Our inability to handle the niggle

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Our inability to handle the niggle

Post by Northern Raider »

Yeah, don't see the same tactics working next time. Of course we won't play Manly again till 2020 as they won't get through to a preliminary final. :D
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah i think this period has been very instructive for our team.
This Sharks game upcoming is the final fire test, then we probably get a little gimmie at home against a warriors team already checked out and we know what's in front of us.

The more i watch sports, the more i believe that team sports is not a lot different to that old saying about boxing - Styles make fights. Our margin for error is smaller going against Manly so i'd like to avoid them. I respect the Storm and Rabbitohs, and those are teams who absolutely can beat us but i'd go into those games with a lot of confidence. The roosters are the bench mark clearly and if we come against them, nothing but our best will get it done.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Woodgers wrote: August 26, 2019, 9:51 pm
The Rickman wrote: August 26, 2019, 9:42 pm On closer inspection, that’s a REALLY interesting graph, as I would’ve just assumed that over a five year period every team would’ve given away EXACTLY the same amount of penalties

It’s now obvious to me the NRL has a conspiracy against teams like the Raiders, Souths and Melbourne while obviously favouring the glamour clubs like the bulldogs, titans and the broncos

Probably explains why those clubs win all the premierships
All you'd have to do is apply logic to the graph to work out that the majority of teams are where they are and there will be some anomalies in the pack as with any graph. Souths and the Burgess boys have been pushing the boundaries for the past 5 years and it's been a big success, i'm not surprised to see them there but they're still a 'have' club, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw other graphs on things like VR decisions if they wouldn't be near the top. Melbourne as I said are clearly the biggest ruck manipulators in the league just on the eye test of most fans.

Are you furiously texting Pigman? I bet you are. This is great. After telling everyone that we were all so wrong you cop a proper metric like this and *checks notes* it indicates you weren't that clever all along while running around slinging mud! ha ha ha brilliant.
Boy, just enjoying going over this thread in the light of a new day.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

The biggest problem for the team around this is that we are not 100% committed to our game plan and our style of play. The top teams like the roosters and storm have their game and they play that pretty much every week.

We have been much better at that this season but still have gone away from it at some critical times and unfortunately it seems to be on the bigger occasions where we go away from what we know works.

This has been games where we are playing for a ladder position or games against other finals contenders. We seem to get caught up in the emotion of the game rather than sticking religiously to what we know we need to do.

I see it as a maturity issue and we are growing in this area but still have some work to do.

I think Hodgson needs to get a bit better at changing up the play when required and he played a bit too wide against manly where we needed to hit the lead runner more often. Playing wide worked against the storm but we weren’t able to make the shift we needed to when it mattered.

Fortunately we get another shot at a very similar style team this week so we have a chance to redeem ourselves.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The Sharks will niggle and scrag us on the ground because that's how they play. We though, have our two worst 'reactors' sitting on the sidelines this week. I have no doubt that Gallens final home match will mean the spice will be 'extra' hot this week. I reckon Sticky will be pushing the players to focus on the game plan in this match. He was clearly disappointed the game plan was not followed against Manly.