If you were the next head of Australian Rugby League?

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Reports suggesting Peter Beatie will be replaced by Peter V’landys as chairman of the ARLC.

V’landys has done an outstanding job keeping NSW racing relevant in the face of growing competition and welfare concerns.

What are the 3 biggest issues/challenges in Rugby League that you’d be addressing?
BJ
Steve Walters

Re: If you were the next Head of Australian Rugby League?

Post by BJ »

I’ve said it for years. Better free to air Tv coverage into regional markets.

Knights, Cowboys, Titans, Storm, Raiders etc should have their away games shown on a secondary free to air channel such as GEM. (Even on 30 minute delay would be acceptable).

AFL shows every single GWS game on free to air into Canberra. It’s working to grow their market and supporter base for GWS in Canberra region.

Rugby league will not grow its game by not connecting with potential new fans. It’s crazy that a young Raiders fan from a working class area like Tuggeranong (poorer families without Foxtel) has averaged about 2 free to air games a season for the last two decades. As at a few years ago, Broncos had more free to air games in that one season than the Raiders had in the previous 13.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

If you were the next Head of Australian Rugby League?

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Oh boy, so you’re asking me about the Fuiverse?

1. I can combine two challenges into one. Length of the NRL season and weak international game. I’d fix this by amending the draw, splitting the comp into 4 conferences. Use the space created by decreasing the NRL comp to improve the international game

2. Saturation of Sydney clubs. I’ve mentioned this in another thread, but I would go
Manly: Move or die (Preferably to Central Coast)
Tigers: Move or die
Dragons: Move permanently to Wollongong
Cronulla: Move or die
Bulldogs: Expands area to include Tigers territory
Souths: Expands area to include Cronulla territory
Roosters: Expands area to include Manlys territory
Panthers and Parra to either merge or one of them relocate. Preference would be for them to merge and create a powerhouse West Sydney team.

Depending on who’s moving and who’s dying will also help with relocation vs expansion prospects.

3. Making the GF more of a spectacle. Let’s have a GF week, with a massive “All Star week” festival out of it. I like PigRickMan’s 9’s idea, so I’m stealing that as one of the highlights. Throw in fastest player tournaments, Goal kicking shootouts, NRL Rookies vs Under 20’s All Star games, NSW Cup Champs vs Qld Cup champs (Already done, I know), music, fan sessions, Props Pentathlon, the works. I think Homebush would be the best place to run this, because it has so many other fields and open areas around the place.

Then there’s the other issues like refereeing, tougher stances on off field behaviour etc that need to be fleshed out, but I’m a breads and circuses kind of Head Of.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

BJ wrote: August 21, 2019, 10:02 am I’ve said it for years. Better free to air Tv coverage into regional markets.

Knights, Cowboys, Titans, Storm, Raiders etc should have their away games shown on a secondary free to air channel such as GEM. (Even on 30 minute delay would be acceptable).

AFL shows every single GWS game on free to air into Canberra. It’s working to grow their market and supporter base for GWS in Canberra region.

Rugby league will not grow its game by not connecting with potential new fans. It’s crazy that a young Raiders fan from a working class area like Tuggeranong (poorer families without Foxtel) has averaged about 2 free to air games a season for the last two decades. As at a few years ago, Broncos had more free to air games in that one season than the Raiders had in the previous 13.
I agree that all games should be televised live on FTA. That should be standard. I thought this was the end goal of the extra channels, I remember One being touted as a channel to cover sports 10 have the rights to, but didn't air.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I don’t think the free to air thing is as much a problem these days. Kayo is pretty bloody cheap and I think surely the game is more interested in reaching the younger generation rather than keeping those 40+ most of whom are rusted on as fans anyway.

Free to air games do need a bigger mix of clubs thought not the old snooze fest of Brisbane, Tigers, Souths and Bulldogs all year over and over.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Agree with the improved FTA coverage. Needs somebody better at negotiating with the TV execs for the benefit of rugby league rather than being dictated to by them.

My 2 biggest issues I think need addressing immediately are:
1) salary cap transparency
2) set trade/contract periods
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: If you were the next head of Australian Rugby League?

Post by greeneyed »

First thing I would do is learn the names of all the teams and where they come from - and what jerseys and colours they wear.

Then I'd learn how to pronounce Giltinan.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: August 21, 2019, 11:21 am Agree with the improved FTA coverage. Needs somebody better at negotiating with the TV execs for the benefit of rugby league rather than being dictated to by them.

Seriously, the first thing I'd do is ensure that the clubs are treated more equally in terms of salary cap and FTA television coverage.

TPAs would be wound into the salary cap, and incentives would only exist for junior development and player loyalty. Transparency and contract/trade windows would be the next step.

I'd like to think we could get more even FTA TV coverage across the nation, but I'm happy with at least giving regional areas FTA coverage of their local teams.

Junior development and grass roots are the next priority, though the ARLC is taking some good recent steps here.

TV broadcast deal... needs expansion teams in Brisbane and Perth. I'd open up bids for existing teams and other consortiums, but with incentives given for existing teams to relocate. No forced relocations. But also no bail outs for teams in Sydney that refuse to relocate.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

greeneyed wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: August 21, 2019, 11:21 am Agree with the improved FTA coverage. Needs somebody better at negotiating with the TV execs for the benefit of rugby league rather than being dictated to by them.

Seriously, the first thing I'd do is ensure that the clubs are treated more equally in terms of salary cap and FTA television coverage.

TPAs would be wound into the salary cap, and incentives would only exist for junior development and player loyalty. Transparency and contract/trade windows would be the next step.

I'd like to think we could get more even FTA TV coverage across the nation, but I'm happy with at least giving regional areas FTA coverage of their local teams.

Junior development and grass roots are the next priority, though the ARLC is taking some good recent steps here.

TV broadcast deal... needs expansion teams in Brisbane and Perth. I'd open up bids for existing teams and other consortiums, but with incentives given for existing teams to relocate. No forced relocations. But also no bail outs for teams in Sydney that refuse to relocate.
TPA’s need reform but will never be bought into the salary cap. If Nike or a large brand approaches you to be an ambassador you can’t withhold a players ability to earn extra income if their package doesn’t come under a cap limit.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

BJ wrote:I’ve said it for years. Better free to air Tv coverage into regional markets.

The GWS into Canberra thing this is an offset of Prime taking the 7 feed from Sydney.

But otherwise it's a valid point, weren't all Raiders games in the 80s and 90s shown at 10.30 at night or something? Why can't it be done now..

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

LastRaider wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

TPA’s need reform but will never be bought into the salary cap. If Nike or a large brand approaches you to be an ambassador you can’t withhold a players ability to earn extra income if their package doesn’t come under a cap limit.
Actually the law says you can make such payments subject to the cap. Absolutely legal. Up to the club as to how to manage that. If we don’t do it, we just continue to have a $1m hole in the cap and uneven spread of talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I've been reading about a Salary Cap system that I've found quite interesting. Not too sure what code it's come from, but I saw it pitched on an F1 forum discussing their proposed Cost Cap.

Essentially the idea would be the NRL has a "Soft Cap", so let's say $10m. If clubs wish to spend more than $10m, they can, but they would need to pay a form of "Cap tax". Say for argument's sake:
Up to and including $1m = 10%
$1m - $2m = 20%
$2m - $3m = 30%
$4m - $5m = 40%
$5m and over = 50%

So if the Roosters wanted to spend $12m on their cap, they're allowed to, but they would have to pay the NRL a $400,000 cap tax. In my head, I would pick a soft cap that includes TPA's and things that are unclear now. That $400,000 could then be used by the NRL for whatever they felt required, junior development, making up the deficit of a low rating Club playing on FTA, sharing amongst teams that are struggling... Im leaning towards junior development and building the Womens league.

Then for complete transparency, management of funds and club caps are done by the NRL. Clubs would send the NRL their proposed contracts, value, TPA's etc and the NRL would sign off on it and keep record in a central club register.

It's also a x2 for a Transfer Window. One during the off season, and one mid season.

Nickman's love of NSW
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I’m sure I’m not the only one here who is sick to DEATH of hearing about the **** Fuiverse
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

The Rickman wrote: August 21, 2019, 2:26 pm I’m sure I’m not the only one here who is sick to DEATH of hearing about the **** Fuiverse
For the love of Rugby League, can you please just leave the bs somewhere else.

If you’ve got anything of value worth contributing, post that instead.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

greeneyed wrote: August 21, 2019, 11:34 am First thing I would do is learn the names of all the teams and where they come from - and what jerseys and colours they wear.

Then I'd learn how to pronounce Giltinan.
The way Beatie pronounced it, is exactly where they should put his contract.

I love the idea of the Grand Final WEEK. Kids would go absolutely nuts over that. The Easter show on steroids for footy fans. Correct me if I’m wrong, but is the grand final usually held at the beginning of school holidays? Because obviously grand final WEEK would suit a holiday week much better.

Grass roots investments are imperative. I know the decline of my local club has come off the back reduced funding from the NRL. AFL is now the dominant sport in the area and I’m in Sydney!

The coverage of NRL has to improve not only from a distribution point of view but the quality of the product. The way Gould absolutely blasts the NRL at every opportunity, simply has to stop. Imagine being an emerging fan and having a Rugby League legend constantly tell you how **** today’s footy is.

Kerry Packer wouldn’t have stood for it, it has gone way too far beyond just simply critiquing performances.

There needs to be some standards set there, that would exclude blokes like Justin Hodges or Kev Walters from commentating on Live games.

How many years are these guys spending learning their craft as sporting presenters ? Why isn’t audience feedback taken seriously? This needs to be addressed as part of broadcasting rights deals.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

yeh raiders wrote: The coverage of NRL has to improve not only from a distribution point of view but the quality of the product. The way Gould absolutely blasts the NRL at every opportunity, simply has to stop. Imagine being an emerging fan and having a Rugby League legend constantly tell you how **** today’s footy is.

Kerry Packer wouldn’t have stood for it, it has gone way too far beyond just simply critiquing performances.

There needs to be some standards set there, that would exclude blokes like Justin Hodges or Kev Walters from commentating on Live games.

How many years are these guys spending learning their craft as sporting presenters ? Why isn’t audience feedback taken seriously? This needs to be addressed as part of broadcasting rights deals.
Hear hear
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think the key issues that need to be addressed are:

1) Saturation of sydney market/expansion into Brisbane 2nd team and Perth
2) The salary cap transparency and how to fix the current loop holes in the cap
3) Grassroots footy, the structure of it, and how the pathways lead to the NRL... with the aim being to realign them and make it so that a NRL draft can be implemented.

I would realign the NRL to include region/rivarly based divisions, to help with scheduling and create event based scheduling... I could go into great depth
Last edited by Botman on August 21, 2019, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote: TPAs would be wound into the salary cap, and incentives would only exist for junior development and player loyalty. Transparency and contract/trade windows would be the next step.
How are you going to balance the competing forces of loyalty discounts and a functional salary cap?

Discounts proportional to average ladder position for last few years? (i.e. mainly encouraging players to stick with poorer performing teams that want them)
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Did I miss it or have we got this far into the thread without the judiciary system and refs being mentioned?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

In no particular order:

Salary cap and TPA transparency

Review and overhaul the MRC and Judicial process

Grassroots footy needs better funding and development.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

An important point to consider for this thread. How much involvement does the ARLC have in the operational side of the NRL? Things like salary cap (inc TPA's), trade periods, the Judiciary etc would all be handled by the NRL executive. Does the ARLC dictiate to them or do they operate autonomously within their charter? In other words is it Greenberg and his team that make the decisions and take responsibility for those aspects?

My thoughts are that the ARLC looks after the broader aspects such as junior development, expansion, TV rights, rep footy etc.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: August 21, 2019, 3:24 pm
greeneyed wrote: TPAs would be wound into the salary cap, and incentives would only exist for junior development and player loyalty. Transparency and contract/trade windows would be the next step.
How are you going to balance the competing forces of loyalty discounts and a functional salary cap?

Discounts proportional to average ladder position for last few years? (i.e. mainly encouraging players to stick with poorer performing teams that want them)
I'd basically retain the existing loyalty discounts for long serving players.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: August 21, 2019, 3:43 pm An important point to consider for this thread. How much involvement does the ARLC have in the operational side of the NRL? Things like salary cap (inc TPA's), trade periods, the Judiciary etc would all be handled by the NRL executive. Does the ARLC dictiate to them or do they operate autonomously within their charter? In other words is it Greenberg and his team that make the decisions and take responsibility for those aspects?

My thoughts are that the ARLC looks after the broader aspects such as junior development, expansion, TV rights, rep footy etc.
All of those things that are major matters of policy that the ARLC would rightly expect are brought to the Commission by the CEO.

And for the other poster who asked... yes, fixing the MRC and judiciary are in the top five things to do.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

gangrenous wrote:Did I miss it or have we got this far into the thread without the judiciary system and refs being mentioned?
I had them as a post script. I think they need to be fixed, but I have them as more of a “Let’s get some people together and hash this thing out” kind of approach, rather than a major thing to focus on.

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

PigRickman wrote:I think the key issues that need to be addressed are:

1) Saturation of sydney market/expansion into Brisbane 2nd team and Perth
2) The salary cap transparency and how to fix the current loop holes in the cap
3) Grassroots footy, the structure of it, and how the pathways lead to the NRL... with the aim being to realign them and make it so that a NRL draft can be implemented.

I would realign the NRL to include region/rivarly based divisions, to help with scheduling and create event based scheduling... I could go into great depth
Sounds like the PigRickmanosphere and the Fuiverse are similar then!

Nickman's love of NSW
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 21, 2019, 4:15 pm
gangrenous wrote:Did I miss it or have we got this far into the thread without the judiciary system and refs being mentioned?
I had them as a post script. I think they need to be fixed, but I have them as more of a “Let’s get some people together and hash this thing out” kind of approach, rather than a major thing to focus on.
No question we need improvement from the refs and judiciary. I don't think thats a job for the new ARLC chairman.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

First thing. Call Todd **** Greenberg into my office and tell him that Consistency is not overrated and getting consistency across all facets of the game is your priority and if there's no improvement you're fired.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Actually, yes. First thing just be sacking Todd G.
gergreg wrote:First thing. Call Todd **** Greenberg into my office and tell him that Consistency is not overrated and getting consistency across all facets of the game is your priority and if there's no improvement you're fired.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

I'd bring back segments, and on grand final week have a battle between mascots.

Also, I would have more competitions catching footballs in milk crates .
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Free tickets to anyone under 18. You can purchase your free tickets only on game day provided sales are under 80%.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Free tickets seriously devalue your product. Cheap tickets for young kids with an adult sure, but Super League showed that free ticket regimes are like concrete cancer.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Make scrums competitive again!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

** Bump **

In my dream last night, signing announcements were banned during the year. Instead they had a televised event during the preseason where all the teams would announce who they’ve signed, and for how long.

Add that to the list, make a spectacle out of club signings.

Nickman's love of NSW
RaiderSpark
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Past:Mal Meninga
Present:Xavier Savage

Post by RaiderSpark »

1 thing i would change instantly is the awarding of points only for few minutes later the ref does his bunker chat n removes them, one of the best things as a fan is celebrating your team scoring tries, now its like "yeh he scored but maybe not, dont celebrate". its ridiculous
Autism Awareness - Accept Understand Love
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RaiderSpark wrote: July 4, 2022, 9:03 am 1 thing i would change instantly is the awarding of points only for few minutes later the ref does his bunker chat n removes them, one of the best things as a fan is celebrating your team scoring tries, now its like "yeh he scored but maybe not, dont celebrate". its ridiculous
Absolutely.