Ricky Stuart on NRL 360

Post by greeneyed »

Coming up on Fox League!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Ricky Stuart on NRL 360 shortly

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart interview:

Expected a messy ruck. Manly employed different tactics from the Storm. We saw a very messy game, we tried to shift too much yesterday, you can't go around that sort of jam in the defence, they cut us off a lot. We'll improve.

Why were you in the box on a Sunday? Prefer to be on the sideline, there is some stuff in attack I'm watching, I can't see if from the sideline. I went to the box to make sure I could get the right messages to the players.

Joey Leilua. He can be such a weapon, then those brain explosions hurt the whole team. Joey has to ensure that is fixed, I can't.

We talk about being a community team, we appreciate the tough conditions our fans endure, really good day yesterday, unfortunately couldn't get a win for them.

Viking clap. We see a lot of it at other functions, away games, usually I see it at the ground, I walk out before the boys. Great to see the drummers, means a lot to the boys and the crowd too.

Improved performance? Defence, and maturing team, now understand what sort of football we're trying to produce. We've been a strong attacking team the last few years, but the last two we couldn't make the play offs. We've done a lot on our defence. Andrew McFadden and Brett White have put a lot of detail into it. Great work to improve it.

Number of penalties? A bit inconsistent, some have nine, some 26-30. We've been down the latter track and my big concern is we're becoming too sterile. Not the fabric of the game to have that many penalties. If that's the trend for the semi finals, we need to know as coaches so we can get in the gutter, have a mud fight.

Jarrod Croker. So proud of Jarrod, he can certainly sniff out a try. As a leader, having Josh Hodgson as co-captain has unleashed him. He's more confident and can take tough decisions with the boys. His own leadership quality, his preparation and personality is “follow me”. He's the role model I want every player in the club to follow. He's been a great try saver this year though one on one defence, as he's confident in his inside player, Jack Wighton, in defence. Josh has been a wonderful assistant as leader.

Laurie Daley. Does he compare to Laurie Daley? Jack Wighton... had to shift him as I needed his defence up front. I had to make the call and not change it, as Jack needs stability. Our front line defence was the key, it was going to be stronger with him there. Jack reminded me of Laurie when I first came to the club due to his running style and defence. I'd never compare them, they're so different, yet similar. Jack still has a lot of improvement left in his football.

Pre match banter between coaches. Don't think it hurts, if you take it to heart you've got a problem. I saw Paul Gallen and told him, hey fatso, don't expect too many favours next week.

@FOXNRL on Twitter

Highlights of Ricky Stuart on NRL 360:

https://twitter.com/FOXNRL/status/1165933194467631105

https://twitter.com/FOXNRL/status/1165933829791502337
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Thanks GE - hard not to like Stick!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Interesting his comments about the Viking clap and how he goes out before the boys. I’ve always thought it would be a huge rev up to run out to the Viking clap but it seems the clap generally wraps up and then the players emerge- never understood why they don’t run out a tad earlier.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Gee that’s a good interview, absolutely everything Stick said was 100% spot on the money
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The Rickman wrote: August 26, 2019, 10:05 pm Gee that’s a good interview, absolutely everything Stick said was 100% spot on the money
Yeah I’ve got no problems with the club resigning him - he’s a good operator.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: Ricky Stuart on NRL 360

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Billy Walker wrote:
The Rickman wrote: August 26, 2019, 10:05 pm Gee that’s a good interview, absolutely everything Stick said was 100% spot on the money
I would prefer if they re-sign him though
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 26, 2019, 10:22 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
I would prefer if they re-sign him though
I suspect he would prefer that as well :thumbsup
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Agreed.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I like his comments on BJ's brainfarts. "Joey has to fix that, I can't.". Puts it back on the player to take ownership of the problem.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart warns ‘boring’ NRL officiating will drive away fans

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart says over-officiating is making the NRL “sterile” after a whopping 26 penalties during the Raiders’ loss to Manly on Sunday.

“It’s just a little bit inconsistent when you’ve got games that have seven penalties and then we had 26,” Stuart told NRL 360.

Read more and video: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 853fb15616

Canberra Raiders were robbed with clear offside in build-up to key Manly Sea Eagles try, say NRL: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 11fb829374
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

For those who missed the interview last night, here it is in full: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/08 ... n-nrl-360/
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Everything Rick has said this year has impressed me. There's been no excuses. No blaming others. No bagging officials. No victim mentality. Seems to really have addressed his shortcomings, great to see.
rraided
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by rraided »

greeneyed wrote: August 27, 2019, 1:40 pm For those who missed the interview last night, here it is in full: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/08 ... n-nrl-360/
Great interview. But how friggen great was that intro video!!
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

His best interview by a country mile. We’ve gone from blaming, to owning. That’s quite a change
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: August 27, 2019, 10:14 am I like his comments on BJ's brainfarts. "Joey has to fix that, I can't.". Puts it back on the player to take ownership of the problem.
Yeah i thought the same thing... and more than just putting the onus back on the player, it's putting the responsibilty and accountability to his team mates back on the player. Really well handled.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Great interview by Ricky. And nice follow up by Crawley for us last night in his 'Beef of the Week'.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I think Ricky's public persona change has been great in the past couple of years. No longer a whinging refs faulter. He makes measured comments. He praises those that deserve it, call out BS in a PC manner - ie BJs - and discusses the contentious rather than rants. Its good for him, his players and the club.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He's only really changed this year. It has been very deliberate after the off season review IMO. If anyone criticises the refereeing standards or decisions in public, it is never the club, always a journalist... who may or may not have spoken to the club!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

It's obvious Ricky has seen a psychologist.

The turnaround in mentality is too dramatic.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Northern Raider wrote: August 27, 2019, 10:14 am I like his comments on BJ's brainfarts. "Joey has to fix that, I can't.". Puts it back on the player to take ownership of the problem.
I reckon the comment reinforces the view that Joey is to an extent 'uncoachable'. BJ does not seem able to focus on the needs of the team for 80 minutes. He always wants to prove he is the 'tough' no nonsense player. Well knees in the back don't make a player tough. They let down the team on the field and the Club. He doesn't appear able to contain his actions. From those shoulder charges in his first year with the Raiders to his knees now. He is a loose cannon.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

dubby wrote: August 28, 2019, 5:09 pm It's obvious Ricky has seen a psychologist.

The turnaround in mentality is too dramatic.

He finally brought one in on a periodic basis o work with the group (+ coaches I imagine) after the last review didn't he?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Yeah he did. And it's obvious he's taken on board some psychology.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

RedRaider wrote: August 29, 2019, 9:28 pm
I reckon the comment reinforces the view that Joey is to an extent 'uncoachable'. BJ does not seem able to focus on the needs of the team for 80 minutes. He always wants to prove he is the 'tough' no nonsense player. Well knees in the back don't make a player tough. They let down the team on the field and the Club. He doesn't appear able to contain his actions. From those shoulder charges in his first year with the Raiders to his knees now. He is a loose cannon.
It's nothing more than a comment on something not completely in the coaches control with every player. Not every action on the field can be hand guided. Some of it requires personal responsibility.
We've seen long stretches of BJ behaving and taking on that responsibility. That comes off the back of work done by himself and the coaching staff. He hasn't played the best football of his career by accident.
GreenGuy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by GreenGuy »

Jarrod Croker appearing on NRL 360 tonight.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

GreenGuy wrote: September 2, 2019, 7:25 pm Jarrod Croker appearing on NRL 360 tonight.
Always a pleasure to watch JC. He just makes you proud every time he speaks to the media.
He is just a great inspirational leader and I really hope he gets to cap his career with a GF win. He deserves it.
GreenGuy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by GreenGuy »

GreenMachine wrote: September 3, 2019, 10:04 am
GreenGuy wrote: September 2, 2019, 7:25 pm Jarrod Croker appearing on NRL 360 tonight.
Always a pleasure to watch JC. He just makes you proud every time he speaks to the media.
He is just a great inspirational leader and I really hope he gets to cap his career with a GF win. He deserves it.
The massive rap Ben Ikin gave him after the interview was spot on. He'll go down as a club legend and a premiership would be nothing less than he deserves.