All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: Canberra Raiders set to extend Ricky Stuart’s contract to end 2022

Post by reptar »

Look, I'd like to agree, so I will.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

You should quote me so it’s clear you’re agreeing with pigmuppet
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

gangrenous wrote:You should quote me so it’s clear you’re agreeing with pigmuppet
How do I do that?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: August 22, 2019, 5:59 pm
Azza wrote:I only think it's a good idea because muppetpigman thinks it's a good idea.
I prefer pigmuppet myself.
I support and endorse both.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: August 22, 2019, 5:54 pm One clear reason to extend now is stability and ability to retain players. As Nick said, the most recent English recruits are more likely to extend/renew contracts with him in charge and the same goes for younger players like CNK who've been given a go.

These days it is a rarity for coaches to see out their contracts... so I don't see it as a huge issue if things later go awry.

The club is performing well this year, well above expectations, and that has been driven by changes the coach has made, including how he operates. What Ricky has done has been very impressive.

I can really only see upsides.
Exceeded the expectations of those who had their expectations shattered the previous two seasons.

Top 4 is exactly where this team was aiming for...and should always have been aiming. After 2016, this should also have been the case the last two seasons, which were both well below par.

I'm sorry...no coach should be rewarded for doing a terrible job for two years and then turning that around to finally be where we should always have been.

We've achieved nothing yet - except raise expectations back to where they should always have been. This season has just highlighted the absolute dross we were served up in 2017 and 2018.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: August 22, 2019, 5:54 pm One clear reason to extend now is stability and ability to retain players. As Nick said, the most recent English recruits are more likely to extend/renew contracts with him in charge and the same goes for younger players like CNK who've been given a go.

These days it is a rarity for coaches to see out their contracts... so I don't see it as a huge issue if things later go awry.

The club is performing well this year, well above expectations, and that has been driven by changes the coach has made, including how he operates. What Ricky has done has been very impressive.

I can really only see upsides.
There's no reason you can't just do the extension later. Every one of those players will assume they'd start the year well and an extension for stick would be incoming. They would never think twice about whether he would be here or not.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Raiders To Extend Ricky Stuart

Post by dubby »

To keep players that signed to play under him
-TW- wrote:Why can't he have 2 good years before he's extended.. he's not going anywhere

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I've never really understood why you need a coach signed for 3 or more years into the future. Most clubs just end up with a payout.
There's very few coaches in the league that require a long term deal to keep or get them. Seibold being an example of an absolutely ludicrous 5 year deal.

So with Stuart, I don't know why we need to contract him now past the absolute max of 2021.. but hey, he's not leaving till he wants to, so what does it really matter.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

RedRaider wrote: August 22, 2019, 6:01 pm
LastRaider wrote: August 22, 2019, 1:24 pm So if we are 8 rounds into 2020 and it’s looking a lot like 2017 again what then?

There is absolutely no logical or commercial reason to extend Stuart right now. Wait until the middle of next year...
I agree with you Last Raider. Making the 8 this year will mean 2 from 6 seasons. That is not a strong negotiating position for a coach.

We jumped the gun with the last coaching extension and it brought 2 seasons of misery. This year we at last have the defensive focus that has been talked about for the previous 5 years but never executed well. I want to see some year on year positive consistency so we don't have another 'coaching Bronson Harrison' as happened in 2017/18. Hodgo, HorsPower, Papa, J. Bateman, Tapine, Lui, Guler, Young are all locked in beyond 2020. The forwards look strong. I would look at extending the likes of CNK, Jack, Rapa, NC, JC, BS, EW and Havili before looking at the coach. That means if agreement cannot be reached then the roster is strong no matter who is coach.
The problem with this approach is that the players are going to want to know who the coach is before extending. Would you take a job where you didn't know who your boss was going to be? I would say that this move is about providing the stable base that will allow the necessary player contract extensions to take place.

Player contracts have a much bigger impact on the club if they go wrong so a coaching Bronson Harrison can't actually happen. You can stuff your salary cap for years with bad player recruitment decisions but as long as you can afford it sacking coaches is easy.

Seems like a smart decision from the club. And yes, I'm aware that I am probably echoing one of the illuminati and no, I don't care.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

This is Ricky's squad. A lot are coming off contract and/or looking to extend. They would want to be confident the guy they want to play for is going to be there for that new contract.

Realistically there's minimal risk extending the coach another 2 years. It's not like he's going to get sacked next year.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

In the face of some criticism at the time I was one who accepted the fact that the 2014/5 sides were not Sticky's roster. 2016 was Stickys and the side made the finals. 2017 and 2018 were also Stickys roster and the side went backwards. There was a lot of talk in Sticky's previous years about how Raiders fans accepted mediocrity. I don't consider 2 finals appearances in 6 years anywhere near a pass mark.

As mentioned above most of the pack is locked in beyond 2020. I really don't see JC or Jack going anywhere as both have stated their loyalty to the Raiders, not the coach. The new half is also signed beyond 2020. We need to sign some of the existing backs starting with CNK and NC. I reckon most of the likely FG coaching fraternity could do a fair bit with such a roster. Particularly if Cappy and his defensive methods are kept in place. We have seen success followed by lapse from the coach at other places than the Raiders. I would not want history to repeat. I want to see some evidence when 2020 rolls around that the successes of 2019 are being replicated in the new season.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

In an era where a coach can be sacked tomorrow and contracts are almost entirely meaningless I see absolutely no reason why people should be up in arms about a contract extension.

If we see another repeat of 2017/18, the club can part ways with the coach whenever they see fit to, a contract makes absolutely no difference to that.

This extension is nothing but a positive thing.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

The Rickman wrote: August 30, 2019, 6:46 am In an era where a coach can be sacked tomorrow and contracts are almost entirely meaningless I see absolutely no reason why people should be up in arms about a contract extension.

If we see another repeat of 2017/18, the club can part ways with the coach whenever they see fit to, a contract makes absolutely no difference to that.

Agree. It's not as big of a deal as people are making.

I can see the merit in waiting another 12 months (based on the fact that I don't see many clubs chasing Rick or Rick wanting to leave Canberra).

Notwithstanding, if we resign him tomorrow, it's definitely good news and a good result for the Club.

Rick is a great club man and should never have left the club as a player IMO.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

GreenMachine wrote: August 30, 2019, 10:59 am
The Rickman wrote: August 30, 2019, 6:46 am In an era where a coach can be sacked tomorrow and contracts are almost entirely meaningless I see absolutely no reason why people should be up in arms about a contract extension.

I can see the merit in waiting another 12 months (based on the fact that I don't see many clubs chasing Rick or Rick wanting to leave Canberra).

Notwithstanding, if we resign him tomorrow, it's definitely good news and a good result for the Club.

I am/was one of Stickys greatest critics. I have never had any doubt about his love for the club and the community, I doubt we will ever find another coach like him in that regard.

I have also called into question his technical prowess as a coach, and his record at all clubs of short term peak, long term through are there for all to see. I wrote in detail last year that in some way the messaging had to change - in one of 3 ways - new head coach telling the message, new assistants, or new senior players.

With the additions of Cappy and Ennis, I think we are seeing the benefits in our significantly improved defence from a technical perspective.

With Bateman, to a lesser extent Sutton and in a very unexpected way the addition of a NSW cup player in CNK, we have had just enough culture/standards improvement to flow through the rest of the squad.

So in short, 2 of the 3 messaging issues have been followed through, and on that basis I am more than happy to keep Sticky for a few more years. He/the club has identified the gaps in the system and addressed them, allowing Stick to play to his strengths - leadership and passion.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Coastalraider wrote: August 30, 2019, 11:11 am
GreenMachine wrote: August 30, 2019, 10:59 am

I am/was one of Stickys greatest critics. I have never had any doubt about his love for the club and the community, I doubt we will ever find another coach like him in that regard.

I have also called into question his technical prowess as a coach, and his record at all clubs of short term peak, long term through are there for all to see. I wrote in detail last year that in some way the messaging had to change - in one of 3 ways - new head coach telling the message, new assistants, or new senior players.

With the additions of Cappy and Ennis, I think we are seeing the benefits in our significantly improved defence from a technical perspective.

With Bateman, to a lesser extent Sutton and in a very unexpected way the addition of a NSW cup player in CNK, we have had just enough culture/standards improvement to flow through the rest of the squad.

So in short, 2 of the 3 messaging issues have been followed through, and on that basis I am more than happy to keep Sticky for a few more years. He/the club has identified the gaps in the system and addressed them, allowing Stick to play to his strengths - leadership and passion.
Agree.

For me, this version of Rick (which you can clearly see has changed) has to be retained by the club.

The inclusions of Cappy and Ennis and the 'moneyball' style player signings from the UK demonstrate an evolution in approach.

The work applied to our defence and specifc game management situations (plus the release of certain players) also shows he is capable of critically assessing the teams flaws and addressing them.

I also note, his press conferences / messaging in the media is on point.

He doesn't play the victim publicly anymore and this rubs off on the team.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

He’s a good coach doing good things - makes sense to lock him in. My only worry about Sticky is whether he can make the hard calls when he needs to. Rosters will need refreshing and there isn’t room for sentiment at the selection table. He seems a genuinely caring nice guy which are great qualities but I hope he can be heartless and ruthless when he needs to be. Sign him up!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The Raiders have only ever sacked one coach. I want to see better than 'one in a row' before we go extending a coach who after this year will be 2 from 6 seasons in finals appearances. The bolded part will not be of comfort to players looking to extend contracts due to the coach. Given Stickys record at other clubs and at the Raiders in 2017/18 I want to see some evidence in 2020 that he can produce repeat positive seasons before extending. If he can do that, then no problem with extending. If he can't, then look at the market and not charge the club a massive cost in tearing up a contract down the track.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

RedRaider wrote:

The Raiders have only ever sacked one coach. I want to see better than 'one in a row' before we go extending a coach who after this year will be 2 from 6 seasons in finals appearances. The bolded part will not be of comfort to players looking to extend contracts due to the coach. Given Stickys record at other clubs and at the Raiders in 2017/18 I want to see some evidence in 2020 that he can produce repeat positive seasons before extending. If he can do that, then no problem with extending. If he can't, then look at the market and not charge the club a massive cost in tearing up a contract down the track.
They sacked one coach, Red, and it mattered no difference how many years were remaining on his contract. They didn’t wait until his contract was up to do it

Which is literally my whole point
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Ricky Stuart will never be sacked by our club.

All we can hope for is that he gets results. Based on age, the core of this squad has about a 3-4 year window. Hopefully they are good enough.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I think we're going to be ok. We're a legit chance of making the gf if things go our way.

That makes it a long shot, because of the way this competition is run and officiated it favours certain teams, but we're as good as chance as any team at the moment.

We're in this chance because of astute recruitment and a renewed and improved attitude and focus on defence.

We don't have the best 7 around, but so what. We have good players, a good coach, and a fanbase absolutely ravenous for success. Ricky has done well this year.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow. Bring it on.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Rickman, the point I am making is that Coaches are on Hundreds of Thousands of dollars and if a contract is torn up then the club still has to pay out the contract. Plus the club has to pay for the new coach. It is a huge cost to tear up a coaches contract.

I was glad to read we have made an offer to CNK. I think the focus should be on the players rather than the coach at this point in time.
The coach is under contract for 2020. I want to see some positive results in 2020 before any extension is offered. We can learn from history or repeat the mistakes.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Stuart to re-sign with Canberra until end of 2023

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart to re-sign as coach of the Canberra Raiders until end of 2023

The Raiders are set to make Ricky Stuart the longest-serving coach in the proud club’s history with a new three-year extension. Canberra will announce Stuart’s new deal, which runs through until the end of 2023, on Monday afternoon.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/09/stu ... d-of-2023/
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

If he somehow returns us to premiership glory as a coach after being the player most responsible for our three premierships to date he should rightfully go down as the greatest Raiders legend of all time.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

The Rickman wrote: September 9, 2019, 10:32 am If he somehow returns us to premiership glory as a coach after being the player most responsible for our three premierships to date he should rightfully go down as the greatest Raiders legend of all time.
agreed
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Ricky Stuart re-signs as coach of the Canberra Raiders until end of 2023

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders re-sign coach Ricky Stuart to end 2023

The Canberra Raiders have re-signed Head Coach Ricky Stuart on a new three-year deal, which will see him remain as the Head Coach of the club until the end of the 2023 season.

Stuart was on contract until the end of the 2020 season, but the Raiders Board of Directors voted unanimously to extended Stuart’s contract for a further three seasons.

Stuart joined the club at the beginning of the 2014 season, with the new deal taking him to 10 seasons in charge of the Green Machine.

Ricky Stuart said the opportunity to stay on as Head Coach for an extended period was foremost a great honour and he looked forward to achieving the success the club and their fan base deserves.

“I’m honoured to be given this opportunity, to play for this club and now to be their Head Coach I’m so honoured and even more so today, I’m excited with the development of the club.

“It’s not just about coaching first grade it’s about the whole club,” Stuart said. “My passion and enthusiasm for the club is 24 hours a day seven days a week.”

“I’m like the fan who sits out there and braves the cold. I want to win on the weekend and win a competition and I can assure you that every waking moment is about delivering that promise one day.”

Raiders Chairman Dr Allan Hawke said the extension of Stuart’s contract was to provide continued stability to the club, and the work he had done early in his tenure was continuing to shine through today.

“Ricky’s contract was up at the end of next year, but we wanted to give some surety to players that are off contract going forward and any new players coming to us, that Ricky will still be part and parcel of the whole operation right through until then (2023),” Dr Hawke said. “One of the first things Ricky did when he came on as Head Coach was to get a group of leaders from the playing group and with them develop the values we would stand by as a playing group. They are still right with us which is why there is such solidarity and will among them.”

Canberra Raiders media release

Stuart re-signs with Canberra until end of 2023: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/09/stu ... d-of-2023/

VIDEO: Stuart: There's a bright future ahead: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/09 ... ure-ahead/
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Nah, I know he's going good atm but three years is a bit too much.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I hope there is a performance clause in his contract. If the team doesn’t perform we should be able to drop the axe. Don’t want to go through a 2017 - 2018 season again without being able to show Sticky the door
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

again, i got no problems

2019 - Not being sacked, obviously
2020 - Even if he has a down year, the 2019 campaign will see his job safe
2021 - If he has consecutive bad years in 2020 and 2021, the sharks will start circulating again.

So by my reckoning the earliest we'd possbily see a coaching change is probably 2022, and we have to make a move then, 2 years of his deal isnt a major problem (especially when you factor in that we wouldnt be paying him out but simply moving him to a role within the club that is not coaching, so there is no financial impact on this either)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Ricky Stuart re-signs as coach of the Canberra Raiders until end of 2023

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote:again, i got no problems

2019 - Not being sacked, obviously
2020 - Even if he has a down year, the 2019 campaign will see his job safe
2021 - If he has consecutive bad years in 2020 and 2021, the sharks will start circulating again.

So by my reckoning the earliest we'd possbily see a coaching change is probably 2022, and we have to make a move then, 2 years of his deal isnt a major problem (especially when you factor in that we wouldnt be paying him out but simply moving him to a role within the club that is not coaching, so there is no financial impact on this either)
And in 2022 we make the finals again a la 2016/19 and we re-sign him for another three years!

Perfect, I guess everything’s wrapped up in a neat little package then, isn’t it?
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Lets see if the club grow a set now and take control of creating our own nursery with Mounties. Surely with Stuart signing an extension the long term plan needs to be set at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

The bigger question is how long Rick has the unwavering support from the GH Rick Club for?

At the beginning of the year he was given just 8 rounds of 100% support
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Sid wrote:The bigger question is how long Rick has the unwavering support from the GH Rick Club for?

some might say sarcastic support El Cid
Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sid wrote: September 9, 2019, 2:05 pm The bigger question is how long Rick has the unwavering support from the GH Rick Club for?

I was giving him 8 rounds before I was allowed to complain about anything. Fortunately I didn't need to complain again, so I haven't, I'm completely on board with everything he has done and how he has turned around the disastrous 2017/18 campaigns to my favourite one since I've been an adult.

Having said all that, if next year is a repeat of 2017, I'm going to turn pretty sour pretty quickly. I really don't think it will though, guys like CNK and Bateman are just a class above the likes of Blake "Hey, look at me" Austin. They really are.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

It looks like Ricky is the man to lead us to the promised land..

And even if he doesn't, there's no way this squad is losing 30 straight.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders re-sign coach Ricky Stuart on eve of NRL finals

Ricky Stuart is spending "every waking moment" trying to deliver the Provan-Summons Trophy to Canberra with the Raiders' return to the finals the catalyst for a new deal.

"If we had not have developed and found some growth this season as a first grade team and club, I couldn't have accepted the extension," Stuart said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart after extending his stay with the club to the end of 2023. WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/cKyA50w2bHe

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr