Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2019 Rd 24 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Northern Raider »

The Rickman wrote: September 2, 2019, 8:08 am
greeneyed wrote:
The Rickman wrote: September 2, 2019, 7:07 am
julian87 wrote:I’ll probably just come across as a sanctimonious twat but deadset some of you need to get your **** together. The carry on in here at 12-0 down in a non finals game was bizarre. Last week’s match day thread was just as bad.
Haha I absolutely don’t disagree with you at all on that score. Honestly, our fanbase is one of the worst in the world for whinging and complaining and blame-laying.

We honestly haven’t had a game go by where we’ve lost and it hasn’t been the ref’s fault. And games like last week where we get down by 12 points and everybody throws the toys out of the cot are just infuriating.

It’s our best season in twenty odd years, but people just seem incapable of enjoying it for what it is without carrying on like absolute pork chops or engaging in ridiculous conspiracy theories
This is absolute rubbish and just because you repeat it over and over doesn't make it correct. You just had to sit where I was yesterday at Shark Park to understand how much rubbish it is. BTW... the originally quoted post wasn't even about the refereeing!

Even if the fans are inappropriately blaming officiating for losses, it makes absolutely no difference in any case. So long as the team and the club is holding themselves accountable for their performances, focussing on the things that they control, lifting themselves above any bad calls... that is the only thing that counts.
Of course you’d buck up at this remark Fergus, over the last decade you’ve been one of the biggest proponents of the “poor me” Raiders fan attitude! When people see this type of attitude come from the top (leaders like you and our coach before this season), of COURSE they take heed and follow!

And now we’re past the point of no return, it’s now impossible for us to lose without it being a part of some grand agenda in many fans’ minds.

Which brings me to another thing... this style of post remind anyone of anything??

That post is a simple cut and paste job from a Fan Forum Auto Generator. You see the same across all the teams forums. Only difference is the Doggies one includes at least 4 swear words on every post.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I just love how every fanbase thinks the NRL hates them and there’s a massive conspiracy to keep their club down, Roosters and Broncos fans included
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

i think the fanbase has just been sent insane by years of sucking. So as soon as a player stuffs up the knives come out. Players will have up and down games. I know I’m broken in the brain thanks to the raiders.

I think looking at the big picture though we have to give a big tick to everyone. I mean yeah we aren’t as good as the storm or the roosters but we beat one of them and weren’t that far off the other. Plus we are in the top 4, that’s giving us the best chance at pulling it off.

We have also mostly ditched our biggest issue which is choking from strong positions. Things are good. I understand some nerves in game day threads I’m the ultimate doomer but after games I don’t get the sack Croker/Hodgson/whoever did a boo boo this week. We are third coming off two years of absolute insanity. This is good.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote: September 2, 2019, 8:08 am
greeneyed wrote:
The Rickman wrote: September 2, 2019, 7:07 am
julian87 wrote:I’ll probably just come across as a sanctimonious twat but deadset some of you need to get your **** together. The carry on in here at 12-0 down in a non finals game was bizarre. Last week’s match day thread was just as bad.
Haha I absolutely don’t disagree with you at all on that score. Honestly, our fanbase is one of the worst in the world for whinging and complaining and blame-laying.

We honestly haven’t had a game go by where we’ve lost and it hasn’t been the ref’s fault. And games like last week where we get down by 12 points and everybody throws the toys out of the cot are just infuriating.

It’s our best season in twenty odd years, but people just seem incapable of enjoying it for what it is without carrying on like absolute pork chops or engaging in ridiculous conspiracy theories
This is absolute rubbish and just because you repeat it over and over doesn't make it correct. You just had to sit where I was yesterday at Shark Park to understand how much rubbish it is. BTW... the originally quoted post wasn't even about the refereeing!

Even if the fans are inappropriately blaming officiating for losses, it makes absolutely no difference in any case. So long as the team and the club is holding themselves accountable for their performances, focussing on the things that they control, lifting themselves above any bad calls... that is the only thing that counts.
Of course you’d buck up at this remark Fergus, over the last decade you’ve been one of the biggest proponents of the “poor me” Raiders fan attitude! When people see this type of attitude come from the top (leaders like you and our coach before this season), of COURSE they take heed and follow!

And now we’re past the point of no return, it’s now impossible for us to lose without it being a part of some grand agenda in many fans’ minds.

Which brings me to another thing... this style of post remind anyone of anything??

Your reproduced post proves my point. Thank you. I heard all of that yesterday from at least 50 Sharks fans sitting around me.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

It's interesting, because I swear that screenshot could've been you or gangrenous after a Raiders loss!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Rickman wrote:I just love how every fanbase thinks the NRL hates them and there’s a massive conspiracy to keep their club down, Roosters and Broncos fans included
There’s a difference between fans who think there’s a massive organised conspiracy by the NRL (which there isn’t) and fans who point out the discrepancies in the opportunities for third party payments, long term inequality in free to air TV coverage, inconsistent scheduling of games, well above average admissions to referee mistakes by the refs boss, etc etc......

People can’t cherry pick comments or situations that support a view and then express that it’s proof of their claims.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

pickles wrote: September 2, 2019, 8:17 am I was disappointed that Horsburgh had his try disallowed. It was a well worked move and Sia just stopped in the wrong spot. We score there and its a different game.
It is pretty unusual to have an obstruction call against a player who has just offloaded the ball. I can't remember the last time I've seen that, I can't remember that ever happening. I can see he slightly nudges the Sharks defender, but the Sharks defended also deliberately makes contact and throws up his hands. Surely Soliola has a right to be there on the field in that spot, he can't just disappear. In the "old days" that would NEVER have been called up for a shepherd. Never.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote: September 2, 2019, 10:30 am It's interesting, because I swear that screenshot could've been you or gangrenous after a Raiders loss!
Your campaign is really reaching Billy Walkeresque dimensions.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: September 2, 2019, 10:35 am
The Rickman wrote: September 2, 2019, 10:30 am It's interesting, because I swear that screenshot could've been you or gangrenous after a Raiders loss!
Woah woah woah, take that back!! Let's not go saying anything TOO drastic here!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: September 2, 2019, 10:33 am
pickles wrote: September 2, 2019, 8:17 am I was disappointed that Horsburgh had his try disallowed. It was a well worked move and Sia just stopped in the wrong spot. We score there and its a different game.
It is pretty unusual to have an obstruction call against a player who has just offloaded the ball. I can't remember the last time I've seen that, I can't remember that ever happening. I can see he slightly nudges the Sharks defender, but the Sharks defended also deliberately makes contact and throws up his hands. Surely Soliola has a right to be there on the field in that spot, he can't just disappear. In the "old days" that would NEVER have been called up for a shepherd. Never.
Sia stopped in the middle of the defensive line and prevented Prior from closing the gap that Papalii went through.
That's open and shut case of obstruction in 2019.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

It was an obstruction according to the rules. They've lost the plot with the obstruction rule though. Absolutely no common sense and a feel for the game being demonstrated.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

The Rickman wrote: September 2, 2019, 10:38 am
Woah woah woah, take that back!! Let's not go saying anything TOO drastic here!
If only this were 2016. This could have been one of the greatest segments. “Whos supporter is this anyway?” With screnshots of posts and people have to guess if its a raiders fan or other
Dont delete this GE
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The Rickman wrote:I just love how every fanbase thinks the NRL hates them and there’s a massive conspiracy to keep their club down, Roosters and Broncos fans included
It's just emotion mate. People lose their rational minds when supporting their favorite sporting teams.

Otherwise everyone is just a bland, sterile, unattached robot.

Once we've all calmed down we tend to be more realistic.

As for refereeing, well that's on every sporting code on the planet. Everyone blames them, for varying reasons.

Fans gonna fan.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

He does make a very good point GE :thumbsup
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Pete Cash wrote:i think the fanbase has just been sent insane by years of sucking. So as soon as a player stuffs up the knives come out. Players will have up and down games. I know I’m broken in the brain thanks to the raiders.

I think looking at the big picture though we have to give a big tick to everyone. I mean yeah we aren’t as good as the storm or the roosters but we beat one of them and weren’t that far off the other. Plus we are in the top 4, that’s giving us the best chance at pulling it off.

We have also mostly ditched our biggest issue which is choking from strong positions. Things are good. I understand some nerves in game day threads I’m the ultimate doomer but after games I don’t get the sack Croker/Hodgson/whoever did a boo boo this week. We are third coming off two years of absolute insanity. This is good.
Yeah definitely. I agree.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Timbo wrote:
Timbo wrote: September 1, 2019, 3:53 pm I’ve given him more time than most, this is the game where Sezer has lost me for good.
Aiden! Buddy! I’m back in!

This ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

i said this to a mate last night and i'll say it again here
I think this 2019 team, not deserves, but has earned a bit more from its fans than what they sometimes get.

Im pleased the team is made of sterner stuff than it's chicken little fan base
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Just reading back on this thread.
I am stunned to see people complaining about the blind side shot at the end on the first GP period by Whitehead.

We were trapped 2 metres off the try line and 2 metres in from touch, there is no possible way to get a good clean shot at the FG there that doesnt give up a 7 tackle set.
The short side option, IMO was a good option, at worst you hand it to them 90 metres away on with 5 tackles to get 70 metres for a good shot.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

PigRickman wrote: September 2, 2019, 12:27 pm Just reading back on this thread.
I am stunned to see people complaining about the blind side shot at the end on the first GP period by Whitehead.

We were trapped 2 metres off the try line and 2 metres in from touch, there is no possible way to get a good clean shot at the FG there that doesnt give up a 7 tackle set.
The short side option, IMO was a good option, at worst you hand it to them 90 metres away on with 5 tackles to get 70 metres for a good shot.
My issue with it was not because they should have gone for the FG, because I agree with you that the odds were very short from where the play started, but the issue is that there was more room for more options going the open side. It opened up for a bomb, grubber or line run for a try, it increased odds of repeat set with room, crash ball, every option the short side had was better on the open side in my mind.

There was another moment earlier in the match where Sezer got tackled on the 5th, Hodgo went away from the obvious side that included Jack, and the ball went prop, prop, second rower and died on the last.

Its those moments of not choosing to play the percentages that we still struggle with.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, our fifth tackle options in that match were nothing short of ABYSMAL, whereas the Sharks' were very good, particularly in that first half.

It was the big difference between the two teams. If we hadn't kicked it dead so much and forced a few repeat sets we would've won that game in a canter.

Hodgo, Wighton and Sezer all equally responsible for this. We need to be a million percent better come finals time, and we've really only got one more game to iron it out.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Do you think we will win the comp still, Nickman?
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Agreed. And the complaining also said it never works. Whitehead himself has been involved in plenty of short side plays with Leipana.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Azza wrote: September 2, 2019, 12:42 pm Do you think we will win the comp still, Nickman?
Yup.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

The Rickman wrote: September 2, 2019, 12:54 pm
Azza wrote: September 2, 2019, 12:42 pm Do you think we will win the comp still, Nickman?
Yup.
Well, I hope so. I'm not feeling super confident, but we are totally capable of springing an upset in week 1.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I honestly believe we can win the three games in a row required to win the comp HOWEVER our fifth tackle options need to be about a thousand percent better.

We execute fifth tackle against the Roosters or Storm like we did yesterday and we're going to get absolutely murdered.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Azza wrote: September 2, 2019, 12:59 pm
Yup.
Well, I hope so. I'm not feeling super confident, but we are totally capable of springing an upset in week 1.
And in that case - we are equally as capable of springing an upset in the prelim then??
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

The Rickman wrote: September 2, 2019, 1:08 pm I honestly believe we can win the three games in a row required to win the comp HOWEVER our fifth tackle options need to be about a thousand percent better.

We execute fifth tackle against the Roosters or Storm like we did yesterday and we're going to get absolutely murdered.
What gives me hope is we HAVE had games where our 5th tackle options/execution were much better than yesterday this season. That was one of our poorer efforts in that regard, granted. So it's not like I felt last year when we just never seemed to get it right. At times this year Sezer, Hodgo and Wighton have all produced good, smart plays. After the month of footy we've just had and confidence from coming through it I thin we can get it right when needed, often enough.

Also worth bearing in mind we tend to mark our team against perfection. Every team muffs a last tackle or two per half either in planning or execution- even the mythical Storm and Roosters.

We still came up with 3 field goals + a repeat set in extra time that won us the game. We weren't diabolical, just mediocre for 60% of the game in 5th options. I'm probably more lenient on our running the short side than some. We probably did it once too often vs Sharks but with BJ/Cotric/Rapana/Whitehead/Bateman on our edges it is something we should try occasionally and the end result is better than a kick to touch- they start with tackle 1 between one and five meters from the try line in a corner with a set line from the dawdled handover. That's a very good start to defend from.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Azza wrote: September 2, 2019, 11:18 am It was an obstruction according to the rules. They've lost the plot with the obstruction rule though. Absolutely no common sense and a feel for the game being demonstrated.
Agree. I knew it would be taken off him because the rule interpretation is a joke.
Did you see the one they took off the Panthers against the Roosters? Joke.
scooter
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by scooter »

Couldn't agree more. While the odds of pulling that play off on such a narrow blindside was very low, it was also the safest possible play at that stage of the game. Zero chance of giving away a 7-tackle set from a 20m restart, and virtually no risk of an intercept try or wayward deflections. Plus we pin the Sharks in the corner 10 metres out from their own tryline with less than 60 sec remaining. Tactically, it actually wasn't that bad an option. It was probably as low percentage as Hodgson's awful FG attempts but minus all the risks. It would be interesting to know what Ricky himself thought of it.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I always say getting tackled five metres out from the opposition tryline on fifth is a far superior result than kicking it dead and I stand by that.
Last edited by The Nickman on September 2, 2019, 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I don't think the wind was factored in as much as it should've been. I wasn't at the ground but it's the most I've seen a match wind affected for a while. The team running with it had a really big and obvious advantage all afternoon. I was pretty confident it was a big factor in the match at half time.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Coastalraider wrote: September 2, 2019, 1:14 pm
Yup.
And in that case - we are equally as capable of springing an upset in the prelim then??
Don't know. Ordinarily I'd say yes but we've been pretty bollocks at home recently.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Azza wrote: September 2, 2019, 2:17 pm
Coastalraider wrote: September 2, 2019, 1:14 pm
Yup.
Don't know. Ordinarily I'd say yes but we've been pretty bollocks at home recently.
The first weekend upset is the really important one - beat the roosters and they switch to the other side of the draw. Meaning that we might get a home prelim final against, logically, Souths and the roosters and storm get to bash each other up in Melbourne.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yep. It would be so boring and predictable if the Storm and Roosters make the GF. Someone else making a run would be super exciting for the game, and I hope it is us.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: September 2, 2019, 2:13 pm I don't think the wind was factored in as much as it should've been. I wasn't at the ground but it's the most I've seen a match wind affected for a while. The team running with it had a really big and obvious advantage all afternoon. I was pretty confident it was a big factor in the match at half time.
Stuart mentioned it specifically in the presser, said about mid way through the second half it died down but until then it was very difficult to run into, and i think the game bore that out.