Canberra Raiders Team of the Decade

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Bay53
Steve Walters

Re: Canberra Raiders Team of the Decade

Post by Bay53 »

Bay53 wrote: August 28, 2019, 2:48 pm
julian87 wrote: August 28, 2019, 11:19 am I don’t like lists like that either.

Weird one though after reading Matt’s list I had to look James Stuart up. Don’t remember him at all, doesn’t happen often with ex raiders who’ve played first grade.
Jimmy Stuart was at the Forever Green reunion the other week. Recognised the face but couldn’t put a name to it.

He was a local junior, came up through the ranks and played a handful of games. From memory they were on the wing but he was more of a Centre. Would have only had one season where he played first grade.

I am sure he went to Qld Cup after that.

But this just proves my point. Like every kid playing junior rugby league he dreamed of playing NRL and probably for his local club.

He did that.

Did he make a fortune out of the game or become an Immortal? Not even close but for a moment he played in the best rugby league competition in the world where people paid money to come and watch him play.
On closer inspection he played 5 games in 2010 and 2 in 2011. Only one was centre all others on the wing. Didn’t score any points. Only 2 wins in those 7 games.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Bay53 wrote: August 28, 2019, 2:57 pm

Weird one though after reading Matt’s list I had to look James Stuart up. Don’t remember him at all, doesn’t happen often with ex raiders who’ve played first grade.
Jimmy Stuart was at the Forever Green reunion the other week. Recognised the face but couldn’t put a name to it.

He was a local junior, came up through the ranks and played a handful of games. From memory they were on the wing but he was more of a Centre. Would have only had one season where he played first grade.

But this just proves my point. Like every kid playing junior rugby league he dreamed of playing NRL and probably for his local club.

He did that.

Did he make a fortune out of the game or become an Immortal? Not even close but for a moment he played in the best rugby league competition in the world where people paid money to come and watch him play.
On closer inspection he played 5 games in 2010 and 2 in 2011. Only one was centre all others on the wing. Didn’t score any points. Only 2 wins in those 7 games.
He broke his leg and never played or was seen of again
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I think you might be thinking of James Evans there, Matty.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Rickman wrote: August 28, 2019, 4:07 pm I think you might be thinking of James Evans there, Matty.
According to Wikipedia - best factual site out there - Evan blew his knee on a goal post, while Stuart lost a leg to a Great White Shark, but continued playing League.
Im inclined to believe you.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, I remember the sickening moment when Evans bent his leg around the goal-post in the act of scoring a try quite vividly.

He was quite a promising young centre too.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Rickman wrote: August 28, 2019, 4:54 pm Yeah, I remember the sickening moment when Evans bent his leg around the goal-post in the act of scoring a try quite vividly.

He was quite a promising young centre too.
I remember it too, just wrong James.

Carney's was worse. You could hear the screams in the grandstand.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Ugh, yeah I can still picture Carney’s leg flopping around quite vividly too

Thanks a lot, Matt
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Bay53 wrote:

He did that.

he had some sort of debilitating leg drama, was an exciting junior before his problems
Edrick The Entertainer
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Rickman wrote: August 29, 2019, 8:58 am Ugh, yeah I can still picture Carney’s leg flopping around quite vividly too

Thanks a lot, Matt
sorry mate