Retain or release?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: Retain or release?

Post by edwahu »

Shouldn't this be re-sign or don't? Release opens up a whole different can of worms.

Luke Bateman - I'd be keeping him if he takes a near minimum deal. I am his biggest critic but I think he would suit our current style and he would probably play 2 games a year.
Royce Hunt - Don't re-sign.
Sebastian Kris - Retain. He is no star but he didn't let anyone down in his games.
Andre Niko - No idea, which probably means release.
Brendan O’Hagan - Haven't seen a lot of him but his defense never looked like it got to the point it needed. Don't re-sign.
Kyle Patterson - Good reports on him, re-sign.
Reuben Porter - See Niko.
Jordan Rapana - Retain. I know Simonsson is a great prospect but he is almost guaranteed to struggle sometime within his first three seasons. It happens every time with rookies.
Harley Smith Shields - Is he actually off contract?
Sam Williams - Re-sign if he wants to stay cheaply and we can't somehow convince Sezer to be a backup.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Re-sign or don't doesn't have any alliteration, does it?!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

We shouldn't assume young players will improve. Some do, others don't. Of course there is always space for shuffling round within the squad. This time last year I doubt any would have had Horsburgh and Young ahead of Guler and Murchie.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Retain or release?

Post by The Nickman »

Personally I think the title “Re-sign or **** Off” is a more catchy one

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: September 2, 2019, 5:08 pm We shouldn't assume young players will improve. Some do, others don't. Of course there is always space for shuffling round within the squad. This time last year I doubt any would have had Horsburgh and Young ahead of Guler and Murchie.
And the letters CNK wouldn’t have meant much to most. Be nice to think we could unearth a little more talent like we did this year but between CNK and Bateman we’ve had a decent run in recruitment pay dirt!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: September 2, 2019, 5:11 pm Personally I think the title “Re-sign or **** Off” is a more catchy one
A combination of RickMan's Pick, Man and PigRickMan's "Get the **** outta here, ****" would be alright
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I much prefer the title "Pigman's a ****".

Whatever happened to that segment?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Too soon, NR
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

vale :(
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Sorry, didn't realise the wound was still open. :(
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

We're still all very upset that our segments were all canned. Myself, little Nock was devastated, little reptar hardly posts anymore, little Hbomb is in rehab I think these days... really distressing stuff for all involved, ESPECIALLY Frank the cat.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

The Rickman wrote:We're still all very upset that our segments were all canned. Myself, little Nock was devastated, little reptar hardly posts anymore, little Hbomb is in rehab I think these days... really distressing stuff for all involved, ESPECIALLY Frank the cat.
Frank just sits there and stares at me.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

It's a good thing cats don't talk. In fact, they don't need to when they can glare

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Murchie to Super League. Is this old news?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

sprintman wrote: September 30, 2019, 10:33 pm Murchie to Super League. Is this old news?
Just a reminder.. if you post something like this, you need to post a link.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I presume this is the story...

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/reports- ... ubs-22828/

Munchie and Sam Williams among 13 players “offered” to Super League clubs. I think this means their managers have contacted other clubs, reportedly.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I think Murchie would be a bit silly to go to Super League at this stage.

His best is very good, he just needs to do it more often. There are too many games where you watch and forget he is playing. I would have thought he would be making an impact in nearly every game in NSW Cup by now.

However these things can turn Around quickly. It is not beyond him to have a big pre season and become a regular.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Bay53 wrote: October 1, 2019, 5:40 am I think Murchie would be a bit silly to go to Super League at this stage.

His best is very good, he just needs to do it more often. There are too many games where you watch and forget he is playing. I would have thought he would be making an impact in nearly every game in NSW Cup by now.

However these things can turn Around quickly. It is not beyond him to have a big pre season and become a regular.
That's true. But the ESL is not a one-way trip anymore, so maybe going over there could be the opportunity he needs to lift his game and stake a claim for a return to the NRL in two years. He does feel very young to be going over.

I'm more surprised the club would let Williams go. Assuming Sezer leaves, as expected, we need Sam to fulfil the back-up half role. Particularly now Hingano is gone. Unless our young halves are now up to the job.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Ruben Daley wrote: October 1, 2019, 7:00 am
Bay53 wrote: October 1, 2019, 5:40 am I think Murchie would be a bit silly to go to Super League at this stage.

That's true. But the ESL is not a one-way trip anymore, so maybe going over there could be the opportunity he needs to lift his game and stake a claim for a return to the NRL in two years. He does feel very young to be going over.

I'm more surprised the club would let Williams go. Assuming Sezer leaves, as expected, we need Sam to fulfil the back-up half role. Particularly now Hingano is gone. Unless our young halves are now up to the job.
Well I think the point is Sezer isn't leaving anymore. He's still under contract, and doesn't appear to want to go anywhere. On the other hand, Williams is off contract.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, I'm not sure why Sezer would want to leave after winning a Premiership and the Clive Churchill medal at the Raiders.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: October 1, 2019, 10:59 am Yeah, I'm not sure why Sezer would want to leave after winning a Premiership and the Clive Churchill medal at the Raiders.
Funny thing is you said this mid season, slightly taking the piss. It's closer than ever to becoming true now.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: October 1, 2019, 11:12 am
The Rickman wrote: October 1, 2019, 10:59 am Yeah, I'm not sure why Sezer would want to leave after winning a Premiership and the Clive Churchill medal at the Raiders.
Funny thing is you said this mid season, slightly taking the piss. It's closer than ever to becoming true now.
I've never been more serious!

Why do people keep thinking I'm taking the piss??
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Rickman wrote:

Might be that vial of yellow liquid you are holding in your left hand.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BJ wrote: October 1, 2019, 11:26 am
The Rickman wrote:

Oh this?? This... this is nothing...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: October 1, 2019, 12:06 pm
BJ wrote: October 1, 2019, 11:26 am
The Rickman wrote:

Oh this?? This... this is nothing...
You told me it was Gatorade. Sure didn't taste like Gatorade.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

:(
edwahu wrote: September 2, 2019, 4:37 pm

Harley Smith Shields - Is he actually off contract?
I don’t think so, I’m sure his dad told me he was signed for 2years at the start of the year
Last edited by Manbush on October 1, 2019, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

It'd be suicide for both Sezer and us if he decided to kick up his heels and stay. Guy would be on at least 700k p.a. - no way we can keep that on our books.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: October 1, 2019, 1:01 pm It'd be suicide for both Sezer and us if he decided to kick up his heels and stay. Guy would be on at least 700k p.a. - no way we can keep that on our books.
Haha you're joking, right?? 700k pa??

You're... you're serious, aren't you??
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

There's no way Sezer is on that much. The generally accepted figure from what I've seen / heard and based on his initial signing is 500-550k.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Haha affsgjhkghjgfvhjkfgwe's not even trying anymore.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Every time he posts about this, the number goes up.
By the time round 1 kicks off, aknfaslja will have Aiden on 6mil a year
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: October 1, 2019, 1:25 pm Every time he posts about this, the number goes up.
By the time round 1 kicks off, aknfaslja will have Aiden on 6mil a year
Well, a Clive Churchill medal DOES push a value up.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Didnt he break his arm or wrist this yr? That would hamper any forward.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

The Rickman wrote: October 1, 2019, 11:14 am

Youve been super optimistic this yr, I still read that as a piss take mid yr. But, how right might you be? A 5 GF field goals, to better his Sharks effort, might get it.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

zim wrote: October 1, 2019, 1:12 pm There's no way Sezer is on that much. The generally accepted figure from what I've seen / heard and based on his initial signing is 500-550k.
He'd very easily be on that. Every report had him on 500k and that was on the old cap.

Since then the cap has gone up by three million and players nearly all have their salaries pegged to cap rises. That's also not withstanding any increase he managed to negotiate outside of that rise in his new contract.

700k is honestly a conservative figure. Zero chance he's still on 500k.