Warriors 13+
6%

Total votes: 16

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: 2019 Rd 25 V Warriors: Teams and Previews

Post by The Nickman »

Mickey_Raider wrote:Obviously the aim is to win week one, however, if we were to lose, it is arguably a tougher run making the gf from fourth.

If we run fourth and lose first week, we will likely have to play manly week 2 and roosters in the prelim en route to the gf.

This is compared to playing likely parra/broncos week 2 and storm in the prelim.

I think that the second route is a little easier to navigate, although it might be potato potahto.

Clearly though, winning first week is the first preference. By springing the upset, we would open up the chance of storm or roosters knocking each other out in the prelim.
Very good point. Playing roosters in the first week of the finals is absolutely the better scenario.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

I get the feeling the Roosters would prefer not to play us. Robinson was strange before our second game this year calling us “predictable” in attack, and his other mind games (usually he refrains from mentioning the opposition). It was an attempt to have us go back to the 2017/2018 style of ad lib play to prove him wrong. They are the best team in the comp but on our day, I really think we can get them.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'd like to see the team go full throttle for 50/60 minutes and then ease off a bit by resting a few. Much like we did to the Warriors a month or so back. CNK and Bateman to be first off for a bit of rest.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

TongueFTW wrote: September 3, 2019, 7:27 am I get the feeling the Roosters would prefer not to play us. Robinson was strange before our second game this year calling us “predictable” in attack, and his other mind games (usually he refrains from mentioning the opposition). It was an attempt to have us go back to the 2017/2018 style of ad lib play to prove him wrong. They are the best team in the comp but on our day, I really think we can get them.
Agree 100%.
That comment he made about us being 'predictable' made me think he is not comfortable - the attempt at 'mind games', you never see it from him.

I like our chances week 1 at the SCG against the Roosters better than down in Melbourne again.

However, I will say that the Storm's swapping of the halves so close to finals is a head scratcher....History will judge it as either a genius move or the best self sabotage attempt a team could possibly attempt. I still think there is vulnerability in the halves when playing the Storm, whereas the Roosters really are all about the momentum they generate from Teddy.

Pick your poison really.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

TongueFTW wrote: September 3, 2019, 7:27 am I get the feeling the Roosters would prefer not to play us. Robinson was strange before our second game this year calling us “predictable” in attack, and his other mind games (usually he refrains from mentioning the opposition). It was an attempt to have us go back to the 2017/2018 style of ad lib play to prove him wrong. They are the best team in the comp but on our day, I really think we can get them.
I think both Melbourne and Easts would rather play Souths than Canberra week 1. And I'd say teams in the bottom 4 of the 8 would be hoping to run into them week 2.

Souths last 6 weeks:

Scraped home against Illawarra. Only winning with an 80th minute Graham try after a short kick off.
Steamrolled by Cronulla
Played well, but beaten by Melbourne
Beaten by Canterbury in a dire affair where they didn't even score a try
Just held on to beat Brisbane in what was an entertaining game, but not a high quality one IMO
Unconvincing win against a hapless Auckland that was 2 tries a piece up until the final quarter of the match

For some strange reason a pocket of people have been talking them up again because they beat Brisbane. Brisbane without TPJ, their first 2/3 halfback options and Boyd at five-eighth.

They're tough and they did beat us early this year. My take is they had heart murmurs during the national anthem talk in week 1 of origin and then had a mild heart attack when Fittler hooked Cody Walker. Cody Walker wasn't even in the discussion in the off season but was the best player in the competition for the first 12 weeks by a long way and all of the sudden was in Origin. He's a great player but has been a mere shadow of that force since. And while Cook is gun Walker adds their creativity in attack that they plainly don't have from halfback (besides kicks) or fullback or anywhere else really.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I think we will beat the Roosters in Week 1 of the Finals also, really want them rather than the Storm. Regardless, if we win Week 1 our Home Prelim will either be against Souths or a 5-8 team with the Storm and Roosters playing their Grand Final a week early, likely against one another. I really want that scenario.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

I'd rather play the Storm as I would love to think that the Roosters then lose before they play us... I don't think you want to have to beat the Roosters twice.

But most important thing is to win week 1 of the finals, irrespective of who we play.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Boomercm wrote:I'd rather play the Storm as I would love to think that the Roosters then lose before they play us... I don't think you want to have to beat the Roosters twice.

But most important thing is to win week 1 of the finals, irrespective of who we play.
If we lose to the storm the odds are we play the roosters two weeks later anyway
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I want the roosters in week 1. We give them the business and then into major semi against probably Manly/Souths... Give me that **** all day every day
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Let's hope there are a few upsets in the finals and we cause one of them - would be so boring otherwise.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL Team: Raiders V Warriors

Canberra Raiders V New Zealand Warriors
Saturday September 3:00pm
Canberra Stadium
Gates open: 12:30pm
Katrina Fanning Shield Grand Final: Yass Magpies V Valley Dragons, 12:45pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3

The Canberra Raiders have named their squad for Saturday’s match against the Warriors at GIO Stadium.

With the Raiders securing a top four position last weekend with a win over the Sharks, Coach Ricky Stuart has used the match to rest several of his players.

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Jordan Rapana, Sia Soliola and John Bateman will all be given the week off, which sees several positional changes for Saturday.

Bailey Simonsson will start at fullback for Nicoll-Klokstad, with Michael Oldfield returning to the team on the wing. Sebastian Kris replaces Jordan Rapana who has been named in the extended squad.

Dunamis Lui will start the match in the front row for Sia Soliola, with Emre Guler named on the bench. Hudson Young will also start for John Bateman, which sees JJ Collins given an opportunity from the bench.

Joe Tapine has been named on an extended bench but will only play if he fully recovers from a rib injury.

Canberra Raiders media

Canberra Raiders

1. Bailey Simonsson
2. Michael Oldfield
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Nick Cotric
5. Sebastian Kris
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Siliva Havili
15. Emre Guler
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. JJ Collins

18. Sam Williams
19. Joe Tapine
20. Jordan Rapana
21. Tom Starling

New Zealand Warriors

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (C)
2. David Fusitu’a
3. Adam Pompey
4. Blake Ayshford
5. Ken Maumalo
6. Kodi Nikorima
7. Blake Green
8. Agnatius Paasi
9. Issac Luke
10. Leeson Ah Mau
11. Adam Blair
12. Isaiah Papali’i
13. Jazz Tevaga

14. Lachlan Burr
15. Bunty Afoa
16. Ligi Sao
17. Adam Keighran

18. Josh Curran
20. Taane Milne
21. Hayze Perham
22. Leivaha Pulu

Officials

Referees: Matt Cecchin, Adam Cassidy
Sideline Officials: Tim Alouani-Roby, Rickey McFarlane
Video Referees: Jared Maxwell, Bryan Norrie

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRaidersWarriors

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2019 #FromAllAngles

NSW Cup team: Click here

Jersey Flegg team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Rd 25 V Warriors: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by greeneyed »

I don't much like that team...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I like it...common sense approach.
I suspect there will be more changes to the starting side if the Roosters beat the Rabbits on Thursday:

Havili in for Hodgson. (Starling to Bench)
Horsburgh in for Papali. (Tapine to Bench)
Williams in for Wighton.
Last edited by GreenMachine on September 3, 2019, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

I like it. Reckon we can still get the job done but won’t be hugely disappointed if we lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Not a fan of Cotric at centre when you're flipping it around that much. Unless he's lining up there next week (maybe he is) he should be on the left with Croker and we run with Kris at right centre and Oldfield right wing.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

GreenMachine wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:04 pm I like it...common sense approach.
I suspect there will be more changes to the starting side if the Roosters beat the Rabbits on Thursday.
Why? What's the diff between 3rd and 4th?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote:The message that made Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad's leap of faith at the Canberra Raiders worth the risk

The nerves had been brewing in Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad's stomach for months.

"It wasn't until my partner spent a couple of weeks away from Canberra that she messaged and just said 'I actually miss Canberra'. That was all I was wanting to hear the whole time. It gave me a really big sense of relief and gratitude that Canberra is such a good place."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Love you, Charnze.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Hazza wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:11 pm
GreenMachine wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:04 pm I like it...common sense approach.
I suspect there will be more changes to the starting side if the Roosters beat the Rabbits on Thursday.
Why? What's the diff between 3rd and 4th?
Not much to be honest. Stick could make more changes and I suspect he might either way.
I would prefer to play the Roosters than the Storm in week 1.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I like it. Plenty of minutes for everyone on the bench and early showers for Hodgson, whitehead and papalii.
Up The Milk
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

dubby wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:12 pm
greeneyed wrote:The message that made Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad's leap of faith at the Canberra Raiders worth the risk

"It wasn't until my partner spent a couple of weeks away from Canberra that she messaged and just said 'I actually miss Canberra'. That was all I was wanting to hear the whole time. It gave me a really big sense of relief and gratitude that Canberra is such a good place."

Love you, Charnze.

Well you've changed your tune since early in the year :lol: :lol:
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

greeneyed wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:02 pm I don't much like that team...
I think it's fine in the circumstances. What's your issue?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That team should still comfortably beat the warriors

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I don't mind this team. The important thing is Hodgson, Sezer and Wighton get time in the middle to work on their communication and last tackle options.

Bateman, CNK and Rapana all look like they could us a spell, Sia hitting the finals fresh is a good idea too.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

A rare opportunity for us to rest players , When was the last time we were in this position .
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Azza wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:22 pm
I think if anything it doesn’t go far enough.

If you’re playing around with the spine, you may as well give wighton a rest too, and with the depth we have you could easily give papa/whitehead/hodgo the day off as well.

That may happen anyway with tapine, starling, Williams to come in later in the week.
Up The Milk
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

-TW- wrote:That team should still comfortably beat the warriors

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk
Dunno about comfortably.

This is a view to the finals. Clearly some lads need a rest.

Let's focus on the premiership, not 2 points.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I think it's a good balance between resting players who clearly need a spell and trying to maintain momentum and combinations going into the finals.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Really excited to see Simo at fullback actually. With his pace I can see him creating a lot of chances on the sweep plays compared to CNK.

Also excited the club is going good enough to be able to rest players.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Mickey_Raider wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:34 pm

If you’re playing around with the spine, you may as well give wighton a rest too, and with the depth we have you could easily give papa/whitehead/hodgo the day off as well.

That may happen anyway with tapine, starling, Williams to come in later in the week.
I think Ricky will go all the way if the Roosters beat Souths. It basically renders our match irrelevant and therefore no need to take any risks at all.
I understand people want to win our final game at home - but at what potential cost.
I think you will see the changes you suggest if the game is a dead rubber.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

GreenMachine wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:49 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:34 pm

I think Ricky will go all the way if the Roosters beat Souths. It basically renders our match irrelevant and therefore no need to take any risks at all.
I understand people want to win our final game at home - but at what potential cost.
I think you will see the changes you suggest if the game is a dead rubber.
I really hope he doesn't. Completely disrupting the entire team's performance one week out from the finals could be a complete disaster IMO.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The Rickman wrote:I don't mind this team. The important thing is Hodgson, Sezer and Wighton get time in the middle to work on their communication and last tackle options.

Bateman, CNK and Rapana all look like they could us a spell, Sia hitting the finals fresh is a good idea too.
Agree with Nicko.

Jack, Sezer and Hodge can work on their game. Our gameplay doesn't really rely in CNK anyway.
Plus he's busted up and needs a week off. He's earned it.

It's also good opportunity to give the reggie's one last NRL opportunity before the finals. Good chance to be exposed to that level.

Go raiders.

Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

dubby wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:12 pm

Love you, Charnze.

Well you've changed your tune since early in the year :lol: :lol:
I was thinking the same thing! He didn't want him in first grade ever again after a round 1, 21-0 victory.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Agree. There is a balance to be had. Completely resting everyone - even if they aren't injured - is asking for trouble.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

The Rickman wrote: September 3, 2019, 4:33 pm I don't mind this team. The important thing is Hodgson, Sezer and Wighton get time in the middle to work on their communication and last tackle options.
Yep they need as many minutes on the park as possible.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Finishing third would be much better than finishing fourth IMO as it would give us the ‘smoother’ side of the draw in finals. I guess if Souths lose on Thursday, third spot is pretty much guaranteed anyway

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'