Joey Leilua

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Joey Leilua

Post by Botman »

If we want to win a comp, we need to bet on BJ.
And maybe he does something dumb that costs us the game, or maybe he does something only he can do and wins us a game

That's the deal with Beej, has been for years, will be for his entire career. I think he's given us way more than he's taken and ill bet on Beej every day of the week and twice on GF sunday.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

-PJ- wrote:No.
I love a good BJ.
I'm nothing without a good BJ.
BJ is good.
Long live the BJ.
BJs for all my friends.
BJ is at his best when the D is strong.
If the D is weak inside him, BJ doesn’t perform
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

edwahu wrote: August 25, 2019, 8:14 pm Let's go from the top on the GH sacked calls

CNK - safe
Rapana - sent to the old folks home
BJ - sacked
Toots - sacked
Cotric - dropped, not sacked yet
Jack - was sacked last year
Sezer - gone
Papa - was let go last year for been out of form for a bit
Hodgo - mediocre hooker, worse than McInnes, needs to go
Sia - in the old folks home with Rapa
Whitehead - apparently past it, let's let him walk next year
Bateman - safe
Tapine - liability, worth shopping
-------
Simo - Safe
Lui - sacked for that time he dropped the footy
Horse - should never be picked again
Sutton - safe so far
Add CNK to the sack list. Don't trust him with that new haircut.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

edwahu wrote: August 25, 2019, 8:14 pm Let's go from the top on the GH sacked calls

CNK - safe
BJ - sacked
Toots - sacked
Sezer - gone
Bateman - safe
-------
Simo - Safe
Sutton - safe so far
Fair point- Bateman was quiet today... hmmm :roflmao
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

PigRickman wrote: August 25, 2019, 8:20 pm If we want to win a comp, we need to bet on BJ.
And maybe he does something dumb that costs us the game, or maybe he does something only he can do and wins us a game

That's the deal with Beej, has been for years, will be for his entire career. I think he's given us way more than he's taken and ill bet on Beej every day of the week and twice on GF sunday.
Agree. He will not change. Every man and his dog knows what you get with BJ - it's not a surprise.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

PigRickman wrote:If we want to win a comp, we need to bet on BJ.
This was certainly true with our 2016 team. With a little more depth in the backs at the moment I’m not convinced it’s true in 2019.

I think this team sans BJ can still win a GF
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gangrenous wrote: August 25, 2019, 8:38 pm
This was certainly true with our 2016 team. With a little more depth in the backs at the moment I’m not convinced it’s true in 2019.

I think this team sans BJ has better odds of winning the GF
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It can, but we're removing one of our real weapons. BJ can dominate a game, he can be a CC medalist. He's the best centre in the game when he's at his best. Unstoppable. I dont care who you put there, he's better than them

I bet on upside.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

PigRickman wrote: August 25, 2019, 8:44 pm

It can, but we're removing one of our real weapons. BJ can dominate a game, he can be a CC medalist. He's the best centre in the game when he's at his best. Unstoppable. I dont care who you put there, he's better than them

I bet on upside.
Upside is good but you need to manage your risks and we have a few. BJ has risks, Tarps has brain explosions in him, Croker has a bad defensive read at times, Cotric is out of form on the wing and there is a handling error or two in a few of our young forwards. We can’t mitigate all those risks and have to bank on some not eventuating but there are a few there. I think moving Cotric to centre and Simmonsen to wing at the expense of BJ removes a big chunk of risk, and hopefully creates upside with Cotric and Simo.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I bet on upside.
With you on this one piggles. Even in this game where we have one last shot at the win. The guy you give the ball to is BJ. Wish we'd gone to him today in that last set.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: August 25, 2019, 9:02 pm

I bet on upside.
With you on this one piggles. Even in this game where we have one last shot at the win. The guy you give the ball to is BJ. Wish we'd gone to him today in that last set.
You two sound like you’re married to Jake the Muss - sure he does nice things sometimes but he’s going to hurt you in the long run!
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Oof.

He'll get 2 weeks we really didn't need the disruption for.

Might be worth Ricky bringing in a right centre (Kris, Oldy, Simo, I don't care) just to keep Cotric steady and give him a shot to settle into the season.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BadnMean wrote: August 25, 2019, 9:15 pm Oof.

He'll get 2 weeks we really didn't need the disruption for.

Might be worth Ricky bringing in a right centre (Kris, Oldy, Simo, I don't care) just to keep Cotric steady and give him a shot to settle into the season.
If he does get 2 weeks then this would make sense. Give Cotric time to settle back into that left wing spot in prep for finals.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: August 25, 2019, 9:14 pm
Northern Raider wrote: August 25, 2019, 9:02 pm

I bet on upside.
You two sound like you’re married to Jake the Muss - sure he does nice things sometimes but he’s going to hurt you in the long run!
Other way round. You accept a few lumps knowing he can win you a game when you need him.

He's been very steady this year right up till his injury. Think he's wound up a bit tight mentally with that time off. I expect him to get charged and a week or 2 off might make him refocus and be more settled when he returns.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

NR if he does get 2 weeks and our plan B whether it’s Cotric, Oldfield, Kris or whatever is killing it are you rushing BJ straight back in? He’s been out a long time, looks heavy and is short of a run. If plan B works well it becomes plan A for me.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: August 25, 2019, 9:35 pm NR if he does get 2 weeks and our plan B whether it’s Cotric, Oldfield, Kris or whatever is killing it are you rushing BJ straight back in? He’s been out a long time, looks heavy and is short of a run. If plan B works well it becomes plan A for me.
Depends on defenition of "killing it". I'm not seeing any of those options being much more than solid. If Oldy or Kris suddenly look like superstars against bottom 8 teams do we immediately overlook that they've only been fringe 1st graders for several years.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: August 25, 2019, 9:40 pm
Billy Walker wrote: August 25, 2019, 9:35 pm NR if he does get 2 weeks and our plan B whether it’s Cotric, Oldfield, Kris or whatever is killing it are you rushing BJ straight back in? He’s been out a long time, looks heavy and is short of a run. If plan B works well it becomes plan A for me.
Depends on defenition of "killing it". I'm not seeing any of those options being much more than solid. If Oldy or Kris suddenly look like superstars against bottom 8 teams do we immediately overlook that they've only been fringe 1st graders for several years.
I think Cotric will get the 4 jumper. He’s looking poor on the wing so if he does find good form at centre it could be a double win
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: August 25, 2019, 9:45 pm
I think Cotric will get the 4 jumper. He’s looking poor on the wing so if he does find good form at centre it could be a double win
His games at centre were fair to good. Would need to do a lot more than his previous efforts there to consider leaving BJ out at finals time.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: August 25, 2019, 9:46 pm
His games at centre were fair to good. Would need to do a lot more than his previous efforts there to consider leaving BJ out at finals time.
Be interesting to see what happens - at the end of the day we were not far off getting the points, we’re still 3rd and sitting pretty. I’ll let Ricky make these calls but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: August 25, 2019, 9:50 pm
Be interesting to see what happens - at the end of the day we were not far off getting the points, we’re still 3rd and sitting pretty. I’ll let Ricky make these calls but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
If refs blow the whistle for offside like they should then none of this is even a conversation.

If it sounds like I'm still bitter about that non-call it's because I am.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: August 25, 2019, 9:52 pm
Billy Walker wrote: August 25, 2019, 9:50 pm
If refs blow the whistle for offside like they should then none of this is even a conversation.

If it sounds like I'm still bitter about that non-call it's because I am.
I’m not one to complain about refs calls but it was crook. I’m comfortable that Wighton scored as well. BJ was bad today and I guess we need something to talk about. It will be interesting to see if he gets a fine or a suspension. Would each incident be considered in isolation or does the fact he dropped knees a couple of times count against him?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

edwahu wrote:Let's go from the top on the GH sacked calls

CNK - safe
BJ - sacked
Toots - sacked
Sezer - gone
Bateman - safe
-------
Simo - Safe
Sutton - safe so far
Nah dubby wanted CNK and Simmo sacked after one game.. that we won

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

So Bateman will be the only player retained for 2020.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: August 25, 2019, 10:15 pm So Bateman will be the only player retained for 2020.
He was pretty quiet against Manly - maybe sharpen a knife in case :lol:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: August 25, 2019, 10:15 pm So Bateman will be the only player retained for 2020.
Yes..

And we'd still beat the Titans...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Joey can still win you a game, I never forget that Broncos game earlier this year.
The team did look good though when we had Cotric at Right Centre and Bailey on the Right Wing.
Cotric has dropped in form since moving back to the wing.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

It's projector time.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Brew wrote: August 26, 2019, 7:49 am Joey can still win you a game, I never forget that Broncos game earlier this year.
The team did look good though when we had Cotric at Right Centre and Bailey on the Right Wing.

This might be controversial, but I think Cotric has dropped form all year. I thought he got the Origin jumper based off 2018. He hasnt looked as damaging on the wing all year, and while he did start looking good at centre, it still didnt match what we had come to expect from him on the wing in 2018.

Im close to putting Bailey in his wing spot and letting him and BJ fight out the centre spot for the finals.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I bet on upside.
Latrell?
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

A day later and I’m still pissed.
Now he’ll cop 2 weeks and we effectively are where we were without him.
Don’t underestimate the impact this has on the remainder of our season.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Coastalraider wrote: August 26, 2019, 1:02 pm
Brew wrote: August 26, 2019, 7:49 am Joey can still win you a game, I never forget that Broncos game earlier this year.

This might be controversial, but I think Cotric has dropped form all year. I thought he got the Origin jumper based off 2018. He hasnt looked as damaging on the wing all year, and while he did start looking good at centre, it still didnt match what we had come to expect from him on the wing in 2018.

Im close to putting Bailey in his wing spot and letting him and BJ fight out the centre spot for the finals.
No arguments from me. That’s what I was getting at when I started the thread about picking on form. Both BJ and Cotric have been better players than Simmonsen has and will likely end their careers better players than him but right now on form I wouldn’t have a problem with what you suggest.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Ha! Every time. If you don't think we're a better side with having BJ at his best in our side well....nothing I say can help you out. I actually thought he showed a lot of promising signs, few good runs and the offload returned. Obviously his brain fade was dumb and inexcusable but let's not get carried away now. People have short memories, he beat the Broncos on his own earlier in the year.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Don’t meddle with a winning team. Stupid decision adding him at a critical point in our season
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Re: Get rid of BJ

Post by Kryptonite »

GreenMachine wrote: August 25, 2019, 6:26 pm I honestly would. I’d upgrade CNK and give Cotric a full offseason at centre.

We can’t carry BJ and Tapine and is rather keep Tapine.
Yep, Bj going all 2017 again and Tarps brainless selfish idiocy, piss them both of and upgrade CNK and Simonsson
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: August 26, 2019, 1:30 pm

I bet on upside.
Latrell?
Close, but i think Beej's best game on tape to date is a more dominant and complete game to Mitchell's best game so far.
Mind you Latrell has barely scratched the surface on what he's capable of