Sharks 13+
14%

Total votes: 14

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Re: 2019 Rd 24 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by yeh raiders »

Croker was **** defensively today, opened up 2 opportunities for 2 sharks tries.

The broken field run was good, but the exhausted pressure conversion deserved a fair wrap.

I really hope Ricky goes back to starting the match with Paps and Sia at prop. No doubt we get out of the blocks better when those 2 are starting, not sure why Ricky reverted back to Lui starting.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Drandyt wrote: September 1, 2019, 9:33 pm
afgtnk wrote: September 1, 2019, 9:04 pm Croker has always been slow. That is pretty close to the fastest he can run or has ever been able to run.

No idea how people have only noticed this now or for some reason thought he was faster.
Nah, once upon a time he was pretty quick - I suspect that knee cap drama has taken its toll.
He's never been quick for an NRL player - ever. Really not trying to knock the guy for it, just surprised it's something people didn't realise. We've got quite a slow team unfortunately and haven't had a genuine speedster for a while now.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

yeh raiders wrote:Croker was **** defensively today, opened up 2 opportunities for 2 sharks tries.

The broken field run was good, but the exhausted pressure conversion deserved a fair wrap.

I really hope Ricky goes back to starting the match with Paps and Sia at prop. No doubt we get out of the blocks better when those 2 are starting, not sure why Ricky reverted back to Lui starting.
I think Stuart wanted Sia to counter Fifita off the bench. Sia was outstanding off the bench today.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

afgtnk wrote: September 1, 2019, 9:51 pm
afgtnk wrote: September 1, 2019, 9:04 pm Croker has always been slow. That is pretty close to the fastest he can run or has ever been able to run.

No idea how people have only noticed this now or for some reason thought he was faster.
Nah, once upon a time he was pretty quick - I suspect that knee cap drama has taken its toll.
He's never been quick for an NRL player - ever. Really not trying to knock the guy for it, just surprised it's something people didn't realise. We've got quite a slow team unfortunately and haven't had a genuine speedster for a while now.
Oldfield is supposed to be fairly swift isn’t he?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Billy Walker wrote: September 1, 2019, 10:01 pm

Yeah, he is - meant more regular starter though.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

afgtnk wrote: September 1, 2019, 10:02 pm

Yeah we lack speed. I think Sezer would have most our other backs covered. I recall him showing a clean pair of heels after nabbing an intercept last year.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

yeh raiders wrote: September 1, 2019, 9:43 pm The broken field run was good, but the exhausted pressure conversion deserved a fair wrap.
That exhausted pressure conversion was nearly as ice-cold as Sezer's winning field goal, honestly. You could still see Croker sucking in the big ones, his legs must still have been pretty jelly, it wasn't a dead-in-front easy conversion, into the wind...and he darn well nailed it to lock the scores.

A certain someone in here said that Croker's kicking would lose us a game this year. It still hasn't - but it's won plenty, and today's, you could argue, was one of them.

Plus, seeing the Sharks flail hopelessly at their kicks made me appreciate how reliable he is. At least two of their misses would have been comfortable conversions for him.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Billy Walker wrote: September 1, 2019, 10:10 pm

Yeah we lack speed. I think Sezer would have most our other backs covered. I recall him showing a clean pair of heels after nabbing an intercept last year.
He also did it this year in the Tigers game at Bankwest...after fasting for Ramadan. :cmon
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Sezer's very slow laterally and over less than 20 or so metres. Over a long distance he seems much quicker - decent for a half and I reckon would give Croker a run for his money.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

raiderskater wrote: September 1, 2019, 10:13 pm

He also did it this year in the Tigers game at Bankwest...after fasting for Ramadan. :cmon
Are you suggesting Ramadan makes him fast?
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Love4Noa wrote: September 1, 2019, 9:18 pm
-TW- wrote: September 1, 2019, 9:17 pm Most dull uninspired voice of all time but his analysis **** on blokes like Anasta and Blocker Roach

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk
I think he's fantastic. The first week he sounded like a drunk uncle, but if you start listening to what he says - he's above and beyond the other éxperts'
I didn't know who he was, I actually assumed he was an unknown up-and-comer - recruited off a podcast or the like - because he had some interesting thing to say about players and made some good calls. But needs work on his vocals.

He actually sounds like the bloke that presents the dogs on Sky Racing on weeknights, a sort of condescending monotone.

Now that I know it's Griffen, it all makes sense.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Take nothing away from Sezer’s accuracy today, but all the talk about the poor service from Hodgo with the pass to the ground was a little unfair on him. He probably should land those passes, but I hope the coaches are giving Sezer some training on his positioning for the field goals. He was standing so far back and so far across from the play the ball, it forced Hodgson to throw the pass a lot further than he should’ve had to. It also gave the defence more time to get to him to put the pressure on rather than if he had of stood directly back from the play the ball. Anyway, whatever works I suppose?!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MATCH REPORT: Aidan Sezer hits three field goals as Canberra Raiders beat Cronulla Sharks in golden point

Aidan Sezer's miraculous effort with the boot has sent the Canberra Raiders into the top four and given coach Ricky Stuart scope to reshuffle his squad in their last finals rehearsal.

"There's a few more of those [high intensity] games ahead of us now.The practice we have had over the past four weeks for our younger players who haven't played semi-final football, I don't think we could have a better preparation for them."

CANBERRA RAIDERS 15 (Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Nick Cotric tries; Jarrod Croker 2 goals; Aidan Sezer 3 field goals) bt CRONULLA SHARKS 14 (Ronaldo Mulitalo 2, Jayden Brailey tries; Chad Townsend 2 field goals) at Shark Park. Crowd: 18,985

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

NRL: Jarrod Croker and Aidan Sezer on the Canberra Raiders win over the Cronulla Sharks: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Josh Hodgson's daddy cool on Father's Day for George and Ivy: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

MATCH REPORT: Raiders sink Sharks in extra time to spoil Gallen tribute game: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/01/rai ... bute-game/

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/09 ... -shootout/

Sezer: Golden point win gets Green Machine geared up for playoffs: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/01/sez ... -playoffs/

Gallen left shattered: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/01/sha ... th-tigers/

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/09 ... v-raiders/

TEAM SONG: Canberra Raiders celebrate a golden point win: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/09 ... -v-sharks/

PRESS CONFERENCE: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/09 ... -round-24/

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Time to vote for all your favourite Canberra Raiders, #GreenNation! #NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr

NRL Team of the Week: Round 24 https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/01/cho ... -round-24/ via @NRL
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Peter wrote: September 1, 2019, 10:22 pm Take nothing away from Sezer’s accuracy today, but all the talk about the poor service from Hodgo with the pass to the ground was a little unfair on him. He probably should land those passes, but I hope the coaches are giving Sezer some training on his positioning for the field goals. He was standing so far back and so far across from the play the ball, it forced Hodgson to throw the pass a lot further than he should’ve had to. It also gave the defence more time to get to him to put the pressure on rather than if he had of stood directly back from the play the ball. Anyway, whatever works I suppose?!
I think a big issue Sezer would have when he kept failing in field goal situations previously was actually his lack of depth. He takes more time than other halfbacks to set himself so previously at shorter distances teams were able to place put on too much pressure easily.

It's a hard pass to make but with no other recognised field goal kickers (Hodgson's drive technique really doesn't seem to lend well to anything from a distance), the pass needs to be made IMO.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

No issues with the half sitting 10-20 metres behind for the field goal. But not 15 metres across also.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I thought JC's play in the lead up to NCs try was fabulous. He takes the ball deep in our ingoal, splits them and runs about 85 metres before he is caught on the Sharks 20 mtr line by Morris who has run about 60 meters not carrying a football. He doesn't try any miracle passes knowing it is the first tackle. When he plays the ball there are no more than 5 or 6 Sharks players in their defensive line. People dismiss the pace of Morris but earlier in the match he easily ran down Wighton over a shorter distance. Morris is quick. Not Addo-Carr extreme quick, but few are. Not trying for a miracle play knowing it was the first tackle set up his team mates to take the ball wide for the Raiders to score. I thought it was disciplined, cool headed play by JC.

The Raiders will need to step up their defensive play in extra time. The Sharks drove our players back in tackles. We did not pressure them with our defense as they did to us. I know they were exhausted, but if the Sharks could do it, so can we if we apply ourselves. Sezer saved his best ever Field Goal performance for this match. Of the other players I thought Cotric and HorsPOWER showed they are right up to big match pressure. They are young but they WANT to win and I for one, was very impressed with both of them.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

RedRaider wrote: September 1, 2019, 11:16 pm I thought JC's play in the lead up to NCs try was fabulous. He takes the ball deep in our ingoal, splits them and runs about 85 metres before he is caught on the Sharks 20 mtr line by Morris who has run about 60 meters not carrying a football. He doesn't try any miracle passes knowing it is the first tackle. When he plays the ball there are no more than 5 or 6 Sharks players in their defensive line. People dismiss the pace of Morris but earlier in the match he easily ran down Wighton over a shorter distance. Morris is quick. Not Addo-Carr extreme quick, but few are. Not trying for a miracle play knowing it was the first tackle set up his team mates to take the ball wide for the Raiders to score. I thought it was disciplined, cool headed play by JC.
On the Croker run BS was easily keeping pace with him and then veered off to the left a bit - I wondered then and now if he was expecting a grubber to be put in - if it had, he may well have got there. That said the next play went perfectly, CNK could probably have strolled over but just like on the training field he flipped it to Cotric. So in hindsight it was a very nicely managed play.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Johno wrote: September 1, 2019, 7:45 pm
1992 wrote: September 1, 2019, 1:06 am The longer I stay up the quicker game day comes around.

One more cup of coffee before I go..

"To the valley below"
How can you say that when you've never learned to read or write -
There's no books upon your shelf?
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Begbie wrote: September 1, 2019, 10:20 pm
-TW- wrote: September 1, 2019, 9:17 pm Most dull uninspired voice of all time but his analysis **** on blokes like Anasta and Blocker Roach

I think he's fantastic. The first week he sounded like a drunk uncle, but if you start listening to what he says - he's above and beyond the other éxperts'
I didn't know who he was, I actually assumed he was an unknown up-and-comer - recruited off a podcast or the like - because he had some interesting thing to say about players and made some good calls. But needs work on his vocals.

He actually sounds like the bloke that presents the dogs on Sky Racing on weeknights, a sort of condescending monotone.

I reckon he probably knows what he's on about - though the columns he was writing for the DT showed no insight beyond anything by for example James Hooper - but I'm not surprised two clubs sacked him: the players would have been either asleep or climbing the dressing room walls listening to that voice...
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

PigRickman wrote: September 1, 2019, 9:07 pm Can't run
Can't pass
Can't tackle
Can't kick
**** captain

Love him
I was in the sharkies members for this game and when I brought up that some of our fans want him dropped I had to explain a few times that they actually didn't want him in the side as a serious point of discussion. This is at 12-0 mind you.
They were pretty confused as to what those people were smoking, and that's putting it really politely.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

dubby wrote: September 1, 2019, 4:42 pm Tell you what. I thought Croker was quicker than that. He was in sand there.

One complaint about our side - we lack genuine speed.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
If he scores it's no try, obstruction. Slowed up deliberately imo
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Lui_Bon wrote: September 1, 2019, 11:47 pm
Begbie wrote: September 1, 2019, 10:20 pm

I reckon he probably knows what he's on about - though the columns he was writing for the DT showed no insight beyond anything by for example James Hooper - but I'm not surprised two clubs sacked him: the players would have been either asleep or climbing the dressing room walls listening to that voice...
'
How on earth is Griffin coming in for voice razzing on a commentary team that includes the dulcet tones of Brandy's nose and whatever is wrong with Blocker? I kind of liked having a calmer voice. Everyone else tries to hype the game up like a cheerleader, room for someone to just speak normally about it.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’ll probably just come across as a sanctimonious twat but deadset some of you need to get your **** together. The carry on in here at 12-0 down in a non finals game was bizarre. Last week’s match day thread was just as bad.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

PigRickman wrote: September 1, 2019, 9:35 pm

He's certainly very capable of stating the bleeding obvious. You'd think a recent former coach might have a little insight than cliches.
Yeah, I agree. I can't recall a single comment he's made that has given me any indication that he coached 7 years in the top grade. A few opinions here and there, especially on who he thinks is on top in the game but that's about it. 😂
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Hazza wrote: If he scores it's no try, obstruction. Slowed up deliberately imo
Nope, there’s no such thing as obstruction in your own in goal area. Nothing wrong with the play.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

julian87 wrote:I’ll probably just come across as a sanctimonious twat but deadset some of you need to get your **** together. The carry on in here at 12-0 down in a non finals game was bizarre. Last week’s match day thread was just as bad.
Haha I absolutely don’t disagree with you at all on that score. Honestly, our fanbase is one of the worst in the world for whinging and complaining and blame-laying.

We honestly haven’t had a game go by where we’ve lost and it hasn’t been the ref’s fault. And games like last week where we get down by 12 points and everybody throws the toys out of the cot are just infuriating.

It’s our best season in twenty odd years, but people just seem incapable of enjoying it for what it is without carrying on like absolute pork chops or engaging in ridiculous conspiracy theories
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

2019 Rd 24 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote:
Nope, there’s no such thing as obstruction in your own in goal area. Nothing wrong with the play.
Look, it seemed to me like he slowed up too. Perhaps he didn’t realise the rule or wasn’t thinking straight in the heat of the moment?

I remember saying at the time “I hope he gets run down or it’s going to be obstruction” without realising there’s no obstruction in-goal, it honestly wouldn’t surprise me if he thought the same thing
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote: September 2, 2019, 7:07 am
julian87 wrote:I’ll probably just come across as a sanctimonious twat but deadset some of you need to get your **** together. The carry on in here at 12-0 down in a non finals game was bizarre. Last week’s match day thread was just as bad.
Haha I absolutely don’t disagree with you at all on that score. Honestly, our fanbase is one of the worst in the world for whinging and complaining and blame-laying.

We honestly haven’t had a game go by where we’ve lost and it hasn’t been the ref’s fault. And games like last week where we get down by 12 points and everybody throws the toys out of the cot are just infuriating.

It’s our best season in twenty odd years, but people just seem incapable of enjoying it for what it is without carrying on like absolute pork chops or engaging in ridiculous conspiracy theories
This is absolute rubbish and just because you repeat it over and over doesn't make it correct. You just had to sit where I was yesterday at Shark Park to understand how much rubbish it is. BTW... the originally quoted post wasn't even about the refereeing!

Even if the fans are inappropriately blaming officiating for losses, it makes absolutely no difference in any case. So long as the team and the club is holding themselves accountable for their performances, focussing on the things that they control, lifting themselves above any bad calls... that is the only thing that counts.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2019 Rd 24 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by gangrenous »

The Rickman wrote: Look, it seemed to me like he slowed up too. Perhaps he didn’t realise the rule or wasn’t thinking straight in the heat of the moment?
I think more likely he knew he wasn’t going to quite get there and slowed to try and set up an offload or position himself to take a quick play the ball off the tackle.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

The Rickman wrote: September 2, 2019, 7:09 am
gangrenous wrote:
Look, it seemed to me like he slowed up too. Perhaps he didn’t realise the rule or wasn’t thinking straight in the heat of the moment?

I remember saying at the time “I hope he gets run down or it’s going to be obstruction” without realising there’s no obstruction in-goal, it honestly wouldn’t surprise me if he thought the same thing
Yeah I said the same thing, I was unaware of that rule. Aaron Woods obviously was as well, he was blowing up.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I knew you couldn’t be offside in your own in goal, didn’t know you couldn’t be obstructed

Makes sense I guess, same rule really
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

julian87 wrote: September 2, 2019, 3:02 am I’ll probably just come across as a sanctimonious twat but deadset some of you need to get your **** together. The carry on in here at 12-0 down in a non finals game was bizarre. Last week’s match day thread was just as bad.
haha couldn't agree more. Imagine them in a semi. That match really didn't have a lot riding on it, soon as the storm beat Manly we're all but guaranteed top 4, as there's no way known we aren't beating a warriors team with zero to play for.

Some seem to forget where we've come from. Before the season if someone said to you we'd be 3rd after rd 24 what would you have said?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hazza wrote:
julian87 wrote: September 2, 2019, 3:02 am I’ll probably just come across as a sanctimonious twat but deadset some of you need to get your **** together. The carry on in here at 12-0 down in a non finals game was bizarre. Last week’s match day thread was just as bad.
haha couldn't agree more. Imagine them in a semi. That match really didn't have a lot riding on it, soon as the storm beat Manly we're all but guaranteed top 4, as there's no way known we aren't beating a warriors team with zero to play for.

Some seem to forget where we've come from. Before the season if someone said to you we'd be 3rd after rd 24 what would you have said?
Even if we somehow lose to the warriors we’re guaranteed Top 4
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:
The Rickman wrote: September 2, 2019, 7:07 am

This is absolute rubbish and just because you repeat it over and over doesn't make it correct. You just had to sit where I was yesterday at Shark Park to understand how much rubbish it is. BTW... the originally quoted post wasn't even about the refereeing!

Even if the fans are inappropriately blaming officiating for losses, it makes absolutely no difference in any case. So long as the team and the club is holding themselves accountable for their performances, focussing on the things that they control, lifting themselves above any bad calls... that is the only thing that counts.
Of course you’d buck up at this remark Fergus, over the last decade you’ve been one of the biggest proponents of the “poor me” Raiders fan attitude! When people see this type of attitude come from the top (leaders like you and our coach before this season), of COURSE they take heed and follow!

And now we’re past the point of no return, it’s now impossible for us to lose without it being a part of some grand agenda in many fans’ minds.

Which brings me to another thing... this style of post remind anyone of anything??

pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

That was a pretty incredible win. The sharks threw everything at us in the first half with the wind at their backs and we defended pretty well. I’m sure last season we would have been 4 or 5 tries behind and in an impossible situation to get back from.

I was disappointed that Horsburgh had his try disallowed. It was a well worked move and Sia just stopped in the wrong spot. We score there and its a different game.

For a team that had been out enthused and outplayed like we were in the first 40 to find the energy and desire needed to get back into the contest showed how much heart this team has. We were well below our best but stuck to our plan and once we started making inroads through the middle we looked the better team.

I’d say that’s an important psychological problem in for the team and they showed the compute they needed to get to the right places on the field at the right time to hit those field goals and Sezer did an amazing job with the last one off a bad pass.

Can’t agree with resting players unless they have injuries where the week off will make a difference. The last thing we want is to go into the finals with a loss against the warriors. The joke fans deserve a solid win after the crap they’ve put up with!

I also don’t agree that we should be happy with anything less than a premiership this year. It’s hard to get this close so when you do you need to take your chances. If you need any further evidence of this I give 2017 and 2018. To get to this point with our team in tact we need to go on with it. I have no doubt that we have the performances in this team to go all the way this year, we just need to produce them at the right time.