Joey Leilua

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Re: Joey Leilua

Post by Kryptonite »

Hazza wrote: August 26, 2019, 3:36 pm Ha! Every time. If you don't think we're a better side with having BJ at his best in our side well....nothing I say can help you out. I actually thought he showed a lot of promising signs, few good runs and the offload returned. Obviously his brain fade was dumb and inexcusable but let's not get carried away now. People have short memories, he beat the Broncos on his own earlier in the year.
The rubbish in BJs game could cost us a GF win, but i guess at his devastating best could win us a GF
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Kryptonite wrote: August 26, 2019, 6:30 pm
Hazza wrote: August 26, 2019, 3:36 pm Ha! Every time. If you don't think we're a better side with having BJ at his best in our side well....nothing I say can help you out. I actually thought he showed a lot of promising signs, few good runs and the offload returned. Obviously his brain fade was dumb and inexcusable but let's not get carried away now. People have short memories, he beat the Broncos on his own earlier in the year.
The rubbish in BJs game could cost us a GF win, but i guess at his devastating best could win us a GF
The rubbish in BJ's game has- overall- been reduced. He was great in the first quarter of this year before his neck went, his best ever defence and discipline and he was still killing it in attack. Big picture, we need to see if this is a blip on an upward curve (as I think) or the sign of an irredeemable jackass. I don't think he'll ever be Mr Smooth Sailing but I think he's improved and will be no liability in the long run.

He's trying Ringo... He's trying real hard to be the shepherd.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

He's changed. That experience must of been life altering for him. He doesn't look himself since he came back. Understandably also, but that brain snap to drop his knees was very park footy player like.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Kryptonite wrote: August 26, 2019, 6:30 pm The rubbish in BJs game could cost us a GF win, but i guess at his devastating best could win us a GF
That's exactly what it is... it's the risk you take with Beej. I think he does far more good than bad, and if i need to win a single game of footy to take home a title, im going in eyes open and with full understanding of what it is and ill take my chances with him
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Given he wont be back before finals, i think the best move for the remainder of this year might be bj14.
Dont delete this GE
BJ
Steve Walters

Joey Leilua

Post by BJ »

I’m surprised he got more than a basic grading. I’ve seen plenty of knees in the back of try scorers over the years and can’t remember players missing games for it.

But maybe someone can prove me wrong.

I also thought they would include the 8 point try as part of the punishment.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

He did also do two lots of knees in the one game...

And a tackle off the ball.

Two weeks is a fair cop.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Can’t help but feel we really missed an opportunity yesterday.
I hope I’m wrong, but I get the feeling that if we don’t beat the Sharks this weekend, mentally the team will be on the skids.
Really makes me angry to think about BJ’s brain explosion.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gangrenous wrote:He did also do two lots of knees in the one game...

And a tackle off the ball.

Two weeks is a fair cop.
But no other players get charged for other stupid things they do in a game. It’s about the offence itself.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’m just saying when you knee two blokes in the one game you tend to expect less leniency because they might consider it accidental.

The tackle off the ball wouldn’t have played a role in the grading, but they could have considered a charge for that also given recent form.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

the charge would be a 1 week suspension with an early plea, as a base
but he has 50 points carry over and has 20% loading for priors... so he gets 2 weeks...

i dunno seems reasonable
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

gangrenous wrote: August 26, 2019, 9:09 pm I’m just saying when you knee two blokes in the one game you tend to expect less leniency because they might consider it accidental.

The tackle off the ball wouldn’t have played a role in the grading, but they could have considered a charge for that also given recent form.
I called him brain dead when he did it the first time.

I couldn’t believe he had the audacity to do it a second time.

I was speechless.

8 point try. Lead change. Momentum change. Game over.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

PigRickman wrote: August 26, 2019, 6:30 pm
Matt wrote: August 26, 2019, 1:30 pm
PigRickman wrote: August 25, 2019, 8:44 pm
gangrenous wrote: August 25, 2019, 8:38 pm
PigRickman wrote:If we want to win a comp, we need to bet on BJ.
And maybe he does something dumb that costs us the game, or maybe he does something only he can do and wins us a game
This was certainly true with our 2016 team. With a little more depth in the backs at the moment I’m not convinced it’s true in 2019.

I think this team sans BJ can still win a GF
It can, but we're removing one of our real weapons. BJ can dominate a game, he can be a CC medalist. He's the best centre in the game when he's at his best. Unstoppable. I dont care who you put there, he's better than them

I bet on upside.
Latrell?
Close, but i think Beej's best game on tape to date is a more dominant and complete game to Mitchell's best game so far.
Mind you Latrell has barely scratched the surface on what he's capable of
If there is a coach out there that can unleash that kid wk in wk out, he will be untouchable.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I honestly think we should fight it. It’s two weeks either way, and Joey DESPERATELY needs those games
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

The Rickman wrote: August 26, 2019, 9:45 pm I honestly think we should fight it. It’s two weeks either way, and Joey DESPERATELY needs those games
Fight what exactly?
He had all the time in the world to avoid it. Hell, he could have not chased at all and saved us 2 additional points.
I’m still so pissed off. Worst I’ve felt post game in a very long time.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

BadnMean wrote: August 26, 2019, 6:54 pm He's trying Ringo... He's trying real hard to be the shepherd.
Or as Rick Stuart might ask, "Why have I always gotta be on brain duty?"
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

GreenMachine wrote: August 26, 2019, 10:00 pm
The Rickman wrote: August 26, 2019, 9:45 pm I honestly think we should fight it. It’s two weeks either way, and Joey DESPERATELY needs those games
Fight what exactly?
He had all the time in the world to avoid it. Hell, he could have not chased at all and saved us 2 additional points.
I’m with you GM - he’s been a star at times, his pre injury form was great but that was brainless on Sunday and to me looked like actions of a frustrated player struggling with fitness. As Rickman says - 2 extra weeks on the sidelines will hurt him more. Unless the replacement options fail to click badly I’m happy putting a line through BJ for this season.
Supershamrock
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: J Toots

Post by Supershamrock »

Billy Walker wrote: August 27, 2019, 8:36 am
Fight what exactly?
I’m with you GM - he’s been a star at times, his pre injury form was great but that was brainless on Sunday and to me looked like actions of a frustrated player struggling with fitness. As Rickman says - 2 extra weeks on the sidelines will hurt him more. Unless the replacement options fail to click badly I’m happy putting a line through BJ for this season.
I'd be nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof including a Joey Leilua who's only played two games (one solid, one full of frustration and resulting stupidity) with no match fitness first up in a final after another two weeks off.

I know at his best can be the deciding factor for a win, but another game like that in the finals and he can be the deciding factor the other way...

Genuinely hope it's just a blip and we fight it somehow to get another two weeks on the park before finals. If we don't and he sits out it's just too much of a risk for me.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

The club has accepted the early guilty plea, effectively conceding defeat....or Stuart is happy to have BJ sit on the sidelines for a couple of weeks to think about what he has done.

In all honesty, and I love having BJ in the team, I think he will find it hard to break back into the team this year if Simonsson and Cotric put in dominant performances over the next 2 weeks.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Fight what exactly?
Jesus, don't reference my comments in another attempt to be peddling the same crap about Joey that you've now spread over a bunch of threads about dropping him from the team... for mine he comes straight back into the team Finals Week 1, underdone or not.

You don't leave a genuine X-Factor like Leilua out of the team because of some bizarre desire to always be contrary to the rest of the fanbase.

Although I guess I should be happy that you've decided to move on from our captain for the time being.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Peter wrote: August 27, 2019, 1:10 pm The club has accepted the early guilty plea, effectively conceding defeat....or Stuart is happy to have BJ sit on the sidelines for a couple of weeks to think about what he has done.

In all honesty, and I love having BJ in the team, I think he will find it hard to break back into the team this year if Simonsson and Cotric put in dominant performances over the next 2 weeks.
Bit of both maybe.

In regards to making it back in the team, absolutely he does. He's one of the most dangerous attacking players in the NRL. We would be mad to leave him on the stand come finals time.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

The Rickman wrote: August 27, 2019, 1:23 pm
Fight what exactly?
Jesus, don't reference my comments in another attempt to be peddling the same crap about Joey that you've now spread over a bunch of threads about dropping him from the team... for mine he comes straight back into the team Finals Week 1, underdone or not.

You don't leave a genuine X-Factor like Leilua out of the team because of some bizarre desire to always be contrary to the rest of the fanbase.

Although I guess I should be happy that you've decided to move on from our captain for the time being.
I accept that will be the case. Believe me - Joey hurt Joey as much as he hurt the team on Sunday.
He needed to buckle down and get minutes in his legs. He is a super threat that we need focused all the time.

I just feel, backed by Sticky;s comments on NRL 360 last night, there is no way to split the atom with Joey. You get the bad with the good. I worry the bad is hindering us more than the good helps us and I cite this season as an example.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

My main concern about bringing BJ back is he plays on the right. If Hodgo is not going to pass to Sezer as much it gives less oppty to our right side Leipana combo. That means BJ and Raps do more defence and less attack. We dont get to utilise the X factor BJ and Leipana bring to the game.
In my mind their attack is far better than their defence so we actually are bringing in BJs liability rather than his strengths.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

BJ and Rapa roam around enough getting involved off quick play the balls and BJ's rampages often enough that (as previous years have shown) at their best, the halfback playing to them is not as relevant. They produce their own stuff.

Ideally yes, we have a et play or two to run through them but they are far less reliant on it than the left edge and their well rehearsed/executed sweep plays for example.

I think we are at the point where incredible, standout game by the scruff performances by Simonsson and Cotric can force BJ to the bench (winning games and dominating);

or if we head in to the finals still looking a bit scratchy, then adding BJ back to centre is the edge we may just need to get over these big team. And yes, we will be backing him to not be so dumb again this season. If we are at the this stage, the it's a gamble we must take and I think he'll aim up.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The Rickman wrote: August 27, 2019, 1:23 pm
Fight what exactly?

Yeah - I kind of lost faith in your strong opinions when you told me there was no way Havilli would ever be left off the bench and I was silly for suggesting it 🤣
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Well that sounds like about as big a rewriting of history you can come up with

Why don’t you just go back to agreeing with your alts on ridiculous ideas?
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

If Leilua gets 2 weeks then surely James roberts has to get more than 2 weeks for his incident... there was no intent to hurt the manly player, whereas that jerk roberts had full on intent when smashing an already unconscious players head into the ground...
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

No intent?

I have some magic beans you may be interested in

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: August 27, 2019, 9:35 pm No intent?

I have some magic beans you may be interested in

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk
In fairness you possibly could make an argument there was no intent to hurt him if you took the view he intended to kill him 😂
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The Rickman wrote: August 27, 2019, 9:22 pm Well that sounds like about as big a rewriting of history you can come up with

You keep accusing me of having alts. There is no way I would have time to manage more than one profile. I sometimes worry it’s not the most productive, healthy balance of my time to be averaging 2.84 posts a day as it is. How you average 16.44 posts a day and still find time for other priorities in life is a credit to you! Definitely no other alts for me fella 😉
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Billy Walker wrote:
The Rickman wrote: August 27, 2019, 9:22 pm Well that sounds like about as big a rewriting of history you can come up with

You keep accusing me of having alts. There is no way I would have time to manage more than one profile. I sometimes worry it’s not the most productive, healthy balance of my time to be averaging 2.84 posts a day as it is. How you average 16.44 posts a day and still find time for other priorities in life is a credit to you! Definitely no other alts for me fella Image
It’s really not that hard, all I do is call out any posts that I think are stupid

The count adds up quite quickly with that system in place

See?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Plus he benefits from recursion under those rules
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote: August 28, 2019, 8:53 am Plus he benefits from recursion under those rules Image
If anything, it's getting harder and harder to stick to my own impossibly high standards!
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Neeeegz wrote: August 26, 2019, 7:22 pm He's changed. That experience must of been life altering for him. He doesn't look himself since he came back

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I must be watching a different game. He looks possibly a tad short of a gallop. But I did notice a remarkably strong carry in the first half where he put Rapan away despite carrying 3 defenders.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

He's been back for 2 games after 4 months lay off. Of course he doesnt look himself haha