All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Ricky Stuart re-signs as coach of the Canberra Raiders until end of 2023

Post by Brew »

Ricky’s Raiders reward to be contract extension

Ricky Stuart went into this season as one of the NRL’s coaches the most under pressure.

But the passionate Canberra coach is set to be rewarded for his club’s stunning revival with a new two year contract extension that will keep him at the Raiders to the end of 2022. A new deal is expected to be announced before the playoffs.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... c1df097dc1

Canberra Raiders ramp up contract talks with Ricky Stuart

The "battle-ready" Canberra Raiders will ramp up contract talks with coach Ricky Stuart this year, adamant the Green Machine's leader can juggle negotiations and a finals campaign.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

A year ago people would be losing their minds, but how times have changed.
In Ricky We Trust
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Raiders To Extend Ricky Stuart

Post by -TW- »

Why can't he have 2 good years before he's extended.. he's not going anywhere

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

This is the last coaching job Sticky will ever have. There’s no reason to jump the gun on an extension.

Everyone wants job security obviously so I can see why he’d be in discussions with them, but no need to pull the trigger or announce it so early.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I'm still losing my mind. These things need to be viewed in totality and overall his record here hasn't been great - I'd much rather see how this year pans out before making an offer to extend the contract.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Canberra Raiders set to extend Ricky Stuart’s contract to end 2022

Post by LastRaider »

Here we go, 2016 all over again!!! Let’s give everyone extensions, pay them more than they are worth and **** ourselves again if they don’t perform next year for another 3 years! Classic Raiders thing to do
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Canberra Raiders set to extend Ricky Stuart’s contract to end 2022

Post by zim »

I'm confident we'll not repeat 2017 but there is no reason to do this. He doesn't want to go anywhere and we have a squad locked in. It's not like we're rebuilding and incoming players need to see stability.
Let the first 8 rounds play out.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

I with everybody else on this there is no need for the Raiders to do this now. I want consistent high performance not a good 8 weeks here and there. If we finish this year well and are in the top 4 after a couple of months then lets start talks.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I said in the preseason that given where we are in the Stuart era, this squad should contender and be a top 4 team.
And that unless we are, we should be moving on, and if we are, then you just extend him short term and see how this second iteration goes.

So given where we are right now, i've got no issues with an extension to 2022. It's basically 2 years on top of the deal now that ends in 2020. You certainly wont sack him this year, regardless of what happens now. So he's here in 2020. So now you're just dealing with a 2 year deal... if we stink, we stink, we move him off to the front office then.

This is perfectly fine imo
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He would have been coach for nine years by the end of the contract, which equals Tim Sheens. Hopefully by the end of 2022 we have at least three extra premierships too! :) ;)

I agree with Nick's view.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I think it’s a good move. He’s doing good stuff.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yeah I agree with Pigman, it's a great move.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I’m happy with this. Deserves all the credit in the world for turning it around this season in the fashion that he’s has

And I proudly say that as one of his most outspoken critics for the last half of 2018
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Although now that Azza thinks it’s a good idea, I’m torn
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I only think it's a good idea because muppetpigman thinks it's a good idea.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Given hes had such a big influence in bringing our poms over and keeping them happy, extending sticky makes a whole lot of sense. Watch the whitehead and bateman extensions fall over the line in quick succession
Dont delete this GE
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

So if we are 8 rounds into 2020 and it’s looking a lot like 2017 again what then?

There is absolutely no logical or commercial reason to extend Stuart right now. Wait until the middle of next year...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

My initial thoughts are why extend now? Lets see how we back up from this year first.

Thinking further I believe the club needs to act soon to solidify the coaching position now for recruitment and retention purposes. We have a number of players coming off contract next year and the situation where they get negotiated 12 months in advanced you're almost compelled to have a coach in place for the following year at least. 2 years on top of what Sticky currently has isn't that big a stretch.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

LastRaider wrote:So if we are 8 rounds into 2020 and it’s looking a lot like 2017 again what then?

There is absolutely no logical or commercial reason to extend Stuart right now. Wait until the middle of next year...
Then bring on 2022 where will be up there again! And then the cycle continues

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm on board because Azza is.

Azzas on board because muppetpigman is.

There's no worries here..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Ezy
Brett Mullins

Post by Ezy »

We've got a fair few players coming off contract in 2020. I think it's a good idea to secure the coach before other clubs get their dirty mitts on them.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

-PJ- wrote: August 22, 2019, 2:06 pm I'm on board because Azza is.

Well, I thought that was true until Rickman was on-board. Now I'm pretty worried.

Eagles by 40.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: August 22, 2019, 2:14 pm
-PJ- wrote: August 22, 2019, 2:06 pm I'm on board because Azza is.

Well, I thought that was true until Rickman was on-board. Now I'm pretty worried.

Eagles by 40.
Now you're all completely befuddled. The safest position is to disagree with Pigman. That way on averages you have around 70% change of being right.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

LastRaider wrote: August 22, 2019, 1:24 pm So if we are 8 rounds into 2020 and it’s looking a lot like 2017 again what then?

If we go into the tank in 2020, then most fans, including those who dont like him would have to say "2019 was great, 2020 was terrible. He's got to perform in 2021 otherwise we move on"

and at that point, you're talking about moving on from a coach with 1 year left on deal at the end of 2021... Which is perfectly fine, especially since Stuart moving on, wont be like most clubs where he's sacked and a payout is required. He'll likely stay on the same salary and his duty statement will change to suit the office role he takes on.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I agree with everything PigNick snorted.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Roger Kenworthy wrote: August 22, 2019, 3:12 pm I agree with everything PigNick snorted.
Me too. A risky positiont to take.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Northern Raider wrote: August 22, 2019, 1:40 pm My initial thoughts are why extend now? Lets see how we back up from this year first.

Thinking further I believe the club needs to act soon to solidify the coaching position now for recruitment and retention purposes. We have a number of players coming off contract next year and the situation where they get negotiated 12 months in advanced you're almost compelled to have a coach in place for the following year at least. 2 years on top of what Sticky currently has isn't that big a stretch.
Yep, agree with this, NR.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

While I'm happy with this, I would have preferred this become a conversation in 12 months time.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Ricky’s performing well at the moment. He’s getting the best out of the players. The players like him and he’s pulled the right strings to get the players to lift their games when required. Seems a good coaching team at the moment, with people working to their strengths and improving their skills.

I’m sure Papalli didn’t appreciate being dropped last year, but Josh responded perfectly to the situation, he’s taken his performances to another level and both player and coach deserve credit for his recent form.

Examples like this mean I support a two year extension.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

This year Sticky demonstrated the ability to reboot his throught process if things weren't working. It turned out for the best this year and hoping he can keep us in the top half of the league at least a couple more years.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I wonder if other clubs are sniffing around? I don't think we should be so hasty but there are some godawful coaches in the comp, ours is pretty good so probably makes sense to extend.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

gergreg wrote: August 22, 2019, 5:27 pm I wonder if other clubs are sniffing around? I don't think we should be so hasty but there are some godawful coaches in the comp, ours is pretty good so probably makes sense to extend.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
You would have never caught me saying this in the preseason but I think it's a good move to extend now at a time when there are 3 or 4 NRL head coaches who aren't safe in their current positions... he will probably be more sought after in the coming months/weeks which may have forced us to fork out extra money
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Let's be honest, the bloke is here as long as he wants to be. The only way he's stepping down from that job is if the club creates a high performance style position for him to transition into a management role. The board clearly loves him.

He desperately wants to coach us to a premiership and until he does that, or dies trying, I reckon he has the job.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

One clear reason to extend now is stability and ability to retain players. As Nick said, the most recent English recruits are more likely to extend/renew contracts with him in charge and the same goes for younger players like CNK who've been given a go.

These days it is a rarity for coaches to see out their contracts... so I don't see it as a huge issue if things later go awry.

The club is performing well this year, well above expectations, and that has been driven by changes the coach has made, including how he operates. What Ricky has done has been very impressive.

I can really only see upsides.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Azza wrote:I only think it's a good idea because muppetpigman thinks it's a good idea.
I prefer pigmuppet myself.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

LastRaider wrote: August 22, 2019, 1:24 pm So if we are 8 rounds into 2020 and it’s looking a lot like 2017 again what then?

I agree with you Last Raider. Making the 8 this year will mean 2 from 6 seasons. That is not a strong negotiating position for a coach.

We jumped the gun with the last coaching extension and it brought 2 seasons of misery. This year we at last have the defensive focus that has been talked about for the previous 5 years but never executed well. I want to see some year on year positive consistency so we don't have another 'coaching Bronson Harrison' as happened in 2017/18. Hodgo, HorsPower, Papa, J. Bateman, Tapine, Lui, Guler, Young are all locked in beyond 2020. The forwards look strong. I would look at extending the likes of CNK, Jack, Rapa, NC, JC, BS, EW and Havili before looking at the coach. That means if agreement cannot be reached then the roster is strong no matter who is coach.