The Boxing Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: The Boxing Thread

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Tim Tszyu was on Back Page Live last week. Seems like a good kid. They shared a baby photo of him wearing his dad gloves, and he barely looked like he was walking

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

We should be able to get a good form-line on Tszyu from here on in.

With PPV money behind him, they will be able to afford higher quality opponents.

He needs to start cleaning out the local ranks and to face a few carefully selected international opponents.

Fighting the national champ for the Australian title is a good start.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Has he got a match lined up with Horn also, or are they talking it up in the hopes of getting one?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Sleek the Elite wrote: May 13, 2019, 9:03 am We should be able to get a good form-line on Tszyu from here on in.

With PPV money behind him, they will be able to afford higher quality opponents.

He needs to start cleaning out the local ranks and to face a few carefully selected international opponents.

Camilleri went the distance with Dwight Ritchie recently. Thats another potential opponent for Tszyu as he steps things up. After that he could fully justify some international opponents.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 14, 2019, 3:55 pm Has he got a match lined up with Horn also, or are they talking it up in the hopes of getting one?
Tszyu isn't ready for Horn yet but that would be the ultimate goal.

Horn has international experience and has held a professional world championship so Tszyu needs to bridge the gap in experience that exists between them.

Tszyu is scheduled to fight Camilleri tonight, then Dwight Ritchie, then Michael Zerafa and then Horn. He will also need some international opponents mixed in between those fights.

But yes, if he keeps winning, a big domestic showdown with Horn is on the cards. In terms of timing, maybe at the end of next year.
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins

Northern Raider wrote: May 14, 2019, 5:05 pm
Sleek the Elite wrote: May 13, 2019, 9:03 am We should be able to get a good form-line on Tszyu from here on in.

Camilleri went the distance with Dwight Ritchie recently. Thats another potential opponent for Tszyu as he steps things up. After that he could fully justify some international opponents.
I concur.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

my mates 15yo son has started amateur boxing, he's a black belt karate with muay thai training and switched in January. 2 fights 2 wins against bigger more experienced kids, he's looked sharp.
Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

bonehead wrote: May 15, 2019, 11:26 am my mates 15yo son has started amateur boxing, he's a black belt karate with muay thai training and switched in January. 2 fights 2 wins against bigger more experienced kids, he's looked sharp.
Time to start planning his entry music and outfit.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Northern Raider wrote:
bonehead wrote: May 15, 2019, 11:26 am my mates 15yo son has started amateur boxing, he's a black belt karate with muay thai training and switched in January. 2 fights 2 wins against bigger more experienced kids, he's looked sharp.
Time to start planning his entry music and outfit.
funny watching him climb thru the ropes
Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Replay of the Hodges fight

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

That fight for Hodges was an embarassment for all involved. I guess its tough when 3 other opponents pull out in the lead up. All you can do is grab whoever is available.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I saw Hodges at movie world a few weeks ago and he's a big human, clearly still trains pretty hard
Edrick The Entertainer
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Sleek the Elite wrote: May 15, 2019, 8:15 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 14, 2019, 3:55 pm Has he got a match lined up with Horn also, or are they talking it up in the hopes of getting one?
Tszyu isn't ready for Horn yet but that would be the ultimate goal.

Horn has international experience and has held a professional world championship so Tszyu needs to bridge the gap in experience that exists between them.

Tszyu is scheduled to fight Camilleri tonight, then Dwight Ritchie, then Michael Zerafa and then Horn. He will also need some international opponents mixed in between those fights.

But yes, if he keeps winning, a big domestic showdown with Horn is on the cards. In terms of timing, maybe at the end of next year.
Yes, I don't see what's in it for Horn at this point. He is looking to go up a weight division and again challenge for a title. When Horn looks to retire in a couple of years I could see this as a high paying finale for him against Tszyu. At this point I don't see Tim Tszyu in the same category as his father. His fathers ability to move his head just a few centimeters to ensure his opponent missed but left him well balanced for a counter punch against the best of opponents is a clear point of difference for me.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Kostya had literally hundreds of amateur fights in Russia before he turned pro to develop that finely tuned defence which allowed him to keep pouring offensive pressure without being hit.

I can't see Timofy gettuing near that...
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins

A couple of decent domestic PPVs coming up.

Tim Tszyu on Wednesday night against Dwight Ritchie is a good fight. Ritchie has no power but does have decent hand speed and skills so will provide a good test for Tszyu at this stage of his career. Decent undercard as well featuring some competitively matched fights.

Then Jeff Horn v Michael Zerafa at the end of the month with another good undercard.

I like Tszyu and Horn to win.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Props to you for picking Tim Tszyu as a talent from a long way out

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Only two more sleeps for Horn v Zerafa.
Big money bouts await the winner in the Middle Weight division. Probably a better weight division for Horn at this stage of his career/age. He won't have to shed so much weight in this division. Should be a beauty in Bendigo.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

It is reported the ring girls have been sacked from showing the Rounds and will be replaced by men following complaints from local Council. What a joke. The three girls who were to do the job will be replaced by men. The term 'ring girls' has been replaced by the term 'fight progress managers'. The Councillors objections effectively sacked three women from earning an income on fight night. The charge is women are being objectified. The women who will earn an income are the four female fighters involved on fight night. What a sad state of affairs when female round models are sacked for male round models. The job will still be done, but it is no longer considered 'womens work'.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Tight first round. Horn knocked down in the second but back up. Zerafa has a lethal right hand. Good mover too.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Horn fights back with strong left hand, but head clash has opened a cut above his left eye. doctors looking at him. Ok to continue, but will need his corner to work overtime. More good left hands from Horn. Rd 3 to Horn. Rd 2 to Zerafa. Rd 1 a coin toss.

Rd 4 to Zerafa. Both are taking punishment. A battle of wills. Zerafa skilful.

Rd 5 another close one. Horn the aggressor and working the body trying to wear down Zerafa but Zerafa probably in front at the half way mark.

Rd 6 to Horn but Zerafa scoring well with his right.

Rd 7 was all Horn for most of it and he showed he has a good right as well. But Zerafa came home very strong at the end.

Rd 8 and Zerafa again connects with a big right. His round I reckon. This is very tight up to this point with 2 rounds to go.

Rd 9 and Zerafa stops Horn. Zerafa a clear winner. Well done to him. I think Zerafa surprised Horn with his skill level. I don't know that it was the increase in weight which troubled Horn rather than the talent of Zerafa. That right hand is a beauty.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm no boxing guru..far from it.

But as an outsider looking in I knew Jeff Horn was in trouble after I watched Friday's weigh in.

He looked out of shape..yeah yeah I know the step up in weight but he said it himself he'd been eating anything he wanted. I don't know, I shouldn't be questioning these guys..this is a blood sport and the preparation involved is intense.

He doesn't even have a boxers body..

Walk away Jeff..while the brain still functions.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I mentioned a while back my mates son took up boxing this year, he's 16yo just won nsw u/19 champion
Edrick The Entertainer
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Horn all over the papers today talking about a lack of preparation for the Zerafa fight and his head not in the right place. Given that, it is time to retire. All the talk is about a comeback. The Zerafa fight was the come back, give it away Jeff or you'll end up like Anthony Mundine. You talk today about your nice new house and car and family. Don't put your health at risk when the hunger is gone and all that is left is ego.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Horn v Zerafa rematch scheduled for December.

Oh dear.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

RedRaider wrote: September 29, 2019, 8:02 pm Horn all over the papers today talking about a lack of preparation for the Zerafa fight and his head not in the right place. Given that, it is time to retire. All the talk is about a comeback. The Zerafa fight was the come back, give it away Jeff or you'll end up like Anthony Mundine. You talk today about your nice new house and car and family. Don't put your health at risk when the hunger is gone and all that is left is ego.
Time to retire or a wake up call? We'll find out soon enough.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Barry Hall v Paul Gallen soon as well..
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

'Tim Tszyu wants to go from Australian top dog to number one on the global stage next year with a boxing world title win topping his 2020 list of goals.
Super welterweight Tszyu, who has jumped to No. 7 in the IBF rankings, fights fellow Aussie Jack Brubaker in Sydney on December 6.'

Should be a beauty on Friday week. Tszyu will be favorite but then so was Horn over Zerafa and look how that turned out. Tim Tszyu is undefeated in 14 Pro fights. He is working his way up the rankings. A loss to Gelignite Jack will be worse for him than the loss for Horn was. Horn had once won a World Championship belt. Tszyu hasn't done that yet. He should still have the hunger.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Tim Tszyu far to good for Brubaker. Gelignite Jack was easily outclassed by Tszyu and Jeff Fenech threw in the towel in Round 4 to protect his fighter. Onwards and upwards for Tim who is now 15-0. His management team will need to find some higher ranked opponents prior to any World title shots. He was rarely tested by Brubaker. Maybe someone like Kell Brook from England who is experienced at the top level and who would test Tim Tszyu.

In some other news which will please many, Darcy Lussick put Justin Hodges lights out in less than 40 seconds of the first round. Lussick is a big powerful man with a big punch and like all big hitters he only has to land it once to cause damage and that was exactly what happened. It was Lussick's first pro fight and it didn't go long enough to see much of his skill except that he has a heavy right hand. Lussick is only 30, not old by boxing standards, so he will get other opportunities to show his wares. As for Hodges, hands kept too low offering his chin as a target. If he is to go again he will need to improve his defensive skills and learn that being able to throw punches is only one side of the coin in boxing. The big one is reducing the opportunity to be hit with a ko blow.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

That lussick punch was a victory for us all.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: December 7, 2019, 9:45 am That lussick punch was a victory for us all.
From the perspective of both sports involved and the result, rugby league was clearly the winner on the night.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Horn beats Zerafa in a majority decision in the re-match. Some controversy with the Ref stopping the fight in the 9th to have the Doc look at Horns cut eye. When the fight resumes Horn puts Zerafa on the deck and Zerafa just holds on. Then Rd 10 and it a matter of who wants it most and Horn it is.

It will open up the possibility for a Title fight for Horn but he is being split open fight after fight. He had a point to prove and did so tonight.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Good to see Tyson Fury win the WBC Heavy Weight title from Deontay Wilder. Irishman Fury was the man who stopped the decade long winning streak of Wladimir Klitschko in 2015 and then surrendered his multiple titles due to mental health issues and the associated alcohol, cocaine and weight issues. For such a large man 206cm or 6'9" he moves so well to avoid being hit. He is undefeated.

A Heavy Weight contest between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua to unite all the Heavy Weight Titles would be a classic match up.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Tszyu/Horn cancelled..
-PJ-
Mal Meninga