All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Retain or release?

Post by dubby »

You all suck at quoting.

Mine is at the top. Yours is a cat's breakfast.

Except Billy's.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Couldn't quote if your life depended on it you lot

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Heard from a pommy mate that Sam is going back over??

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

I say retain all the poso`s and release all the nego`s :roflmao
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Luke Bateman - release. We keep signing young players in his position with more upside imo
Royce Hunt - release to Mounties. Old school prop at a new school
Sebastian Kris - retain. He is a defensive powerhouse. His leap to catch the ball for a try in FG showed he has skills. I see him as a forward in a few years.
Andre Niko - retain
Brendan O’Hagan - release. I think Westcott has a lot more upside.
Kyle Patterson - retain.
Reuben Porter - retain.
Jordan Rapana - definitely retain. Imo the best right winger the club has seen over a long period of time. Injury has slowed him down this year but he is safe under the high ball and gets the ball down over the try line. Still makes lots of meters.
Harley Smith Shields - retain - all reports are he is a huge talent. Let's see how he develops.
Sam Williams - retain. - with George on the way we need a non-cap breaking serviceable half back. It will depend what happens with Sezer.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Morris just ran down croker in 70 metres giving him a massive start.

Rapanas pace has been getting better and better post injury, depending on price he’s a definate keeper for 2 more years for me.

Also he can kick a short kick off, I don’t understand why rugby league players have such bad touch at this generally.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

When Josh did that ridiculous field goal the only player that chased it was Rapana. He was in field and behind him in order to chase. Bounced dead easily so no result from the chase.
That's a player I keep in my team.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Beejay wrote: September 2, 2019, 8:11 am When Josh did that ridiculous field goal the only player that chased it was Rapana. He was in field and behind him in order to chase. Bounced dead easily so no result from the chase.
Rapana always sees long range field goals as try scoring plays. :)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: September 2, 2019, 8:19 am
Beejay wrote: September 2, 2019, 8:11 am When Josh did that ridiculous field goal the only player that chased it was Rapana. He was in field and behind him in order to chase. Bounced dead easily so no result from the chase.
I feel like the end of Rapa’s career (whenever that ends up being) is going to be tough to watch. I suspect he will never give up giving his all on every play but it will be a case of the heart and mind willing but the body unable to give anymore. You see some players clock off and wind down a little as the end draws near and it’s not hard to accept it’s time for them to go but Raps doesn’t strike me as a guy that will ever not give 100%. I feel like the club will need to throw in the towel for him to stop the fight when the time comes (hopefully a few years off but maybe not).
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: September 2, 2019, 9:25 am
I feel like the end of Rapa’s career (whenever that ends up being) is going to be tough to watch. I suspect he will never give up giving his all on every play but it will be a case of the heart and mind willing but the body unable to give anymore. You see some players clock off and wind down a little as the end draws near and it’s not hard to accept it’s time for them to go but Raps doesn’t strike me as a guy that will ever not give 100%. I feel like the club will need to throw in the towel for him to stop the fight when the time comes (hopefully a few years off but maybe not).
You're going to end up with a squad of 8 players at this rate.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: September 2, 2019, 9:41 am
All the worst players too, extraordinary stuff by Billy.

Ah well, at least he's consistent with his ****.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

He was also into first receiver after the Croker break and did a great job of drawing and passing. He was getting back towards his best yesterday I thought.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The Rickman wrote: September 2, 2019, 9:43 am
Northern Raider wrote: September 2, 2019, 9:41 am
All the worst players too, extraordinary stuff by Billy.

Ah well, at least he's consistent with his ****.
Hang on - I didn’t say cut Rapa. I was saying I think the end of his career will be hard to watch because he is a guy that gives his all and it will be his body in the end that fails him. I hope that time comes in 3 years! I think his stocks have taken a hit but if we can sign him at the right price go for it. Ricky will see how he’s moving on the training paddock and know if he’s hampered by niggles or if he’s close to the end. I don’t think he has years left but I hope he has more in him - he’s a champion that always goes hard.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BIlly, it wasn't long ago that you were moving Rapana on for Simonsson! Such a selective memory.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The Rickman wrote: September 2, 2019, 10:06 am BIlly, it wasn't long ago that you were moving Rapana on for Simonsson! Such a selective memory.
It would be a bad outcome to lose Simmonsen - he is a better long term prospect. If you can sign both without blowing the budget great, but I don’t think I’m alone in noticing some of Rapa’s recent carries have had a bit of Albert Fulivai about them. Nobody can play forever dude. He’s been a champion and I really do hope he can get himself to where he needs to be to go around for a few more seasons but 2019 Rapa isn’t 2018 Rapa.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Haha make up your mind, you're all over the place!!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The Rickman wrote: September 2, 2019, 10:18 am Haha make up your mind, you're all over the place!!
Nah, you’re just looking for a blue. I won’t be drawn in to your niggle. You’re like the Will Chambers of the Greenhouse and I’m just focussed on getting the two points!

If you’re really up for a stink, you try and get the Croker thread unlocked and I’ll clear my diary for the afternoon and we’ll see what we can do 🤠
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

You're about 0-20 this season

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: September 2, 2019, 10:29 am You're about 0-20 this season

Here comes third man in Thaiday :roflmao

So many angry people after such a good win. Must be finals fever!!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Billy Walker wrote: September 2, 2019, 10:31 am
-TW- wrote: September 2, 2019, 10:29 am You're about 0-20 this season

Here comes third man in Thaiday :roflmao

So many angry people after such a good win. Must be finals fever!!
Must be tired of putting up with utter Bull from supposed fans of our team directed at our captain.

Also 0-20 is being generous, Timmy!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: September 2, 2019, 10:38 am Image
NR - have a read of my first post that replied to you about Raps. It is pretty clear that I wasn’t saying cut him. I was saying it will be tough when his time does come (whenever that is) because his heart and mind will never quit and it will only be his body that fails him in the end. I’ve taken views on here at times others don’t agree with but do you think I’ve thrown out a view that needed to be shouted down this morning?

The essence of my post was Raps is a champion and you Rickman and TR are telling me I’m wrong???

As Toovey would say “there needs to be an investigation!”

🤔
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Which bit of this is so outrageous?
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

greeneyed wrote: August 29, 2019, 1:07 pm According to Big League, we so far have one gain (George Williams),no losses and these players off contract. Who should be retained or released?

Luke Bateman
Royce Hunt
Sebastian Kris
Andre Niko
Brendan O’Hagan
Kyle Patterson
Reuben Porter
Jordan Rapana
Harley Smith Shields
Sam Williams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Luke Bateman - Release
Royce Hunt - Release
Sebastian Kris - Retain
Andre Niko - Retain
Brendan O’Hagan - Release
Kyle Patterson - Retain
Reuben Porter - Retain
Jordan Rapana - Retain
Harley Smith Shields - Retain
Sam Williams - Retain
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Billy Walker wrote:

The essence of my post was Raps is a champion and you Rickman and TR are telling me I’m wrong???

I beg your pardon?

I don't feed the trolls, mate.

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

T_R wrote: September 2, 2019, 11:08 am
Billy Walker wrote:

I beg your pardon?

I don't feed the trolls, mate.

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Sorry TR - confused you with TW.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I think there are 4 things that are contributing to make Rapa look a little average this year (and i agree he looked much bette yesterday)
  • Injuries early in the season that it looks like he is carrying some issues with
  • He has lost one of his strongest attributes this year - BJ. Those 2 together with some momentum are so much better than they are individually. he hasn't had a settled centre all year, with BJ, Cotric, Oldfield and Kris all having a stint. hard for a bloke to form combinations in that environment./list]
    • One of his strongest plays was always the scoot from dummy half - and the fact refs are essentially not policing square markers this year has nullified it 90% of the time. It still annoys me he keeps going with that play - he would be so much more effective standing 1 wide of the ruck and making the run with forward momentum rather than from dummy half where he is usually slowed prior to clearing the play the ball zone.
    • A LOT of our attack is headed to the left side through Jack this year, leaving the RH to come in and search for work.
    With either a run with Cotric into the finals, or BJ back, I think he will get better.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Good post, Coastal. Joey back for the finals is key to unlocking Jordy's potential IMO.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: September 2, 2019, 10:51 am
NR - have a read of my first post that replied to you about Raps. It is pretty clear that I wasn’t saying cut him. I was saying it will be tough when his time does come (whenever that is) because his heart and mind will never quit and it will only be his body that fails him in the end. I’ve taken views on here at times others don’t agree with but do you think I’ve thrown out a view that needed to be shouted down this morning?

🤔
You're continually throwing darts at our players. Most of the time it's to get a reaction from other people on the forum. That's trolling.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Coastalraider wrote: September 2, 2019, 12:47 pm I think there are 4 things that are contributing to make Rapa look a little average this year (and i agree he looked much bette yesterday)
  • Injuries early in the season that it looks like he is carrying some issues with
  • He has lost one of his strongest attributes this year - BJ. Those 2 together with some momentum are so much better than they are individually. he hasn't had a settled centre all year, with BJ, Cotric, Oldfield and Kris all having a stint. hard for a bloke to form combinations in that environment./list]
    • One of his strongest plays was always the scoot from dummy half - and the fact refs are essentially not policing square markers this year has nullified it 90% of the time. It still annoys me he keeps going with that play - he would be so much more effective standing 1 wide of the ruck and making the run with forward momentum rather than from dummy half where he is usually slowed prior to clearing the play the ball zone.
    • A LOT of our attack is headed to the left side through Jack this year, leaving the RH to come in and search for work.
    With either a run with Cotric into the finals, or BJ back, I think he will get better.
Very good post. Rapana has been hunting as a lone wolf most of this year, through no real fault of his own. Of all the positions on the field wingers are one of the most reliant on players around them. He's had no stability in that regard this season. He'll bounce back.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: September 2, 2019, 1:20 pm

🤔
You're continually throwing darts at our players. Most of the time it's to get a reaction from other people on the forum. That's trolling.
How is commenting on what a courageous champion Raps is and lamenting that it will be tough when his time does eventually come equal dart throwing.

I’ll accept not everyone agrees with my views on Croker. I have concerns about BJs discipline and fitness going into finals (and I’m not alone there).

I haven’t thrown darts at Rapa - (read my posts). Who else have I supposedly darted on here?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: September 2, 2019, 2:04 pm

🤔
How is commenting on what a courageous champion Raps is and lamenting that it will be tough when his time does eventually come equal dart throwing.

I’ll accept not everyone agrees with my views on Croker. I have concerns about BJs discipline and fitness going into finals (and I’m not alone there).

I haven’t thrown darts at Rapa - (read my posts). Who else have I supposedly darted on here?
Sorry, re-read your post and you weren't saying to cut him. I misinterpreted it. However your first post in this thread was supporting dubby's call to let him go.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: September 2, 2019, 2:24 pm
Billy Walker wrote: September 2, 2019, 2:04 pm

🤔

Sorry, re-read your post and you weren't saying to cut him. I misinterpreted it. However your first post in this thread was supporting dubby's call to let him go.
I’m in two minds about him. He is a champion and deserves the right to try to regain the sort of form he is capable of but it would be a terrible outcome if keeping him came at the expense of losing Simmonsen and Raps didn’t regain his form. Where I land is to back whatever call the club makes. Ricky and the club Docs will know the extent of any injuries he’s carrying and Don will know if the $$ all balance with other needs. If they sign him on for 3 more years I’m happy, if they move him on I’m okay with that too.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

As I've said previously. We now have a top 4 team. I'd be changing as little as possible. Current team plus G. Williams will do me fine.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: September 2, 2019, 3:06 pm As I've said previously. We now have a top 4 team. I'd be changing as little as possible. Current team plus G. Williams will do me fine.
Yep agree that concept, except you can’t have the current team next year because nothing is constant. I’d expect 2020 Hors to be a lot better player than the already impressive 2019 version. Similarly I’d expect Simmonsen, Young, CNK and others to improve. On the other side you can’t escape that some players will decline. I’m not going to suggest names because it never ends well but we are kidding ourselves if we think everyone will remain constant or improve. Overall I see more potential upside in the team than possible decline but there may be a few positions we may wish to consider back up plans for. That said I’d be surprised if current squad + G Williams wasn’t a top 4 lock.