Raiders player signing speculation 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by yeh raiders »

Tapine is being afforded the chance to develop and cement himself as a gun middle forward. Given the raw talent there, we are better off persisting for now...especially while we're winning.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

GreenMachine wrote: August 21, 2019, 9:44 am
Raiders_Pat wrote: August 21, 2019, 8:42 am
PigRickman wrote: August 20, 2019, 9:08 pm If we insist on playing Tapine in the middle, then i complete agree with the above.
If we get Bateman into lock and roll with him on the edges, i'd hang on to him and let the kids walk instead.
Agreed. There are plenty of clubs that would benefit with Tapine in his preferred position at second row... if we're not gonna accommodate for that here I think it's our best option moving forward.
Sorry I can't agree with that.

We've had our best season defensively with the two Poms on the edges. I don't understand this push for Bateman to lock.

Tapine is perfect for the middle because he offers a variation to our other middle forwards with his footwork, speed and ability to offload.He also has size - which you can't coach.

I don't think his lateral defence is great for the edges and I suspect that is what Cappy and Ricky think too.

No chance we should be letting Tapine go.

He needs an injury and suspension free season and we'll see his consistent best IMO.
I don't think Tapine's defence is poor on the edges though. It's just not at the same standard as Bateman's... but not many second rowers in the game are at that level imo.

For the record, Tapine still is one of my favourite players in this team. I just don't think he's suited to the middle at this stage in his career... when he's older and loses a step in his footwork/speed it would be the right move but his skills are being wasted with him playing in the middle. He even said himself that he would prefer to play in the second row. I feel we would get more out of him there.

Like others have mentioned in the past, I just think our net loss with Bateman at lock and Tapine at second row is less than it is with Bateman at second row and Tapine at lock (i.e. Bateman is a great lock and second rower whereas Tapine is a great second rower and maybe a bit above average at lock). Bateman has also stated that he wants to give lock a crack so why not have two guys in positions they want to play instead of one guy playing in a position he likes and the other playing a position that's his second preference?

I'll trust in the coaching staff to make the right call on this one but that's just my two cents on it.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Im pretty sure i recall bateman saying he prefers to play on the edges, but would play middle if thats what is required. For the record id keep him on the edges.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Given the team we have at the moment. I feel Peachey might be a perfect fit.
Can play at 9, 6, centre, edge backrow or lock. Means Ricky can pick whomever he want on the bench. You probably play him as a running forward wk to wk, and gives you an X-factor.

Not gonna happen.
Will probably still be too expensive, even with Titans paying freight.
Might be bad for moral too.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

He’s the perfect #14. This forum hates him though, ha.

And you’d ruin your salary cap trying to fit him in. I think trying to find that sort of player would really top off the squad’s balance though.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: August 22, 2019, 9:09 am He’s the perfect #14. This forum hates him though, ha.

And you’d ruin your salary cap trying to fit him in. I think trying to find that sort of player would really top off the squad’s balance though.
pretty much where im coming from too
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Matt wrote: August 22, 2019, 9:23 am
julian87 wrote: August 22, 2019, 9:09 am He’s the perfect #14. This forum hates him though, ha.

pretty much where im coming from too
I'd be ok with Peachey at the right price
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah my only issue with Peachey is his price tag
At a reasonable price he's a huge x-factor as your bench utility.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Peachey as a player, yes.
Peachey as an investment, no.

Comes at too high a price for his contribution. Think you Can get a decent bench utility for far lower $$.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Peachey is all hero plays. I'm not a fan.
There's a good reason he's never been able to cement a spot. He's just not that good.

Another one of Gus Gould being the greatest salesman in Rugby League. Selling everyone on Peachey being an excellent player.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Jai Arrow been given permission to talk to other clubs for 2021. Gotta atleast throw our hat in the ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Here's a pie and coke Jai. Oh wait... we gave the pie to Bateman and the coke to Charnze.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Danaman137 wrote:Jai Arrow been given permission to talk to other clubs for 2021. Gotta atleast throw our hat in the ring.

The titans not planning on existing by then?

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Danaman137
Brett Mullins

Post by Danaman137 »

-TW- wrote:
Danaman137 wrote:Jai Arrow been given permission to talk to other clubs for 2021. Gotta atleast throw our hat in the ring.

The titans not planning on existing by then?

They’re trying to extend him but he wants to test the open market which opens nov 1. So the titans are trying to hurry the process up and get a signature sooner rather than later.

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Arrow is a great player but I really think if we somehow were in the hunt for a player in his price range it needs to be one who can win games on his own.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

With the development of Simonsson, I'd certainly take him over extending Rapana, but it's not going to happen.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

edwahu wrote:Arrow is a great player but I really think if we somehow were in the hunt for a player in his price range it needs to be one who can win games on his own.
Sounds like he is homesick

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I wonder what chris grevsmuhl is up to these days. Real derailed talent who would be a good project
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Love Arrow. Think he'll be a hell of a signing for someone. Dont think we're the club for him. The money on offer for him will be signifiacnt. Rightfully so.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: August 29, 2019, 8:35 pm I wonder what chris grevsmuhl is up to these days. Real derailed talent who would be a good project
Hmmm yeah, that's a name from the vault. He was the next big thing.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

PigRickman wrote: August 29, 2019, 8:44 pm Love Arrow. Think he'll be a hell of a signing for someone. Dont think we're the club for him. The money on offer for him will be signifiacnt. Rightfully so.
Arrows a forward you can buy and build a pack around. He would be a great addition to us and any team but is worth more cap at another club.
Funnily enough i think the titans need him the most
Dont delete this GE
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Sid »

PigRickman wrote:
simo wrote: August 29, 2019, 8:35 pm I wonder what chris grevsmuhl is up to these days. Real derailed talent who would be a good project
Forgot all about him. Wikipedia says he was playing for Orange CYMS in group 10 Rugby League last year.. not sure about this year
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: August 29, 2019, 8:53 pm
PigRickman wrote: August 29, 2019, 8:44 pm Love Arrow. Think he'll be a hell of a signing for someone. Dont think we're the club for him. The money on offer for him will be signifiacnt. Rightfully so.
Arrows a forward you can buy and build a pack around. He would be a great addition to us and any team but is worth more cap at another club.
Agreed. it's pretty wild to me that the titans would let him go, that's the guy you sign and try and build a club and culture around. They'll be trash enough that slightly overpaying him early in the deal and account for the cap rise shouldnt prohibit them from their long term rebuild
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Sid wrote: August 29, 2019, 8:57 pm
PigRickman wrote:
Forgot all about him. Wikipedia says he was playing for Orange CYMS in group 10 Rugby League last year.. not sure about this year
So had i. No idea why i even thought of him. What he did around his exit was awful but can easily be remedied with the correct guidance.
Dont delete this GE
Danaman137
Brett Mullins

Post by Danaman137 »

PigRickman wrote:
Agreed. it's pretty wild to me that the titans would let him go, that's the guy you sign and try and build a club and culture around. They'll be trash enough that slightly overpaying him early in the deal and account for the cap rise shouldnt prohibit them from their long term rebuild
They don’t want to let him go. They just want a signature sooner rather than later. Arrow wants to see what he’s worth on the market so by allowing him to talk to other teams early they hope they can get a deal done soon so they can start to focus on rebuilding the rest of their roster. The deal on the table is upward of 3 mil I think, not sure on the length, 4 years I think.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Danaman137 wrote: August 30, 2019, 10:49 am
PigRickman wrote:
They don’t want to let him go. They just want a signature sooner rather than later. Arrow wants to see what he’s worth on the market so by allowing him to talk to other teams early they hope they can get a deal done soon so they can start to focus on rebuilding the rest of their roster. The deal on the table is upward of 3 mil I think, not sure on the length, 4 years I think.

fair enough, that'll teach me for not reading the body text!
I saw the headline about them allowing to negotiate with other teams and assumed they'd decided to go another direction
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

What sort of cash would you need to buy a Peachy these days?
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Billy Walker wrote: August 30, 2019, 4:26 pm What sort of cash would you need to buy a Peachy these days?
Id be happier for our club to pitch in money for him to be at another club. He doesnt fit in a winning system. Hes a bloke who can rarely bring something out of nothing for a losing team. Only an option against a defence thats switched off.
Dont delete this GE
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

simo wrote: August 30, 2019, 5:42 pm
Billy Walker wrote: August 30, 2019, 4:26 pm What sort of cash would you need to buy a Peachy these days?
Id be happier for our club to pitch in money for him to be at another club. He doesnt fit in a winning system. Hes a bloke who can rarely bring something out of nothing for a losing team. Only an option against a defence thats switched off.
He hasn’t lived up to the hype but still curious to know what he’s worth. Would you nab him for $500k a season or would you need to dig deeper?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I wouldn't touch him, he's a downhill skiier

Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Staurt

Post by Goldcoast Raider »

Did anyone else just hear vossy say we signed a promising young players that is Dave fifta like type player
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas

Only 17 but huge raps
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas

Couldn’t hear his name