One on one steals

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: One on one steals

Post by Northern Raider »

PigRickman wrote: August 13, 2019, 9:22 pm It's a good point, what other code allows for possession to be maintained simply because you had it first?

RU you can relieve possession at any time
NFL you can relieve possession at any time
Soccer you can relieve possession at any time
Basketball you can relieve possession at any time
Hockey you can relieve possession at any time

Basically every sport where "possession" is a thing, possesion is constantly contested. Except RL.
I missed one. Netball you can't take the ball off the opposition. You can only intercept a pass.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

That'll fit in nicely with the RL purests who want this rule gone... ignoring the fact this was was always the rule up until NSWRL decided Alfie Langer was too good at it, and got it scrapped... NRL, just like Netball!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: August 13, 2019, 6:50 pm Well I hope we win the Grand Final due solely to a Josh Hodgson one-on-one steal!
That would be a seriously sweet outcome! The only thing to top it would be a replay well after the conversation taken that actually showed 2 in the tackle 😂

I noticed a period late in the second half on the weekend where the roosters were making easy yards after contact. I have no doubt there were a number of tackles where our defenders weren’t fully committed to stopping the attacking player. Good contact was made, but the second and third man were clearly ready to drop off if the call game from the man on the ball.

I like the rule - not enough contestable possession in the game and like Raps said... we’re good at it!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PigRickman wrote: August 13, 2019, 8:29 pm
greeneyed wrote: August 13, 2019, 8:13 pm If Stuart didn’t like it, he wouldn’t be doing it. You’ve listened closely enough to his press conference on Sunday.
It's hard to hear the exact question but the exchange is:

Reporter: inaudible.. Trent Robinson... he doesnt like that peal off stripping... inaudible... you do it really well but he doesnt like that rule, do you have an opnion?

Stuart: I think there are a number of rules in the game at the moment that are putting far too much preasure on the referees.

Reporter: Is that one of them?

Stuart: Well it is one of them because it's one they have to guess. I think they got a lot of them right tonight. Whether the rule stays or goes there is so many more rules in the game that we're creating and putting too much pressure on the blokes in the middle. I feel sorry for them because its a lot of time they have to guess on rules. We need to make it a little easier on them, not making it harder. And the game you're talking about wanting to fasten the game and get more football, i dont know what the statistics of it all is but the amount of stoppages in play at the moment, i dont know why its come about, but the amount of stoppages in 80 minutes of football today at the moment is... its far greater than what it has been in the last couple of years.

------

If you interpret that as him being in support of the rule, you've got rocks in your damn head. He states very clearly that rules are making it harder on officials and we shouldnt be doing that, and that this is one of the rules that does it. Honestly GE.

Stuart is doing it because it's a rule and its there to be exploited and we're good at it. That's his job. He's smart enough to not let his personal feelings get in the way of winning football games. He does not like the rule. That much is absolutely clear
That's Ricky Stuart converting a question about the steal into answering a question about the stoppages tactic used by the Roosters.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It's Ricky Stuart being asked directly what he thinks about the rule.

Then it's Ricky stating that there are too many rules that put pressure on the officals.

Then it's a reporter asking directly if this stripping rule is one of those rules that puts undue pressure on the officals

Then it's Ricky staying it is, and that we should be making life easier on the officers not harder
You've lost your friggin mind.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

One on one steals

Post by gangrenous »

Northern Raider wrote: I missed one. Netball you can't take the ball off the opposition. You can only intercept a pass.
Yeah but in netball what can you do without passing? **** all that’s what. You ain’t going nowhere.
Last edited by gangrenous on August 13, 2019, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It isn't my problem if you're not astute enough to work out what Ricky was ultimately driving at.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

:lol:
Yeah that's definitely it.
Im not astute enough to ignore the man's direct answers to direct questions and draw long bows to suit a narrative i want to put forward.
He's made his thoughts clear, GE.

Christ on a bike.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gangrenous wrote: August 13, 2019, 9:37 pm
Northern Raider wrote: I missed one. Netball you can't take the ball off the opposition. You can only intercept a pass.
Yeah but in netball what can you do . without passing? **** all that’s what. You ain’t going nowhere.
....but only for 3 seconds. :)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If you can't read between the lines, it's not my problem. He starts out by generalising "there are a number of rules"... and he actually, very cleverly, IMO, makes the point he wanted to make about stoppages. And the tactics of the Roosters in the match just passed. I think Ricky has been very smart, very clever in his press conferences this year. I fully back Ricky in his complaint about how the Roosters exploited the rules about stoppages.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

All those codes are vastly different to our game, with the exception of Rugby Union.

Ridiculous to compare other codes in the case of this rule.

For most of those codes, frequent possession changes are fundamental to the game.

Rugby League’s tackle limit manages that perfectly fine.

NFL I’m not very familiar with.

And Netball don’t want to encourage contact.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: August 13, 2019, 9:41 pm If you can't read between the lines, it's not my problem.
There is nothing to read between the lines. There is no pre text. It's just text. If you want to craft fanciful theories about what Stuart is not saying instead of... y'know... actually listening to what he actually SAID, that's not my problem

This is absolutely wild, even by your lofty standard haha
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:It isn't my problem if you're not astute enough to work out what Ricky was ultimately driving at.
Yeah, it's obviously two experienced coaches having a dig at the opposition's tactical strengths leading into the finals. Happens every single year about this time.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: August 13, 2019, 9:41 pm All those codes are vastly different to our game, with the exception of Rugby Union.

For most of those codes, frequent possession changes are fundamental to the game.

I'm not comparing codes. I'm saying every other game you are allowed to take the ball away from the opposition. Possession is always there to be contested.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: August 13, 2019, 9:44 pm
greeneyed wrote:It isn't my problem if you're not astute enough to work out what Ricky was ultimately driving at.
Yeah, it's obviously two experienced coaches having a dig at the opposition's tactical strengths leading into the finals. Happens every single year about this time.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Do you have an opinion on this rule?
I think we place too much pressure on officials. And i dont think that is what we should be doing
Is this a rule that does that?
Yes

GH reaction:
Stuart loves the rule!

:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2019, 9:46 pm
yeh raiders wrote: August 13, 2019, 9:41 pm All those codes are vastly different to our game, with the exception of Rugby Union.

I'm not comparing codes. I'm saying every other game you are allowed to take the ball away from the opposition. Possession is always there to be contested.
And you can in Rugby League, when it’s a 1-1 contest :D

(Or at least if/when they change the rule back)

There’s just not enough in the attackers favour IMO, when he has 1 bloke around the legs, another pulling his free arm one way and the other bloke performing a Cumberland throw on his ball carrying arm.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

yeh raiders wrote: August 13, 2019, 9:51 pm There’s just not enough in the attackers favour IMO, when he has 1 bloke around the legs, another pulling his free arm one way and the other bloke performing a Cumberland throw on his ball carrying arm.
The entire code is being legislated in the attackers favour, haha.
Literally everything they do is to create more scoring and make life harder on defenders!

They threw defenders one bone, ONE SINGLE bone, and it occurs about once every 2 games, closer to once every 3 games when you take Josh Hodgson out of it... and everyone loses their minds.
Christ.
Last edited by Botman on August 13, 2019, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: August 13, 2019, 9:51 pm
Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2019, 9:46 pm

And you can in Rugby League, when it’s a 1-1 contest :D

(Or at least if/when they change the rule back)

There’s just not enough in the attackers favour IMO, when he has 1 bloke around the legs, another pulling his free arm one way and the other bloke performing a Cumberland throw on his ball carrying arm.
So if you want to keep the ball hold on to the **** thing. Just like every other code.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

The attacker is having it stolen from him with the full force of the opponent, while the attacker cannot properly balance himself to maintain proper possession.

You make it sound like the attacker is volunteering the ball due to poor security. If that were the case, we’d see so many more errors in the game.

As for the game being legislated toward the attackers.... how about 7 tackle sets and stricter obstruction rules? Where do they fit in to that notion.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

yeh raiders wrote: August 13, 2019, 9:59 pm As for the game being legislated toward the attackers.... how about 7 tackle sets and stricter obstruction rules? Where do they fit in to that notion.
Mate... the 7 tackle rule is ABSOLUTELY designed to get teams into the red zone quicker and easier to create more points. Haha. What the **** are you talking about?
The code wants the game played in the 20's. This rule does that more effectively than anything they've implimented since the 40/20... and that's much harder to achieve.

"Stricter" obstruction rules are a response to the alarming inconsistency. It's not more strict, its just been made a black and white rule to eliminate, or at least restrict judgement calls. It's actually more lax, you can legally impact defenders now, so long as the ball is recieved on the outside shoulder of a block runner.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: August 13, 2019, 9:59 pm The attacker is having it stolen from him with the full force of the opponent, while the attacker cannot properly balance himself to maintain proper possession.

You make it sound like the attacker is volunteering the ball due to poor security. If that were the case, we’d see so many more errors in the game.

As for the game being legislated toward the attackers.... how about 7 tackle sets and stricter obstruction rules? Where do they fit in to that notion.
I'm not saying anything like that. It's only how your mind is processing it. If it's so difficult for the attacking team to keep the ball we would see a lot more than strips during a game than we currently do.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I hate the seven tackle rule. The coaches came up with that one too. They came up with no stripping the ball. They came up with no striking at the ball in the ruck. They came up with no striking at the ball in the scrum... and allowing second row feeds, feeds to the lock's feet... essentially uncontested scrums. The coaches have come up with rule change after rule change designed to allow them to set their robots out on the field to run their boring repetitive set plays. It has taken the romance and drama out of the game! Let's bring it back!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: August 13, 2019, 10:08 pm I hate the seven tackle rule. The coaches came up with that one too. They came up with no stripping the ball. They came up with no striking at the ball in the ruck. They came up with no striking at the ball in the scrum... and allowing second row feeds, feeds to the lock's feet... essentially uncontested scrums. The coaches have come up with rule change after rule change designed to allow them to set their robots out on the field to run their boring repetitive set plays. It has taken the romance and drama out of the game! Let's bring it back!
Good point. The ability to contest possession has been gradually eroded to a point where it's virtually nonexistent. A rule gets slightly modified so 1 on 1 steals actually become possible again and now we hear cries of outrage about how unfair it is and it's "ruining the game".
Last edited by Northern Raider on August 13, 2019, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

PigRickman wrote: August 13, 2019, 10:04 pm
yeh raiders wrote: August 13, 2019, 9:59 pm As for the game being legislated toward the attackers.... how about 7 tackle sets and stricter obstruction rules? Where do they fit in to that notion.
Mate... the 7 tackle rule is ABSOLUTELY designed to get teams into the red zone quicker and easier to create more points. Haha. What the **** are you talking about?
The code wants the game played in the 20's. This rule does that more effectively than anything they've implimented since the 40/20... and that's much harder to achieve.

"Stricter" obstruction rules are a response to the alarming inconsistency. It's not more strict, its just been made a black and white rule to eliminate, or at least restrict judgement calls. It's actually more lax, you can legally impact defenders now, so long as the ball is recieved on the outside shoulder of a block runner.
And the way it’s applied, if you get an attacking kick slightly wrong I.e. a grubber or cross field bomb... you’ve just given away not only 20 metres but 7 tackles. That’s additional pressure on the attacking team to come up with a perfect last tackle option.

Your explanation of the obstruction rule is correct and it’s absolutely fair the way it is... but it doesn’t favour attackers, the rule is clearly applied to give BOTD to the defending team. A good example being the one from the other night where the entire channel 9 team blew up calling for “common sense” to be applied.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2019, 10:06 pm
yeh raiders wrote: August 13, 2019, 9:59 pm The attacker is having it stolen from him with the full force of the opponent, while the attacker cannot properly balance himself to maintain proper possession.

I'm not saying anything like that. It's only how your mind is processing it. If it's so difficult for the attacking team to keep the ball we would see a lot more than strips during a game than we currently do.
We would... if teams were ALL coaching for it like we are.

And I’m dreading the absolute mess it’s going to cause when more attackers start shirt grabbing to keep the defenders engaged in the tackle. The refs are going to love dealing with that.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: August 13, 2019, 10:17 pm

And I’m dreading the absolute mess it’s going to cause when more attackers start shirt grabbing to keep the defenders engaged in the tackle. The refs are going to love dealing with that.
...or maybe players and coaches will be more aware of it and get better at securing the ball.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2019, 10:20 pm

...or maybe players and coaches will be more aware of it and get better at securing the ball.
Are you happy to sacrifice offloads/quick POTB?

I don’t think you can have both.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

So you know... back when, when you could strip the ball in any circumstance... when you could strike for the ball in the play the ball... when scrums were a contest... how did the poor old referees ever cope?! They only had one referee and they did fine. All of these changes have been detrimental to the code, they've only been made because coaches didn't like contests for the ball, because it stopped them from running their set plays and getting their kicks away in robotic fashion. The coaches have had far too much say in how the game's rules should evolve. They've had far too much say in how the game's rules should be officiated.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: August 13, 2019, 10:22 pm

Yes you can. Just because a player is trying to steal the ball doesn't mean he should be allowed to slow the play down. If he he's not allowing the tackled player to play it the blow a penalty.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Honestly, I loathe Union scrums.

They’re an absolute mess. They pack the thing a dozen times to eventually just blow a penalty...

The former style (which died about 10-15 years ago) of rugby league scrum where it was backs vs backs was enjoyable to watch. But that’s no longer the case. It’s all about defensive formations now.

I think we should get rid of scrums altogether.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2019, 10:24 pm

Yes you can. Just because a player is trying to steal the ball doesn't mean he should be allowed to slow the play down. If he he's not allowing the tackled player to play it the blow a penalty.
Of course he shouldn’t, but when two players are contesting for a ball it inevitably leads to a delay before the tackle is complete.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: August 13, 2019, 10:26 pm Honestly, I loathe Union scrums.

They’re an absolute mess. They pack the thing a dozen times to eventually just blow a penalty...

The former style (which died about 10-15 years ago) of rugby league scrum where it was backs vs backs was enjoyable to watch. But that’s no longer the case. It’s all about defensive formations now.

True, scrums have become somewhat obsolete in rugby league with the gradual watering down of the contest. Doesn't really matter of they stay or go.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: August 13, 2019, 10:29 pm
Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2019, 10:24 pm

Of course he shouldn’t, but when two players are contesting for a ball it inevitably leads to a delay before the tackle is complete.
Again, of it's used to slow down the play then give a penalty. No need to change one rule when all you need to do is enforce the other.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2019, 10:30 pm
yeh raiders wrote: August 13, 2019, 10:26 pm Honestly, I loathe Union scrums.

True, scrums have become somewhat obsolete in rugby league with the gradual watering down of the contest. Doesn't really matter of they stay or go.
Can't agree scrums should go. They drag half the players into a point on the field, and open up the rest of the field. That sort of variety is important, it adds an attacking opportunity.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

The harder part of the game for referees to rule is when there are several players in a tackle and the ball pops out.. was it stripped/forced out or was it lost/a loose carry by the attacker?

One thing I like about this new rule in place is there’s more onus on the attacker not to have a loose carry, because if defenders can spot this they can drop tacklers off and take the ball legally removing doubt from the referee that the ball is now theirs legally.. Rather than continuing on with the group tackle and have the ball pop out because the attacking player wasn’t holding the ball securely and getting a penalty for it almost half the time since it’s more of a lottery to rule on.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine