One on one steals

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Re: One on one steals

Post by yeh raiders »

PigRickman wrote: August 15, 2019, 8:37 am As an aside to this, do we even know how many of the strips this year have been the drop off strips?
I would guess, and it would just be a guess, that of the 70-80 strips this year, less than 15 of them would be those ones. The vast majority are just clean, straight up one on ones.
yeh raiders wrote: August 14, 2019, 10:45 pm What ? Like there’s a ball control epidemic going on! Christ ! :lol:
Do you watch games? How many times a game do you see a guy just loose possession of the footy because there is a hand around the football. The code had spent 2 decades devaluing ball security, where basically before this rule change, if you drop the ball and there is even a hand near the footy, regardless of whether someone was playing at it, it was a penalty. They've been bailing out poor ball security as a rule since the turn of the century.

And it still happens a bit this year, but been curtailed considerable. The referees are happy to call "loose carry" now.
Ball security matters, it's one of the first things they teach you as a young guy.

If a player has the football, and wants to retain possession, there is no reason why they cant, whether there is 1 person in the tackle or 50. The ball is only so big and it can really only be contested by one other player. So it's ball carrier vs one defender, and the ball carrier has the advantage of possession. If you lose the footy in the circumstance, well that's on you.
In the case of the hand-on-the-ball drops, your description of the way the refs are officiating it is spot on. However in terms of the frequency of them, I’m sure it looks a lot more prevalent when they replay the incident 4 times over.

I don’t think they’ve devalued ball security across the board, you only have to look at the number of clear knock-backs, which is are called knock-ons to see that.

Nor do I think it’s as straight forward and easy to keep hold of the ball, with the way in which defenders are gang tackling and wrestling the ball free this season.

In an era where wrestling techniques and ruck manipulation have become so important and defence is so strongly drilled, I’m happy to support offloads and quick POTB over the new stripping rule.

I’ll leave it there, let’s see how it pans out for the rest of the season.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

yeh raiders wrote: August 14, 2019, 10:45 pm
PigRickman wrote: August 14, 2019, 10:26 pm
yeh raiders wrote: August 14, 2019, 10:10 pm “"I see where Trent's coming from, but I'm still very, very confident that if I had a football in my hand and I had three blokes trying to tackle me and they drop off, that I could hold it.” - P.Sterling

Gee I’d love to see him test that theory :lol:
The roosters got stripped 4 times in our game on the weekend.
FOUR TIMES!

and then when the game was on the line and they needed to retain possesion, and the Raiders came at them to strip them, they marched us up feild 70 damn metres and iced the game. Explain to me how roosters managed to avoid being stripped of the footy when the games was on the line given they'd be exposed in that very same game as being lax about ball control?

Or dont, and ill answer.
They didnt give a **** about ball control and got their pockets pinched, and as soon as they gave a **** about ball control they retained poessesion and there was nothing we could to relieve them of it.

Isnt it about time we made offensive players give a **** about ball control
What ? Like there’s a ball control epidemic going on! Christ ! :lol:

We couldn’t manipulate the tackle for a strip in 4 or 5 attempts so that must constitute a significant shift in the Roosters ball control .. righto. If they were genuinely locking down the hatches, they wouldn’t have rolled us for 60 metres that set, essentially taking away any real chance of a raiders win.

Had we defended properly and put them under pressure, we would have actually pinned them down their end.

I think the vast majority of NRL players have very good ball control, only exceptions really being the Burgess brothers who are basically at lesbian level in that regard.

Contests for the ball, I understand where that comes from and I get it, inspite of my belief that if you relinquish possession through an error, you don’t deserve a roll of the dice or lottery to get it right back (scrum rake, line-out, short drop outs).
You might wanna check the tape Yeh Raiders, they rolled down field because we continuously dropped off tackles to be 1 on 1 trying to strip the ball. We weren't concerned about meters conceded, we needed the ball. With the fitness and strength work these guys do, 1 on 1 isnt enough to stop people if you tackle high, even more so if your not trying to actually stop the blokes momentum, but rather attacking the ball.

Also, watch the ball carrier. Its 1 out, and both hands/ arms on the ball. They locked it down.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

At least when a team needs to win back possesion they now have an opportunity to do so of their own accord, rather than just waiting and hoping for an opposition error.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

bonehead wrote: August 15, 2019, 7:40 am Talk about deflecting, Trent Robinson has classic Sticky'd and everyone ran with it. His team got done with 4 clean strips, got away with stripping the ball off Rapana in the ruck, a 50-50 bomb contest leading to a try, a fluke pass try, 2 high shots with the game on the line, wrestling and hand on the ball in every play the ball all game, stalling tactics, tactical HIA but all anyone is talking about is the stripping rule.
If Sticky did this he'd be laughed out of the presser.
Thank goodness for the voice of reason.

That's exactly why this is being talked about. The rule change is long overdue. Robinson has perfected the art of deflection.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:
bonehead wrote: August 15, 2019, 7:40 am Talk about deflecting, Trent Robinson has classic Sticky'd and everyone ran with it. His team got done with 4 clean strips, got away with stripping the ball off Rapana in the ruck, a 50-50 bomb contest leading to a try, a fluke pass try, 2 high shots with the game on the line, wrestling and hand on the ball in every play the ball all game, stalling tactics, tactical HIA but all anyone is talking about is the stripping rule.
No mention of the latest innovation to slow down the ruck, which the Roosters and Storm have employed this year - 'Tangling'. Its the art of getting caught up with the tackled player and making it look like you're trying to get out of the way without actually doing it.
This isn't new. I remember commenting on Cam Smith and the Storm perfecting this tactic several years ago.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart makes clear he doesn't want rule for one-on-one steals changed

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has made clear he doesn't want the rule for one-on-one steals changed.

"I thought it was a ridiculous comment last week about having to eliminate that rule," Stuart said. "When you can't do something it doesn't mean we have to get rid of it. Because we do it well, does that mean we've got to be punished for it?

Read more: https://www.espn.com/nrl/story/_/id/273 ... ng-tactics

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... ucf36v24pz

VIDEO: Stuart: We shouldn't get punished for something we do well: Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has hit back at suggestions to abolish the one on one strip rule. : https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/08 ... e-do-well/

"It's in the rules so we just need to be aware of it tomorrow when the sneaky No.9 comes in and wraps his arms around the ball." - Storm coach Craig Bellamy wary of Josh Hodgson: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/16/bel ... iary-jibe/
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Some more of Ricky's comments. Says it perfectly IMO.

"Because we do it well, does that mean we've got to be punished for it? Go and practice it, go and do a little bit more work on it like we do and you might get it right.

"We practice it, we know when to perform it and the boys do it very well. They shouldn't be punished for it just because some other people want to see it barred out of the game.

"It actually adds a bit of excitement to the game. Yeah OK, we get it right but we get strips against us and I haven't walked off the field and blown up and said we should get rid of the rule."
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 15, 2019, 4:15 pm

That's exactly why this is being talked about. The rule change is long overdue. Robinson has perfected the art of deflection.
1000%
Finally, people understand what was going on in the presser.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

PigRickman wrote: August 14, 2019, 7:05 am
gergreg wrote: August 13, 2019, 10:45 pm
PigRickman wrote:
gergreg wrote: August 13, 2019, 9:44 pm
greeneyed wrote:It isn't my problem if you're not astute enough to work out what Ricky was ultimately driving at.
Yeah, it's obviously two experienced coaches having a dig at the opposition's tactical strengths leading into the finals. Happens every single year about this time.

Do you have an opinion on this rule?
I think we place too much pressure on officials. And i dont think that is what we should be doing
Is this a rule that does that?
Yes

GH reaction:
Stuart loves the rule!

:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
C'mon, you're better than this. Ricky's playing a straight bat and then trying to deflect onto another area (stoppages) and not criticising the referees - in fact being sympathetic to the tough job they have - exactly as you... me... and other posters on this site have typed about - because of all the grey areas in the game.

Everybody who follows the game knows that we are currently the best at it. You know it, I know it, even blokes named Billy who know six shades of **** all about rugby league know it. So you can bet your **** that Trent Robinson and Ricky Stuart know it. Both coaches were very deliberate in how they discussed it. Trent highlighted it leading into the finals so it might be scrutinised or adjudicated slightly differently and Ricky is clever enough to not gloat about his players being the best at it (currently) so as not to draw attention to it.

You guys are actually insane
Go and read the transcript again, Greg

He is asked directly about this specific rule. And he answers directly that it is a rule that makes life harder for the officials and he doesn’t believe we should be doing that.

The fact he tries (unsuccessfully mind you) to shift the conversation at the end of his response to some of the roosters tactics doesn’t invalid the direct response he gave about this rule

What is actually wrong with you people? Haha

Reporter: do you have an opinion on the stripping rule?
Stuart: we’ve got rules that place too much pressure on the officials
Reporter: is the stripping rule one of them
Stuart: yes. We’re making it too hard for the referees. We need to make it easier on them, not harder.

The GH: Stuart wasn’t talking about the stripping rule

:roflmao
Good grief
This aged poorly :roflmao
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

GreenMachine wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: August 15, 2019, 4:15 pm

1000%
Finally, people understand what was going on in the presser.
By people you mean Pigman right? I think he is the only one with an agenda against people he thinks have an agenda.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Given pigman has never admitted error in history this should be interesting...
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:Given pigman has never admitted error in history this should be interesting...
Well not since the last time, anyway.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

When was the last time he admitted he was wrong?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gangrenous wrote: August 16, 2019, 7:00 pm When was the last time he admitted he was wrong?
The Cotric spear tackle thread - he made a big claim about it being in the top 10 worst tackles of all time or something and then got taken through a long a humourous process to be shown he was wrong before he folded and acknowledged he was wrong. It was uncomfortable for all involved :roflmao
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'Ridiculous': Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart tells rivals to get better not bitter over one-one-one steal rule

Ricky Stuart has a message for other NRL coaches who object to the Canberra Raiders' efficiency at stripping the ball in tackles: Don't get bitter, get better.

"I thought it was a ridiculous comment last week about having to eliminate that rule. Just because you can't do something doesn't mean you have to get rid of it.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/16/rid ... ing-rules/
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I’m getting the sense Ricky is quite the fan of the one on one strip...
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: August 14, 2019, 9:53 am J: Trent Robinson doesnt like that peel away stripping rule - the journo was mumbling more, but hard to hear - then says Robbo said we do it really well. Do you have an opinion?
RS: There are a number of rules in the game at the moment that are putting far too much pressure on the refs.

J: mumbled but, I think he said 'is this 1 of them?'

RS: Ummm, thats 1 of them because a lot of the time they have to guess. I think they got a lot of them right tonight. Ummm, whether the rule stays or goes there are so many more rules in the game they we are creating and putting too much pressure on the blokes in the middle. I feel sorry for them because theres a lot of the time they have to guess on rules. Ummmm, we need to make it easier for them, not harder.
That’s what the man said, as transcribed by Matt.
Direct response to a direct question.

Stuart, now with the aid of 5 days to actually plan what he says to those reporters instead of giving his thoughts post game, walks those comments back, which is great, and what he should do. This is a rule that should stay and the club should fight for it.

How often do you see a politician make comment on policy that is not the party line, only to see them walk it back and “clarify” their position days later?
No different here, just a coach getting back to the correct party line.

If you guys want to look at this and completely ignore what the man said to a direct question when he wasn’t given time to carefully plan his message, that’s your prerogative. But I’m certainly not going to
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

One on one steals

Post by gangrenous »

Still missing the nuance there pig. He says “whether the rule stays or goes there are so many more rules”...

i.e. this rule is not what I want to focus on or discuss, and nor should the NRL as it’s part of a bigger problem. He couldn’t say “no, it’s not difficult for the refs to rule on I want the rule to stay” straight up as an answer because the Warriors were crippled by it a fortnight ago. But he moves away from talking about that rule exclusively as fast as he reasonably can without looking like a goose. He makes it clear that there’s an overall problem, changing one rule won’t fix that (so don’t change just the rule I like).
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Talk about digging deeper, your net is full on this one Piggy - there are too many balls for one man to pick up here! Take a deep breath, read back over a few pages, acknowledge you read this one wrong and get excited about game day. Otherwise you're just digging in quick sand 🤣
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Shut up Billy. Let the man dig.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gergreg wrote: August 17, 2019, 8:39 am Shut up Billy. Let the man dig.

Haha - I have visions of ‘Commical Ali’ the Iraq information minister trying to tell the world there was no war as there are tanks rolling in behind him on the live cross.

At some level you have to admire the effort in trying to defend an obviously indefensible position :roflmao
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Billy Walker wrote:
gergreg wrote: August 17, 2019, 8:39 am Shut up Billy. Let the man dig.

Haha - I have visions of ‘Commical Ali’ the Iraq information minister trying to tell the world there was no war as there are tanks rolling in behind him on the live cross.

At some level you have to admire the effort in trying to defend an obviously indefensible position :roflmao
Shoosh now Billy.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If you listen to his press conference yesterday: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/08 ... e-do-well/

Ricky Stuart said he

“...never said we should get rid of the rule. All I’ve said was we should try and make not just that rule, but a number of rules, black or white for the referees to make decisions on. It’s very hard for refs out there at times, so we’ve got to take rules away where they’re guessing.” 7:25 min mark.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

:D
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: August 17, 2019, 7:59 am Still missing the nuance there pig. He says “whether the rule stays or goes there are so many more rules”...

i.e. this rule is not what I want to focus on or discuss, and nor should the NRL as it’s part of a bigger problem. He couldn’t say “no, it’s not difficult for the refs to rule on I want the rule to stay” straight up as an answer because the Warriors were crippled by it a fortnight ago. But he moves away from talking about that rule exclusively as fast as he reasonably can without looking like a goose. He makes it clear that there’s an overall problem, changing one rule won’t fix that (so don’t change just the rule I like).
He answered a direct question, and then shifts the conversation to other parts of the game he’s unhappy with. But he was asked directly about that rule and answered it directly before the move, the reporter even confirms that this rule was one he was speaking to, and he confirms it was.

5 days later his messaging has changed to align more with what most of us think of the rule. He’s done the right thing by walking his previous comments back.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

This x100.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

PigRickman wrote:
gangrenous wrote: August 17, 2019, 7:59 am Still missing the nuance there pig. He says “whether the rule stays or goes there are so many more rules”...

He answered a direct question, and then shifts the conversation to other parts of the game he’s unhappy with. But he was asked directly about that rule and answered it directly before the move, the reporter even confirms that this rule was one he was speaking to, and he confirms it was.

5 days later his messaging has changed to align more with what most of us think of the rule. He’s done the right thing by walking his previous comments back.
I’ve explained it as clearly as I can. The journalists are trying to drag him into a discussion on that rule and every time he works away from it as quickly as he can.

You’re Robinson Crusoe here pigman.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I like the idea of the ball carrier holding on for dear life when he sees Hodgo involved in a tackle.

Their first thought is hold the ball super tight..not offload !!

We didn't invent the rule, but we have mastered it..

Play on.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: August 17, 2019, 10:44 am
PigRickman wrote:

I’ve explained it as clearly as I can. The journalists are trying to drag him into a discussion on that rule and every time he works away from it as quickly as he can.

You’re Robinson Crusoe here pigman.
Firstly, around here that wouldn’t concern me one iota. Wouldn’t be the first and won’t be the last

Secondly, apparently not Robinson Crusoe given the club has made a concerted effort to correct the message, including Stuart specifically addressing his response to that question.

The club obviously felt their messaging/RL politiking needed to be corrected. So here they are correcting it.

Not much more to be said.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Don’t worry gangers
It’s the storm at 5:30pm today, I’m sure we’ll have something else to argue about this time tomorrow ;)
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

No we won’t!

Man 5:30 can’t come fast enough.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

so how good are one on one strips
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

What a clutch play from Hodgo

He was **** **** most of the night, but puts us in position to win the game when it mattered
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

PigRickman wrote: August 17, 2019, 7:59 pm What a clutch play from Hodgo

He was **** **** most of the night, but puts us in position to win the game when it mattered
Yeah he was rocks and diamonds but shined when it mattered. I didn’t see anything wrong with Lui’s steel he got pinged for unless held was called