BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: 2019 Rd 24 V Sharks: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by BadnMean »

simo wrote: August 28, 2019, 1:48 pm
Hes been killing it in the recent ladbrokes footage ive been seeing
Really? What has he got in his game?

For us he was a willing defender, but not that effective. Charge hell for leather in to make a tackle but just as often get bounced off and be ineffective, leading to a scramble to clean up/potentially scattered line. Never showed much in attack.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote:

For us he was a willing defender, but not that effective. Charge hell for leather in to make a tackle but just as often get bounced off and be ineffective, leading to a scramble to clean up/potentially scattered line. Never showed much in attack.
And was playing for the warriors by mid-season
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

The Rickman wrote: August 28, 2019, 7:47 pm
BadnMean wrote:

And was playing for the warriors by mid-season
But I remember him being pretty much a nonentity for the warriors too. I'm just genuinely curious to know what he had that we missed or that comes out at other levels of the game. I guess he had a reasonable acceleration. But that is no good in the NRL without good gamesense (Simonsen in our team appears potentially one of the quickest in NRL but never gets in the clear as he can't sniff the gaps yet. )
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

beetlejuice wrote: August 28, 2019, 12:23 pm
cat wrote: August 27, 2019, 9:40 pm Sunday is a sell out. So those of us with a seat will be ok, good luck squeezing on the hill !

Those parking will need to get there extra extra early

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
away membership ticket for the win! who else is crazy enough to travel to this cesspit of a ground?

thanks for the heads up regarding parking, im playing my baseball semi final earlier that day on the Central Coast so im having to drive down for the match.
I don’t think it will be a particular issue. The ground record is over 22k but I think they have sold tickets to about 18k.

Parking is also not too bad as well. Most of the surrounding area is residential so you will get a park, just depends how far you have to walk to the ground. You could always park at another station and catch the train to Wooloware. Tickets include transport.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

We usually leave a trail of destruction and people get injured playing us, what's the chance Dugan goes down more than 3 times ?

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Re: 2019 Rd 24 V Sharks: Teams and Previews

Post by Neeeegz »

89_90_94_?? wrote:Have only just recovered from the eagles lose. Much harder to take when your having a good year. Important game for our top 4 chances. 2 very good forward packs going head to head, winner wins the middle 3rd
I **** hate manly. I cannot dwell on a loss to EDIT

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

The Rickman wrote:
julian87 wrote: August 28, 2019, 12:20 pm Stuart has the team right again IMO.
Yep, there really are a lot less "selection shocks" this year, aren't there?

You can pretty much be guaranteed to pick his 17 player for player most games this season, it hasn't been the case in years gone by.
I especially like the part where Luke Bateman hasn't been named in the 21 all year.

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Neeeegz wrote: August 28, 2019, 9:55 pm
The Rickman wrote:
julian87 wrote: August 28, 2019, 12:20 pm Stuart has the team right again IMO.
Yep, there really are a lot less "selection shocks" this year, aren't there?

You can pretty much be guaranteed to pick his 17 player for player most games this season, it hasn't been the case in years gone by.
I especially like the part where Luke Bateman hasn't been named in the 21 all year.

InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

If Manly and Souths win and Raider lose we go to 5th.
Last round Souths host Roosters, Eels host Manly and Raiders host Warriors.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Neeeegz wrote: August 28, 2019, 9:42 pm We usually leave a trail of destruction and people get injured playing us, what's the chance Dugan goes down more than 3 times ?

Chance of us giving away a penalty by going the niggle on Duges, 95%
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

InFernos_Raiders wrote:If Manly and Souths win and Raider lose we go to 5th.
Last round Souths host Roosters, Eels host Manly and Raiders host Warriors.
Yup, so provided Souths lose to the roosters and we beat the warriors, we finish in the top 4

Also, if manly lose to the Storm this weekend and we beat the warriors we finish in the top 4

Seriously, this game is important, but it’s not the end of the world provided we win against the warriors and either Souths lose to the roosters or manly lose to the Storm (both quite likely, one of them to happen very likely)
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Just sucks that we have to depend on other results given the season we've had
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Azza wrote: August 29, 2019, 9:02 am Just sucks that we have to depend on other results given the season we've had
Well we don't really, if we win both our games we're fine.

If we only win one we need either Manly to lose to the Storm or Souths lose to the Roosters (both highly likely), but if we win both games this point is moo anyway.

So really, results are still 100% in our hands and we're still likely to make the Top 4 even if we lose this week!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

The Rickman wrote: August 29, 2019, 10:05 am
Azza wrote: August 29, 2019, 9:02 am Just sucks that we have to depend on other results given the season we've had

If we only win one we need either Manly to lose to the Storm or Souths lose to the Roosters (both highly likely), but if we win both games this point is moo anyway.

So really, results are still 100% in our hands and we're still likely to make the Top 4 even if we lose this week!
Probably true but I still feel incredibly pained about that Manly loss. Haven't felt so frustrated after a loss in a long time. Crappy game, another loss in a big game at home, poor refereeing and it would have been so valuable if we had won it in terms of consolidating third.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Azza wrote: August 29, 2019, 10:21 am

Probably true but I still feel incredibly pained about that Manly loss. Haven't felt so frustrated after a loss in a long time. Crappy game, another loss in a big game at home, poor refereeing and it would have been so valuable if we had won it in terms of consolidating third.
So would you have preferred if we'd beaten Manly and lost to the Storm?
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I hope to see Papalii remind Gallen why he's retiring
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

The Rickman wrote: August 29, 2019, 10:26 am

So would you have preferred if we'd beaten Manly and lost to the Storm?
Yeah nice one, muppet. :lol:

Not related at all to my point. I was happy with the Storm win, not sure what that has to do with my commentary on the Manly loss.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

I think it's a missed opportunity for AAMI not to throw their sponsorship dollars at Pointsbet Stadium to rename it AAMI Shark Park

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Interestingly...Belinda Sharpe, the touchie for our game, is the pocket ref for tonight’s game in North Queensland. Didn’t know referees doubled up on games? Thought it was just the video refs.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

The @thedockcbr is a bit of a union sports bar, but they’re catching on! @raiderscanberra #NRL #weareraiders #wearecbr #bleedgreen #rugbyleague #canberraraiders

If you buy a beer you can go in a draw to win one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Why does Ruben Wiki's MILK jersey have an 8 on it?!?
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Me too.
I don't know what it is, but that result has had me irate all week...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote:Why does Ruben Wiki's MILK jersey have an 8 on it?!?

Don’t know. You’ll have to ask these blokes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Only Raider set to do an end of season nudie run is Horsburgh (no tries, minimum 10 games)

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Sid wrote: August 29, 2019, 1:14 pm Only Raider set to do an end of season nudie run is Horsburgh (no tries, minimum 10 games)
Cue Big Red running over the top of Gal to score.

Im looking forward to the Gal Vs Horse/Hudson-Young show this weekend. Here hoping for a bit more disrespect.
Green thumbs
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Green thumbs »

I completely agree. I felt that was a litmus test game that we could have and should have won. Plus, it was in front of a massive home crowd. It seemed an extra let down for them to lose when so many people turned out for them. Someone said they were overwhelmed by the expectations of 20,000 people - seriously? It should have buoyed them up!

At least we are in the great position of worrying about WHERE in the top 8 we end up, not if and how we can get ourselves into the top 8 by some miracle. Of course I want to be in the top 4 though.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders ready to be Paul Gallen party poopers

The Canberra Raiders say they need to "learn fast lessons" to spoil Paul Gallen's home farewell.

"We tried to play our hand too much and did a few things we hadn't done for a while. We need to look at those and fix them up fast," Whitehead said. "Manly got us frustrated and that made us go away from what we knew would work. We needed to stop that during the game, we'll learn fast lessons.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... y-poopers/

Canberra Raiders vow to turn other cheek if Cronulla Sharks get niggly

Jarrod Croker said Canberra were preparing to turn the other cheek to any niggling tactics employed by Cronulla in the pressure-cooker environment of Sunday's crucial sold-out Sharks home game.

"Cronulla are a similar sort of side to Manly, they're scrappy and they want to take you into the trenches and get in the fight so we have to be a lot better at that and how we handled it against Manly."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/29/rai ... et-niggly/

Raiders preparing for gritty Sharks in NRL: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/raiders-pr ... b33c395ffc

VIDEO: Paul Gallen is set for his final ever match at Shark Park when the Cronulla Sharks host the Canberra Raiders. Sam Squiers and Matthew Elliott preview the match up: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/29/sha ... -round-24/
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Interesting that Whitehead and Croker have identified exactly the same issues as some posters here- went away from the game plan and paid the price + need to stay above that dumb niggle.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

To be honest, I think a big part of the reason we lost wasn't so much getting caught up in any niggle, it was getting too far ahead of ourselves and just trying to score off every play... it was sloppy football and they needed to just do what they've done most of the season. I was a little bit worried about this after the way they were posing for photos after the Storm game... like they'd won the grand final.

They certainly took the eye off the ball against Manly, and hopefully they've learned a LOT about how you go about winning football games against ANY opposition.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

I re-watched the second half of the Manly game. I’d mostly put down the loss to key errors/poor decisions and less so to the refereeing, which I’d considered more pedantic than anything.

However, on second viewing, the refereeing had far more impact.

Firstly, the big calls were more influential than I’d remembered. The offside intercept was clearer and we’d been all over Manly at that point. Huge game-changer.

Fonua-Blake walked three metres off the mark before playing the ball - it was hilarious how far he went - and then the Raiders markers were penalised. Insane.

Even stuff like Sutton’s penalty for incorrectly playing the ball. Taupau did an identical one in the second half that went uncalled - like most weeks - and this led to the Jake try.

And stopping the clock for Boyle’s HIA when Rapa had made a break, got head-highed and then taken a quick tap killed us. We had them totally on the ropes and I’m sure the next play would have been switch left to Jack who would have smashed threw the line like he did all game.

The Raiders actually played well in spite of the outrageous stop-start officiating that suited Manly far more. Their defence was excellent and they did the right things to get back into a game they should never have been behind in.

But there’s only so much you can do.

I’m feeling far better about our chances from here despite being extremely frustrated about the loss.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

English quartet challenge Canberra Raiders teammates to Ashes bet

Elliott Whitehead called his captain Jarrod Croker at 2am after England's recent Test cricket win to remind him about a bet amongst the players, with the losers facing being "dressed up" by the winners.

"I was a bit worried about the last Test after our first innings and a few of the [Raiders] boys gave it to me, so it was nice for Stokesy to step up. I called Crokes pretty early, I don't think he was too happy."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... iders-bet/
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

The Rickman wrote: August 29, 2019, 3:28 pm To be honest, I think a big part of the reason we lost wasn't so much getting caught up in any niggle, it was getting too far ahead of ourselves and just trying to score off every play... it was sloppy football and they needed to just do what they've done most of the season. I was a little bit worried about this after the way they were posing for photos after the Storm game... like they'd won the grand final.

They certainly took the eye off the ball against Manly, and hopefully they've learned a LOT about how you go about winning football games against ANY opposition.
Agree.
The niggle wasn't an issue for me.
The biggest issue was the referring which interrupted the flow of play.
Also, Manly rushed our edge play makers (mainly Sezer) and we failed to counter this tactic. Cronulla will most likely do the same IMO (I.e. rush up on Sezer / Wighton).
We need to play short and through the middle if Cronulla attempt this tactic.
Have CNK rushing up in attack and preparing to take a ball inside of Sezer / Wighton so that Cronulla can't simply use the 'Umbrella defence' to counter our wide shifts.
Also - we may want to consider shifting earlier (like we did against Melbourne).
Cronulla will expect a grind - give them the opposite. It's high risk, but high reward.
I hope I'm wrong about this game. I'd love a win here to give the team confidence.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Ruben Daley wrote: August 29, 2019, 3:39 pm I re-watched the second half of the Manly game. I’d mostly put down the loss to key errors/poor decisions and less so to the refereeing, which I’d considered more pedantic than anything.

However, on second viewing, the refereeing had far more impact.

Firstly, the big calls were more influential than I’d remembered. The offside intercept was clearer and we’d been all over Manly at that point. Huge game-changer.

Fonua-Blake walked three metres off the mark before playing the ball - it was hilarious how far he went - and then the Raiders markers were penalised. Insane.

Even stuff like Sutton’s penalty for incorrectly playing the ball. Taupau did an identical one in the second half that went uncalled - like most weeks - and this led to the Jake try.

And stopping the clock for Boyle’s HIA when Rapa had made a break, got head-highed and then taken a quick tap killed us. We had them totally on the ropes and I’m sure the next play would have been switch left to Jack who would have smashed threw the line like he did all game.

The Raiders actually played well in spite of the outrageous stop-start officiating that suited Manly far more. Their defence was excellent and they did the right things to get back into a game they should never have been behind in.

But there’s only so much you can do.

I’m feeling far better about our chances from here despite being extremely frustrated about the loss.
1000%.
This is why I have been unable to get over this game.
We really were dudded. Manly are not better than us in 2019, but the records now show otherwise.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders road show puts Green Machine on verge of best away record in 16 years

The road warrior Canberra Raiders will use a hostile Cronulla crowd as preparation for the finals as they aim to continue one of the best away from home seasons in club history. If they topple one of their biggest rivals it will be just the third time since 1982 the Raiders have won nine or more away games in a year.

"It's fun being on the road. We love being at home, but that away trip you switch off a bit on the way up there and enjoy each other's company," Croker said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239