the recent Storm and Sharks games have given us enough confidence and momentum to go all the way even if a few guys are wrapped in cotton wool for a week.

Assuming we play the Roosters week 1, it is fair to predict they are going to be in a heck of a game on Thursday against their arch rivals that have more to play for. Going in fresh against them in week 1 is potentially the key to the entire finals series, we win that game next week and we are in with the biggest shout in over 2 decades, even moreso than 2016 with a home prelim on the horizon. This could be one of the few exception to the age old cliche of taking it a week at a time.
100%.
Sometimes you need to look at the bigger picture and be fluid in your approach. This is one of those rare times IMO and I think Stick is thinking the same.