21%
Sharks 13+
16%

Total votes: 19

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Rd 24 V Sharks: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by greeneyed »

It would be our 10th win away from home really. But of course, that's our own fault for giving away a home game.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

GreenMachine wrote: August 29, 2019, 4:26 pm
Ruben Daley wrote: August 29, 2019, 3:39 pm I re-watched the second half of the Manly game. I’d mostly put down the loss to key errors/poor decisions and less so to the refereeing, which I’d considered more pedantic than anything.

However, on second viewing, the refereeing had far more impact.

Firstly, the big calls were more influential than I’d remembered. The offside intercept was clearer and we’d been all over Manly at that point. Huge game-changer.

Fonua-Blake walked three metres off the mark before playing the ball - it was hilarious how far he went - and then the Raiders markers were penalised. Insane.

Even stuff like Sutton’s penalty for incorrectly playing the ball. Taupau did an identical one in the second half that went uncalled - like most weeks - and this led to the Jake try.

And stopping the clock for Boyle’s HIA when Rapa had made a break, got head-highed and then taken a quick tap killed us. We had them totally on the ropes and I’m sure the next play would have been switch left to Jack who would have smashed threw the line like he did all game.

The Raiders actually played well in spite of the outrageous stop-start officiating that suited Manly far more. Their defence was excellent and they did the right things to get back into a game they should never have been behind in.

But there’s only so much you can do.

I’m feeling far better about our chances from here despite being extremely frustrated about the loss.
1000%.
This is why I have been unable to get over this game.
We really were dudded. Manly are not better than us in 2019, but the records now show otherwise.
Exactly.

I dislike that it makes Dessie look smarter than us and Manly look mentally tougher. Neither is true.

Turbo could not get into that game aside from his no-try, we had them covered defensively all game bar one slip-up for the Jake try after repeated sets, and we broke through their line regularly.

Given a game officiated in the usual way (i.e. just the usual number of inexplicable calls), we would have had them covered.

We’ll just have to win the premiership, I suppose.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

If we make the 4 after a crazy tough month of footy I expect nothing to phase this team in the finals. We will leave everything on the field win or lose.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Facebook

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker and Aidan Sezer as the Green Machine prepares for a huge clash with the Cronulla Sharks!

Meanwhile, Mitch Cornish has won the Les McIntyre Medal for the best and fairest player in the Canberra Raiders Cup! Plus hear from Goulburn Bulldogs coach Adam Kyle and Tuggeranong Bushrangers​ coach Jarrad Teka as they prepare for Sunday's Preliminary Final!

WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/3qmB50vNAM2

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
Drandyt
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Drandyt »

GreenMachine wrote: August 29, 2019, 4:23 pm
The Rickman wrote: August 29, 2019, 3:28 pm To be honest, I think a big part of the reason we lost wasn't so much getting caught up in any niggle, it was getting too far ahead of ourselves and just trying to score off every play... it was sloppy football and they needed to just do what they've done most of the season. I was a little bit worried about this after the way they were posing for photos after the Storm game... like they'd won the grand final.

They certainly took the eye off the ball against Manly, and hopefully they've learned a LOT about how you go about winning football games against ANY opposition.
Also, Manly rushed our edge play makers (mainly Sezer) and we failed to counter this tactic. Cronulla will most likely do the same IMO (I.e. rush up on Sezer / Wighton).
Sezer had the perfect moment to put a kick in behind the rushing defence and maybe put them in two minds, it was early in the first half, but he threw a 3 man cut out pass over the head of Rapana. I just sighed...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Behind the scenes: Fox League Film Shoot: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/08 ... ilm-shoot/
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I wonder how much more beneficial it would’ve been for the side if there was a win against manly last week. The training schedules from then on could’ve been adjusted with a higher focus on peaking for finals footy rather than still having to win a game for a guaranteed top 4 spot.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Who knows. Losing the Manly game, as irritating as it was, may have made us more aware of how important it is to retain focus in these big games and not go off our game plan and get caught up in the niggle. Time will tell.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Azza wrote: August 30, 2019, 7:19 am Who knows. Losing the Manly game, as irritating as it was, may have made us more aware of how important it is to retain focus in these big games and not go off our game plan and get caught up in the niggle. Time will tell.
I hope you are right.
It's almost been a week and I'm still looking for something positive from that game.
I guess we nullified Turbo better than most teams have this year...he was very quiet apart from a close no try call.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

The Rickman wrote: August 29, 2019, 8:42 am
InFernos_Raiders wrote:If Manly and Souths win and Raider lose we go to 5th.
Last round Souths host Roosters, Eels host Manly and Raiders host Warriors.
Yup, so provided Souths lose to the roosters and we beat the warriors, we finish in the top 4

Also, if manly lose to the Storm this weekend and we beat the warriors we finish in the top 4

Seriously, this game is important, but it’s not the end of the world provided we win against the warriors and either Souths lose to the roosters or manly lose to the Storm (both quite likely, one of them to happen very likely)
And if only 1 of them happen we might run 4th, which would be perfect.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders won't waste rare NRL finals spot

The Canberra Raiders are determined not to repeat their "missed opportunity" in 2016 as the club approaches its second NRL finals appearance in seven years, Aidan Sezer says.

"I look back on 2016 as a big opportunity missed and we've got one ahead of us in the next month or so. We want to put in our best effort so we're not finishing the year with any regrets.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/canberra-w ... e6cea00ab1

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14326

VIDEO: From Hull hothead to Raiders ringleader

Canberra Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson reflects on his childhood, playing in the Super League, how he became known in Australia and what it would mean to win the 2019 premiership.

Video: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/30/fro ... ingleader/
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

GreenMachine wrote: August 30, 2019, 10:50 am
Azza wrote: August 30, 2019, 7:19 am Who knows. Losing the Manly game, as irritating as it was, may have made us more aware of how important it is to retain focus in these big games and not go off our game plan and get caught up in the niggle. Time will tell.
I hope you are right.
It's almost been a week and I'm still looking for something positive from that game.
I guess we nullified Turbo better than most teams have this year...he was very quiet apart from a close no try call.
Mate, dont worry about it. We flogged them. Klein was responsible for that result. I know we have to win despite the refs, but its a bit much to ask a team to overcome a ref who has robbed you of 20 odd points. I have confidence it will not happen again.
Plus, since we have lost that game, we are still on the up. I reckon it further galvanises the team for the coming weeks. We'll do some 'gal'vanising of our own this week and then clean up with the warriors. Dust the Storm, have a week off and then 2 more games to glory. You heard it here first.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I think you may be right Azza. Better Tarps has a brain explosion against Storm and BJ and others get sucked in by Manly now than in week 2 of finals. People talk about ‘the loss you had to have’ - hopefully that was it. If we get up over Sharks and touch up the warriors we will be in a sweet place.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

woppadingo wrote: August 30, 2019, 11:31 am
I hope you are right.
Mate, dont worry about it. We flogged them. Klein was responsible for that result. I know we have to win despite the refs, but its a bit much to ask a team to overcome a ref who has robbed you of 20 odd points. I have confidence it will not happen again.
Plus, since we have lost that game, we are still on the up. I reckon it further galvanises the team for the coming weeks. We'll do some 'gal'vanising of our own this week and then clean up with the warriors. Dust the Storm, have a week off and then 2 more games to glory. You heard it here first.
I love your positive predictions! I'll be supporting no matter what!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I think you may be right Azza. Better Tarps has a brain explosion against Storm and BJ and others get sucked in by Manly now than in week 2 of finals. People talk about ‘the loss you had to have’ - hopefully that was it. If we get up over Sharks and touch up the warriors we will be in a sweet place.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

I hope you are right.
I like the optimism (hey I bought GF tickets yesterday), but there is no way that the Storm don't win the minor premiership and we will therefore play the Roosters at the SCG in week 1.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Or we finish 4th and play Melbourne

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Neither option would be easy. We just have to get 3rd or 4th sorted and go hell for leather to cause an upset in week 1 and/or week 3.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

think id rather finish 4th and play Melbourne rather than the Roosters
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

kiwi raider wrote: August 30, 2019, 1:13 pm think id rather finish 4th and play Melbourne rather than the Roosters
Ditto. If you assume all teams bring their A game for finals I reckon we can beat Storm. Not so sure we can beat the Rorters if they're at their best.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Azza wrote: August 30, 2019, 12:21 pm Neither option would be easy. We just have to get 3rd or 4th sorted and go hell for leather to cause an upset in week 1 and/or week 3.
To win this thing we are more than likely going to have to beat both the Storm and Roosters at some stage. We will likely play one week one of the finals and possibly meet the other in the GF. I think we’ve shown we can do it!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'm not fussed tbh,

We're as much chance of beating either of them as we are of getting pantsed by them

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

I want us to play the Roosters week 1.

Why?

Because win or lose we go to the other side of the draw ... meaning we wouldn't see them until the GF.

Not trying to get ahead of myself but think about it, I'd rather play the Roosters in the GF than I would in the prelim finals.

I rate us as being capable to beat any other team on the road to the GF.

The Roosters are the favourites and rightfully so, so I'd rather play them week 1 and cause an almighty upset OR lose and not have to deal with them again until the GF.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I'm not too worried about travel this year either. Team has shown they can really focus on the task for away games.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

IBG wrote: August 30, 2019, 2:08 pm I want us to play the Roosters week 1.

Why?

Because win or lose we go to the other side of the draw ... meaning we wouldn't see them until the GF.

Not trying to get ahead of myself but think about it, I'd rather play the Roosters in the GF than I would in the prelim finals.

The Roosters are the favourites and rightfully so, so I'd rather play them week 1 and cause an almighty upset OR lose and not have to deal with them again until the GF.
This is my thinking as well. I would rather be playing Melbourne in Melbourne for a shot at the GF than Roosters at the SCG.

Although I would much prefer to be playing Melbourne in Canberra to move to the GF after wining week 1.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart expecting gritty clash with Cronulla Sharks

Canberra's clash against the Cronulla Sharks on Sunday marks the Raiders' fourth straight game against top-eight opposition and coach Ricky Stuart is expecting another gritty affair.

"We've had a lot of big occasions over the past month and handled that quite well," Stuart said. "We're playing OK football, there are areas of our game that need to be better from last week ... I just want to come out of this game happy with how we're playing.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/canberra-c ... a1f51b26d9

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14274

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/30/bes ... es-gallen/

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart previews the clash with the Cronulla Sharks: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/08 ... ders-hero/

Sharks' bid to crack ball-stealing code lost in translation: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/30/sha ... anslation/
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

kona_dream wrote: August 30, 2019, 12:11 pm
I hope you are right.
I like the optimism (hey I bought GF tickets yesterday), but there is no way that the Storm don't win the minor premiership and we will therefore play the Roosters at the SCG in week 1.
Yeh. Oops my bad. Yes it would the rooters.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

IBG wrote: August 30, 2019, 2:08 pm I want us to play the Roosters week 1.

Why?

By your logic if we beat the Storm in Week 1 of the finals and Roosters beat Manly we don't play the Roosters until the GF anyway and won't play the Storm again either.

That's an easier run and it allows either the Storm or Roosters to knock the other out in the prelims.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

True. Didn't think of that scenario.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

For some reason, if we did make the GF and had to choose our opponent, I'd rather play Melbourne.
Not because we beat them - but mainly because I think they are vulnerable in the halves.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders focused despite finals sideshow

Canberra has been hit with a dose of lime green fever as the Raiders close in on a top-four spot for just the second time in almost 20 years.

"I think we're certainly in a pretty strong position and we've shown defensively that we can defend in those big games," Jarrod Croker said. "We have some attack stuff to work on but I feel like we've come through it better.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Ricky Stuart hails Elliott Whitehead an unsung hero in Canberra Raiders' NRL charge

Elliott Whitehead has emerged as the "backbone" of the Canberra Raiders' premiership charge in the eyes of Ricky Stuart and the Green Machine mentor has the numbers to back it up.

"Elliott has probably been our most consistent player all season," Stuart said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I don't have any particular preference on who we play in what order during the finals... we will need to have the ability to beat all of those teams if we want to win the GF. I just want to see us win all of our games. A loss in week 1 resulting in an extra game would be too much for the team to overcome imo.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

The Sharks club are encouraging there fans to stand and applause in the 13th minute for Gal, what’s the bet we score in the 13th min.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Special tactic to stop our momentum.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

After what the **** ive witnessed with these referees ***** this year who the **** can go into any game with 100% confidence of grabbing the 2, **** sharks by 8.
This place is woke.